Bringing Daughter to her First Show

2»

Comments

• AnarmyofpeaceAnarmyofpeace Posts: 254
    Good god, I hope you're not sitting next to me...
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    You guys all missed the big bad boat.

First off, the couple said they ARE bringing their daughter & then sought advice & tips from other parents who have done the same. They weren't LOOKING for advice on WHETHER to bring her.

There are ALOT worse environments than a Pearl Jam concert--including their own homes--that kids are subjected to--sometimes daily. Howver, we usually don't see this, nor are we asked for opinions on it.

I've been to plenty of concerts/music events where very young kids attend that don't seem to mind a bit. They might not all be particulary enjoying it, but I don't remember seeing any of them in distress. Contrarily, I see kids freak out alot more when they are forced to sit, kneel, stand, sit, stand, kneel, stand, sit, and stand ALL VERY VERY QUIETLY in church.

And if the parents are dancers, then the child will proably enjoy a good romp on the hip (at the concert I mean, not at church).

And so then, my advice is, you probably already know what to take on any outing (plus the ear gear which you've covered) and the "to bring" list should include:

--juice boxes--12 or 13 should do.
    --Diapers with plenty of wipes (no doubt she will mark the ocasion with some diarhea--only kidding all those who just gasped :o ) and a small blanket for changing ease
    --Several light up quiet toys (like those $4 spinny light up orbs sold at Walmart). This will keep her entranced in the darkened envrionment and will also mesmerize & delight the fans behind you.
    --along those lines, its probably best to leave the noisy electronic toys behind
    --Bring some Pearl Jam stickers to give to the fans behind you so that they will hopefully be kind too & perhaps will make googly eyes :wtf: :D :crazy: at your daughter to keep her entertained for a while rather than receiving the judgmental :? you've been receiving here so far.

I'm sure that you will do what is necessary to make the event a pleasant one for you and the child.

When my son was 18 months he was the most pleasant ball of joy, so I'm sure you will make the best of the concert, and have a good one!
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    edited May 2010
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Seriously, 7 months is way too fucking young. How could anyone think otherwise? At 7 Months, that little baby should be sleeping before Band of Horses comes on! I wonder sometimes.

17 months...Don't be starting rumors now!
    Post edited by DangDang on
  • ManUnitedManUnited Posts: 160
    Just make sure she doesn't inhale.
    "Whoever, when he dies, leaves on paper a beautiful line of poetry has left the heavens richer and the earth too.”
    F. PESSOA
  • Actually, my husband and I just lost our second pregnancy last month.

sorry. :cry:
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    The second that baby starts crying you better be hightail it to the concourse or you will hear it from people. Nothing would spoil someones night more than a screaming child next to them. It's bad enough when parents think its ok even in a movie theater.

This whole scenario doesn't even make sense to me. It's not like the child will remember it. Just let hear hear the bootleg.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    DangDang wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Seriously, 7 months is way too fucking young. How could anyone think otherwise? At 7 Months, that little baby should be sleeping before Band of Horses comes on! I wonder sometimes.

Even so, not much of a difference there... sorry I just disagree, a huge room full of screaming people with a noise level of about 100 db, thousands of pot smokers, for 3 1/2 hours is no place for a child. Call me old fashioned, but that is my opinion.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    DangDang wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Even so, not much of a difference there... sorry I just disagree, a huge room full of screaming people with a noise level of about 100 db, thousands of pot smokers, for 3 1/2 hours is no place for a child. Call me old fashioned, but that is my opinion.

Amen!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    This is nuts my daughter when she was 17 months would not want to be held for 30 minutes let alone 2+ hours. Not to include the stuff the baby will inhale not only pot but cigarettes. Please do your child a favor and find a sitter.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
    Honestly, I can't think of one positive reason to bring her.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Any advice from parents/fans out there who have brought there young kids to PJ shows. My wife and I will be bringing our daughter to her first show in Cleveland. She is 17 months old. We have always seen one or two at every show we have been too. So we don't see there being any problems. The venue says kids under 2 are free. And yes, we do have headphones (ear protection) for her. Should be an interesting Mother's Day.

Advice? Yeah, don't do it. She won't remember it, and chances are she won't think it's nearly as "cool" as you do later on to tell people her first show was a Pearl Jam show.
    If you're not the husband/wife of a band member, bringing a baby to the show is really just selfish.

The music is too loud for a baby, it is a jolt to their little systems & the excitement & energy is more than they can process. She'll be reeling for days.
    Not to mention babies at concerts are NOT cool, they are straight up annoying. I understand people have to bring children certain places- planes, the occasional restaurant, but concert venues? No way.
    And gee, how fun for you & your wife.

My daughter was 10 before I started her on concerts & even that seemed young.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • BIG mistake. HUGE. Don't do it. I can't believe people even THINK about this kind of stuff.

Saw someone carrying about a 2 or 3 year old at KC the other night. They walked all the way up to the front side where the security was (maybe they had passes? but they weren't let in) and the kid had her hands plastered over her ears. No headphone ear protection. Just hands. In front of the giant stack of speakers on the floor. And they will wonder why their kid needs hearing aids when she's in elementary school. I saw quite a few kids at the show the other night actually... the older ones like 8 or 9, I could kind of see that. There were some younger ones too, preschool age... seriously what's the point? Your kid won't remember going to DISNEYLAND before they're 5, you think they're gonna remember a 2 1/2 hour rock concert that they fell asleep during because it started when they usually go to bed? Seriously, folks.

Even if you did have baby ear protection, it is still an extremely unwise choice to bring your baby to a rock concert. Wait till she's 8 or 9 or hell, AT LEAST 4 or 5. 17 months is ridiculous. This isn't just the opinions of everyone on this board who have replied to this, it is a FACT. And yeah, how much fun is that going to be for you and the people around you?

Get a sitter or stay home, honestly, those should have been the two options to choose from.

MY parents wouldn't let me go see my favorite band in concert when I was 10, cause "rock concerts aren't places for kids and you won't be able to see anything on stage anyway." I had to wait till the next time they came through town, when I was 13, and that was my first concert... and the "rock concert" was freakin' Daryl Hall and John Oates!!! :lol: But you know what, they were probably right. And I wasn't 17 months.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
    Another thing let's see how long this 17 month old keeps this hearing protection on. I cannot even get a hat to stay on with out her playing with it. Be real keep the kid home.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Actually, my husband and I just lost our second pregnancy last month. So no. But I'm a year away from a PhD in clinical psychology, so I've studied a bit about children and their well-being. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I guess I'm trying to express that even though I don't have kids, I can still have an opinion about it.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    I guess my point is life doesn't just stop when people have a baby. The original posters have obviously put a lot of thought and care into their situation, and they didn't ask whether they should do it. I guess I'm selfish enough that I wouldn't have taken such a young child because it would impact MY enjoyment of the show, but I'm not going to judge others about this. The smoke for a couple hours out of the whole life of the child,while not ideal, isn't the end of the world. It would probably be exposed to worse just walking around on congested city streets. They may have reasons to bring the child that we don't know.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 832
    JaneNY wrote:
    They may have reasons to bring the child that we don't know.

There is no reason to bring a 17 month old child. Either you have a babysitter and you can go enjoy the show, or you don't have a babysitter and you don't get to go to the show. Don't have children if you can't handle the responsibility.
  • knowkodesknowkodes Posts: 119
    i think after reading all these posts - the winner is Phungi - I think he pretty much summed it up!
    * New Orleans-1995* Randall's Island-Sep 28,29 1996* Phoenix 1998* Las Vegas 1998* Los Angeles 1998* Blockbuster Center-Aug 28,29 1998* Continental Arena-1998* MSG- Sep 10,11 1998* Jones Beach -Aug 23,24,25 2000* E-Centre 2000* Nassau Coliseum 2003* Tweeter Center 2003* MSG-Jul 08,09 2003* PNC 2003* Reading, PA 2004* PNC 2005* Camden 2006* Meadwlands-2006* Continental Arena 2006* MSG-Jun 24,25 2008* Dodge Music Center 2008* Tweeter Center 2008* Phil.-Oct 28,30 2009* Hartford-2010* The Prudential Center-2010

• MisterEtake2MisterEtake2 Posts: 389
    JaneNY wrote:

Actually, my husband and I just lost our second pregnancy last month. So no. But I'm a year away from a PhD in clinical psychology, so I've studied a bit about children and their well-being. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I guess I'm trying to express that even though I don't have kids, I can still have an opinion about it.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
    I guess my point is life doesn't just stop when people have a baby. The original posters have obviously put a lot of thought and care into their situation, and they didn't ask whether they should do it. I guess I'm selfish enough that I wouldn't have taken such a young child because it would impact MY enjoyment of the show, but I'm not going to judge others about this. The smoke for a couple hours out of the whole life of the child,while not ideal, isn't the end of the world. It would probably be exposed to worse just walking around on congested city streets. They may have reasons to bring the child that we don't know.

At least you can keep the kid in a stroller while walking on a congested city street. There is only one reason anyone would bring a 17 month old to a rock concert - their personal enjoyment is more important than the well being of their child. Reminds me of the couple who brought their 2 year old to a 10PM showing of The Hangover. Some people should not have kids.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Reminds me of the couple who brought their 2 year old to a 10PM showing of The Hangover. Some people should not have kids.

I've got that beat. Someone brought their 4 year old boy to the front row of a 9pm showing of Zombieland!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • pjrusspjruss Posts: 494
    The OP is obviously a 10c member, so they should be sitting near some of you who have posted your opinions here. So when you see the couple with the 17 month baby there at the show, make sure you go up and tell them how irresponsible they are being personally. Seriously.

I wonder why the OP hasn't responded once in this thread. I guess they're taking the kid, and there's nothing any reasonable person can say here to convince them otherwise...
  • If you do go through with bringing your daughter to the concert, can you do a little experiment for me?

Right when the band starts playing "Evenflow", check your daughter's diapers. Then, after the song is over, check the diapers again. I am curious as to what is the earliest age a PJ fan would consider "Evenflow" their pissbreak song.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Sawyer wrote:
    its not an environment for kids mentally or physically. What do 'parents' not get about this?

agreed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• jstockjstock Posts: 76
    DangDang wrote:
    There are ALOT worse environments than a Pearl Jam concert--including their own homes--that kids are subjected to--sometimes daily. Howver, we usually don't see this, nor are we asked for opinions on it.
    Nobody's saying there aren't worse areas to take your child. A construction site might be better than "set adrift alone at sea," but that doesn't mean I'd walk a kid through one just because I really liked buildings.
    DangDang wrote:
    And so then, my advice is, you probably already know what to take on any outing (plus the ear gear which you've covered) and the "to bring" list should include:

--juice boxes--12 or 13 should do.
    --Diapers with plenty of wipes (no doubt she will mark the ocasion with some diarhea--only kidding all those who just gasped :o ) and a small blanket for changing ease
    --Several light up quiet toys (like those $4 spinny light up orbs sold at Walmart). This will keep her entranced in the darkened envrionment and will also mesmerize & delight the fans behind you.
    --along those lines, its probably best to leave the noisy electronic toys behind
    --Bring some Pearl Jam stickers to give to the fans behind you so that they will hopefully be kind too & perhaps will make googly eyes :wtf: :D :crazy: at your daughter to keep her entertained for a while rather than receiving the judgmental :? you've been receiving here so far.
    Maybe you're being sarcastic and I'm missing it, but if this is a serious list, I would go apeshit if I was sitting anywhere near any of that. It's already free to allow a child in your seat, and you'd make it even more crowded with a diaper bag full of juice boxes and toys? And then change a dirty diaper in your seat during the concert? Thank god for that small blanket, that should really make changing a breeze, and not at all annoying or absolutely mind-numbingly terrible for everyone around you.

And if anyone tried to "mesmerize" me (there's an absolute 0% chance it would delight me) with a child's toy and then give me a sticker while I was trying to block out the diaper smell and watch my favorite band, I would either call security or keep "accidentally" spilling my drink on them until they left ("Sorry! That dude keeps bumping my elbow. Crazy concert, right?"). If you want to do all of the above in the one seat you paid for, you should be handing out way more than stickers. Maybe rare vinyls or posters.

If this list is actually a joke, then it really is hilarious. If not, it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.
    DangDang wrote:
    I'm sure that you will do what is necessary to make the event a pleasant one for you and the child.
    I hope they care about making the event a pleasant one for everyone around them as well. That's just simple respect.
    So what happened?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    If you do go through with bringing your daughter to the concert, can you do a little experiment for me?

Right when the band starts playing "Evenflow", check your daughter's diapers. Then, after the song is over, check the diapers again. I am curious as to what is the earliest age a PJ fan would consider "Evenflow" their pissbreak song.
    lmao ..........almost pissed myself
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    So what happened?

What happened is that there is a high likelihood that someone in diapers heard Wash live before I did. That's what happened.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    So what happened?

What happened is that there is a high likelihood that someone in diapers heard Wash live before I did. That's what happened.
    :lol:
    NERDS!