Options

Saw Stone at Dinner on Sat. night in Indy

know1know1 Posts: 6,765
edited June 2010 in The Porch
We stayed an extra night in Indy and went out to eat at the Capital Grille on Saturday night. We were waiting for our table when I happened to notice that Stone was dining there - at one of the bar tables no less - about 10 feet away. I assume he was there with his wife.

I'm not into autographs whatsoever and pretty much feel like it's important to respect people's privacy so we didn't go over and talk to him. Once we got seated at our table I couldn't see him anymore. At one point, I went to use the restroom and he was still there. If he had made eye contact I was going to give him a thumbs up or something just to let him know that I appreciate his music, but he never took his eyes off the NASCAR race that was on the television in the bar area.

I asked the waiter about it later and why he wasn't at an actual table and the waiter said that it was probably because he didn't have a reservation. I guess Stone didn't play the celebrity card.

I actually never saw anyone come up and talk to him in the 5-10 minutes we waited for our table or when I went to the restroom, so I guess it was a pretty low key night.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nothingman4nothingman4 Posts: 794
    Nothing but class
    2005:Calgary, Edmonton
    2008:Bonnaroo
    2009:Virgin Fest Calgary, Outside Lands
    2010:Boston, MSG1, MSG2
    2011:EV Seattle (x2), PJ20(x2), Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver

"You are the luckiest fan in the board having heard oceans, release and hard to imagine three shows in a row!!"
  • Options
    scouser tommyscouser tommy Posts: 189
    that man is just so cool
    Wembly Arena-oct 28-1996 . MEN-june 04-2000 . MSG-july 08-2003 . MSG-july 09-2003 . GM Place-sep 02-2005 . Pengrowth Saddledome-sep 05-2005 . Astoria-april 20-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 15-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 16-2006 . Bill Graham Auditorium-july 18-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 22-2006 . Gorge Amphitheatre-july 23-2006 . Leeds Festival-aug 25-2006 . Wembley Arena-june 18-2007 . Forum Copenhagen-june 26-2007 . Verizon Amphitheatre-june 17-2008 . MSG-june 24-2008 . MSG-june 25-2008 . Sheperds Bush Empire-aug 11-2009 . MEN-aug 17-2009 . O2 arena-aug 18-2009 . United Centre-aug 23-2009 . United Centre-aug 24-2009 . MSG-may 20-2010 . MSG-may 21-2010 . Hyde Park-june 25-2010 . Air Canada Centre-sep 11-2011 . Air Canada Centre-sep 12-2011
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    cool story. very nice of you to not go all "fan boy" on him....im sure it was tough to do, and tough for anyone....

but it's proof that there are some very respectful fans on here, that respect the band as band members, and their personal lives. I'd do the exact same....thumbs up during eye contact if anything at all....

cool.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    michelleelisemichelleelise Posts: 346
    Cool story and very classy behavior on your part :)
  • Options
    InHerOwnWorldInHerOwnWorld Posts: 592
    Very cool. 8-)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    NASCAR, huh?

:)

Nice story.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    should have offered him a seat at your table!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 571
    NASCAR, huh?

Nice story.

PBM

Probably pissed about all of the fuel they are burning up. :o
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    NASCAR, huh?

Nice story.

PBM

When I walked by, that's what was on the TV he was watching. He may have been watching the news crawl at the bottom, though. Or just staring into space. I can't say he was watching it the entire time he was there.

• Options
    yahamita wrote:
    should have offered him a seat at your table!

Thought of that later, but he was already eating before we went to our table.

• Options
    cool. i'd love to meet Stone.
  • Options
    RZ27566RZ27566 Posts: 57
    Now thats funny about the fuel burning up, That guy should of got an autograph and a picture we pay these guys salaries, if they can't sign anything or take a picture with us then they should get out of the biz after all the fans made them what they are.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    RZ27566 wrote:
    Now thats funny about the fuel burning up, That guy should of got an autograph and a picture we pay these guys salaries, if they can't sign anything or take a picture with us then they should get out of the biz after all the fans made them what they are.

if a guy is having dinner, you leave them alone. it's an unwritten rule.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RZ27566 wrote:

That's a bit harsh. I made the decision not to go up to him. If I had, I'm sure he would have been very gracious.

I just don't have any use for autographs and I don't need proof that I saw him (i.e. a picture). I know what he looks like plus if people don't believe me without a picture, I don't really care (not saying anyone is insinuating that, but rather expressing that I don't think a pic is a big deal).

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i wonder if he was traveling seperate from the rest of the band. Ed said that he wouldn't be able to hang out with his old freinds from chicago because he was leaving right after the show.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    RZ27566 wrote:

Sorry, totally disagree. Everyone has the right to a quiet dinner out without being bothered.

After seeing Springsteen at Fenway a few years back I went back to the hotel with my cousins who had made a huge trip out of the show and got a room at the very swanky Four Seasons. We were walking back into the hotel after the show and one of the bellman, who my cousin had chatted with earlier, told us to go into the Bristol Lounge, the hotel's bar. (We really aren't the Bristol Lounge types.) My cousin declined, and the bellman said, "Trust me _ go into the lounge." So we did. And not 15 minutes later in came the whole band. Very low key. They shut the doors after Springsteen came in and wouldn't let anyone else in.

I was so awestruck I couldn't move from the chair. Couldn't have taken a photo if my life depended on it. I just sat there with my jaw agape. My cousin got up, walked by Bruce who was milling about, turned and said, "I just wanted to say that we've seen you play a dozen times, but tonight was really special." Bruce reached out and took her hand and thanked her sincerely. Direct eye contact, very meaningful. My cousin smiled, very cool, then turned and kept walking, right out the door. Later on we found out she was shaking so bad she had to go back to the room and open a bottle of wine...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited May 2010
    RZ27566 wrote:
    I don't know about you, but I pay Stone for his music, not his personal time.

Stone doesn't owe me or you the time of day.

Just because you make alot of money, doesn't mean your personal life should be everyone elses too. No money is worth that.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    InHerOwnWorldInHerOwnWorld Posts: 592
    RZ27566 wrote:
    I don't know about you, but I pay Stone for his music, not his personal time.

Stone doesn't owe me or you the time of day.

Just becasue you make alot of money, doesn't mean your personal life should everyone elses. No money is worth that.

Yeah pretty much.
  • Options
    Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    Nothing but class

+1
    México 24/11/2011
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    RZ27566 wrote:
    it's an unwritten rule.

Also, don't walk across the pitcher's mound and don't try to bunt during a potential no-hitter.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    that man is just so cool

The guy sat at a bar, watched TV and had a beer and some food. What is "so cool" about him in this story? Some tend to forget that the band are humans just like you and I.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    So what was Stone eating????

8-)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,910
    that man is just so cool

The guy sat at a bar, watched TV and had a beer and some food. What is "so cool" about him in this story? Some tend to forget that the band are humans just like you and I.

What's cool is the guy (Stone) doesn't need to eat @ upper class restaurants & bitch where he seats at. He's like any other Joe, like ourselves. Plus, cause he didn't have a reservation & probably wanted to eat @ a table, he didn't storm out like crazy folks that get pissed off if they don't get a table or wait for more then 10 minutes for one and then leave the restaurant like they are King of the Jungle & swear never to come back to the place again. Stone didn't flip, he took a seat @ the bar. He has dough & he could of stormed off and got a table any where's he want's @ another restaurant. But he has class. He's not a fake 'hot bizz' artist that if he doesn't get what he want's, he throw's a fit. The man is just so cool!
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Cool..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    that man is just so cool

What's cool is the guy (Stone) doesn't need to eat @ upper class restaurants & bitch where he seats at. He's like any other Joe, like ourselves. Plus, cause he didn't have a reservation & probably wanted to eat @ a table, he didn't storm out like crazy folks that get pissed off if they don't get a table or wait for more then 10 minutes for one and then leave the restaurant like they are King of the Jungle & swear never to come back to the place again. Stone didn't flip, he took a seat @ the bar. He has dough & he could of stormed off and got a table any where's he want's @ another restaurant. But he has class. He's not a fake 'hot bizz' artist that if he doesn't get what he want's, he throw's a fit. The man is just so cool!

I think you overestimate his popularity and influence at a Capital Grille in Indy. 98% of the people there probably don't even know who he is.
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    Cool story :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Stone is the one and only person I really want to meet in the whole world.Not just because of PJ but because of all the awesome things he is into.He is just one awesome guy. :geek:
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    stoneg wrote:
    Stone is the one and only person I really want to meet in the whole world.Not just because of PJ but because of all the awesome things he is into.He is just one awesome guy. :geek:

Star eating at Capital Grille and your dreams may come true :lol:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,910
    demetrios wrote:

I think you overestimate his popularity and influence at a Capital Grille in Indy. 98% of the people there probably don't even know who he is.

I doesn't matter if 100% of the people there didn't know who he was. Many artists & stars would of left that joint if they didn't get a table. Some would stay & ask the waiter's "psst, do you know who I am, huh? I'm the Don! Bring me a table or I'll break ya fucking leg's. Capitch?" lol. Some would even threat the place if they didn't get a table & bitch on their twitter accounts & magazines on horrible reviews. There's been many celebrity threats on restaurants & grill's that you wouldn't believe.

know1, it's great that you left him in peace & not bother him. If though it was a group of Pearl Jam fan girls & they knew Stone was there when they walked in, lucky Stone would of left that place with nothing but socks on.
  • Options
    Ample JarAmple Jar Posts: 236
    Know1, you are a bigger man than me :) I wouldn't have bothered him while we was eating either....but I probably would've gotten my food "to go" and sat outside the restaurant and waited for him to come out....just to thank him for all the great music :) I don't ever imagine myself getting a chance to meet anyone from the band, so I don't think I could let it pass by if the opportunity arose.
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06