The downside of resurrected rarities

2»

Comments

• JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    Elitism in any regard is unfortunate. This whole debate about rarities is kind of weak, I don't see the point. People want to hear rare songs just so they can say they saw them, even if the songs aren't very good?

YAY!

My enjoyment of Nothingman last night was off the charts, it was perfect, the band and the audience as one. My enjoyment of Sweet Lew and Black Red Yellow was far, far less. That's not because I don't know the songs but because there is nothing like being at a show when the *entire* crowd is on the same page during a song. You need the hits for that.

Give me Given to Fly, Black, or Betterman over Sweet Lew, Mankind, Dirty Frank, or Black Red Yellow every.single.time.
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    i go from wanting to hear 27 rarities on a set to 27 *hits*

i think the band always do a great job of mixing it up

you really get the sense that the band like to keep it fresh for themselves as much as for us and thats pretty cool
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282
    Am I uber-elite since I saw Bugs live? Yeah, so suck it! :roll: I hate that song on the album, but I have to say, it was kinda cool to see it live. I think it's great the band mixes up the set list every night. I wonder if in ten years, the band will still be touring, and all we'll get are the hits. Let's just enjoy it while we can!
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    As a "collector" of hearing rarities played live like most of us diehards, the downside is when you have a true rarity that you think you may never see played again, and now they've pulled it back out and have put it in a somewhat regular rotation, it kind of ruins it for those of us who heard it before it was buried.

Example: Push me, Pull me. I was at the show in DC in 1998, which was the third time they played it, and the last since 1998 (up until Philly last year). now, they've played it twice on this tour. purely selfish, i realize, but it's not quite as much of a rarity now. it is an amazing song to hear live, even though I really didn't care for it until i heard it live.

This makes absolutely no sense to me... ITS OKAY to bring rarities into rotation.. we're not gonna live forever ya know.. we might as well make the most of it and hear it all as much as we can .. Some people arnt into hearing rarities just because they are rare.. some of us really just like the more off beat tunes and appreciate them in ways that most can't/don't
  • my thing is i really dont care what anyone else hears. haha maybe thats selfish but i just dont care! you've heard Wash twenty times! guess what? i dont care. i've never heard it. all that really matters is what songs ive heard. I finally got In My Tree this tour and it isnt somehow less special that they've played it for others. this weird competitiveness is somthing i'll never understand.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Yea it sucks that they played Sweet Lew again since Philly.

Oh wait, I saw the second performance too. :D

:D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen:

HELLL YEAH!!! :lol:8-)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    The downside of rarities for me is when they butcher them. It's not fun hearing a rare song when half the band doesn't know how it goes.

I was disappointed Ed messed up the lyrics so much for Alone in Columbus, but some fuck ups, like Satan's Bed at State College, can still be great.

I have no complaint about them bringing back songs that haven't been played in a while, even if I can no longer say I was there last time they played BRY. The only time I thought a particular rarity was being played a little too much was 2008 with Hard to Imagine. It wasn't that I didn't want others to hear it live, it's just because Ed had said at a couple shows that HTI was a song they saved for special occasions, then a couple years later they play once every three shows.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    This whole thread is motivating me to start the ******PLEASE PLAY ONE NOTE ON THE NEXT TOUR******* petition.

I seriously think that some of these songs are b-sides and rarities for a reason. I gotta be honest, BRY is NOT that good of a song. Sorry. I get that it isn't played often and the band probably has a reason for that. But it does go to show that they bend over backwards for us fans by honoring many requests. But no one will ever be happy. Next tour there will be an official *********PLEASE REPLACE MATT CAMERON WITH JACK IRONS AT BOTH MSG SHOWS SO WE CAN HEAR WHALE SONG AND THE TRUE IN MY TREE AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT PLEASE PLAY RED DOT***************
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • JimMacLeodJimMacLeod Posts: 107
    Meh. Back in '94, I had friends that were jealous that I had seen Yellow Ledbetter in concert.

These days I don't feel the need to brag about the rarities that I've seen, so I'm happy with whatever I see.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The downside of rarities for me is when they butcher them. It's not fun hearing a rare song when half the band doesn't know how it goes.
    kinda like mankind on thursday. stone sounded good but the rest of the band struggled bad. you could tell they hardly ever practice it. some rare songs you can tell they work on.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?