Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    Thought was pretty kool to hear this:

This is a long listen but this rare Ty Cobb interview from the 1930’s is well worth your time

https://x.com/nut_history/status/1807209237808091441?t=8tiVNdDZAD6lh1FFsX2vOw&s=03
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,131
    cutz said:
    Thought was pretty kool to hear this:

This is a long listen but this rare Ty Cobb interview from the 1930’s is well worth your time

https://x.com/nut_history/status/1807209237808091441?t=8tiVNdDZAD6lh1FFsX2vOw&s=03
    TY for this.  I never knew this existed. I knew he loved Lajoie as a player and Jackson but never knew he revered Ruth. That was pretty cool to hear.

I did read that ty Cobb didnt care for Ruth and the HR.  He decided to prove a point and hit like 6 HR in 2 days to show everyone he could if he wanted to.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

:lol: was gonna post this earlier
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    30 for 30…once upon a time in queens…so good…kinda tragic, too, especially Doc.

I think I saw it before (maybe not all for parts) but I just watched it again. even a met hater like the juggler might appreciate it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

I think I saw it before (maybe not all for parts) but I just watched it again. even a met hater like the juggler might appreciate it.
    You talk about a team that had all this potential.  If you watch early footage of Gooden in his first couple of years he had demon speed and wicked movement.

Strawberry would eat high and inside pitches.

Mitchell, McReynolds, Sid, Darling, Orosco, Mookie, Carter, Hojo, Knight.  I know i'm forgetting some.  I lived here and got to watch them play and they were good.  

1986 playoffs vs the astros I watched one of the greatest pitchers for a brief time in Mike Scott.  He lacerated pitches.  Come to find out he was cheating but still.  Dude threw a pitch that went like an S.  It was Carter I think backed out of the box yelling to the ump.  Man what a series.

Oh yeah and Nolar Ryan got shelled. I remember being upset about that because I loved Nolan Ryan.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    edited July 10
    Wobbie said:

You talk about a team that had all this potential.  If you watch early footage of Gooden in his first couple of years he had demon speed and wicked movement.

Mitchell, McReynolds, Sid, Darling, Orosco, Mookie, Carter, Hojo, Knight.  I know i'm forgetting some.  I lived here and got to watch them play and they were good.  

1986 playoffs vs the astros I watched one of the greatest pitchers for a brief time in Mike Scott.  He lacerated pitches.  Come to find out he was cheating but still.  Dude threw a pitch that went like an S.  It was Carter I think backed out of the box yelling to the ump.  Man what a series.

Oh yeah and Nolar Ryan got shelled. I remember being upset about that because I loved Nolan Ryan.

But still? Scott was an average pitcher for the entirety of his twenties and all of a sudden at 30 yo develops a pitch with sharpness and movement not before seen in the color tv era? He singlehanded almost brought his team to the World Series with his one pitch he discovered at 30 yo?

imagine that, an astro cheating. Seemed obvious at the time, but…baseball.

edit, his turnaround and rise brings to mind Mo…but never. Never.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    Wobbie said:

Mitchell was traded for McReynolds. Cashew didn’t want a “bad influence” on Doc and Straw. Mitchell didn’t smoke or drink. Dykstta said McReynolds could have been a good player but he “didn’t like baseball.” Personally was a terrible fit, too.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

This is the first time I read about Mike Scott. What is he accused of exactly doing?
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

This is the first time I read about Mike Scott. What is he accused of exactly doing?

scuffing the ball. he definitely did it. some of the 1986 Mets still have balls from the NLCS. "scuffed" might not even be the word. "gouged" might be more accurate.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    Wobbie said:

scuffing the ball. he definitely did it. some of the 1986 Mets still have balls from the NLCS. "scuffed" might not even be the word. "gouged" might be more accurate.
    He admitted to it and all. Funny how umpires just refused to enforce the rules.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Mitchell was traded for McReynolds. Cashew didn’t want a “bad influence” on Doc and Straw. Mitchell didn’t smoke or drink. Dykstta said McReynolds could have been a good player but he “didn’t like baseball.” Personally was a terrible fit, too.
    Thats right, McDowell not McReynolds!  I forgot about Nails too, whoops!
    Wobbie said:

But still? Scott was an average pitcher for the entirety of his twenties and all of a sudden at 30 yo develops a pitch with sharpness and movement not before seen in the color tv era? He singlehanded almost brought his team to the World Series with his one pitch he discovered at 30 yo?

imagine that, an astro cheating. Seemed obvious at the time, but…baseball.

edit, his turnaround and rise brings to mind Mo…but never. Never.

A pitcher scuffing the ball doesn't move the needle for me.  I'll allow that.  That was still one of the greatest pitching performances that I saw.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,427
    Skenes is the real deal.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    … til his first Tommy John.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    … til his first Tommy John.
    Seems to be the trend these days. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    his gf ain't so bad either
    pjhawks said:
    She is absolutely the real deal.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,110
    pjhawks said:
    Word
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    pjhawks said:
    too high maintenance.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Blake Snell -winless is 8 starts and twice on the Il into the AS break…last two starts have been great…fucker’s gonna win 5-6 games in the second half, take his $31M and opt out. :angry:

fuck Scott Boras and fuck the opt out clause.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    Wobbie said:
    Blake Snell -winless is 8 starts and twice on the Il into the AS break…last two starts have been great…fucker’s gonna win 5-6 games in the second half, take his $31M and opt out. :angry:

You guys will be lucky if he opts out. Did he manage to pitch 7 innings today?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Wobbie said:

You guys will be lucky if he opts out. Did he manage to pitch 7 innings today?
    He did. One hit, no walks. One hit in his last outing, too.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Travis Bazzana gets the first pick in the draft.  The one im interested in is the KC pick in Jac Cagliaone.  2 way player Ohtani style.  The experiment of two way players hasn't produced any results yet so I am eagerly waiting for the next one!
    Anyone watch the HR derby?  I liked this years format.  Polar Bear looked pretty bad.  He LOOOOVES this event too.
    Anyone watch the HR derby?  I liked this years format.  Polar Bear looked pretty bad.  He LOOOOVES this event too.
    I thought his pitcher didn't help him. He was all over the place with his throws.
    So, the young lady performed The National Anthem, then woke up today and checked herself into rehab.

Geez
    Do I need to adjust my picture or are these uni’s really this ugly?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yes, they are butt ugly.