Thought on poster reselling

2»

Comments

• RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    they need to keep them elusive sometimes or people will stop collecting and they will sell less overall.

Not true. That would only happen if they kept selling the same poster over and over.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Print thousands and thousands of posters....
    Everyone who wants a poster, gets a poster.....
    The flippers are out of business....
    The artist and the band make all the profit....
    Life is good.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Life is good.........

And that is obviously what they are doing. Why let poster hoarders make the profit. Now maybe they will stop so we at the show can get one there instead of waiting.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Life is good.........

And that is obviously what they are doing. Why let poster hoarders make the profit. Now maybe they will stop so we at the show can get one there instead of waiting.
    Yep.....

They realized the flippers were making the big money.
    Now the artists are cashing in.
    The fans are happy, because they can get their posters...
    The flippers are out of business.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • qcreteqcrete Posts: 135
    tough call -- there are good and bads of the secondary market

when i went to Hawaii
    at the Blaisdel show posters were sold out -- so i found one on ebay for like $80
    but the aloha stadium show had plenty of poster left -- so i bought two and a year later sold one to a friend for the buy it now price on ebay which got enough to pay for my plane ticket $amount

then the other side of the coin went to the Vic in chicago -- bought a poster thinking it would be able to sell due to the rarity of the show & size of the crowd -- i end up getting $5 more than i paid
    qcrete wrote:

when i went to Hawaii
    at the Blaisdel show posters were sold out -- so i found one on ebay for like $80
    but the aloha stadium show had plenty of poster left -- so i bought two and a year later sold one to a friend for the buy it now price on ebay which got enough to pay for my plane ticket $amount

then the other side of the coin went to the Vic in chicago -- bought a poster thinking it would be able to sell due to the rarity of the show & size of the crowd -- i end up getting $5 more than i paid

PJ doesn't want people being raped over inflated poster prices after the fact. Thus selling more after the tour which they will do for this tour as well. Don't buy more than one poster and you won't get burned. It's the reason they are putting out bootlegs. They don't want bootleggers making all the money with crappy quality bootlegs. This band has an unbelievable business going right now unlike any band around. They virtually double the revenue of every show they do with this bootleg and poster post tour process.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    They virtually double the revenue of every show they do with this bootleg and poster post tour process.

Double the revenue? I'd guess they make a few million a show. I don't see the posters and bootlegs generating that kinda dough.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    qcrete wrote:

when i went to Hawaii

you sold it to a friend for a profit? ouch
  • qcreteqcrete Posts: 135
    qcrete wrote:

when i went to Hawaii

not a friend -- bad choice of words --he was a local business/bar owner who is a U2 fan and wanted to put it on the wall of his office
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    qcrete wrote:
    qcrete wrote:

when i went to Hawaii

not a friend -- bad choice of words --he was a local business/bar owner who is a U2 fan and wanted to put it on the wall of his office

much better choice of words
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    they will sell on 10c but they will have much less to sell this time. You will not be able to get whatever you want i can pretty much guarantee that. For my reason stated above.

god bless
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,033
    they will sell on 10c but they will have much less to sell this time. You will not be able to get whatever you want i can pretty much guarantee that. For my reason stated above.

god bless

I agree with this. Last tour posters weren't selling out at the shows for the most part. Toronto show which was a great poster still had tons available after the show. This time around the print runs are definitely smaller and they reason they are selling out this time around isn't because they are keeping a lot to sell on the site.
  • flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    My thought...who cares? I have paid LOTS of money buying collectibles over the years. "It is only worth what you are willing to spend" and "Supply and Demand"...But to come on here and bitch about someone offering a collectible for what may or may not be market value is lame. NOBODY on this board is SO WEALTHY that they have not or would not sell an item for what its worth.
    Poster= not a necessity, Beer at concert= $10...THAT'S what I would be bitching about!
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    My thought...who cares? I have paid LOTS of money buying collectibles over the years. "It is only worth what you are willing to spend" and "Supply and Demand"...But to come on here and bitch about someone offering a collectible for what may or may not be market value is lame. NOBODY on this board is SO WEALTHY that they have not or would not sell an item for what its worth.
    Poster= not a necessity, Beer at concert= $10...THAT'S what I would be bitching about!
    Or $40 parking. :evil:
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • It's all about the timing. Look, there are some Pearl Jam fans out there who have way too much money to throw around. It seems like posters on ebay immediately after a show go for loads more than if you just wait for a week or a month or a year... often you can get them for practically face if you just WAIT, except in extreme circumstances (the "attractive" posters only). People are just in such a rush to have it NOW that they pay whatever they want. I sold a reaper shirt from the '08 tour to some crazy person on ebay for $80 right after that tour ended (Didn't get to that tour, but I had a friend buy me one L and one XL after the teeny '06 shirts, wasn't sure which would fit, and figured if I was lucky I'd make enough to pay for mine, like the original example said). I never thought someone would pay that much for a t-shirt... but fans are wacky. If they had just waited, they could have gotten it for 1/4 that. Hell, I think you can still buy them NOW in the goods section two years later.

If someone wants to make a few bucks because they spent hundreds to get to a show because PJ refuses to play anywhere near where they live, let them! Nothing wrong with making a little money... even Pearl Jam knows that. ;) (COUGH-$5-per-CD-in-Target-deal-COUGH)

The "limit 2" thing was a little surprising this tour. But even if someone wants to buy 2 posters, wouldn't they have just gotten their friend to buy one too? Or someone sitting next to them? There really are not THAT many poster freaks at the shows when you figure 1/20 (maybe) buy posters... and maybe 1/2 or more spend $8+ per beer (and can often be seen carrying away two cups at a time when heading back to their seats).

The moral: If you want a poster, wait and you'll get one for much cheaper.

The other moral: The REAL money at Pearl Jam shows is in beer. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • My thought...who cares? I have paid LOTS of money buying collectibles over the years. "It is only worth what you are willing to spend" and "Supply and Demand"...But to come on here and bitch about someone offering a collectible for what may or may not be market value is lame. NOBODY on this board is SO WEALTHY that they have not or would not sell an item for what its worth.

Ha ha, you posted that right as I was typing my above post.... exactly! I was thinking, a bunch of us bitch about $75 or $90 tickets, but the amount of money people spend while IN THE ARENA (or amphitheater obviously) is insane! You look at $35 t-shirts, $10 beers, $12 mixed drinks, and people are buying more than one of each of these things. $20 parking... They're spending 2 or 3 times what the ticket cost.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!