Ushers with setlists at MSG

Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
edited May 2010 in The Porch
First of all: why?
Second: They need to keep that shit to themselves. I disliked over hearing people who snagged a setlist from an usher blab about what songs they were gonna play.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• my buddy went to the bathroom around You Are, and rushed back caus ethe "Guy in the bathroom" told him Love Reign O'er Me was gonna be next. He didn't want to hear anymore, but the guy spilled the beans about Alive and Porch and a few others. Seriously, WTF?! How does a guy in the bathroom in the 300's have the setlist?
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    my buddy went to the bathroom around You Are, and rushed back caus ethe "Guy in the bathroom" told him Love Reign O'er Me was gonna be next. He didn't want to hear anymore, but the guy spilled the beans about Alive and Porch and a few others. Seriously, WTF?! How does a guy in the bathroom in the 300's have the setlist?
    exactly.
    those ushers had like a bunch of copies. but i really couldn't believe people were reading them -
    why would anyone want to know what songs were coming? I don't get it
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I would be pissed if i was told what was coming.......this is weird.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Wow ... that's weak.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well, it is the worlds most famous arena, this is the kind of organization they have!

when my cover band plays at bars, we give the DJ and some friends a copy of the setlist...no big deal

msg is much more professional, so ushers get setlists, apparently...no big deal

some people want to think its all magic, PJ don't reherase, they aren't organized, they just walk out and make magic, complete with lighting and security and beer and t shirts for sale...but a lot goes into it, my friends
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    That better not happen to me tonight. I would lose my mind if someone told me the setlist ahead of time.
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • 4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,224
    at the VIC show I was right by the soundboard and the setlist was right there and I fought the urge to look at it the entire time I was standing there. it was rough

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,355
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Yeah but won't they sign an agreement, working @ the MSG or any other forum/arena taking that usher job & allowing to get a copy of that setlist to not blab mouth to the fan's coming to the show what songs will be played tonight? If they all got the setlists? I'm surprised now those ushers don't just come to the boards or to their facebook/twitter accounts during their break & just post what will be played tonight under a fake account or something.

Plus it's the worlds most famous stage in the world. You would think they get payed very and that they would know better not to go around & tell other's what song's will be played tonight. :|
    demetrios wrote:
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Yeah but won't they sign an agreement, working @ the MSG or any other forum/arena taking that usher job & allowing to get a copy of that setlist to not blab mouth to the fan's coming to the show what songs will be played tonight? If they all got the setlists? I'm surprised now those ushers don't just come to the boards or to their facebook/twitter accounts during their break & just post what will be played tonight under a fake account or something.

Plus it's the worlds most famous stage in the world. You would think they get payed very and that they would know better not to go around & tell other's what song's will be played tonight. :|
    where is it said or written anywhere that a bands setlist is top secret classified information?
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    well, it is the worlds most famous arena, this is the kind of organization they have!

when my cover band plays at bars, we give the DJ and some friends a copy of the setlist...no big deal

some people want to think its all magic, PJ don't reherase, they aren't organized, they just walk out and make magic, complete with lighting and security and beer and t shirts for sale...but a lot goes into it, my friends

Don't compare your cover band playing a bar to PJ playing MSG.

I've never, at any show, found out about the setlist before it was played, unless of course the band played the same thing night after night.

I don't think anybody is sayin there isn't alotta organization that goes into it, but why would security need enough copies of the setlists that they can just hand them out willynilly?
  • in eds treein eds tree Posts: 539
    StuffnJunk wrote:

mmmmmmmkay buddy :thumbup: thanks for enlightening us

i wouldn't want to know what was coming. that's like someone coming to you christmas eve and telling you everything santa is bringing.
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,355
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    where is it said or written anywhere that a bands setlist is top secret classified information?

So being an usher, you are aloud to tell the fans, friends & all patrients who enter your arena what songs are being played tonight, what's going on & who the special guest are that are listed on that setlist? While other's close by sitting in their chairs or walk by hear this? I think not! I'm guessing these usher's who blabbermouthed in the bathroom or to other's don't really care, and if caught could cost them their job.
    demetrios wrote:
    StuffnJunk wrote:

So being an usher, you are aloud to tell the fans, friends & all patrients who enter your arena what songs are being played tonight, what's going on & who the special guest are that are listed on that setlist? While other's close by sitting in their chairs or walk by hear this? I think not! I'm guessing these usher's who blabbermouthed in the bathroom or to other's don't really care, and if caught could cost them their job.

it could cost them their job?!?!?!?! for telling people songs from the TOP SECRET setlist????

"sorry honey, i lost my job, we have to pull the kids out of private school...i told some pearl jam fans that State of Love and Trust was gonna be played as an encore"

and i'm saying that what ever it takes for my cover band to pull of a show at a bar, PJ @ MSG is that times a billion

ok, i'm done with this debate
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Thank you....Now maybe somebody will come and tell what is really up, b/c you were just spewing nonsense.

What if an usher at a movie theater told everybody what was coming... He'd be fired.

You give your setlist to a dj every time you play?? Wouldn't you be upset if he told everybody what was coming?
  • nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    StuffnJunk wrote:

it could cost them their job?!?!?!?! for telling people songs from the TOP SECRET setlist????

"sorry honey, i lost my job, we have to pull the kids out of private school...i told some pearl jam fans that State of Love and Trust was gonna be played as an encore"

and i'm saying that what ever it takes for my cover band to pull of a show at a bar, PJ @ MSG is that times a billion

Why are you arguing this? Would you like to see the setlist beforehand?
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    First of all: why?
    Second: They need to keep that shit to themselves. I disliked over hearing people who snagged a setlist from an usher blab about what songs they were gonna play.

Why not blame those overzealous fans then? The usher probably thought he/she was being a nice guy/gal giving the setlist to whomever asked. Why didn't you ask the people you overheard not to spoil your fun?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    It could honestly just be security guards who don't know a lot about the band so they didn't understand how big of a deal the mystery/anticipation of a show's setlist is. If you figured Pearl Jam was just like U2 or other bands whose setlists rarely change you probably wouldn't think twice about mentioning what was coming next.

But that said, i sure wouldn't want to know.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    it has nothing to do with us thinking nothing gets put into a pearl jam show, we know a lot goes into it and that they rehearse and are organized. no one is questioning that. we would just like to be surprised about the setlist thats all. it is a lot like spoiling the end of a movie.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter Posts: 2,832
    i just hate how some of them lie about it...i asked them for it for after the show (cuz i dont like to kno songs either) but they said they didnt kno what i was talking about or didnt have one...maybe its only the ushers by the front of floor and side stages by VIP
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    i just hate how some of them lie about it...i asked them for it for after the show (cuz i dont like to kno songs either) but they said they didnt kno what i was talking about or didnt have one...maybe its only the ushers by the front of floor and side stages by VIP
    I THINK all of the front ushers had it - even the ones not near the side stages.

BUT... the ones near those VIP sections had a bunch of them. I saw them passing them around to everyone in the area... I wanted to look even though I was trying not to :) but I was too far away anyway... but it was definitely weird. I think in Philly 4 the same thing happened.
    i'm back...this thread is like a car wreck, i can't look away

ok, its a slight bummer to get tipped off about the setlist...but its not an OUTRAGE...and i still don't get where it says anywhere in the world that a setlist is to remain a mystery, kept under lock and key with armed guards protecting it

and to imply that ushers with UNION jobs (whose worlds don't revolve around PJ and their setlists, believe it or not) would or should be FIRED for breaking a rule that ISN'T EVEN A RULE anywhere in the world other than on the PJ Message Pit, that is what is so ludicrous i can't freakin stand it

anyhow, i have a Pearl jam show to look forward to, i must clear my mind of negative thoughts
  • Seems like the issue is really with some of the fans just not being courteous to those that don't want to know the setlists. I can appreciate that some people don't want to know, while others do...but keep it to yourself because, like someone mentioned earlier, it'd be like ruining the end of a movie for some people. I just don't see this being so much about the band, venue or ushers...
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i've never seen this, but i don't think it would bother me.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    One other note...

If you think the ushers should be fired... the soundboard in the back of the floor almost always has the setlist up before the show. So if you walk by and look over you can see it.

So if you think ushers should be fired, so should part of their crew since its just sitting up for hours.
  • I can understand peoples disdain for having the setlist spoiled for them. I mean, if you were at the movies seeing "The Sixth Sense" you wouldn't want one of the ticket takers saying, "Enjoy the movie, and by the way, Bruce Willis character is a ghost the whole time." On the flip side, I don't think an MSG usher should be fired for such an offense.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    This is not something anyone should be fired for.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    demetrios wrote:
    StuffnJunk wrote:

I'm surprised now those ushers don't just come to the boards or to their facebook/twitter accounts during their break & just post what will be played tonight under a fake account or something.

I think you are overestimating them. They get paid to stand there for three or four hours and hold a flashlight for crying out loud. They're not necessarily facebook savy.
    If people don't wanna know the setlist, that's their right.

I really don't think the band would be down with security spillin the beans. I don't think any band would be happy to find that out.

If people complained about findin out and security kept tellin people, they should be fired. It's not in their job description to tell people what's gettin played.

If I'm gonna pay $75 a ticket, I want a PJ show and a huge part of that is not knowing what's next.
  • another reason why NYC and MSG suck !
  • I can understand peoples disdain for having the setlist spoiled for them. I mean, if you were at the movies seeing "The Sixth Sense" you wouldn't want one of the ticket takers saying, "Enjoy the movie, and by the way, Bruce Willis character is a ghost the whole time." On the flip side, I don't think an MSG usher should be fired for such an offense.

WTF?!?!?

Thanks a lot. I rented that for tonight. MIght as well watch the setlist thread. Unless somebody has a copy of the setlist too. Last night there were some hints given and such. Not cool.
    WOOT!