Ushers with setlists at MSG

2»

Comments

• nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    I can understand peoples disdain for having the setlist spoiled for them. I mean, if you were at the movies seeing "The Sixth Sense" you wouldn't want one of the ticket takers saying, "Enjoy the movie, and by the way, Bruce Willis character is a ghost the whole time." On the flip side, I don't think an MSG usher should be fired for such an offense.

WTF?!?!?

Thanks a lot. I rented that for tonight. MIght as well watch the setlist thread. Unless somebody has a copy of the setlist too. Last night there were some hints given and such. Not cool.
    :lol:
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • catschellercatscheller Posts: 228
    I have to (shamefully) admit that I would be one of those people who would want to see the setlist for 2 reasons: 1) to know when would be a good time to hit the bathroom if absolutely necessary (yes, I know many of you would say that there is no such thing as a "time to hit the bathroom" PJ song, but if I'm about to pee my pants, I'd like to know that a song I just think is ok is coming up rather than one of my favorites) and 2) to know ahead of time if that one song I've been dying to hear them play will be played. If it's not, as is usually my luck, I could better enjoy the rest of the show without wondering, "will it be next? will it be after this song? maybe????"

However, what I would like to know is any practical reason why ushers would need a setlist in the first place.
    Columbus, OH 6/24/03
    Columbus, OH 5/6/10
    Cincinnati, OH 10/1/14
  • WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    OMG! I did see that last night. The security guy, he was tough in not allowing people jam themselves into other peoples rows when they didn't belong there. I am thankful. But I did notice him with a setlist before the show started! I saw people ask him about it but I just ignored it. How come is hard for us fans to get the setlist after the show ends and these security people have it before the show even starts???!!!?? :evil:
  • I can understand peoples disdain for having the setlist spoiled for them. I mean, if you were at the movies seeing "The Sixth Sense" you wouldn't want one of the ticket takers saying, "Enjoy the movie, and by the way, Bruce Willis character is a ghost the whole time." On the flip side, I don't think an MSG usher should be fired for such an offense.

WTF?!?!?

Thanks a lot. I rented that for tonight. MIght as well watch the setlist thread. Unless somebody has a copy of the setlist too. Last night there were some hints given and such. Not cool.
    :lol:

Whoops...
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Somebody should make up some fakes and distribute them tonight.

That would be rad!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I'd be pretty pissed if people told me what songs were coming. I love that split second of anticipation after they finish one song and before another one starts.

I just dont understand why the ushers would need setlists in the first place...doesnt make much sense to me.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    jamburger wrote:
    First of all: why?
    Second: They need to keep that shit to themselves. I disliked over hearing people who snagged a setlist from an usher blab about what songs they were gonna play.

Why not blame those overzealous fans then? The usher probably thought he/she was being a nice guy/gal giving the setlist to whomever asked. Why didn't you ask the people you overheard not to spoil your fun?

I agree with you actually. Its really more the fans' fault. And other people were in fact telling them not to spoil it, so I felt no need to join the conversation, it would have just been one more distraction.

However, I still thought it was strange for the ushers to have setlists at all. I get that maybe it helps them plan for the end of the show when people start leaving, but on the other hand, turning on the house lights during the last song, as Pearl Jam always does, is a pretty good cue, and having the whole setlist seems unnecessary for this this kind of planning.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i'm back...this thread is like a car wreck, i can't look away

ok, its a slight bummer to get tipped off about the setlist...but its not an OUTRAGE...and i still don't get where it says anywhere in the world that a setlist is to remain a mystery, kept under lock and key with armed guards protecting it

and to imply that ushers with UNION jobs (whose worlds don't revolve around PJ and their setlists, believe it or not) would or should be FIRED for breaking a rule that ISN'T EVEN A RULE anywhere in the world other than on the PJ Message Pit, that is what is so ludicrous i can't freakin stand it

anyhow, i have a Pearl jam show to look forward to, i must clear my mind of negative thoughts
    As the person who started this thread, I just want to be clear that I don't want anyone fired. I have mixed feelings about the ushers passing them out, but I think my main point is to question why they have them at all and perhaps implore fellow fans to just be more discreet when they get there hands on one of these.
  • nevermind
  • I'd be pretty pissed if people told me what songs were coming. I love that split second of anticipation after they finish one song and before another one starts.

I just dont understand why the ushers would need setlists in the first place...doesnt make much sense to me.

I agree 110%. I love that mixed ball of emotions-anticipation, excitement, happiness, relief-all in a matter of seconds. I've been to some other big shows with a leaked setlist-tool and system of a down- and it fucks it up for me. Just something not right-you know instantly if you have anything to look forward to, maybe lots of disappointment, and it really sucks when you know there is no chance of a certain song being played, or chance of an encore.
    Granted-not knowing the setlist will not get that one song played, but at least you can have the feelings of anticipation and hope that they will.
    "Before his first step.. he is off again."

6/24/06-Cincinnati
    5/1/10- Jazz Fest
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i was standing next to an usher and like 5 people asked him for a setlist on the way out. he had no idea what they were talking about. and then his response was priceless the sixth time.

he asked the guy "were you here the whole show"

guy "yes"

usher "go home and write the songs down then"
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    edited May 2010
    Well I happen to know a few security guys who work @ MSG and I really don't think they think too much about set lists and about all the obsession about them .
    Don't know why they got them. Guess I'll have to ask...

For alot of these guys it's a second job, and the pay ain't high. My friend worked the 2 shows plus earlier events in the day. It's tough on your feet, your back, your ears...give 'em a break! Been to alot of different arenas and MSG ushers & security are the nicest, easy going ones by far :D
    Post edited by GirlInRed on
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • WashMyLove wrote:
    OMG! I did see that last night. The security guy, he was tough in not allowing people jam themselves into other peoples rows when they didn't belong there. I am thankful. But I did notice him with a setlist before the show started! I saw people ask him about it but I just ignored it. How come is hard for us fans to get the setlist after the show ends and these security people have it before the show even starts???!!!?? :evil:

The guy by me was awesome about that. Section 5 on the floor. The later it got, more and more people kept trying in to sneak in and crowd the aisle. He was having none of it. It was the anti-Camden 2003, when once the music started, people just went wherever they felt like, even if it meant walking right in front of you