MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I still can't believe that an exhibition game in the middle of the season determines home field advantage for the world series. Selig is an Ass Hat
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I still can't believe that an exhibition game in the middle of the season determines home field advantage for the world series. Selig is an Ass Hat

And one team is managed by a person retired from baseball. :fp:
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    I hope Cain gets bombed tonight and makes La Russa even more of a dumbass

I can't stand TLR but I pray the curse of the All Star Game doesn't get Cain. against THIS lineup, I'd just as soon there wasn't a Giant on the mound :shifty:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    George Brett just gave the worst pregame speech to the AL all stars ever. :fp:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I really dig the stadium. I have been dying to get to KC after I read a while back that it was major leaguers favorite city. They said it has great food and is laid back and you can do whatever without being harassed.

Good bbq, good steaks, good music, what looks like a cool stadium. I gotta get there. Sounds like an underrated city.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I really dig the stadium. I have been dying to get to KC after I read a while back that it was major leaguers favorite city. They said it has great food and is laid back and you can do whatever without being harassed.

Good bbq, good steaks, good music, what looks like a cool stadium. I gotta get there. Sounds like an underrated city.
    I've been wanting to go there since I was a kid. would be the perfect storm if the boys have a show near KC next summer while the Royals are on a home stand.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I've been wanting to go there since I was a kid. would be the perfect storm if the boys have a show near KC next summer while the Royals are on a home stand.

For sure, that would be sweet. I'd be all over that. I didn't know much about it until I read that article on baseball players and how much they liked it, looked into it a bit and was surprised.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely wanna get to KC. Stadium looks great especially with all the renovations they have done the past few years. Living in the midwest, I need to get there soon. A friend of mine has been to every stadium and KC is one of his favorites.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely wanna get to KC. Stadium looks great especially with all the renovations they have done the past few years. Living in the midwest, I need to get there soon. A friend of mine has been to every stadium and KC is one of his favorites.

That's sweet. Yeah, they have done great things with it, it looks like. That scoreboard in center is pretty sweet with the screen.
    Verlander must have tied one on last night :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Harper :lol::lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    anyone else think kinsler let chipper's little dribbler get by on purpose? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    how bummed did KC fans have to be to see melky win MVP and then realize they traded him for...jonathan sanchez ? :?

yeah, the j. sanchez who just won jayson stark's first half Cy Yuk:

"Sanchez could probably win this award based on his 1.99 WHIP alone. Or for his attractive 40-to-32 walks-to-strikeouts ratio. Or for averaging under 4 2/3 innings a start. Or for finding himself on a pace to join just Steve Blass and Oliver Perez as the only starting pitchers in the division-play era to have a walk rate this ugly (7.8 per 9 IP) AND allow more than 10 hits per nine innings in the same season (minimum: 46 innings). But when you add in the body language of a guy who acts as if he'd rather be in Kampala than Kansas City, and then remember that to get this man, the Royals had to trade a fellow (Melky Cabrera) who's about to start the All-Star Game, what we have here is (what else?) a runaway winner of the Cy Yuk balloting."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    LloydXmas wrote:

This really might be the dumbest thing in all of sports. Just amazing how ludicrous it is.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    LloydXmas wrote:

This really might be the dumbest thing in all of sports. Just amazing how ludicrous it is.

no arguing that bud is a dipshit.......but alternating home field by years made no sense either.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    what.a.fucking.moron.

Kansas City, Mo. -- Thirty-nine months after Commissioner Bud Selig formed a three-person committee to analyze the A's stadium issue, he said Tuesday, "The main hang-up is, we don't have the answers."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DS1119 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

And one team is managed by a person retired from baseball. :fp:

I don't see the big deal. I think it's a great way to honor someone that managed at the highest level all the way up through his last season. In a sport so big on tradition, I think it fits whether home field is on the line or not. And I don't think home field being decided this way is the worst thing. I think it should be decided by the standings, but I just don't think it's a big issue. I don't seeing anybody out there overwhelmingly halfassing it. I haven't heard many, if any players complaining about it. Is home field is a big advantage in baseball in a 7 game series? The hottest team is gonna win come playoff time.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Is home field is a big advantage in baseball in a 7 game series? The hottest team is gonna win come playoff time.

it's big. I can't find the stats, but I'm thinking over the last 30 years about 2/3 of the winners have had the home field.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

no arguing that bud is a dipshit.......but alternating home field by years made no sense either.

yeah i never got why they did it that way...do like the nba and nhl...best reg season record
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    imalive wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Is home field is a big advantage in baseball in a 7 game series? The hottest team is gonna win come playoff time.

it's big. I can't find the stats, but I'm thinking over the last 30 years about 2/3 of the winners have had the home field.

There have been 84 World Series played since 1924 using the 2-3-2 format in which the team with home-field advantage hosts the first two and last two games, and the home team has won 48 times, or 57%. (Excluded are years in which the travel format was altered because of war and 1994, when there was no World Series because of a strike.) From 1951 to 1980, the team without home-field advantage won 20 of the 30 Series, while 22 of the last 29 winners have been the team with home-field advantage.

"Baseball in general has the lowest home-field advantage of all sports," said Tobias Moskowitz, coauthor of "Scorecasting" and a professor at the University of Chicago. "We don't find that there is any difference in the postseason versus the regular season, once you adjust for the quality of teams."
    ^^^^ the 22 of 29 was what I was remembering.

you would think baseball WOULD have a great home field advantage, since it is the ONLY sport without a standardized field/court/pitch/rink/etc :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    imalive wrote:

you would think baseball WOULD have a great home field advantage, since it is the ONLY sport without a standardized field/court/pitch/rink/etc :?

Baseball is such a game of luck or small nuances that it makes sense. Two teams in the WS are probably going to be even matched, or be usually just as hot. Teams in the WS are less about being superior and more about getting lucky, and those little differences in a game win you a championship. A pitcher park will make any pitcher look good and a hitter's park will make any hitter look good - it makes sense that it's pretty equal.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    imalive wrote:

Didn't think about that really, but I've always looked at home field advantage as a crowd momentum thing. Sounds like something they'd cover on Sports Science.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    DewieCox wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Didn't think about that really, but I've always looked at home field advantage as a crowd momentum thing. Sounds like something they'd cover on Sports Science.

I've always looked at home-field advantage in baseball as being primarily about who bats last. Unlike basketball where the crowd is right on top of you, I don't think the crowd noise means as much in baseball. And even if it does, it seems easier to for an away team to suck the life out of a home crowd in baseball than it does in basketball.

As for the All-Star game winner getting home-field in the World Series, I actually like it. People sometimes forget that before 2002, the AL and NL rotated home-field in the WS...it didn't matter who had the better record. I always thought that was dumb as hell. So since the record of the pennant champs has always been irrelevant, I like the All-Star game determining home-field.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    LloydXmas wrote:

I would say ending a hockey game/soccer match with a skills competition is stupider.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    As a fan of the team that dropped the last two, why can't home field just be based on record and be done with it??

And with expanded inter league play next year that makes even more sense.

Best team gets home field - end of story.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    As a fan of the team that dropped the last two, why can't home field just be based on record and be done with it??

It makes too much sense for Selig.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Ken Singleton has a suggestion for the WS:

How about the results of interleague play up to the All Star Break determining which league has home field in World Series?
    Newch91 wrote:
    Ken Singleton has a suggestion for the WS:

How about the results of interleague play up to the All Star Break determining which league has home field in World Series?

That's actually how home field would be determined in the WS if the all star game was rained out. Heard that on the radio just today.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

It makes too much sense for Selig.
    you're right. Best Record should get fucking home field. So stupid that this started from an All star game that went 10 plus innings and the players didn't want to play.

A team that won 103 games deserves home field more than a team who won let's say 85-90. If they won the same amount of games, then the inter league series winner gets home field advantage.