Options

Scientology

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
edited July 2013 in A Moving Train
I used to think that Scientology was just a tax dodge...a way for wealthy snobs to make tax deductible contributions to a "religious" organization while that organization provided them with benefits like travel/entertainment/etc

These people are fucked....

http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/6.htm

http://www.scientology.org/

Have any of you dug into this?
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    A few years ago I read about them strictly from the internet ---mostly anti-member boards-- to get their take. VERY WEIRD and you have to pay a lot of $$$$ to move up to the next level.

I also recently was read about Mormonism since I was curious---they have some beliefs that are whack (to me)-- like the Earth is only 10,000 years old, Dinosaurs did not live on earth but God brought their bones over here (not sure why!!), the Garden of Eden was in MISSOURI somewhere and also, the sun is powered by some other planet!!!!!!!!!

(cue the Twilight Zone music) :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    ...on the first read, I thought Lizard say "Moronism". :lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    Lizard wrote:
    Dinosaurs did not live on earth but God brought their bones over here (not sure why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwskEE_Ks_g
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Lizard wrote:
    Dinosaurs did not live on earth but God brought their bones over here (not sure why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwskEE_Ks_g
    :lol::lol:
    Well thanks for that---now it ALL makes sense!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    kl277374kl277374 Posts: 20
    The most interesting thing about it is that it began as a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and Philip K. Dick (Minority Report, among others). Or so I've heard. They were both writing students and they bet each other as to who could start a religion first.
    Urban legend? Maybe. But it's just too ridiculous to be less than skeptical. Kind of seems like the bet is a feasible explanation.
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I worked with a guy in San Diego that tried to turn me on to Scientology. I knew enough about the origins that I wanted to stay clear of it. It's one thing to place your faith in events that took place 2,000 years ago. But I'm able to shoot holes in any religion that has come about in the last 100 years. The whole background story is just absurd.

But I will say this, the scientologists all seem to be very happy and decent human beings. Maybe the real joke is on us . . .
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    All religions are absolutely ridiculous on some obvious level if you don't yourself believe them. Half the world believe in zombie's or talking snakes, yet this is the mark of Christianity and the Bible. :shock:
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    yeah I always think it is interesting to hear christians say how ridiculous Scientology or the LDS beliefs are when they do the zombie thing

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Lizard wrote:
    I also recently was read about Mormonism since I was curious---they have some beliefs that are whack (to me)-- like the Earth is only 10,000 years old, Dinosaurs did not live on earth but God brought their bones over here (not sure why!!), the Garden of Eden was in MISSOURI somewhere and also, the sun is powered by some other planet!!!!!!!!!

Jesus Christ...try living in Utah.

Bill Hicks has a great bit on their belief of the Earth's age and Dinosaurs by the way.

RIP Bill...we need you. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Scientology is BRILLIANT
    observe any religion and you'll realise how much money you can make off its believers...
    now just hike up the prices and you're set.
    better business plan than creating google ;)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    yeah I always think it is interesting to hear christians say how ridiculous Scientology or the LDS beliefs are when they do the zombie thing

Yes, don't you know Jesus was born by a virgin, crucified for our sins and rose from the dead. Extremely plausible.
  • Options
    lol i've never heard someone put it that way
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

heh....I didn't even get to the talking snakes and burning shrubbery yet!!

• Options
    haffajappa wrote:

heh....I didn't even get to the talking snakes and burning shrubbery yet!!
    or that we were all populated by a form of inbreeding? :shock:
  • Options
    http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/50824/

Church of Scientology Probed by FBI Over Human Trafficking Claims: Report

The Church of Scientology is under investigation by the FBI over allegations that it engaged in human trafficking, according to an exclusive report by Lawrence Wright of The New Yorker magazine. In other reports, the Church has denied such claims, saying the "complaint was resoundingly dismissed" by a judge.

After interviewing former members of the church, including filmmaker Paul Haggis, Wright wrote that the L. Ron Hubbard-founded group is being investigated by the FBI over accusations that it unfairly treated workers.

Citing court documents, the magazine alleged that Church leader David Miscavige engaged in violent acts against staff and members, claims that Miscavige and Scientology have denied.

Wright, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, reported that at Gold Base, a main church headquarters in the California desert, Miscavige instructed Scientology leaders to be "violent" and "aggressive" in disciplining members of the Sea Org, the group’s religious order.

The New Yorker story also said the church subjected its members to forced labor camps.

“Sea Org members who have ‘failed to fulfill their ecclesiastical responsibilities’ may be sent to one of the church’s several Rehabilitation Project Force locations,” the article said. “Defectors describe them as punitive reeducation camps.”

Wright interviewed a former member, Claire Headley, who filed a lawsuit against the church.

“Every last trace of my life, as I knew it, was thrown away,” she told Wright. “It was like living in George Orwell’s ‘1984.’”

Citing former Scientology members, Wright also wrote that Miscavige drove around in fleets of luxury cars, flew on chartered jets, and lived a life of luxury. Wright noted that the Church also denied that these allegations were factual.

The Australian obtained a statement from the church which rejected the accusations against it found in Wright’s article.

"The Church [of Scientology] has never been advised of any government investigation, a fact The New Yorker knew before it went to print,” the church said in a statement obtained by the newspaper.

“Moreover, the subject of the alleged investigation was recently raised in a lawsuit by the same individuals who are the sources for the article and the complaint was resoundingly dismissed by a Federal District Court Judge," it added.

AOL News reported that the FBI has closed the case, which conflicts with Wright's claims that the probe is still open. "A federal law enforcement source told AOL News the investigation has fallen short and no criminal charges are expected to be filed," the report said.

However, Wright maintained that two FBI sources close to the investigation "assured me that the case remains open."
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options

zombies?
    grace and peace
  • Options
    samsonite wrote:

zombies?

def: a corpse brought to life

Jesus = zombie

• Options
    samsonite wrote:

zombies?

def: a corpse brought to life

Jesus = zombie

i see.

we (christians) do believe some weird things. of course, if we dissect anyone's belief/worldview we'll find we ALL believe in some pretty weird things.
    grace and peace
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Lizard wrote:
    A few years ago I read about them strictly from the internet ---mostly anti-member boards-- to get their take. VERY WEIRD and you have to pay a lot of $$$$ to move up to the next level.

If dinosaurs never lived here, how do they explain Fred Flintsone's crane at Mr. Slate's quarry?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    samsonite wrote:
    i see.

we (christians) do believe some weird things. of course, if we dissect anyone's belief/worldview we'll find we ALL believe in some pretty weird things.
    Which is the truth... ALL religions believe in some pretty wierd things. Whether it is spaceships, talking snakes, women made from a rib, reincarnation, volcanoes, etc... it's fine. It is called 'Faith'. Belief in something that cannot be proven... just like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or leprechauns.
    I have no problems with religions... EXCEPT when they try to apply their beliefs on my life. I say, believe what you may... and go through your journey in peace. Just do me the same favor and let me go my way.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

If dinosaurs never lived here, how do they explain Fred Flintsone's crane at Mr. Slate's quarry?

thanks for clearing that up for me LMAO
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Lizard wrote:

..and the lost Jewish tribe that migrated to North America a couple of thousand years or so back
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    tybird wrote:
    ..and the lost Jewish tribe that migrated to North America a couple of thousand years or so back
    Made a wrong turn at the intersection of Sodom Blvd. and Jericho Street and ended up in Missouri. Yeah... that is one lost motherfuckin' tribe, Jack.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    norm wrote:

Just got my New Yorker in the mail today. Really looking forward to reading this. The article is getting crazy hype.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    They once collared me on the street in Brighton, England, and I went along with it for a couple of weeks. They got me to fill out a form and then persuaded me to go along to one of their seminars. After that, and after having read about 100 pages of the book by L. Ron Hubbard, I decided it was all a load of bollocks and so didn't want anything more to do with it. But they kept phnoning me, trying to get me to go back. They were still calling me about a year later.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited February 2011
    kl277374 wrote:
    The most interesting thing about it is that it began as a bet between L. Ron Hubbard and Philip K. Dick (Minority Report, among others). Or so I've heard. They were both writing students and they bet each other as to who could start a religion first.
    Urban legend? Maybe. But it's just too ridiculous to be less than skeptical. Kind of seems like the bet is a feasible explanation.

Philip K. Dick was one crazy dude (or was he?). I need to learn more about him.

BBC Arena Documentary here:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJehaCfn ... 2E92B08279
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUXP_gL ... re=related
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhg3GYtC ... re=related
    Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYpuDLHI ... re=related
    Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_UR4m0- ... re=related
    Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKcpNJHa ... re=related
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    So, I just read a little. I don't have the time right now. But I couldn't help thinking...my, what a lot of weird stuff in their father Hubbard's cupboard, eh? lol
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    L. Ron Hubbard = Timothy Leary ?...turn on tune out :lol:

Godfather.