Updated! question on male kittens

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
update: adopted (neutered) tiger kitten on 12/23/10, posted about it 1/2/11 in this thread :D

original post:
Whenever I had kittens, they were female. My last cat that I had was a teen when I found him and had him neutered right away since vet estimated his age to be 9 months old. Now I have the opportunity to get 2 brother kittens that are about 10 weeks old. I have to keep my pets indoors as I am afraid to let them out due to being hit by a maniac flying down my street or they'll be eaten by my friendly neighborhood fox.

Have you had a problem with male kittens marking their territory? I called my ex vet and they said that 6 mos old is the youngest they will neuter. She said the humane society will do it at a younger age but that they can have urinary tract problems later. (my cat always did and he was on special food for his pH, not sure why he had problems.)

so do they really spray every where? I had a Persian that I never got neutered and he sprayed in our closet. Not sure how old he was, maybe 2 as he sadly died by the age of 4.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Those little bastards will almost certainly piss all over everything in sight!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

urinating is different that "spraying" I thought. as for being bastards, they can't help they don't know who their dad is :) Their mommy was rescued by a nice guy who has a bunch of horses.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    iluvcats wrote:

urinating is different that "spraying" I thought. as for being bastards, they can't help they don't know who their dad is :) Their mommy was rescued by a nice guy who has a bunch of horses.
    Perhaps I'm wrong as far as that the urinating and spraying thing, but they will almost certainly spray...whatever that entails. My mom always had cats when I was a kid.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    once you're born a dude everyone wants to cut on your stuff.
    what the hell gives?

the poor kittens aren't even 6 month old
    and someone
    somewhere
    wants to chop on their deal...

unbelievable...

same as a human dude..
    you're born
    and out come the rusty blunt tools.

what the fuck gives???? :cry:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    Give them your good home and by all means , clip when yopur vet suggests is appropriate. They WILL mark their spot(s) whenever and where ever possible.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I believe in waiting the full 6 mos to get them fixed. That's why I'm asking about the spraying.

At least I don't get my cats declawed.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:

Perhaps I'm wrong as far as that the urinating and spraying thing, but they will almost certainly spray...whatever that entails. My mom always had cats when I was a kid.

alot of times if a cat urinates outside of or next to the litter box, it is a sign of illness (like when they are trained to know better!)

I went for a walk and I saw this enormous cat spraying on a deserted home's bush. P-ugh! P-ewww? not sure how to spell it.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    I believe in waiting the full 6 mos to get them fixed. That's why I'm asking about the spraying.

At least I don't get my cats declawed.
    this one time i had my cat defurred
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG-Kv9mY410
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8Sm6IvwgA

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Give them your good home and by all means , clip when yopur vet suggests is appropriate. They WILL mark their spot(s) whenever and where ever possible.

they will mark their spot when they are little?

I heard a 6 month old cat is equal to a 13 year old human, that's what my vet said when my cat was really old and she said he was equal to a 97 year old human...

I saw a flyer in starbucks with many older cats in need of a home. I would love to have a petting zoo!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Male cats who have been fixed will typically not spray things unless the snipping took place after they had already started that sort of behaviour. I've had several male cats and it was never an issue. Also, those that do it, usually do it where they smell strange cats, or other animals, so usually outside.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    iluvcats wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I heard a 6 month old cat is equal to a 13 year old human, that's what my vet said when my cat was really old and she said he was equal to a 97 year old human...

I saw a flyer in starbucks with many older cats in need of a home. I would love to have a petting zoo!
    are those u.s. teenagers or are they Scotish teens?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    We've had young male kittens, and they didn't spray. I don't remember when we got them neutered but it was when they were less than a year, and we didn't have a problem with spraying. We have one older cat who 'pretend sprays' like he does the motion with his tail but nothing gets actually sprayed, and one psycho kitty who does pee where he shouldn't, occasionally, but he had a hard life before we took him in, and he's not quite 'all there' mentally.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Yay!!! You can live up to your name again (j/K--I KNOW you luv them--just have not had them lately).

Good luck. My male cat was neutered and never sprayed before or after ( I don't think) long time ago tho.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Can foxes eat cats, or is it the other way round?

Growing up, our family cat used to pounce on and pin the neighbors toy Collie.. I can't imagine a fox being bigger.. that dog was scared shitless.
  • hinxhinx Posts: 416
    I adopted two male cats (brothers too!) and have never had a spraying problem. They were about 4 or 5 months old when I got them from the shelter and didn't get them neutered for about 3 months after that and they were fine. Immediately went to the litterbox.
  • theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    cats can be spayed and neutered at 2 pounds.
    cats can be spayed and neutered at 2 pounds.

I was told that they can have urinary problems too.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Lizard wrote:
    Yay!!! You can live up to your name again (j/K--I KNOW you luv them--just have not had them lately).

Good luck. My male cat was neutered and never sprayed before or after ( I don't think) long time ago tho.

Yeah :) How odd that I am iluvcats w/o any pets?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Well, let's just say my dad left his dentures on the kitchen table, and they never tasted right again. Hell, I'm surprised the cat didn't attempt to live in his mouth after that.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    iluvcats wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Sorry , I wasn't as clear as I might have been!! Meant if not done , and they start when "things have dropped" , particularly with two males and brothers at that!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    I'm back from Cleveland -- amazing concert!

Every one of my cats throughout the years has had at least one bad habit, although I don't remember the male cats spraying after being neutered. I've just put up with the bad habits because their good traits outweighed the bad habits. I think you should go for the two brothers because every male cat that I've ever had has been sweet & affectionate -- more so than the female cats.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
    Catwoman1 wrote:
    I'm back from Cleveland -- amazing concert!

Every one of my cats throughout the years has had at least one bad habit, although I don't remember the male cats spraying after being neutered. I've just put up with the bad habits because their good traits outweighed the bad habits. I think you should go for the two brothers because every male cat that I've ever had has been sweet & affectionate -- more so than the female cats.

do you have a floating sensation after seeing PJ, Catwoman1? :)

I'm worried the two little buggers will try to outdo each other in about a month as they start to mature. I've heard their sister is a little wild kitty!

my boy kitties that passed away were sweet! I had 1 meanie.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    iluvcats wrote:
    Whenever I had kittens, they were female. My last cat that I had was a teen when I found him and had him neutered right away since vet estimated his age to be 9 months old. Now I have the opportunity to get 2 brother kittens that are about 10 weeks old. I have to keep my pets indoors as I am afraid to let them out due to being hit by a maniac flying down my street or they'll be eaten by my friendly neighborhood fox.

Have you had a problem with male kittens marking their territory? I called my ex vet and they said that 6 mos old is the youngest they will neuter. She said the humane society will do it at a younger age but that they can have urinary tract problems later. (my cat always did and he was on special food for his pH, not sure why he had problems.)

so do they really spray every where? I had a Persian that I never got neutered and he sprayed in our closet. Not sure how old he was, maybe 2 as he sadly died by the age of 4.
    I'm not going to read the rest of the replies sorry, feeling lazy...

I worked at a Vets for a while and it depends on the Vet themselves, and what they feel comfortable doing...

Male cats CAN be "fixed" earlier than 6 months, as their "bits" are on the outside and pose less of a risk than a female sterilisation. Female cats shouldnt be sterilised before 6 months as they have major blood vessels around/near their ovaries and can bleed out and die if it's not done with precision.

I've had male cats fixed from about 3 months, but that was through an animal shelter and I think they are quite full on with getting it done sooner than later.

If you get the male fixed later than 9 months it will be more likely to spray and mark territory...also, once they start spraying, even if you get them fixed up you still have a 20% chance of them continuing to spray. I had my male done at about 9 months and he continued for about 3 months, but now he will only spray if he feels threatened by the big ass tom cat from across the road.
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    iluvcats wrote:
    do you have a floating sensation after seeing PJ, Catwoman1? :)

YES!!!! Took me until today to get back down to earth!!! I'm glad you're seeing them in Bristow.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    I have two female cats who are very sweet. No problems with them :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I've adopted and cared for a lot of cats during my life - all of them strays and rejects. I've only had two that sprayed so they became garage/outside cats. One was male and one was female. I got both when they were small kittens - neutered and spayed at less than one year. Don't know what caused it, but they continued to spray even outside. I still see the female (now 16 years old) back up to a car tire and let her go.

I am fostering an adult (vet guesses 6 years old) male cat with FIV. He was an outside cat and unneutered when I found him sick and dying. I nursed him back to health and had him neutered. The vet warned me that he might want to spray. I've had no problems with him. He diligently uses the litter box and has turned out to be a great cat.

I think it just depends on certain factors, but I have no idea what those are.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Normally, they shouldn't as long as the kitten has been neutered early enough. If other male cats come in the house, yours might feel the need to mark his territory - again, depends on the cat. I've had cats all my life and up to know, I've had problems with only one male. He was neutered 'on time' but it would seem he's just 'one of those'. All my cats go out and this male just needs to show who's boss in garden and, unfortunately, sometimes in the house. If he does spray, it will be by the external doors. It's not a regular occurence, but it's a pain in the butt. One consolation, their 'spray' doesn't smell as bad as a non neutered cat. None of these problems with my other male (I have 2 males and 3 females). I think this one is not quite 'all there'! :mrgreen: But he's so sweet!
    calling up my old post to say that I adopted a sweet little boy kitty, 12/23/10. since he came from Petsmart, he was already neutered when he got there. his paperwork said he was 4 months. I guessed 9 wks :( He was saved from a high kill shelter. He was very skinny with long legs.

Earlier when I posted this, I said that when I was thinking about adopting some kittens, my vet said they only will neuter at 6 months (the earliest.) Well, I took my new guy to the same vet's practice (they have like 5) and she said he had "entirely too much work done to him for such a young age." I can't help that!

He's such a sweet baby! A little tiger.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    are you that crazy cat lady up the road?

we have a boy cat and he is fixed. i forget how old he was when we did it. had him declawed up front at the same time.

he peed on the water bed we used to have once, but never any place else. actually, i think it was twice on the bed. told him if he did it again, he was in deep shit. he's been good ever since.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    chadwick wrote:
    once you're born a dude everyone wants to cut on your stuff.
    what the hell gives?

the poor kittens aren't even 6 month old
    and someone
    somewhere
    wants to chop on their deal...

unbelievable...

same as a human dude..
    you're born
    and out come the rusty blunt tools.

what the fuck gives???? :cry:

hahahahahha. Poor babies!

I have a male cat (have had females my whole life, this is my first male) and I have had absolutely zero problems with spraying - or pissing- on anything. After reading all these posts maybe I just got lucky? I don't know. My cat is an orange striped 3 year old male, lots of personality, fixed about 6 months after birth, and I have not had any problems. Very well behaved, I've just found the male to be a bit louder and larger than any of my previous female cats! Good luck!