Options

Your opinion about Immigration.

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    My opinion, but only white men and women who didn't immigrate to the US in the last 100 years due to a shitty socioeconomic and crime ridden country could smile and happily announce a "zero tolerance" policy and then continue to pretend this isn't what they wanted. They have lived in privilege too long and fail to recognize the different chance they received just by being born white and in the US. They seem to think it's as simple as cracking down to show these immigrants that they shouldn't be crossing illegally. It's working about as well as the death penalty does to deter murder or stiffer sentencing does to stop drug dealers. We're such a stupid society to think that extreme consequences will be the deciding factor for people in extreme situations. There's a very small percentage of people who really consider those consequences and if that's all that's preventing them from taking these actions then we have a bigger problem to worry about with them then those who do it out of necessity.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Since this thread isn't about immigration anymore let's get back to it, shall we?

After doing more research I remember why woman were coming from South America in droves with children.  During the Obama admin they gave border agents the option to turn a blind eye or "catch and release" without arrest or detainment.

This got back to the other SA countries and they see it as a free pass to come in to the US.

Tbergs posted the "blackboard" of Bannon and all his points/outlines and the term "catch and release" was on it.  It is one of the main campaign points of Trump.

Team Trump thinks that by having "Zero tolerance" will dismay the people from coming over but that hasn't happened and there is this inhumane mess there is right now.

This is why @The Juggler I disagree with Schumer and it should be legislative in stopping Zero Tolerance.  Trump isn't going to stop so you are going to have to take him to court.

Cuomo is taking them to court.  I think that is the only way to stop this.  I would like to think I'm wrong and Trump will come around but we all know that isn't going to happen.
    ZERO TOLERANCE IS NOT A LAW. IT IS A TRUMP POLICY THAT CAN BE REVERESED WITH ONE PHONE CALL BY DONALD FUCKING TRUMP. 

Yes we need immigration reform. Everyone agrees with that. Hardly anyone wants “open borders.”—this is another Trump talking point that all of his media outlets keep parroting...people on this very forum keeven keep saying it. That is fucking nonsense. Anyone with half a brain can see that it’s not an either or thing. The bottom line is Donald Trump is holding these kids hostage to force the democrats into funding an enormously expensive, and unnecessary wall that he spent two years brainwashing people into believing he would get Mexico to pay for. 

You want a simple solution for Zero Tolerance? Here’s one: let Donald Trump own up to a mistake for once in his miserable life and reverse HIW OWN POLICY. Then we can still try to come to a solution for  the immigration issue. But Zero tolerance is separate from that. It’s a manufactured issue created by the Trump administration to blackmail the democrats into funding a stupid idea that most of country doesn’t want anyway. 

Agreed.  And anyone with half a brain will realize that the nazi/American comparison thing is asinine.  
    Our country has greater checks and balances to not let that happen but we’re clearly moving towards a fascist state under this president/not away from one. 
    I don't believe we are moving towards a fascist state at all.  In your opinion, do you think there were darker days under Trump or W?  Personally I thought W was much worse.
    Are there any comparisons between the Team Trump Treason Administration and Nazi germany that can be made? A simple yes or no will do.
    no.  But if you believe otherwise then I think it is a no brainer to support the 2nd amendment.
    Yup, no comparisons at all. It’s just Team Trump Treason being Team Trump Treason. And still playing that they’re coming for your guns broken record?

https://fpif.org/its-time-to-take-the-nazi-trump-comparisons-seriously/

The article is ten months old.  Hitler and Trump both won with minority support.  So W, Adams, Harrison and Hayes can also be compared to Hitler because they won with minority support?
    Both Hitler and Trump used executive orders....um so did Obama.  That's like the old wive's tail of the Lincoln and Kennedy assassination being somehow connected because both killers had three names lol.  I still don't buy the comparison bud.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Stop separating kids that’s all 
    Protesters shout 'shame' at Kirstjen Nielsen as she dines at Mexican restaurant - CNN Politics https://apple.news/A2UVXXXYYRMa4Fs5fyR5hWA
    She can enjoy her dinner and Mexican too !
    She really went to a fucking Mexican restaurant???
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,640
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Since this thread isn't about immigration anymore let's get back to it, shall we?

After doing more research I remember why woman were coming from South America in droves with children.  During the Obama admin they gave border agents the option to turn a blind eye or "catch and release" without arrest or detainment.

This got back to the other SA countries and they see it as a free pass to come in to the US.

Tbergs posted the "blackboard" of Bannon and all his points/outlines and the term "catch and release" was on it.  It is one of the main campaign points of Trump.

Team Trump thinks that by having "Zero tolerance" will dismay the people from coming over but that hasn't happened and there is this inhumane mess there is right now.

This is why @The Juggler I disagree with Schumer and it should be legislative in stopping Zero Tolerance.  Trump isn't going to stop so you are going to have to take him to court.

Cuomo is taking them to court.  I think that is the only way to stop this.  I would like to think I'm wrong and Trump will come around but we all know that isn't going to happen.
    ZERO TOLERANCE IS NOT A LAW. IT IS A TRUMP POLICY THAT CAN BE REVERESED WITH ONE PHONE CALL BY DONALD FUCKING TRUMP. 

Yes we need immigration reform. Everyone agrees with that. Hardly anyone wants “open borders.”—this is another Trump talking point that all of his media outlets keep parroting...people on this very forum keeven keep saying it. That is fucking nonsense. Anyone with half a brain can see that it’s not an either or thing. The bottom line is Donald Trump is holding these kids hostage to force the democrats into funding an enormously expensive, and unnecessary wall that he spent two years brainwashing people into believing he would get Mexico to pay for. 

You want a simple solution for Zero Tolerance? Here’s one: let Donald Trump own up to a mistake for once in his miserable life and reverse HIW OWN POLICY. Then we can still try to come to a solution for  the immigration issue. But Zero tolerance is separate from that. It’s a manufactured issue created by the Trump administration to blackmail the democrats into funding a stupid idea that most of country doesn’t want anyway. 

Agreed.  And anyone with half a brain will realize that the nazi/American comparison thing is asinine.  
    Our country has greater checks and balances to not let that happen but we’re clearly moving towards a fascist state under this president/not away from one. 
    I don't believe we are moving towards a fascist state at all.  In your opinion, do you think there were darker days under Trump or W?  Personally I thought W was much worse.
    Are there any comparisons between the Team Trump Treason Administration and Nazi germany that can be made? A simple yes or no will do.
    no.  But if you believe otherwise then I think it is a no brainer to support the 2nd amendment.
    Yup, no comparisons at all. It’s just Team Trump Treason being Team Trump Treason. And still playing that they’re coming for your guns broken record?

The article is ten months old.  Hitler and Trump both won with minority support.  So W, Adams, Harrison and Hayes can also be compared to Hitler because they won with minority support?
    Both Hitler and Trump used executive orders....um so did Obama.  That's like the old wive's tail of the Lincoln and Kennedy assassination being somehow connected because both killers had three names lol.  I still don't buy the comparison bud.
    So the age of the article is your first determining factor for dismissal of the comparisons? All righty then.  EOs in and of themselves are not bad and are constitutionally protected. It’s the nature and intent of the EOs that you should be concerned about. No mention of Team Trump Treason trying to direct the JD to seize 1400 IP addresses of critics? No mention of Team Trump Treason leading crowds in chants of lock her up? Without due process? No mention of the right wing propaganda machine that Team Trump Treason feeds with multiple lies a day? No mention of the denigration of a free press? And you teach history?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So the age of the article is your first determining factor for dismissal of the comparisons? All righty then.  EOs in and of themselves are not bad and are constitutionally protected. It’s the nature and intent of the EOs that you should be concerned about. No mention of Team Trump Treason trying to direct the JD to seize 1400 IP addresses of critics? No mention of Team Trump Treason leading crowds in chants of lock her up? Without due process? No mention of the right wing propaganda machine that Team Trump Treason feeds with multiple lies a day? No mention of the denigration of a free press? And you teach history?
    He teaches history??
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??
    Not on here. This is his safe space when he’s not on a bus full of 6th graders, praise be to Allah.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??
    Yes I teach history (and why does it matter?)  No I still don’t see any comparisons between the two. 
    I didn’t dismiss the article I just stated it was ten months old. I figured you would have had something more current. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??
    Yes I teach history (and why does it matter?)  No I still don’t see any comparisons between the two. 
    I didn’t dismiss the article I just stated it was ten months old. I figured you would have had something more current. 

The age of the actions matter? That’s what it is for you? Okay, separating children from their parents and holding them separate ly. Is that recent enough?

Brilliantati©
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??
    Not on here. This is his safe space when he’s not on a bus full of 6th graders, praise be to Allah.

8th graders. ;)
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??

The age of the actions matter? That’s what it is for you? Okay, separating children from their parents and holding them separate ly. Is that recent enough?
    You're wasting your breath. 

I'm reminded of this.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

-Martin Niemöller

Stay vigilant.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??

8th graders. ;)
    Double allah be praised.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??

8th graders. ;)
    Double allah be praised.
    I think we need to have beers sooner rather than later in order to fix all of this.  I'll look into flights to halifax.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He teaches history??

8th graders. ;)
    Double allah be praised.
    I think we need to have beers sooner rather than later in order to fix all of this.  I'll look into flights to halifax.
    Bring the band!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    If you are trying to compare this to the holocaust then yes...go fuck yourself. 
    Are you saying that no comparisons can be made to Hitler or the Nazi Party? None because we haven’t had a holocaust? Yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_rise_to_power

Didnt happen overnight. Started in 1923. Small, subtle, incremental steps, baby steps if you will. I’m sorry you can’t see that nor know the history and the underpinnings. But hey  Team Trump Treason is said to own one book, Mein Kampf so there is that.
    Hitler went on for over 20 years...

At best Trump will be in power for 8.

So we just let it go on for 8 years? Then the next Trumpian asshat that takes office continues? How about we learn from history and stop it now while we have a shot instead of perpetuating it because “at best it’s only 8 years.”
    Forgive me if I don't think we are in dark times or the dawn of a new Hitler is upon us.

I do remember the right claiming that Obama was doing the same thing, turning America into Nazi Germany.  He was going to disarm us, make friends with our enemies, so on and so on.

The way of thinking now has moved from one extreme to the other.  Every angle and counter argument is extreme now.

There is no way, no way we go down that dark path.  That list posted above was being thrown around with Obama too...

If that list was indeed thrown around with Obama, would you not at least agree it was with far less reason? When was Obama ever seen to display "rampant sexism", "disdain for human rights", or entwining church and state? And hasn't Trump displayed all of these, and more on the list?
    I don’t see Trump controlling the media or him bringing religion and govt together. 

On another note Schumer shot down legislation to keep the immigrant families together saying that Trump could end this with his own and doesn’t need to be legislative. 

Ive got problems with this. It’s more of govt banging their heads against the wall and pointing more fingers. No one is doing anything...

Cuomo is suing the Trump admin though for human rights so at least someone is doing it. 

Thoughts?
    What are you talking about?? Schumer is correct. This isn’t a law. This doesn’t need a congressional fix. Trump can put an end to his own policy of separating children from their parents by simply telling his justice department to stop enforcing his own policy. 

And Trump doesn’t control the media? Hahaha...that is ducking hilarious. He has one network parroting his talking points 24 hours a day. He fucking live tweets it. 
    This is controlling the media?  One news outlet?  Really?
    Dude. This is America. You act as if the president controlling one news network is a minor offense. It is an affront to our democracy. Literally.  It’s state controlled media. And it’s not really one, but it’s clearly the major one. Then you throw in Breitbart, that One America channel, and possibly worse of all, Sinclair Broadcasting which controls hundreds of local channels—it’s fucking scary when you think about how fast this is happening. Then, of course, you have the president on a daily/hourly basis discrediting literally EVERY OTHER NEWS OUTLET who reports on him critically and....yeah, man—this is how it starts. It’s by the book. They’re not even hiding it.  I can’t believe I have to explain this to you. A third of this country isn’t thinking for themselves. I keep saying this not to be demeaning or anything but, really: OPEN YOUR EYES. This is happening right now and people just don’t want to acknowledge it or are just so happy with the economy (that they’ve been conditioned by Trump and his media outlets to believe got better on 1/20/17 instead of 8 years ago) that they turn the other cheek. 

This is how it starts. It’s happening. Wake up. 
    I'll be labeled as naive on this as I see Trump preaching to the choir.  I don't think that he controls any of it, that's just his base and it's like brand loyalty.  Like MSNBC just goes the complete opposite direction of the GOP.  If GOP says white then MSNBC says black...

I have a cousin that is a very stark conservative and he spews the same garbage you are right now.  He thinks that a war is coming and that a new movement is coming.  He believes that we are going to have a civil war and he wants that...

I am woke, I am paying attention.  I Just don't see the sky as falling.  I see people pointing out so far off extreme talking points that it sounds absurd.

Do we have some work to do to make us better?  Yes.

Back to the news outlets.  When has Fox ever backed a Democrat?  I don't recall.

When has the other news outlets endorsed a republican?  I don't recall.

The news thing has been going on for as long as I can remember.  I view the news and politics now as trying to split us up and make us draw lines in the sand, choose a side, but that is just me I guess.  I'm naive and need to open  my eyes...

He wants to kill his neighbours? He wants a civil war?

Wtf is wrong with America? People have lost their f**king minds.

I change my mind on gun control... stock up if there are f**wads eager for a civil war. Geezuz.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    Are you saying that no comparisons can be made to Hitler or the Nazi Party? None because we haven’t had a holocaust? Yet?

Didnt happen overnight. Started in 1923. Small, subtle, incremental steps, baby steps if you will. I’m sorry you can’t see that nor know the history and the underpinnings. But hey  Team Trump Treason is said to own one book, Mein Kampf so there is that.

So we just let it go on for 8 years? Then the next Trumpian asshat that takes office continues? How about we learn from history and stop it now while we have a shot instead of perpetuating it because “at best it’s only 8 years.”
    Forgive me if I don't think we are in dark times or the dawn of a new Hitler is upon us.

I do remember the right claiming that Obama was doing the same thing, turning America into Nazi Germany.  He was going to disarm us, make friends with our enemies, so on and so on.

The way of thinking now has moved from one extreme to the other.  Every angle and counter argument is extreme now.

There is no way, no way we go down that dark path.  That list posted above was being thrown around with Obama too...

If that list was indeed thrown around with Obama, would you not at least agree it was with far less reason? When was Obama ever seen to display "rampant sexism", "disdain for human rights", or entwining church and state? And hasn't Trump displayed all of these, and more on the list?
    I don’t see Trump controlling the media or him bringing religion and govt together. 

On another note Schumer shot down legislation to keep the immigrant families together saying that Trump could end this with his own and doesn’t need to be legislative. 

Ive got problems with this. It’s more of govt banging their heads against the wall and pointing more fingers. No one is doing anything...

Cuomo is suing the Trump admin though for human rights so at least someone is doing it. 

Thoughts?
    What are you talking about?? Schumer is correct. This isn’t a law. This doesn’t need a congressional fix. Trump can put an end to his own policy of separating children from their parents by simply telling his justice department to stop enforcing his own policy. 

And Trump doesn’t control the media? Hahaha...that is ducking hilarious. He has one network parroting his talking points 24 hours a day. He fucking live tweets it. 
    Dude. This is America. You act as if the president controlling one news network is a minor offense. It is an affront to our democracy. Literally.  It’s state controlled media. And it’s not really one, but it’s clearly the major one. Then you throw in Breitbart, that One America channel, and possibly worse of all, Sinclair Broadcasting which controls hundreds of local channels—it’s fucking scary when you think about how fast this is happening. Then, of course, you have the president on a daily/hourly basis discrediting literally EVERY OTHER NEWS OUTLET who reports on him critically and....yeah, man—this is how it starts. It’s by the book. They’re not even hiding it.  I can’t believe I have to explain this to you. A third of this country isn’t thinking for themselves. I keep saying this not to be demeaning or anything but, really: OPEN YOUR EYES. This is happening right now and people just don’t want to acknowledge it or are just so happy with the economy (that they’ve been conditioned by Trump and his media outlets to believe got better on 1/20/17 instead of 8 years ago) that they turn the other cheek. 

I'll be labeled as naive on this as I see Trump preaching to the choir.  I don't think that he controls any of it, that's just his base and it's like brand loyalty.  Like MSNBC just goes the complete opposite direction of the GOP.  If GOP says white then MSNBC says black...

I have a cousin that is a very stark conservative and he spews the same garbage you are right now.  He thinks that a war is coming and that a new movement is coming.  He believes that we are going to have a civil war and he wants that...

I am woke, I am paying attention.  I Just don't see the sky as falling.  I see people pointing out so far off extreme talking points that it sounds absurd.

Back to the news outlets.  When has Fox ever backed a Democrat?  I don't recall.

The news thing has been going on for as long as I can remember.  I view the news and politics now as trying to split us up and make us draw lines in the sand, choose a side, but that is just me I guess.  I'm naive and need to open  my eyes...

I change my mind on gun control... stock up if there are f**wads eager for a civil war. Geezuz.
    My cousin is an idiot though.  Smartest dumb person I know.  Breitbart, Fox, all his favorites.  He leans alt right almost...  It's sad.

I know there are others like him but they are few and far between but I'm sure a bunch on here will say something like there are 61million or something rhetorical like that...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,040
    I've mentioned this on here 4 times now and nobody cared.

Thank you for posting.
  • Options
    And this is why the comparison between Nazi Germany and the U.S. is not correct; his own party is criticizing him.  If anybody did that to Hitler they would be dead or sent to the Eastern Front.

Cruz's flip-flop on family separation shows threat to GOP

Sen. Ted Cruz does a dramatic about-face on U.S. family separation policy

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Ted Cruz has staged a dramatic about-face on the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policies, laying bare how politically damaging the issue of separating children from parents accused of crossing the border illegally is becoming for Republicans facing voters this fall.

The Texas senator, who has become a frequent ally of President Donald Trump, initially blasted criticism of the White House crackdown.

"When you see Democrats saying, 'Don't separate kids from their parents,' what they're really saying is don't arrest illegal aliens," he said last week

But he's now softened substantially, telling reporters in Washington on Tuesday, "All of us are horrified at the images we're seeing." Cruz also said he talked with the White House about legislation he introduced to stop family separations.

It is striking that a leading conservative insurgent could flip-flop in a deep-red state where hardline immigration policies are exceedingly popular. But Cruz's change of heart underscores the chorus of bipartisan politicians and civic and religious leaders across the country who've said such tactics are unacceptable — even as the Trump administration has vowed to stand by them.

Cruz's push for legislation comes as Beto O'Rourke, the Democratic congressman giving up his seat to challenge the incumbent in November, has moved quickly to criticize the family separations and, in the process, raise his national profile. O'Rourke led a Father's Day march to a Texas desert tent city which federal authorities hastily erected to house immigrant children.

"There's an open question right now about who we are and what we stand for and what we're going to do in the face of this injustice and this inhumanity," O'Rourke said by phone.

A former punk rocker, O'Rourke has waged a high energy campaign and often outraised Cruz. He remains a longshot since Texas hasn't elected a Democrat to statewide office since 1994, but family separation may be proving too thorny a topic even for a Republican facing a relatively easy path to midterm re-election.

"The needle that Cruz is trying to thread is he wants to end separation but also maintain rule of law," said Matt Mackowiak, a Texas GOP strategist who added, "He's recognizing that this separation issue is explosive."

More than 2,300 minors were separated from their families at the border from May 5 through June 9, according to the Department of Homeland Security. That's under a policy announced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions that refers all cases of illegal entry — even those when people crossing sought asylum to remain in the U.S. — for criminal prosecution. The government previously limited prosecution for many family entrants, partly because children aren't charged with a crime and can't be detained with their parents.

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Thoughts?

My cousin is an idiot though.  Smartest dumb person I know.  Breitbart, Fox, all his favorites.  He leans alt right almost...  It's sad.

I know there are others like him but they are few and far between but I'm sure a bunch on here will say something like there are 61million or something rhetorical like that...

is your cousins name @unsung? lol
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    And this is why the comparison between Nazi Germany and the U.S. is not correct; his own party is criticizing him.  If anybody did that to Hitler they would be dead or sent to the Eastern Front.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Ted Cruz has staged a dramatic about-face on the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policies, laying bare how politically damaging the issue of separating children from parents accused of crossing the border illegally is becoming for Republicans facing voters this fall.

The Texas senator, who has become a frequent ally of President Donald Trump, initially blasted criticism of the White House crackdown.

"When you see Democrats saying, 'Don't separate kids from their parents,' what they're really saying is don't arrest illegal aliens," he said last week

But he's now softened substantially, telling reporters in Washington on Tuesday, "All of us are horrified at the images we're seeing." Cruz also said he talked with the White House about legislation he introduced to stop family separations.

It is striking that a leading conservative insurgent could flip-flop in a deep-red state where hardline immigration policies are exceedingly popular. But Cruz's change of heart underscores the chorus of bipartisan politicians and civic and religious leaders across the country who've said such tactics are unacceptable — even as the Trump administration has vowed to stand by them.

Cruz's push for legislation comes as Beto O'Rourke, the Democratic congressman giving up his seat to challenge the incumbent in November, has moved quickly to criticize the family separations and, in the process, raise his national profile. O'Rourke led a Father's Day march to a Texas desert tent city which federal authorities hastily erected to house immigrant children.

"There's an open question right now about who we are and what we stand for and what we're going to do in the face of this injustice and this inhumanity," O'Rourke said by phone.

A former punk rocker, O'Rourke has waged a high energy campaign and often outraised Cruz. He remains a longshot since Texas hasn't elected a Democrat to statewide office since 1994, but family separation may be proving too thorny a topic even for a Republican facing a relatively easy path to midterm re-election.

"The needle that Cruz is trying to thread is he wants to end separation but also maintain rule of law," said Matt Mackowiak, a Texas GOP strategist who added, "He's recognizing that this separation issue is explosive."

More than 2,300 minors were separated from their families at the border from May 5 through June 9, according to the Department of Homeland Security. That's under a policy announced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions that refers all cases of illegal entry — even those when people crossing sought asylum to remain in the U.S. — for criminal prosecution. The government previously limited prosecution for many family entrants, partly because children aren't charged with a crime and can't be detained with their parents.

You’re taking these comparisons way too literally man. There are similarities to what Trump is doing to countries who fell into a fascist state. To ignore them is to ignore the very subject you teach. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Give Team Trump Treason time. He’ll attack lyin Ted and bring him to heel.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Thank you for posting.

I'm particularly sensitive to the treatment of people with Down Syndrome because my cousin (who is just three months older than me) has it. And the utter dismissal here by Lewandowski is pretty sickening, but par for the course for a Trump associate.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Thank you for posting.

I'm particularly sensitive to the treatment of people with Down Syndrome because my cousin (who is just three months older than me) has it. And the utter dismissal here by Lewandowski is pretty sickening, but par for the course for a Trump associate.
    Yeah that behavior starts from the top down. He works on Pence’s Super PAC. In normal times, he’d be fired for such an abhorrent statement. In Trump’s America, no one gives a shit about decency anymore. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Thank you for posting.

Yeah that behavior starts from the top down. He works on Pence’s Super PAC. In normal times, he’d be fired for such an abhorrent statement. In Trump’s America, no one gives a shit about decency anymore. 
    It's interesting that you mention "decency" because I was thinking last night that maybe the way to attack Trump on this isn't to talk about how immoral or indecent it is, because he has no heart/soul/morals. But he is a bottom-line guy so maybe people should start talking about how logistically dumb it is to separate the kids from the families. If a mother and father try to illegally immigrate with four kids in tow. Wouldn't it be easier on everyone (both these familes and ICE agents) to keep the six of them together and deport them all at the same time?

Of course, the counter-argument is that Trump knows that this is logistically dumb and he's just holding these kids captive as some sort of political power move to get what he wants (the boarder wall in particular).

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    benjs said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.
    Let me take your 5 year old child by force and throw them in a cage without you knowing where they are, then talk to me about abuse, tough guy

People like you are giving America a bad name, you should be ashamed

You have zero empathy, for anyone, and its disgusting 
    Not true.  I have empathy for the taxpayers that have to fund this mess.

HA
    How about the 20 billion dollars your president wants us to pay for an idiotic wall....after promising he would convince Mexico to foot the bill for 2 years? How about the 2 trillion dollars their tax plan adds to our deficit?

Is this guy for real?

You are a hypocritical mess...

I actually kinda think that spending the money on the wall would be cheaper in the long run than prosecuting thousands upon thousands of people and putting the kids up to stay in warehouses every year.

Really? You think this zero tolerance policy is going to continue on a yearly basis?
    I have no idea.  Let’s say they remove the zero tolerance- they still have war torn countries and cartels forcing people out of their countries for safety and ending up here.  Look at Europe, most of those countries bordering the type of countries have walls/fences/etc. and prosecute & throw people out who try to come in. But it can’t be cheap.

Ma'am, how much do you think we spend on prosecuting these folks currently?

Perhaps we could do a better job of not turning down so many folks at the legal ports of entry? A lot of people who are currently being prosecuted and have had their kids sent to these horrible wallmart cages tried to do it the right way but were not able to get in. If you travelled halfway across the world out of a war torn country only to be told the legal port is full, what would you do? Turn around and go traverse back to your war torn country or do what these folks did?

I don’t know, bust out your calculator and let me know.   There’s no cages by the way, I haven’t read any info saying that kids are in cages lol.    And maybe you’re misssing the point but the reason they’re being prosecuted is to send a message that they can’t just turn around and try it illegally, it’s supposed to deter emigration unless it’s legal and with a visa. Is it working? Obviously not. I’m just saying that the whole shit is assbackwards and can’t be cheap the way it is now.  We’ll have hundreds of these Walmart asylums before you know it and then we’re dealing with a humanitarian disaster.  The cartels know what they’re doing, they’re not trying to save people, they’re taking their money and making our government deal with them.
    Really? If you haven't read any info saying that, it's clear you haven't sought one fucking article about this. I screen grabbed what showed up when I simply searched "cages" on Google just now. No mention of Trump, or immigration or anything - and yet, would you look at those results! What other obvious and immediately provable realities would you like to ignore?

Ummmm, no.  Fact checked.  False.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/18/us/photo-migrant-child-cage-trnd/index.html
    from your link:

More than 1,100 immigrants, including children, are being held at a processing detention center in the border city of McAllen, Texas. Democratic lawmakers who toured the facility have described children being held inside chain-linked cages.
    "We did see the children who were held inside here," Democratic Sen. Jeff Merkley of Oregon told CNN's Ana Cabrera on Sunday. "In wire mesh, chain-linked cages that are about 30 by 30 feet, a lot of young folks put into them. I must say though, far fewer than I was here two weeks ago."
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    mcgruff10 said:

Sounds great. What's he actually doing about it?  Send something to the President's desk.  There is a bill out there.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:

Thoughts?

is your cousins name @unsung? lol
    No, it is @hidebehindacomputerscreen
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Nobody is being abused.
    Let me take your 5 year old child by force and throw them in a cage without you knowing where they are, then talk to me about abuse, tough guy

People like you are giving America a bad name, you should be ashamed

You have zero empathy, for anyone, and its disgusting 
    Not true.  I have empathy for the taxpayers that have to fund this mess.

HA
    How about the 20 billion dollars your president wants us to pay for an idiotic wall....after promising he would convince Mexico to foot the bill for 2 years? How about the 2 trillion dollars their tax plan adds to our deficit?

Is this guy for real?

You are a hypocritical mess...

I actually kinda think that spending the money on the wall would be cheaper in the long run than prosecuting thousands upon thousands of people and putting the kids up to stay in warehouses every year.

Really? You think this zero tolerance policy is going to continue on a yearly basis?
    I have no idea.  Let’s say they remove the zero tolerance- they still have war torn countries and cartels forcing people out of their countries for safety and ending up here.  Look at Europe, most of those countries bordering the type of countries have walls/fences/etc. and prosecute & throw people out who try to come in. But it can’t be cheap.

Ma'am, how much do you think we spend on prosecuting these folks currently?

Perhaps we could do a better job of not turning down so many folks at the legal ports of entry? A lot of people who are currently being prosecuted and have had their kids sent to these horrible wallmart cages tried to do it the right way but were not able to get in. If you travelled halfway across the world out of a war torn country only to be told the legal port is full, what would you do? Turn around and go traverse back to your war torn country or do what these folks did?

I don’t know, bust out your calculator and let me know.   There’s no cages by the way, I haven’t read any info saying that kids are in cages lol.    And maybe you’re misssing the point but the reason they’re being prosecuted is to send a message that they can’t just turn around and try it illegally, it’s supposed to deter emigration unless it’s legal and with a visa. Is it working? Obviously not. I’m just saying that the whole shit is assbackwards and can’t be cheap the way it is now.  We’ll have hundreds of these Walmart asylums before you know it and then we’re dealing with a humanitarian disaster.  The cartels know what they’re doing, they’re not trying to save people, they’re taking their money and making our government deal with them.
    Really? If you haven't read any info saying that, it's clear you haven't sought one fucking article about this. I screen grabbed what showed up when I simply searched "cages" on Google just now. No mention of Trump, or immigration or anything - and yet, would you look at those results! What other obvious and immediately provable realities would you like to ignore?

Ummmm, no.  Fact checked.  False.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/18/us/photo-migrant-child-cage-trnd/index.html
    Wow. Nice research bud. 
    Well it’s of course embellished.  It’s true there’s chain link wire fences inside these warehouses, but in no way are they being held in cages.  It’s just a word the media uses to create hysteria- both sides do it.  I knew that it wouldn’t be true, there’s just no way.

"It wouldn't be true, there's just no way". Except it is, unless you know of a better word to describe locked chain link enclosures.
    Locked chain link enclosures that are 30’x30’ and cages sound a little different to me. Do you agree?
    I would agree with that. Is it the fact it’s chain link that bothers people? Should they put up drywall aroundo it? Chain link is common when making holding facilities. I think calling it a cage is intentional to dehumanize the process. But this has always been done, holding facilities out of chain link is not new. The only thing new is the separation. But remember, there are more unaccompanied minors that show up than ones being separated, and no one ever had a problem holding them in “cages” before.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Smellyman said:
    Chain Link Fence Match!

BWAHAHAHAHA
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com