MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Booooo boooo yankees booooo
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    GO TIGERS!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Yes Tigers, great game Verlander. I know the Yankees have CC tomorrow...but even he need runs to win.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Justin Verlander made 18 pitches in three-ball counts but did not walk a hitter. He's the first pitcher in more than two years (regular season or postseason) to throw that many three-ball pitches without issuing a walk.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Disappointed the NCLS game is on while I'm at work, cause after Cain's comments on the dirty Holliday, I'm very interested to see the matchup. Hopefully Cain gets one up and in on him.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Lets go. One game at a time.

Yankees_Evil_Empire.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    another MVP article.

I'VE HAD JUST about enough of this sabermetric correctness pervading the debate about who should win the AL MVP. Miguel Cabrera won MLB's first Triple Crown in 45 years, but support for his candidacy has been called "Luddite," "a backlash against progress," "irresponsible" and a "mistake." New-breed statheads seem to think it's simply irrational that anyone other than Mike Trout could be most valuable.

Well, I hate to break it to my fellow professional geeks, but they are utterly wrong in how they're thinking about this argument. As a result, they've rushed to judgment in anointing Trout.

Many Trout backers are using a stat called Wins Above Replacement to capture the broad swath of the superstar rookie's talents. WAR is an ubermetric that measures how many wins a player contributed to his team compared with a replacement-level player, based on his value at the plate, on the bases and in the field. This season, Trout amassed, according to Baseball-Reference.com, a whopping 10.7 WAR -- one of the 50 highest marks in modern baseball history. Cabrera finished with 6.9 WAR.

The traditionalists who love RBIs, however, have a point when they complain that WAR doesn't measure situational performance. Indeed, in trying to evaluate players in neutral contexts, many modern stats strip away what athletes have actually accomplished. WAR and its component statistics don't care if runners are in scoring position when a player hits a double, or if it's the ninth inning of a scoreless game when he steals a base. They are built not to care, because situational results almost always even out over time and don't reflect a player's overall skill.

But just because something isn't sustainable doesn't mean it has no value. Look, if we're trying to evaluate how good a player Miguel Cabrera is -- or how he compares to other third basemen, how likely he is to keep hitting more than 40 home runs a year, how much the Tigers should pay him -- we don't want the "when" of his hitting to matter. We want to use stats with predictive power (like OPS or WAR) to measure his talent. But if we are looking retrospectively at the value of what Cabrera has done, then context matters a lot; breaking a scoreless tie is much more important than piling on in a blowout. This year, A's rookie Yoenis Cespedes hit .345 and drove in 54 runs in 135 plate appearances with men in scoring position. Maybe he was lucky, but those runs were real, and so were the games they helped win. And nobody's going to take down Oakland's division crown if Cespedes hits .243 with runners in scoring position next year. The V in MVP is about what a player has done to help his team win ballgames during the current season.

That's why in looking for the 2012 MVP, the best stat to use isn't WAR but Win Probability Added. Win probability is simply the expected chance that a team will win a game given the situation it faces. And the WPA for any player is the difference between his team's win probability before and after any given play. So, for instance, with two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the eighth inning of a tie game, the home team has a 52.3 percent chance of winning, according to sabermetrician Tom Tango. If the next batter slices a triple, his team's chance of winning jumps to 60 percent. WPA credits the player with the increase in win probability, or 0.077 of a game, for that plate appearance. If we add up WPAs for every hitter and pitcher in every game across a season, we measure the cumulative impact each player has had on his team. And that, my fellow Americans, is the definition of the MVP.

WPA reveals extraordinary performances that go beyond traditional and advanced metrics. For example, in 2005 Alex Rodriguez led the American League in home runs (48), OPS (1.031) and WAR (9.1). But David Ortiz should have won the MVP. He hit an incredible 20 homers that either tied games or gave his team the lead, so his WPA dwarfed Rodriguez's, 8.75 to 6.18.

And this season's WPA leader in the AL? Well, it's not Cabrera. At 4.85, he doesn't even rank second -- Prince Fielder does, at 4.93. The winner, at 5.28 WPA, is ... Mike Trout. So yeah, the kid should win the MVP. But let's be smarter about the case for why.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    The Fixer wrote:
    another MVP article.

I'VE HAD JUST about enough of this sabermetric correctness pervading the debate about who should win the AL MVP. Miguel Cabrera won MLB's first Triple Crown in 45 years, but support for his candidacy has been called "Luddite," "a backlash against progress," "irresponsible" and a "mistake." New-breed statheads seem to think it's simply irrational that anyone other than Mike Trout could be most valuable.

Well, I hate to break it to my fellow professional geeks, but they are utterly wrong in how they're thinking about this argument. As a result, they've rushed to judgment in anointing Trout.

Many Trout backers are using a stat called Wins Above Replacement to capture the broad swath of the superstar rookie's talents. WAR is an ubermetric that measures how many wins a player contributed to his team compared with a replacement-level player, based on his value at the plate, on the bases and in the field. This season, Trout amassed, according to Baseball-Reference.com, a whopping 10.7 WAR -- one of the 50 highest marks in modern baseball history. Cabrera finished with 6.9 WAR.

The traditionalists who love RBIs, however, have a point when they complain that WAR doesn't measure situational performance. Indeed, in trying to evaluate players in neutral contexts, many modern stats strip away what athletes have actually accomplished. WAR and its component statistics don't care if runners are in scoring position when a player hits a double, or if it's the ninth inning of a scoreless game when he steals a base. They are built not to care, because situational results almost always even out over time and don't reflect a player's overall skill.

But just because something isn't sustainable doesn't mean it has no value. Look, if we're trying to evaluate how good a player Miguel Cabrera is -- or how he compares to other third basemen, how likely he is to keep hitting more than 40 home runs a year, how much the Tigers should pay him -- we don't want the "when" of his hitting to matter. We want to use stats with predictive power (like OPS or WAR) to measure his talent. But if we are looking retrospectively at the value of what Cabrera has done, then context matters a lot; breaking a scoreless tie is much more important than piling on in a blowout. This year, A's rookie Yoenis Cespedes hit .345 and drove in 54 runs in 135 plate appearances with men in scoring position. Maybe he was lucky, but those runs were real, and so were the games they helped win. And nobody's going to take down Oakland's division crown if Cespedes hits .243 with runners in scoring position next year. The V in MVP is about what a player has done to help his team win ballgames during the current season.

That's why in looking for the 2012 MVP, the best stat to use isn't WAR but Win Probability Added. Win probability is simply the expected chance that a team will win a game given the situation it faces. And the WPA for any player is the difference between his team's win probability before and after any given play. So, for instance, with two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the eighth inning of a tie game, the home team has a 52.3 percent chance of winning, according to sabermetrician Tom Tango. If the next batter slices a triple, his team's chance of winning jumps to 60 percent. WPA credits the player with the increase in win probability, or 0.077 of a game, for that plate appearance. If we add up WPAs for every hitter and pitcher in every game across a season, we measure the cumulative impact each player has had on his team. And that, my fellow Americans, is the definition of the MVP.

WPA reveals extraordinary performances that go beyond traditional and advanced metrics. For example, in 2005 Alex Rodriguez led the American League in home runs (48), OPS (1.031) and WAR (9.1). But David Ortiz should have won the MVP. He hit an incredible 20 homers that either tied games or gave his team the lead, so his WPA dwarfed Rodriguez's, 8.75 to 6.18.

And this season's WPA leader in the AL? Well, it's not Cabrera. At 4.85, he doesn't even rank second -- Prince Fielder does, at 4.93. The winner, at 5.28 WPA, is ... Mike Trout. So yeah, the kid should win the MVP. But let's be smarter about the case for why.

What took probably hours and hours for that guy to write I can do in 10 seconds. Cabrera should get the MVP, no questions asked. Team in WS, Triple Crown, fuckoff Trout.
    The Fixer wrote:
    another MVP article.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    DewieCox wrote:
    What took probably hours and hours for that guy to write I can do in 10 seconds. Cabrera should get the MVP, no questions asked. Team in WS, Triple Crown, fuckoff Trout.

you obviously don't understand that this award is voted on before the playoffs start

other than that it's a solid post
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rain rain go away....
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Nice call Major League Baseball...still don't think it's raining in Detroit...probably be in the 5th inning by now...I wish they'd just get back to playing the games and fuck all this technology...

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i blame bud selig for rain
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Nice call Major League Baseball...still don't think it's raining in Detroit...probably be in the 5th inning by now...I wish they'd just get back to playing the games and fuck all this technology...

word.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I think they could have got the game in tonight...rained for a little over an hour, didn't start till 10 anyways, probably would have been in the 7th inning. Unless 20 minutes away the weather is way different.

Baseball Blows Decision On Tiger Rainout

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/10/17 ... s-rainout/

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I think they could have got the game in tonight...rained for a little over an hour, didn't start till 10 anyways, probably would have been in the 7th inning. Unless 20 minutes away the weather is way different.
    totally agree. it was a joke. if they were that concerned bout the rain, they shoulda started the game early. god forbid leagues don't care bout the networks and actually care bout the game.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

4:07 PM :corn:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    totally agree. it was a joke. if they were that concerned bout the rain, they shoulda started the game early. god forbid leagues don't care bout the networks and actually care bout the game.

If they started the game at 7 they probably wouldn't have got any rain, unless it went to extra innings, even with the 8 start time the game would have only been delayed an hour. Yesterday was great baseball weather...temps at game time mid 60's, today its not great weather.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    The Fixer wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

you obviously don't understand that this award is voted on before the playoffs start

other than that it's a solid post

Sure I do. What's that matter though? Trout could've stayed in the minors all season and the Angels would still be doing the same thing they've been doing the last few weeks.
    if yankees had not been down 0-3 with their last best chance on the mound, they would have played the game.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    if yankees had not been down 0-3 with their last best chance on the mound, they would have played the game.

I totally agree...but if they do get to game 7...will CC be available.

lukin2006 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Cashman says no.
    DS1119 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Cashman says no.

So just a short term benefit...well the good news...I'm 20 minutes from the park and the sun is out, however, very breezy, not sure which way the wind is blowing at the stadium but appears well have some baseball today.

GO TIGERS GO!!!

tigers sure have a lot of fat guys on their team... :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    imalive wrote:

However, they seem to be able to hit.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    imalive wrote:

However, they seem to be able to hit.

Peace

yeah....but it takes 4 singles to score a run :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Can a game go by without spending some time watching A-Rod spit sunflower seeds and discussing him...

I don't care for Rick Sutcliffe as a color analyst.