Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Wobbie said:
    Here's my opinion on Scott Rolen in the Hall of Fame:

N-O-B-O-D-Y went to the ballpark to see Scott Rolen.  I've not met a single Scott Rolen fan in my life. Never has anybody said the phrases "Scott Rolen is my all-time favorite baseball player, "I modeled my game after Scott Rolen, "When I was a kid, I wanted to be Scott Rolen," or "I wear #17/#27 because of Scott Rolen."

Not only is it dumb that he's in the Hall of Fame, it's even dumber that the voters took a look at that ballot and collectively said "Scott Rolen is the ONLY Hall of Famer on here."  Ridiculous.

Hall of Very Good Careers, yes; of Fame, no.
     but nice guy juicers like piazza, pudge and bagwell? c’mon!!!!!
    You forgot Griffey.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:

N-O-B-O-D-Y went to the ballpark to see Scott Rolen.  I've not met a single Scott Rolen fan in my life. Never has anybody said the phrases "Scott Rolen is my all-time favorite baseball player, "I modeled my game after Scott Rolen, "When I was a kid, I wanted to be Scott Rolen," or "I wear #17/#27 because of Scott Rolen."

Not only is it dumb that he's in the Hall of Fame, it's even dumber that the voters took a look at that ballot and collectively said "Scott Rolen is the ONLY Hall of Famer on here."  Ridiculous.

You forgot Griffey.
    Not a juicer!
    :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:

You forgot Griffey.

love it!

Wobbie said:

excellent take. the HOG is a joke. no bonds, but nice guy juicers like piazza, pudge and bagwell? c’mon!!!!!
    Fuck Bonds.

tiger juiced, too.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Because of analytics there still wont be stolen bases...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    edited February 2023
    igotid88 said:

There likely be way more stolen bases because of analytics and just common sense. Check out what happened in the minors when a lot of these changes were put into place. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

There likely be way more stolen bases because of analytics and just common sense. Check out what happened in the minors when a lot of these changes were put into place. 
    Every runner on base is worth more when there is a HR.  The base hits aren't valued so advancing the runner isn't either.  That is the big dig at analytics.

One rule change that was in the minors was a pickoff rule.  Only allowed to throw back twice.  After a pitcher does that the runner has a green light pretty much.  That increased SB's.  I don't think the majors are doping that.

Hey, I would love to see more small ball.  Baseball is trying and I get that so lets see what happens but my hopes for more SB's aren't so rosy yet.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Every runner on base is worth more when there is a HR.  The base hits aren't valued so advancing the runner isn't either.  That is the big dig at analytics.

One rule change that was in the minors was a pickoff rule.  Only allowed to throw back twice.  After a pitcher does that the runner has a green light pretty much.  That increased SB's.  I don't think the majors are doping that.

Hey, I would love to see more small ball.  Baseball is trying and I get that so lets see what happens but my hopes for more SB's aren't so rosy yet.
    But they are doing the new pick off rule. That combined with the bases being slightly larger gives the base runner a much bigger advantage. Stolen bases are going to sky rocket this year just like they did in the minors. 

Trea Turner was 27 for 30 last year. I wouldn't be shocked to see him with more than 40 this year. Stoked to have him on the Phils. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I don't mind the pitch clock. Also the banning of extreme shifts. I don't like the runner on 2nd base in extra innings. If you are going to do that at least wait until the 12th or 13th inning
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I don't mind the pitch clock. Also the banning of extreme shifts. I don't like the runner on 2nd base in extra innings. If you are going to do that at least wait until the 12th or 13th inning
    Yes I agree with this. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Interested to see how the new rules play out.  It won't fix the biggest problem in baseball, but I don't see the owners voting to force other owners to spend more.  
  • Options
    theo epstein was very transparent about how the game got “broken”….as a GM, he was trying to win…that meant shifts, endless pitching changes, analytics, etc…now, working for the commissioner, he is trying to get back to balls in play.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

But they are doing the new pick off rule. That combined with the bases being slightly larger gives the base runner a much bigger advantage. Stolen bases are going to sky rocket this year just like they did in the minors. 

Trea Turner was 27 for 30 last year. I wouldn't be shocked to see him with more than 40 this year. Stoked to have him on the Phils. 
    They are doing that? Good. 

I won’t say it’s going to be the 80’s but it’s a step in the right direction. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Interested to see how the new rules play out.  It won't fix the biggest problem in baseball, but I don't see the owners voting to force other owners to spend more.  
    As an A's fan, I would love to see them create a salary floor. Yes, the A's have a crappy stadium and need to have the Howard Terminal site approved for the new stadium, but they have the resources to increase payroll by quite a bit. The excuse they give is that Oakland is a small market because the population of Oakland itself isn't very big, but when you factor in the amount of people who live in Alameda County and Santa Clara County,  there are around 4 million people who could potentially attend the games if there was a decent stadium and owners who made a consistent effort to compete and not just be a developmental squad for the rest of MLB. 
  • Options
    As an A's fan, I would love to see them create a salary floor. Yes, the A's have a crappy stadium and need to have the Howard Terminal site approved for the new stadium, but they have the resources to increase payroll by quite a bit. The excuse they give is that Oakland is a small market because the population of Oakland itself isn't very big, but when you factor in the amount of people who live in Alameda County and Santa Clara County,  there are around 4 million people who could potentially attend the games if there was a decent stadium and owners who made a consistent effort to compete and not just be a developmental squad for the rest of MLB. 
    I hope the A’s get their shit together….otherwise, they’re vegas bound.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Wobbie said:
    I hope the A’s get their shit together….otherwise, they’re vegas bound.
    I hope the Vegas move doesn't happen, but I have no faith that the leaders of Oakland are going be able to make the deal happen. My Aunt loves the A's and goes to multiple games a year. She is a die hard. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    RIP Tim McCarver

Would drive me nuts on the air, but its a sad loss for the baseball world
  • Options
    R.I.P. Tim McCarver
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    A bore on national telecasts but a treasure in the Cardinals booth with all the great stories he would tell.
  • Options
    yeah, RIP Tim.

not a fan at all of his broadcasting (too much “I woulda”) but he was a good player and did a lot for race relations in the cardinals clubhouse.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Machado, 11 years $350MM
    This is the part where I say that is crazy and someone tells me that is how it works these days.

Yuck.
  • Options
    Machado, 11 years $350MM
    This is the part where I say that is crazy and someone tells me that is how it works these days.

Yuck.
    That's not that bad. He's making less than Judge
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Machado, 11 years $350MM

Yuck.
    That's not that bad. He's making less than Judge
    Makes the Harper contract look like a steal.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah he should make less (considerably less) than Judge and Harper is better also.
    I'm nit a Manny fan but the 11 years made me laugh

• Options
    Yeah he should make less (considerably less) than Judge and Harper is better also.

Why considerably less? He's not a bad player. Also if you're not a fan why use the "but"?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Why considerably less? He's not a bad player. Also if you're not a fan why use the "but"?
    I think one player is better than the other by a significant amount.  I don't think Manny is a bad player, he is a good player.  I think 11 year contracts for Manny and Xander are nuts and going to fuck SD down the road.  Add in what they need to do to sign Soto ( who 11 years would make more sense with) and they are going to have huge amounts allocated to guys for years.
    I laughed at the agreement length (and full no trade) in Manny's benefit, as in "damn, good for him"
    Even though I am not a fan of his, he got a hell of a deal done. 
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

I think one player is better than the other by a significant amount.  I don't think Manny is a bad player, he is a good player.  I think 11 year contracts for Manny and Xander are nuts and going to fuck SD down the road.  Add in what they need to do to sign Soto ( who 11 years would make more sense with) and they are going to have huge amounts allocated to guys for years.
    I laughed at the agreement length (and full no trade) in Manny's benefit, as in "damn, good for him"
    Even though I am not a fan of his, he got a hell of a deal done. 
    I like Judge. But that would make Manny a mid player by your standards then. I think Manny js a better player than Xander. But players like Manny are the ones who would get those full no trade. And those can be broken if the player agrees to it. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Manny at 35 is going to be an average starting 3B, imo.  His fielding likely keeps him there
    Xander the same at SS.
    I think Judge is still baller in 5 years.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Manny at 35 is going to be an average starting 3B, imo.  His fielding likely keeps him there
    Xander the same at SS.
    I think Judge is still baller in 5 years.
    Maybe. Not that many players of Judge's size and weight to compare to. He'll have the power to hit homeruns. I don't know if he'll be an elite centerfielder at 35?.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88