I met eddie vedder once...

jonnyrock1975jonnyrock1975 Posts: 127
edited May 2010 in The Porch
...but I got totally awestruck and didn't really ask him anything. I muttered something about playing corduroy at the next gig as I was going. He mumbled "oh, corduroy... Right". And that was about it. All those things i'd thought about asking him over the years turned to shit when reality hit. He signed the shirt I was wearing, a tube ticket and my gig ticket. I didn't even get him to sign the poster I had in my hand. Why? Because in a stupid fuck, that's why!

Anyhow, my question is, if you met him, or if you have met him, what would you ask?
~~ 27 years of nothin' but failures and promises that i couldn't keep ~~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    ...but I got totally awestruck and didn't really ask him anything. I muttered something about playing corduroy at the next gig as I was going. He mumbled "oh, corduroy... Right". And that was about it. All those things i'd thought about asking him over the years turned to shit when reality hit. He signed the shirt I was wearing, a tube ticket and my gig ticket. I didn't even get him to sign the poster I had in my hand. Why? Because in a stupid fuck, that's why!

Anyhow, my question is, if you met him, or if you have met him, what would you ask?

I'd ask him "When are you gona get a haircut, ya freakin Hippie"? :lol:
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    don't they play corduroy at pretty much every PJ show? :lol: Cool that you got to meet him though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    he came out of his bus before one of his solo concerts in 08 and i stood there. freaked out so much i shut down. :roll: thank god my friend was there to drag me to the barricade so i could catch a glance. don't feel bad, it happens :lol:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I'd probably just thank him for the great music he's given us and what he's done to rock and music, in general, in the last 20 years and to keep rockin'.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • I asked him if i could shake his hand, to which he obliged, and took my hand in both of his. Before that he signed my white paper cd sleeve, and then i told him 'thank you for making this the coolest day of my life' and he said 'no, thank you!'.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I would ask him for a clean pair of underwear.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'd ask him for that beer he owes everyone from one of the solo shows in chicago.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • I'd ask him why they've only played Manitoba twice in their 20 year existence.

Then I'd tell him "you complete me", just to see the shit-scared look on his face! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • well I have tried and failed on a couple of occasions. Tonight will probably be another failed attempt but...

I would tell him about how "Alive" and "Jeremy" mean alot to me. Also, I would tell him about my SNL party crashing experience in attempt to hang out with PJ. And a bunch of other stuff...
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    I asked him if i could shake his hand, to which he obliged, and took my hand in both of his. Before that he signed my white paper cd sleeve, and then i told him 'thank you for making this the coolest day of my life' and he said 'no, thank you!'.

that is really cool
    hmm
    humble
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • LEBERT19LEBERT19 Posts: 50
    i met him (and Matt, Mike, and Jeff) backstage at Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. Beyond a dream come true. All i could get out was thank out you a few times. Shook his hand a snapped a couple of pictures - seemed like a blur. I mean you think about something for years and in 2 minutes it's gone... but worth every second. Best night of my life thus far
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    LEBERT19 wrote:
    i met him (and Matt, Mike, and Jeff) backstage at Cleveland a couple of weeks ago. Beyond a dream come true. All i could get out was thank out you a few times. Shook his hand a snapped a couple of pictures - seemed like a blur. I mean you think about something for years and in 2 minutes it's gone... but worth every second. Best night of my life thus far

Wow, very cool!

Was Stone in the men's room?
  • veddergirl232veddergirl232 Posts: 157
    Awesome stories. I really want to meet him. Does anyone know anything abt getting backstage passes or you can even still do that? I did get a letter from him in 1994 and front row tickets to the paramount show from him which was the best experience of my life thus far of course, but it would be nice to meet him just to say hi.
    "If you knew me you wouldn't love me"- EV April 17, 1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    I shook his hand after Camden shows back in 2000. He pulled out of the backstage area in a Lincoln, got out and shoot hands. No autographs, no pictures. I felt bad for him when this crazy couple from Texas who was following the band pulls out a picture of their child and shows Ed and mentions something about "Do you remember him? We showed you a picture of him in texas a few weeks ago when we met you. We named him after you". It was so creepy and opened my eyes to how psychotic this fan base can be.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I guess I would ask him if he wants MY autograph.

But in reality, I would be tongue-tied and dumb-struck probably.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    Lizard wrote:
    I guess I would ask him if he wants MY autograph.

But in reality, I would be tongue-tied and dumb-struck probably.

Good one, just hand him an autographed glossy of yourself. Tell him not to sell it on ebay. You have to be shootin the double gun in the picutre too.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    I'm dying to ask him if he feels like the character in "Life of Brian" who keeps telling all the lunatics who follow him that he isn't the messiah. But I'm sure I'd choke on my own saliva if I was ever close enough to him to ask.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • jonnyrock1975jonnyrock1975 Posts: 127
    LukinFan wrote:
    don't they play corduroy at pretty much every PJ show? :lol: Cool that you got to meet him though

It was only gonna be the third time I'd seen em! This was 2000 before you could buy a bootleg of every freakin show :) you had to go to record fairs to get your pearl jam fix in those days... Not just bang $300 on your credit card and never leave the house...
    ~~ 27 years of nothin' but failures and promises that i couldn't keep ~~
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    Then I'd tell him "you complete me", just to see the shit-scared look on his face! :lol:

I just spit my drink out. ;)
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'd probably say "Hey Ed, you remember in '03 you told us you'd be coming back to Alpine again soon? Well, you lied!" Then I'd kidnap him and make him do a solo show in my living room! :lol:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I'd draw a blank too...I just know it. That or say something really stupid and regret it for a long, long time. :D
  • Mitch8415Mitch8415 Posts: 227
    I'd probably let him know I've been a fan for 20 years... and then probably talk baseball or basketball with him.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    Id talk about his early life in Chicago and Evanston, seeing as the house he lived in when he was a child is only 2 miles away from me.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,830
    dasvidana wrote:
    I'm dying to ask him if he feels like the character in "Life of Brian" who keeps telling all the lunatics who follow him that he isn't the messiah. But I'm sure I'd choke on my own saliva if I was ever close enough to him to ask.

For those people who were in Columbus this month, we all know that Stone is the Jesus of the Pearl Jam religion.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    dasvidana wrote:

For those people who were in Columbus this month, we all know that Stone is the Jesus of the Pearl Jam religion.
    Then I guess I'll have to save my question for the time I meet Stone.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • foresterforester Posts: 90
    I met Eddie once. 2008- I wanted to say "thanks for all you do, how you inspire, know what I'm thinking, blah blah," and then all I could think was, "wow, what a firm handshake, and how soft and warm his hand is and oh my god I can't believe this", and then he moved on. I was totally dumbstruck- totally missed my chance. But I will never forget that handshake. :D
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    funny you should say that. i shook his hand in wellington and the thing that i remember the most about that was how firm his hand squeeze was and how soft his hands were. hehe.

didn't speak to him though.. this was out the window of a car.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    Man i did the same thing, instantly became a moron.

i always wanted to ask him if he would pen a book about the journey to where they are in life.....or if we had a chance of some solo dates in europe....and I just managed to ask if he'd play comeback in berlin - i got the same reply....comebak huh? sure.....but then again he must get 100 requests a day
  • wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,414
    edited May 2010
    I met him in '96. I asked him if he was still playing drums in Hovercraft. He told me no, and then he said "Oh, do you know who is, though?" (pause for effect) "Dave Krusen". It was very cool - he seemed to know that'd be the sort of nifty little trivia tidbit that a fan would like to hear.
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    How on EARTH does everyone Meet Him/them??? :?...wait by the Stage door or something!