To all the people that..

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited May 2010 in The Porch
..say that it is uncool to wear a pearl jam shirt to a pearl jam show, take a hard look at Matt in the Boston pictures. He is wearing a pearl jam shirt.. Wear what ever the hell you want all the time, and keep your opinions to yourself..
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    absofuckinglutely
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
    F*ck that noise ! I got my black PJ grizzly bear T all ready to go !
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    keep your opinions to yourself..
    Yeah, what he said. Oh, wait...
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    bazzer wrote:
    keep your opinions to yourself..
    Yeah, what he said. Oh, wait...
    Touche.. just caught that.. oops..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    ..say that it is uncool to wear a pearl jam shirt to a pearl jam show, take a hard look at Matt in the Boston pictures. He is wearing a pearl jam shirt.. Wear what ever the hell you want all the time, and keep your opinions to yourself..

yeah, but that was just because he got sweaty in his tuxedo t-shirt before they hit the stage because he got schooled by Jeff in some one-on-one basketball, and the only thing lying around was an old PJ shirt.

haha, j/k, also Stone had one on in ACL.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134

irony
    that's why he's wearing it. do you honestly think he's wearing a pearl jam shirt to promote the band?
  • Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    LOL!

At the KC show I decided against it... and it's all because of that one f'n movie line in (I think) PCU about being "that guy"...

Of course when I got there, 75% of the people at the show were rocking PJ gear. Probably would have worn this shirt had I sacked up. :)

jsr01opj.jpg

... which is also what I'm wearing in my avatar pic.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    I've never done it before but tonight I'll be wearing the contest-winning wave shirt. I wore it in Hartford and was surprised I didn't see any others. Anybody seen people wearing it around?
  • Well, Matt's a geek. He knows it and is comfortable enough
    in his geekness to wear a shirt like that.
    I don't see the problem.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    Agree.

Bollocks to the haters...where that T with pride!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
    Agree.

Bollocks to the haters...where that T with pride!
    I need to start saying bollocks more.. and nutsack a lot less
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    I don't think it's because of that movie that people don't do it. As if the writers/Piven/whoever made up the rule. It's been an unwritten rule years before 1994. I don't do it, just don't want to and besides I have "concert" shirts and mostly they belong to bands that seldom come here. Some of my friends do it, and I'll give them shit about it, but they know it's all good fun.

We run into problems when certain bands (say Pearl Jam for instance) decide after 11.5 years to come back to NZ, so do I wear my favourite concert shirt (PJ) and break my personal rule or do I not? In the end, I don't care so much.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    also stone wore one on acl didn't he?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Wasn't Teddy Bruschi wearing a Patriots shirt at the Boston show?
  • Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686

If I kept my opinions to myself would it really be an opinion?

I don't wear concert shirts to concerts because I think it's stupid, but at the same time I couldn't give
    two shits what someone else wears. If you or anyone else wants to wear a concert shirt, then wear one.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    lettinggo wrote:
    absofuckinglutely

this
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    I've never done it before but tonight I'll be wearing the contest-winning wave shirt. I wore it in Hartford and was surprised I didn't see any others. Anybody seen people wearing it around?

i saw one in hartford

none in boston or buffalo

and it was a guy so i don't think it was you
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    If you don't want to wear your PJ t-shirt to a PJ concert...where the fxxx would you want to wear it?
    DS1119 wrote:
    If you don't want to wear your PJ t-shirt to a PJ concert...where the fxxx would you want to wear it?

bar
    shopping
    movies
    haircut
    restaurant
    friends house
    ... to name a few
    oh, or you could wear it at another bands concert! that way it's not tacky because you're showing people what other bands you listen to.
  • FeintFeint Posts: 31
    I wore this shirt to the show on Monday. Then I bought a shirt there...and got tired of holding it around 11 so I put it on...is that acceptable?
    Pearl Jam - Boston 5/17/10, Worcester 10/15/13, Worcester 10/16/13, Hartford 10/25/13
    EV Solo - Boston 6/16/11, Hartford 6/18/11
    Tres Mts. Boston 3/17/11, RNDM Boston 11/7/12
    Feint wrote:
    I wore this shirt to the show on Monday. Then I bought a shirt there...and got tired of holding it around 11 so I put it on...is that acceptable?

depends on who you talk to. i always thought it was okay to wear the bands shirt if you buy it at the concert you are seeing, but others say that is also against the rules.
    nice shirt btw
  • Whatever. PJ is my favorite fucking band, if I'm going to see THEM I have every reason to wear a PJ shirt. Besides, it's an easy way to spot and strike up a conversation with other PJ fans before and after the show. More often then not in fact, if I have a shirt for the band I'm seeing, I'll wear it.

It's called SUPPORTING the musician you are going to see! Besides how is this any god damn different then going to a sporting event with your team's shirt, jersey, or hat on?
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • arqarq Posts: 8,003
    I wear PJ tshirts almost every single day... and i even use 2 at the same time when i'm going to see them live!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
    Whatever. PJ is my favorite fucking band, if I'm going to see THEM I have every reason to wear a PJ shirt. Besides, it's an easy way to spot and strike up a conversation with other PJ fans before and after the show. More often then not in fact, if I have a shirt for the band I'm seeing, I'll wear it.

It's called SUPPORTING the musician you are going to see! Besides how is this any god damn different then going to a sporting event with your team's shirt, jersey, or hat on?

you'd think that buying cd's and spending the $60/70/80/100 on a ticket/tickets would be supportive enough. and what's that conversation going to sound like? "hey! you have a pearl jam shirt on at a pearl jam concert! me too! we must be super fans!!"

and the difference between concerts and sports is that with sports two teams are battling. you wear your fav teams jersey (etc) to show the opposing teams fans who you're going for... to rub it in.
    i'm pretty sure pearl jam isn't battling anyone on stage. it's a safe assumption to say that everyone at the concert is a pearl jam fan.... you don't need the shirt. we know you're a fan. we get it.
  • Whatever. PJ is my favorite fucking band, if I'm going to see THEM I have every reason to wear a PJ shirt. Besides, it's an easy way to spot and strike up a conversation with other PJ fans before and after the show. More often then not in fact, if I have a shirt for the band I'm seeing, I'll wear it.

you'd think that buying cd's and spending the $60/70/80/100 on a ticket/tickets would be supportive enough. and what's that conversation going to sound like? "hey! you have a pearl jam shirt on at a pearl jam concert! me too! we must be super fans!!"

and the difference between concerts and sports is that with sports two teams are battling. you wear your fav teams jersey (etc) to show the opposing teams fans who you're going for... to rub it in.
    i'm pretty sure pearl jam isn't battling anyone on stage. it's a safe assumption to say that everyone at the concert is a pearl jam fan.... you don't need the shirt. we know you're a fan. we get it.

Sure, it is a common assumption that most people at the show are obviously PJ fans, but is there a good reason to purposely abstain from wearing a PJ shirt? Is it REALLY that "nerdy"? It's not like Trekies or dumb ass kids showing up to book stores wearing Harry Potter "wizard" costumes the day a book goes on sale.

The "I'm too cool to wear the band's t-shirt so I'm going to wear a DIFFERENT band's shirt" notion is just as ridiculous IMO. And aside from that, "dressing up" for a concert is stupid too. Not quite "girl in slutty clothes and 4" heels" stupid for a guy to be wearing a button down, but dumb regardless. I go to a concert assuming that I'll be jumping up and down, sweating, possibly getting beer spilled on me, etc. I don't need to "dress up" for that.

As far as your sports example goes, what about going to a sports bar to watch the game wearing a jersey is not playing in town? Or wearing their stuff ANYWHERE but where the actual game is being played?
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
    Sure, it is a common assumption that most people at the show are obviously PJ fans, but is there a good reason to purposely abstain from wearing a PJ shirt? Is it REALLY that "nerdy"? It's not like Trekies or dumb ass kids showing up to book stores wearing Harry Potter "wizard" costumes the day a book goes on sale.

The "I'm too cool to wear the band's t-shirt so I'm going to wear a DIFFERENT band's shirt" notion is just as ridiculous IMO. And aside from that, "dressing up" for a concert is stupid too. Not quite "girl in slutty clothes and 4" heels" stupid for a guy to be wearing a button down, but dumb regardless. I go to a concert assuming that I'll be jumping up and down, sweating, possibly getting beer spilled on me, etc. I don't need to "dress up" for that.

As far as your sports example goes, what about going to a sports bar to watch the game wearing a jersey is not playing in town? Or wearing their stuff ANYWHERE but where the actual game is being played?

the reason why i abstain from wearing the bands shirt at a concert is because i think it's tacky. if people want to do it, that's cool. it's not hurting anyone. but mullets never hurt anyone, either. just sayin'.
    i do agree with the dressing up thing to an extent. if you're on the floor, that can be dangerous. but if you're in the upper bowl area, i doubt there will be too much jumping around.
    your sports question makes little to no sense... sorry. my point was that wearing the bands shirt to their concert is cheesy. wearing it everywhere else is fine. wearing a sports jersey to a sports bar is fine because, once again, there are two teams playing (on tv) and you want to rub it in to the opposing teams fans. i never once said it shouldn't be allowed to wear pearl jam (other bands, sports teams) shirts outside, so bringing up the "wearing their stuff anywhere" point is just pointless
    Is trying to believe in ufo's cheesy? I mean, if they existed, which they don't, but if they did, don't you think the little green men would find your avatar "tacky"? I guess i wonder why we surround ourselves with these things that define who we feel we are, or what we love or believe in, then police ourselves as to when it is appropriate to display these things.. kind of odd, wouldn't you say?
    Is trying to believe in ufo's cheesy? I mean, if they existed, which they don't, but if they did, don't you think the little green men would find your avatar "tacky"? I guess i wonder why we surround ourselves with these things that define who we feel we are, or what we love or believe in, then police ourselves as to when it is appropriate to display these things.. kind of odd, wouldn't you say?

haha someone's getting defensive. yes, that avatar would be tacky if i were to display it at an xfiles convention. you're completely missing the point that i'm making and getting defensive about it. did i once say that wearing pearl jams shirt is a bad thing.. no. i just think that wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing is tacky. many people feel this way. i'm not knocking you as a person lol
    also, they aren't green... grey would be a more appropriate description.
    and, if you actually read the picture, it says "i WANT to believe" not "i believe"

haha someone's getting defensive. yes, that avatar would be tacky if i were to display it at an xfiles convention. you're completely missing the point that i'm making and getting defensive about it. did i once say that wearing pearl jams shirt is a bad thing.. no. i just think that wearing the shirt of the band you are seeing is tacky. many people feel this way. i'm not knocking you as a person lol
    also, they aren't green... grey would be a more appropriate description.
    and, if you actually read the picture, it says "i WANT to believe" not "i believe"
    Not defensive.. just objective cause i am drunk!! but is it tacky for someone in a band to wear their own band's t shirt?? I don't own a PJ t-shirt, and my band doesn't even have t-shirts... But if you met Matt in boston, would you honestly have the balls to take your "tacky" stance? seeing as he is wearing a PJ shirt to a PJ show?? or does he get a pass??