Thought on poster reselling

SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
edited May 2010 in The Porch
The excus below is from a fellow forum member who was selling one of the 2 posters he bought at a show for $65. I just thought I'd share this because I think it's bs. Needless to say a lot of other people do as well.

"I buy 2 posters for every show. I sell one, so the one I have is free to me.

That's good old fashioned American business ! You don't have to buy them
from me if you don't want to, I'm not forcing anyone.

If I was only allowed to buy one poster, then I wouldn't have an additional one to sell.
It's not my fault these aren't regulated like they were in previous tours. It looks like Pearl Jam
is capitalizing on the poster sales as well. They used to print a thousand or so for each show.
Now, they don't tell you how many they print and you can even buy them from 10 Club after the tour
is over. Not to mention the cost has been raised on the posters 50% during a recession !

Pearl Jam makes thousands of dollars on the proceeds from the poster sales. I make 50 bucks
and you're ready to lynch me, go figure ... I guess I'm used to all the love by now."

......annnnnnd discuss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    the guy probably doesn't make too much money.

there are better ways to make a buck, but the dude takes time out of his day and shows up early to make sure he gets 2.

is it a little bit scummy? yea, just a little.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    meh... there's plenty of posters to go around these days. 10c will be selling so I don't see why someone would pay 65. There are lots of people like this and he does make some points.

To be honest...I could care less.

He should stick to ebay though. I'm sure he knows that its frowned upon on the board.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Why buy just 2??
    If you are going to do it, then do it right.....

Buy 22........

Why make $50???
    When you can make $500????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Ummmm, don't buy them off someone who you think is a knob, or for an inflated price.

Deal is, I recently bought the Sydney 1998 poster as it was the only poster I was missing from the shows I have attended. I bought it for $400 in perfect condition. It was probably $10 on the day. Was he wrong in selling it to me for that much? I suggest due to it's unavailability it was sold at a reasonable price. The only difference between what this dude is doing and what eBayers or whatever are doing selling older posters is the time between the show and the on-sell. If posters were limited in number (like they used to be), then yeah, only sell 1 per person, but I know they sell/print a lot more now than they used to. And this has driven the market down to the $40 range for new posters.

I have 3 Seattle/Gorge posters that I'm on-selling. I got them gifted to me from a friend in Seattle and in return I bought her the Sydney posters. I am cleaning house and only really have a passion/reason to keep the posters of the shows I have been to. Is this wrong of me to sell them at a higher price than they were bought for? I'm suggesting not. I'm parting with a collector's item that I have stored and kept in good condition for a up to 10 years, they are harder to find now (2000 Seattle, Violin Gorge, Cliff Jumper Gorge), so I expect them to go for a FAIR price.

Just my opinion. Good thread!
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Why buy just 2??
    If you are going to do it, then do it right.....

Buy 22........

Why make $50???
    When you can make $500????

winner winner chicken dinner
    And better yet....

Why make $500...
    When you can make $2500????

If you are going to flip....
    Then take some time, learn the business.....
    And do it right.....
    btw, probably been discussed here more than ashton kutcher
    and use craft paper. I hate buying from amateur flippers who think tissue paper does a god damn bit of good. :)

Whoever sold me those two Clevelands for $65 each I am talking to YOU
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    the only correct i see about it is that mods do the right thing to lock the thread this guy open..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Free Shipping.....

2 words that every Flipper should know........
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    Ty wrote:
    Ummmm, don't buy them off someone who you think is a knob, or for an inflated price.

Deal is, I recently bought the Sydney 1998 poster as it was the only poster I was missing from the shows I have attended. I bought it for $400 in perfect condition. It was probably $10 on the day. Was he wrong in selling it to me for that much? I suggest due to it's unavailability it was sold at a reasonable price. The only difference between what this dude is doing and what eBayers or whatever are doing selling older posters is the time between the show and the on-sell. If posters were limited in number (like they used to be), then yeah, only sell 1 per person, but I know they sell/print a lot more now than they used to. And this has driven the market down to the $40 range for new posters.

I have 3 Seattle/Gorge posters that I'm on-selling. I got them gifted to me from a friend in Seattle and in return I bought her the Sydney posters. I am cleaning house and only really have a passion/reason to keep the posters of the shows I have been to. Is this wrong of me to sell them at a higher price than they were bought for? I'm suggesting not. I'm parting with a collector's item that I have stored and kept in good condition for a up to 10 years, they are harder to find now (2000 Seattle, Violin Gorge, Cliff Jumper Gorge), so I expect them to go for a FAIR price.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between selling because you're honestly cleaning house and going to the show specifically to resell the next day. My point is that the posters are made for the fans at a set price and a certain number run off to give them a chance to get them. When someone buys 2 with the intention to sell for twice as much, I just think it's bs.
  • TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Sidnum wrote:
    Ty wrote:

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between selling because you're honestly cleaning house and going to the show specifically to resell the next day. My point is that the posters are made for the fans at a set price and a certain number run off to give them a chance to get them. When someone buys 2 with the intention to sell for twice as much, I just think it's bs.

Agree, agree. As bad or the same as scalpers.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • onebadbootlegonebadbootleg Posts: 118
    Oh come on - how many posters did the band print for the last tour. And how many are sitting in the goods section for how long now? Were they doing that to combat flippers or to make as much money off posters as they can? Maybe both? They do not disclose the runs on the posters. It is all about money for everyone involved, except those who want and keep a memento from a show they attended. Rock posters have been collectible memorabilia for longer than anyone here has been born. If they weren't, they wouldn't be produced and noone would want them.
    Poetry and powertools
    Oh come on - how many posters did the band print for the last tour. And how many are sitting in the goods section for how long now? Were they doing that to combat flippers or to make as much money off posters as they can? Maybe both? They do not disclose the runs on the posters. It is all about money for everyone involved, except those who want and keep a memento from a show they attended. Rock posters have been collectible memorabilia for longer than anyone here has been born. If they weren't, they wouldn't be produced and noone would want them.

I only half agree with you because I think the posters are there for the fans, not totally for profit for the band.
  • onebadbootlegonebadbootleg Posts: 118
    Sidnum wrote:

I only half agree with you because I think the posters are there for the fans, not totally for profit for the band.

And I'd half agree with you. I think it is easily half and half with this band now (at least on the last tour - we shall see with the current tour.) And I will not participate in the mad poster rush ever. I was lucky enough to purchase the poster from my gig in the current tour from the artist. Much better than fighting on the day of the show. But I still believe the runs should be smaller than they were last time.
    Poetry and powertools
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I don't know if anyone noticed but NEW PJ posters aren't in such high demand. They are putting out mega runs on these so the flippers can go elsewhere or just continue to flip the old stuff. There are 2 pages of PJ US 2009 posters alone in the Goods section. Buy 10 and you will either have 10 or you will be selling at a lose.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    I don't know if anyone noticed but NEW PJ posters aren't in such high demand. They are putting out mega runs on these so the flippers can go elsewhere or just continue to flip the old stuff. There are 2 pages of PJ US 2009 posters alone in the Goods section. Buy 10 and you will either have 10 or you will be selling at a lose.

Well until '09, there was no such thing as a poster even existing before the opening band, generally speaking. Then, in '09, there was no such thing as a poster not being around after the concert. So there is two drastic differences there. This year seems to be a decent happy medium. As in, you'll probably be able to get one, just don't wait until after the show. I'd probably at least get one before they start.

Now, MSG 1 and 2 might be a different story.
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Sidnum wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Well until '09, there was no such thing as a poster even existing before the opening band, generally speaking. Then, in '09, there was no such thing as a poster not being around after the concert. So there is two drastic differences there. This year seems to be a decent happy medium. As in, you'll probably be able to get one, just don't wait until after the show. I'd probably at least get one before they start.

Posters will be available in the goods section after the tour just as the 09 posters were.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
    Sidnum wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Posters will be available in the goods section after the tour just as the 09 posters were.

Maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they weren't.
    ^^^^^^Already said it was happening from a tenclub employee.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Sidnum wrote:

Maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they weren't.

they will be. :) It was confirmed.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    In Kansas City I was embarassed to stand in line with so many people freaking out about posters. One guy actually looked like he was crying when they told him they were out. Really. There were people pushing the line, yelling at staff 'you better have a poster for me when I get up there.' I got my tee and got the fuck outta there. Merch hounds scare the shit out of me
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425

They can't sell what they don't have. A Pearl Jam employee(person in charge of merch) said that the whole run of posters was at one show(don't remember the particular show) and they sold out.
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,033
    DewieCox wrote:

They can't sell what they don't have. A Pearl Jam employee(person in charge of merch) said that the whole run of posters was at one show(don't remember the particular show) and they sold out.

I have a feeling you're right. 10C may have kept some prints to sell on the site but I doubt it will be like the '09 posters. I think for '09 they printed too many.
    DewieCox wrote:

Who said they bring every poster to the show? hmmmmm. The ones at the show were sold out but that's not all of them.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    DewieCox wrote:

Who said they bring every poster to the show? hmmmmm. The ones at the show were sold out but that's not all of them.

The merch manager(or whatever it's called) told some fans that the entire poster run at one of the shows and it sold out. It was one of the first few shows of the tour and it was posted by in either the relay threads or the fanview threads.

I wanna say it was Columbus b/c I think it was what convinced me to buy a poster at Indy and kick myself for not buying at St Lou.

I'd guess they're gonna have most of the posters for sale later, but I wouldn't count on alotta prints or each and every show.

If you wanna poster for a decent cost, get there by the show time on the ticket and head to one of the merch tables that isnt sitting right at the entrance.

Posters are meant to be collectible, so people should expect higher prices. That being said, I don't mind if PJ wants to print up a ton of them. I just look at gettin one at cost as a bonus.
  • AO JammaAO Jamma Posts: 53
    I'd just like to take this time to thank the awesome 10c members that sold me their extra Boston last night for cost. I even tried to throw a few extra dollars at them for their "trouble" and they gave it back to me. I wish I had gotten your names.

THANK YOU.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Been lucky to attend every show in New England since 1996.
    AO Jamma wrote:
    I'd just like to take this time to thank the awesome 10c members that sold me their extra Boston last night for cost. I even tried to throw a few extra dollars at them for their "trouble" and they gave it back to me. I wish I had gotten your names.

THANK YOU.

This is what I would expect from fellow members. Very cool.
    Sidnum wrote:
    AO Jamma wrote:

THANK YOU.

This is what I would expect from fellow members. Very cool.

Pearl Jam learned they can make more money printing more. Why would they want other people making money off of their product. Thats why there have been more available after the tours. Not only will they make money at the shows off of them but now they can make money on people not at the show who may like the artwork or who just want them to display. The 10 Club is a business after all so why not make money off of people not at the show. The posters are almost like the bootlegs at this point to fans and they are going to sell as many as they can.

Because the supposed merch manager said they had all of the posters allotted doesn't mean more aren't being printed for a post tour sale.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
    they need to keep them elusive sometimes or people will stop collecting and they will sell less overall.