Is there really a time to stop?!

2»

Comments

• cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    If you can hear the person next to you clearly then the crowd isn't loud enough lol

Eddie did a call-and-response bit during the Daughter tag at Jazz Fest, but the crowd kept singing it back to him even after he'd finished and was winding it down - so he came back to the mic and kept the tag going for a while. It was pretty awesome.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • StrykerStryker Posts: 585
    RiotZact wrote:
    Last night in Cleveland I sang along with every word of every song fairly loudly, my uncle and dad said they didn't mind but there is a time to stop and just listen, but I don't see why because you can still hear them over your own voice and it's fun.

I'll sing along until the day I die. Every word to every fucking song. In fact, I can't understand how people can not sing along.
  • jethrojam420jethrojam420 Posts: 1,075
    Stryker wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:
    Last night in Cleveland I sang along with every word of every song fairly loudly, my uncle and dad said they didn't mind but there is a time to stop and just listen, but I don't see why because you can still hear them over your own voice and it's fun.

I'll sing along until the day I die. Every word to every fucking song. In fact, I can't understand how people can not sing along.

ditto. and we aint the only ones.....
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    "Is there really a time to stop?!"

Yea, during Mike's solos...
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
    fugawzi wrote:
    "Is there really a time to stop?!"

Yea, during Mike's solos...

Yeah... singing along is a few degrees cooler than playing air guitar, I guess haha
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Stryker wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

ditto. and we aint the only ones.....

Yes this is exactly what I thought
  • asurPRIZEleftasurPRIZEleft Posts: 229
    It's actually really funny you mention this because something similar happened to me at Cleveland. I took my girlfriend to her first show, tried to prepare her for the die-hards the best to my ability. We were in section 125 which ROCKED. Everyone sang every word. Only on the slow songs did people sing to themselves (didn't scream). She mentioned after the show how she has never been to a show where everyone sang to the point where you could hardly hear the singer. She wasn't mad...she just never experienced that before. I replied that when a band has such raw energy and emotion in their music...like Pearl Jam, the completely involuntary response is to sing with all of your heart and soul.
    Yeah, and if anybody tells me to stop singing, I'd tell them to kiss my ass. go get security and see if they will throw me out for singing. some of u people are crazy and need to lighten up.
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--May 30, 2006
    Verizon Center-Washington, DC--June 22, 2008
    Lyric Opera House-Baltimore, MD--June 14, 2009(Eddie Vedder Solo)
    Wachovia Spectrum-Philadelphia, PA--Oct 31, 2009

I Only Own My Mind...
    It is as bad as second hand smoke, farting in an elevator full of people, standing in a doorway where people are trying to get through, coughing on a buffet, or partying too loud after midnight knowing you're disturbing your neighbors. It's about consideration for the people around you and making the experience good for everybody. I'm not saying don't sing at all. But I think there is a certain level where it annoys others and cuts into their experience. I don't think it requires a survey of the people around you. You just have to use some judgment. At LA3, there was a 300-400 lb Baby Huey looking individual who moaned like a grizzley bear when he sang. During "Just Breathe", he sang, moaned, it loud to the point that he was as loud as Ed. I was unable to listen to Just Breathe for about 6 months after the show because that walrus standing next to me popped into my head, and that noise. I'm sure he enjoyed himself but ruined it for me and possibly others. I've seen others sing and keep it reasonably well to themselves, not ruining it for others. They used better judgment.
    then stay home. IT IS A ROCK CONCERT, A ROCK CONCERT. IF YOU WANT QUIET GO TO THE FUCKING OPERA. A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT

I Only Own My Mind...
  • in eds treein eds tree Posts: 539
    i am not responsible for my actions, which include jumping up and down and bumping into people on occasion (sorry, it happens). it for goddamned sure includes rocking out at the top of my lungs! after leaving a show i am hoarse for at least a week. granted, this doesn't include slower songs like just breathe, haha. but i have never had anyone turn around and tell me i was too loud. if anything most people around me are either amused, or don't notice because they are in as much of a zone as i am. without that kind of energy the shows would not be the same!
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    It is as bad as second hand smoke, farting in an elevator full of people, standing in a doorway where people are trying to get through, coughing on a buffet, or partying too loud after midnight knowing you're disturbing your neighbors. It's about consideration for the people around you and making the experience good for everybody. I'm not saying don't sing at all. But I think there is a certain level where it annoys others and cuts into their experience. I don't think it requires a survey of the people around you. You just have to use some judgment. At LA3, there was a 300-400 lb Baby Huey looking individual who moaned like a grizzley bear when he sang. During "Just Breathe", he sang, moaned, it loud to the point that he was as loud as Ed. I was unable to listen to Just Breathe for about 6 months after the show because that walrus standing next to me popped into my head, and that noise. I'm sure he enjoyed himself but ruined it for me and possibly others. I've seen others sing and keep it reasonably well to themselves, not ruining it for others. They used better judgment.
    then stay home. IT IS A ROCK CONCERT, A ROCK CONCERT. IF YOU WANT QUIET GO TO THE FUCKING OPERA. A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT

What would you know about an opera? Let me quote myself, "I'm not saying don't sing at all. But I think there is a certain level where it annoys others and cuts into their experience. I don't think it requires a survey of the people around you. You just have to use some judgment. ". Is this unreasonable? I'm not saying not to sing. I am saying people should be considerate of others and a reasonable person with halfway decent judgment should know the line where if you cross over you're irritating others and wrecking their experience. If you're lucky enough to be surrounded by people who see it your way, all the best to you and congratulations. I have my limits. If someone sings so loud that it drowns out the band, at the levels their sound system is cranked up, then I'm pissed. I don't think it is unreasonable to be pissed in those circumstances. Maybe I'm uptight and most people would be happy until someone pee'd on them. I don't know what to say.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river

What would you know about an opera? Let me quote myself, "I'm not saying don't sing at all. But I think there is a certain level where it annoys others and cuts into their experience. I don't think it requires a survey of the people around you. You just have to use some judgment. ". Is this unreasonable? I'm not saying not to sing. I am saying people should be considerate of others and a reasonable person with halfway decent judgment should know the line where if you cross over you're irritating others and wrecking their experience. If you're lucky enough to be surrounded by people who see it your way, all the best to you and congratulations. I have my limits. If someone sings so loud that it drowns out the band, at the levels their sound system is cranked up, then I'm pissed. I don't think it is unreasonable to be pissed in those circumstances. Maybe I'm uptight and most people would be happy until someone pee'd on them. I don't know what to say.
    I wouldn't know anything about an opera.....cause I like fucking rock concerts

I Only Own My Mind...
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    you guys are being silly.......

there's so many OTHER things that can ruin a concert:
    getting pissed on
    getting vomited on
    getting beer dumped on you
    drunk people bumping to you again and again
    getting stuck in traffic and missing pj
    security throwing you out because you won't give up on getting a pic
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    edited October 2010

:|
    Post edited by DangDang on

Seriously... how loud do you have to be to drown out the band?
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    phungi wrote:
    Don't you think you've done enough?
    Oh, don't you think you've got enough? well maybe...
    You don't think there's time to stop

that song popped into my head when I read thread title.

all those paperplates....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Seriously... how loud do you have to be to drown out the band?

Exactly my point. This guy managed to do exactly that. I think it took quite a lot of effort. I'm not sure his throat felt so well the next day. So to your point, and a couple of others, you can actually sing quite a bit without even being noticed by others. I think that if one crosses the line where it drowns out the band, or impacts other people's experiences, they have lost courtesy and respect for others and put one's own pleasure at the number 1 position regardless of others. My main point is not to stop singing, it is to know when you're wrecking other people's experiences.

Unrelated but sort of the same thing. I went hiking up a 11,500 foot mountain in Southern California. It is in a designated wilderness area. At the summit, you can imagine the clean air, expansive views. A small group of people was at the summit taking it all in. Someone arrived at the summit and lit a cigar. The smoke was in everybody's face. I don't mind a good cigar. But I think common judgment would say that these people didn't hike 8 miles to a mountaintop in a wilderness to smell a cigar. If nobody was there, it might be different. That cigar is probably the first memory of that trip. Is that right? My first memory of LA3 was that Walrus drowning out Ed. My first memory should be the great show, Cornell/Cantrell appearances, but it is not.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 127

I don't think it requires a survey of the people around you. You just have to use some judgment. ". Is this unreasonable? I am saying people should be considerate of others and a reasonable person with halfway decent judgment should know the line where if you cross over you're irritating others and wrecking their experience. If you're lucky enough to be surrounded by people who see it your way, all the best to you and congratulations.

The day I go to a PJ show thinking those thoughts is the day I stop going. I'll ask myself those questions the next time I go to the library or I'm sitting in a doctors waiting room. I go to shows to rock out and if the people in front of me that paid the same price I did to see the band happen to hear me too bad for them, its a fucking rock concert!
  • doubledeedoubledee Posts: 23
    Hmmm, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I sang a few songs too loud. I couldn't really hear myself and heard the band just fine, but at one point my friend switched seats with me because she thought maybe I would be able to see better. ( only 5' short!) Now I'm wondering if I was singing loudly in her ear! But how can you not sing loud to Leash!! Oh well, we both had a great time and that's all that matters :)
    " I am no man!"

Toledo 1996; Cleveland 1998; Columbus 2000; Cleveland 2003; Columbus 2003; Toledo 2004; Detroit 2006; Pittsburgh 2006; Columbus 2010; Cleveland 2010; Toronto 2011
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    im gonna sing every word and i don't give a rats ass what people think

in fact i've had people tell me how great it was to watch me rock out ( air guitar and all) at numerous shows
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    im gonna sing every word and i don't give a rats ass what people think

in fact i've had people tell me how great it was to watch me rock out ( air guitar and all) at numerous shows
    u can sit next to me anytime

I Only Own My Mind...
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    RiotZact wrote:

sometimes people just can't sing and its annoying to hear right next to you especially if you are screaming. I think that was a polite way of telling you that your voice is horrible, especially at high levels.

HAHAHHA! So right now.......im there to hear the band sing. If you get caught up and jam for a line of a verse, thats fine, however, none of us are Ed, so lets let him be the pro.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    RiotZact wrote:

sometimes people just can't sing and its annoying to hear right next to you especially if you are screaming. I think that was a polite way of telling you that your voice is horrible, especially at high levels.

At Bristow, there was a guy behind me that started to loudly sing, well, awful. I had read this bunch of posts before the show, inhibitions were running low, and so I turned around and said sincerely (as I was being sincere) "I think you're singing a little out of tune". He cracked up and laughed and said "oh, I didn't know".

He was then able to get better control of his vocal chords and continued singing more in tune and thus, much less noticeable to those around.

Thank you Pearl Jam Forum for making the world a better-sounding, peaceful, happy--and jolly--place