MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    DS1119 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Looked like dj blew his Achilles tendon ...that sucks

I tell you what. If he blew out his achilles and was only down on the field for that short a time with only that pain reaction that guys a fucking warrior.

drugs are awesome arent they??? :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Newch91 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    Nice to see a blown call cost the Yankees!!!
    You are such a hater.

Guilty as charged. Don't think I'm alone with that regards to the yankees. This article sums up plenty of reasons why I was happy to see a call go against the yankees.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/st ... omplaining
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    imalive wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

1-nothing; 3-nothing; what's the difference?

Big difference, especially with the poor play of the Tigers pen. Knowing that two have to get on before the tying run is at the plate is a much bigger advantage than being up 1-0.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    pureoc wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    You are such a hater.

Guilty as charged. Don't think I'm alone with that regards to the yankees. This article sums up plenty of reasons why I was happy to see a call go against the yankees.

Good article...but that was a really bad call.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    lukin2006 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Horrible call.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Newch91 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Horrible call.

Yes, was a terrible call, but for once it was nice to see one not go the yankees way.
    Newch91 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

Horrible call.

That being said I don't support instance replay. I can't stand it in football and baseball will screw it up even more. I remember in football it was only suppose to take 90 seconds...that obviously didn't work. I can live with bad calls...including a missed call at first base that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    pureoc wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    pureoc wrote:

1-nothing; 3-nothing; what's the difference?

Big difference, especially with the poor play of the Tigers pen. Knowing that two have to get on before the tying run is at the plate is a much bigger advantage than being up 1-0.

I know.....was just pointing out the futility of the yankees "offense"
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I'm all for instant replay in MLB. It can work and I think they will find a way to make it work. I was watching Mike and Mike and I think it was John SMoltz they had onair this morning and he put it quite well. Everyone in the World can see the replay except for the 6 guys on the field who are actually making the call.
    the names on the jerseys make for a nice trip down memory lane :mrgreen:

http://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2012 ... basebrawl/

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Re: Replay

Why don't they just have a 'replay official' sitting in New York or wherever and the official gets ahold of them and they make the call. No need to have all 6 guys leave the field and come back on.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

Why don't they just have a 'replay official' sitting in New York or wherever and the official gets ahold of them and they make the call. No need to have all 6 guys leave the field and come back on.

because that would make sense...and bud tries to evade logic at all costs
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    norm wrote:

because that would make sense...and bud tries to evade logic at all costs
    I think the NFL needs to do this too. The NHL is the only one that has this right.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the nhl is the only one that uses league office for video review

technology is so advanced now that replays really shouldn't take much time...in the case of the yankee game, a replay official could've seen the replay and buzzed the ump before the next pitch and called an out
    I think if your going to use replay the on field umps/refs need to make the call. It works in hockey so effectively because they only use it to determine goals...so far they have not expanded to include offsides, too many men on the ice, etc...and hopefully they never will...and I believe in hockey the referee still determines if their will be a review.

norm wrote:

technology is so advanced now that replays really shouldn't take much time...in the case of the yankee game, a replay official could've seen the replay and buzzed the ump before the next pitch and called an out

we have video refs here for the NRL and its bullshit. referees more often than not automatically go upstairs and dont seem to have the balls to give a call. we have 4 officials on the field.. surely between them they can have it covered... apparently not. i long for the days when the game was decided on human error, as well as human talent. to me sometimes technology sux.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    norm wrote:

we have video refs here for the NRL and its bullshit. referees more often than not automatically go upstairs and dont seem to have the balls to give a call. we have 4 officials on the field.. surely between them they can have it covered... apparently not. i long for the days when the game was decided on human error, as well as human talent. to me sometimes technology sux.

I'm with you on that, the games are played by humans and should be refereed by humans and decided by humans. Do they make mistakes yes...learn to live with the mistakes. At least the NHL its only questionable goals /no goals that are reviewed and sometimes even the review can't determine if it was goal/no goal.

lukin2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I'm with you on that, the games are played by humans and should be refereed by humans and decided by humans. Do they make mistakes yes...learn to live with the mistakes. At least the NHL its only questionable goals /no goals that are reviewed and sometimes even the review can't determine if it was goal/no goal.

they call tries theyre certain are tries(touchdown for all you americans) that arent tries without benefit of involving the video ref .. so i dont see the difference with not callling a try that may well have been a try. it all evens out in the end.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Let's go Yankees!
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    No A-Rod and no Swisher :corn:
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,064
    Go Tigers!!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    No A-Rod and no Swisher :corn:

and I no give a shit ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    TV...they just spent a minute talking about arod and showing him spitting sunflowers seeds out...who cares about him.

The TV announcers ask a very good question...why is Jack Morris not in the Hall Of Fame? Anyone ever heard why? That's an injustice...IMO

lukin2006 wrote:
    TV...they just spent a minute talking about arod and showing him spitting sunflowers seeds out...who cares about him.

and I think smoltz just said exasperated when he meant exacerbated :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    lukin2006 wrote:
    The TV announcers ask a very good question...why is Jack Morris not in the Hall Of Fame? Anyone ever heard why? That's an injustice...IMO

ERA too high

wins too low

one classic warrior game doesn't get you in the hall.

should he be in? probably.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited October 2012
    imalive wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

ERA too high

wins too low

one classic warrior game doesn't get you in the hall.

should he be in? probably.

Most wins by any pitcher in the 80's.
    254 wins, sub 4.00 ERA...I grew up watching him, he had way more warrior games than 1...he deserves to be in he hall...IMO. But it all subjective anyways.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    Who would've thought that Delmon Young would be the CAREER playoff HR leader, for the Tigers?

That was a LINE-DRIVE HR!
    cutz wrote:
    Who would've thought that Delmon Young would be the CAREER playoff HR leader, for the Tigers?

They haven't been to the postseason that often.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    lukin2006 wrote:
    cutz wrote:

They haven't been to the postseason that often.

Exactly.