MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    i agree but i still want to see moneyball :)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sabe ... rts-092211

I think this is nonsense. Baseball was built on stats and have been part of the game since the beginning. I am not a full blown stats guy like some people in the Phillies thread think, I just don't get the problem with the evolution of stats. Just because people think about things differently than people did 85 years ago, doesn't make them wrong or bad. Of course they are not everything, but players have been judged on stats for over 100 years, I just don't see the problem with thinking about things a little differently.

I like Whitlock for the most part but think this is garbage. Are real sports journalists ending their columns with STFU? I think that is a bigger travesty to sports than the evolution of stats.

A lot of the problems I see with sabrites is that they cherry pick stats to make guys they don't like look like bad players. Also, there's some new stat every day, and some stats are clearly subjective and even have multiple versions - i.e. UZR, WAR, xFIP, etc.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    i agree but i still want to see moneyball :)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sabe ... rts-092211

I think this is nonsense. Baseball was built on stats and have been part of the game since the beginning. I am not a full blown stats guy like some people in the Phillies thread think, I just don't get the problem with the evolution of stats. Just because people think about things differently than people did 85 years ago, doesn't make them wrong or bad. Of course they are not everything, but players have been judged on stats for over 100 years, I just don't see the problem with thinking about things a little differently.

I like Whitlock for the most part but think this is garbage. Are real sports journalists ending their columns with STFU? I think that is a bigger travesty to sports than the evolution of stats.

A lot of the problems I see with sabrites is that they cherry pick stats to make guys they don't like look like bad players. Also, there's some new stat every day, and some stats are clearly subjective and even have multiple versions - i.e. UZR, WAR, xFIP, etc.

I hear you. I have had a tough time getting into a lot of pitchers stats, I think ERA, adusted ERA and WHIP are just fine, you can tell enough about a picther from them i think. Offensively I like WAR to an extent but look at it over a longer period of time, OPS, OPS+, and the triple slash line, I think that tells you everything.

This is great

http://deadspin.com/5842987/statistics- ... g-baseball
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    i'm sure teams will be lining up.... :roll:

Manny Ramirez seeks reinstatement

ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez, upon learning he will not be able to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic because he's on MLB's inactive list, told ESPNdeportes.com Thursday that he will formally request reinstatement.

Ramirez said that upon reentry, he would serve his 100-game suspension for a second violation of MLB's drug policy.

"I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas via telephone from Miami. "I already informed (agent) Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process.

"If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement."

Ramirez cannot serve his suspension until he signs with a major league club.

Ramirez, who retired in April from the Tampa Bay Rays rather than serve the 100-game ban, told his former Dominican Republic winter league team, the Cibao Eagles, that he wanted play again in the league.

Ramirez, who was born in the Dominican capital city of Santo Domingo and grew up in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood, last played in the Dominican winter league during the 1993-94 season with the Eagles.

Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations, confirmed Thursday that Ramirez would not be able to play in the Dominican because he's on the inactive list and must first receive permission from commissioner Bud Selig's office.

"Manny Ramirez cannot play for a major or minor league club or any affiliated organization, including a winter league team, without getting the consent of the commissioner,'' Manfred said.

Ramirez, a 12-time All-Star, previously served a 50-game ban in 2009 with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Second-time offenders get double that penalty.

"I'm really interested and enthusiastic about playing baseball [in the Dominican Republic], but I can't control the future,'' Ramirez said via phone Wednesday, adding that he's been training in a batting cage in Miami. "Let's just wait and see what's the outcome of that meeting; it would be really sad if I'm not allowed to play.''

Ramirez retired from the majors with 555 home runs, 1,831 RBIs and a .312 career batting average. But his multiple performance-enhancing drug offenses have cast a major cloud over his Hall of Fame aspirations.

He also is facing criminal prosecution in Florida on charges that he slapped his wife during a recent argument. He told investigators only that he grabbed his wife by the shoulders during an argument and "shrugged" her, causing her to hit her head on the headboard of their bed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • This is pretty funny.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Go Orioles and Go Rays!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    The Fixer wrote:
    Go Orioles and Go Rays!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes! Hoping Tampa beats the Yankees and the Orioles beat Boston.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i take no responsibility for the number of total zeros that frequent chavez ravine

having said that...

good for her ;):mrgreen:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i take no responsibility for the number of total zeros that frequent chavez ravine

having said that...

good for her ;):mrgreen:

haha. Guess they have to do something for amusement there, the baseball team surely isn't providing it.

And how about Selig dropping the hammer? Will never happen but should scare away investors.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    steve bartman 30 for 30 tomorrow night. should be good. i thought espn was done with these.

as bad as that network has gotten over the last decade, these shows are about as good as anything they've ever done.
    www.myspace.com
    steve bartman 30 for 30 tomorrow night. should be good. i thought espn was done with these.

as bad as that network has gotten over the last decade, these shows are about as good as anything they've ever done.

I thought this was old. I saw a documentary on it a few months ago...don't remember if it was espn (I thought it was).

I hope the cubs never win the WS...bartman is the only cub fan I will ever feel bad for. poor guy
    The Fixer wrote:

I thought this was old. I saw a documentary on it a few months ago...don't remember if it was espn (I thought it was).

I hope the cubs never win the WS...bartman is the only cub fan I will ever feel bad for. poor guy

maybe it is old...new to me though. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    Speaking of the Cubs, Fixer, were we the ones talking about Cashman leaving for the Cubs a little while ago? Both the Yankees and Cashman said they want him to be the GM of the team in the future. Cashman essentially said he has by far the best job in baseball. He's not going anywhere.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Speaking of the Cubs, Fixer, were we the ones talking about Cashman leaving for the Cubs a little while ago? Both the Yankees and Cashman said they want him to be the GM of the team in the future. Cashman essentially said he has by far the best job in baseball. He's not going anywhere.

Yep. Olney wrote an article about possible cubs GM candidates. cubs are rumored to be going after cashman and/or theo. they want a big name. apparently gillick is a sleeper

pretty cush gig. big budget, crap division, and you get to live in chicago. I'd take it
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yep. Olney wrote an article about possible cubs GM candidates. cubs are rumored to be going after cashman and/or theo. they want a big name. apparently gillick is a sleeper

pretty cush gig. big budget, crap division, and you get to live in chicago. I'd take it

I would be a lot less suprised at Theo after all the shit he's getting over the past few weeks.
  • I love how GM's get shit, yet they're not the ones playing the game.
    This shit is really getting good.

Boston's collective ass hole is tighter than a drum. Love it
  • The Fixer wrote:

Tied. :o I want to see a playoff on Thursday.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

I hope the yanks throw ron guidry and whitey ford in the next two games just to screw the sox.
  • The Fixer wrote:

at least lackey will be ready :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Ozzie traded to the Marlins. Ha. NL East is going to be a good time coming up. Maybe it'll make up for that shitty new logo.
    Crazy night. This shit is coming down to the wire.

And what makes it evern crazier, Ozzie is about to be traded to the Marlins.
    Ozzie traded to the Marlins. Ha. NL East is going to be a good time coming up. Maybe it'll make up for that shitty new logo.

Beat me to it. Jesus.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ozzie traded to the Marlins. Ha. NL East is going to be a good time coming up. Maybe it'll make up for that shitty new logo.

Beat me to it. Jesus.

they have to get people to their new stadium somehow I guess.

if they sign kenny powers next i will be really excited
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Beat me to it. Jesus.

they have to get people to their new stadium somehow I guess.

if they sign kenny powers next i will be really excited

I was reading that there might be a chance they go after a big name - like Pujols big.

It's funny, a buddy of mine has a new job where he has to go down to Ft. Lauderdale for work regularly, and he had nothing to do and wanted to see if anybody in the office wanted to hit up a Marlins game. Every single one of them turned to him and said, "Marlins game? Why the hell would I do that? I'm not going there." So, yeah, they need to do something.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I would be a lot less suprised at Theo after all the shit he's getting over the past few weeks.

i would be shocked if either of these guys end up on chicago....i wouldn't be suprised if either of these guys got a big fat raise from their current team

as for cush gig? are you kidding me. there is a 103 years of pressure on that gm. that pressure has crushed a shit ton of people...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    as for cush gig? are you kidding me. there is a 103 years of pressure on that gm. that pressure has crushed a shit ton of people...

like who? jim hendry?? that dude has always sucked

someone takes that job and the only way to go is up. pressure jobs are in boston, ny, and philly...not the cubs. there are no expectations for the cubs...it's a rebuilding job with a huge budget

the cubs GM job is one of the best in baseball
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

like who? jim hendry?? that dude has always sucked

someone takes that job and the only way to go is up. pressure jobs are in boston, ny, and philly...not the cubs. there are no expectations for the cubs...it's a rebuilding job with a huge budget

the cubs GM job is one of the best in baseball

:lol:

it could be a great job....

it's big market, deep pocketbooked and if you win...you will be celebrated for life....

but to say it's not a pressure job....sorry, but i will kindly disagree. 103 years is pressure. everyone from teh fans, to the media (print, tv, radio) to the players, coachs, manager, gm, owner talk about it. some players have admited it fucked with them on the field.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    does anyone want these last playoff spots? jeez...
    www.myspace.com
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I had no idea that you could "trade" managers, if that is indeed what happened.