Buried or cremated?

2»

Comments

• zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    i have pretty specific, but basic plans for my end day - and ive told my family if any of it is broken, i'll haunt them for the rest of their days ;)

burial is morbid to me - staying in a box in the ground going all gunky, surrounded by acres of other dead people ... eerrg, it's a huge rip off.
    I want whatever is donatable to go, then to be put in the pine/cardboard box that a regular coffin was packed in - paying for good wood to be burnt is another rip off; then put in the furnace; then i want my ashes planted with a new tree (prob a golden ash or suchlike, and thats not being sarcastic - they look so pretty in autumn loosing their leaves, then they grow back in summer all strong & green - its a cycle, like life.) My family or whoever can visit that tree just as easily as a gravesite, and im betting it'll be a lot less depressing & morbid.
    impatience is a gift ........
  • zenith wrote:
    i have pretty specific, but basic plans for my end day - and ive told my family if any of it is broken, i'll haunt them for the rest of their days ;)

burial is morbid to me - staying in a box in the ground going all gunky, surrounded by acres of other dead people ... eerrg, it's a huge rip off.
    I want whatever is donatable to go, then to be put in the pine/cardboard box that a regular coffin was packed in - paying for good wood to be burnt is another rip off; then put in the furnace; then i want my ashes planted with a new tree (prob a golden ash or suchlike, and thats not being sarcastic - they look so pretty in autumn loosing their leaves, then they grow back in summer all strong & green - its a cycle, like life.) My family or whoever can visit that tree just as easily as a gravesite, and im betting it'll be a lot less depressing & morbid.

I like the sound of that plan! :)
    "makes much more sense to live in the present tense"
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    id like to be cremated, kept in a empty folgers can, driven to the coast by The Dude and Walter, then set free all over The Dude's beard and-

SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNIE!
    +1 (for obvious reasons)
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Cremated.....and then when I get put in that little box with my little plaque, I want all my pets' ashes put in there with me. Then when my bf dies, his ashes are going in the same box too.

We are doing that exact same thing with our pets and us. We had 3 scottie dogs, sadly only one left now but we have our babies here with us till we are all ready for the box. Oh what a lovely thread :lol:
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    zenith wrote:

wow that tree thing is an AWESOME idea...
    on a side note, just make sure you get planted in some sort of forest reserve :shock:
    you don't want to end up being someone's hockey stick or cabinet...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    cremated!
    ashes tossed out to sea. no embalming, just take my useful organs and burn baby, burn.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Just let the herd of wolverines that killed me go ahead and eat the corpse.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    cremated!
    ashes tossed out to sea. no embalming, just take my useful organs and burn baby, burn.

likewise ... although i'd like to add - no fancy coffin and please dump my ashes with my dogs ... :)
    polaris_x wrote:
    cremated!

likewise ... although i'd like to add - no fancy coffin and please dump my ashes with my dogs ... :)

funny, all us dog owners have similar ideas. i've promised mr. dream to mix up his ashes with all our dogs and kitty before tossing out to sea. as of right now, we already have 2 dogs and a kitty. :( all earlier pets was before the option of individual pet cremation was available.

and you bet, plain pine box will do me just fine. so much surrounding death is so wasteful imo.....if i'm gone, i'm gone. sure, be respectful, but yea, no need to spend mega-bucks to do so!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    funny, all us dog owners have similar ideas. i've promised mr. dream to mix up his ashes with all our dogs and kitty before tossing out to sea. as of right now, we already have 2 dogs and a kitty. :( all earlier pets was before the option of individual pet cremation was available.

and you bet, plain pine box will do me just fine. so much surrounding death is so wasteful imo.....if i'm gone, i'm gone. sure, be respectful, but yea, no need to spend mega-bucks to do so!

my gf took a course in conducting in-home funerals ... so, people can be in their homes when they die ... part of it was learning how to build a coffin! ... ;)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We already own our spots, I'm going in a drawer next to Cap, my husbands father, at WI Memorial Park. Most people in drawers I don't think get cremated but I'd like to be. I'm honored to be there beside him. We will go out for coffee together ;) shiver.....
    All his grandkids made a horrid mess with McD's one afternoon when he was down for lunch. I snapped my fingers for our Brittany and she came and cleaned the floor under the kitchen table clean as a whistle. He got a kick out of that and had a big belly laugh, I can still hear his laugh. It's also my husbands laugh.
    polaris_x wrote:

my gf took a course in conducting in-home funerals ... so, people can be in their homes when they die ... part of it was learning how to build a coffin! ... ;)

eh well, THAT is not for me.
    i've told hubby to just get me cremated ASAP and then sure, take friends and family to my fave italian place and eat & drink up! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    cremated!
    +1
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Organs donated
    Arse given to bicycle park.
    Pecker made into golf bag.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    All useful bits donated. Then cremated with ashes scattered with ashes of our dogs. Site to be Boston Harbor outer islands. See the waves on distant shores awaiting your arrival? (although I'll be pissed if I wash up on the beach near my house.)

Big party at bar at local marina where friends & family will be forced to listen to my playlist and watch an endlessly looping presentation of photos and videos of my dogs. Open bar, of course.

Absolutely no wake, I don't want people standing around staring at my remains.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    All useful bits donated. Then cremated with ashes scattered with ashes of our dogs. Site to be Boston Harbor outer islands. See the waves on distant shores awaiting your arrival? (although I'll be pissed if I wash up on the beach near my house.)

Big party at bar at local marina where friends & family will be forced to listen to my playlist and watch an endlessly looping presentation of photos and videos of my dogs. Open bar, of course.

Absolutely no wake, I don't want people standing around staring at my remains.

:thumbup:
    sounds like a damn fine send-off, and quite similar to what i have in mind too. celebrate the life!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I'm taking notes... everyone has good ideas.
    I guess i haven't thought of it much...

Def. love the dog idea.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    I want to be cremated--don't want a bunch of people looking at me.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Cremate me. I don't want my lifeless corpse taking up land.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I'm listed as a donor on my drivers licence - every part of me that is useful I want to go to someone who needs it. Then cremated. Ashes taken up to the range of mountains near here where you can see both coasts and scattered in the wind (down wind!!!!) I don't need some memorial for people to never visit.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Listed as an organ donor..they're of no use to me when I am gone. I have always had it on my license, but it really was concreted in my mind in the last 2years as a friends daughter is on the critical list awaiting a dual transplant of kidneys and pancreas, she has also lost her vision. She is 27yo and was diagnosed type 1 diabetic when she was just 2yo, and it is so sad to see her body failing her and she was so independant.

And cremate me....less space needed. Then take my ashes to Mon Repos beach and let them fly!

I admire my mum, she is donating her body to the Queensland Uni for research!!! YEAH!! Then she said whatever is left to cremate it.