Bringing Daughter to her First Show

DreamsellerDreamseller Posts: 35
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Any advice from parents/fans out there who have brought there young kids to PJ shows. My wife and I will be bringing our daughter to her first show in Cleveland. She is 17 months old. We have always seen one or two at every show we have been too. So we don't see there being any problems. The venue says kids under 2 are free. And yes, we do have headphones (ear protection) for her. Should be an interesting Mother's Day.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    no offense - get a sitter.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    +1 Too Young.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I'm calling DCFS...this is fucking ridiculous
  • HurricaneHurricane Posts: 37
    That's pushing it. I brought my daughter - 10 years old- to her first in Philly in the fall. I thought I was close to the edge.
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    its not an environment for kids mentally or physically. What do 'parents' not get about this?
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    If you bring her...don't call her Daughter...not fit to.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    what is wrong with people? all these threads on people wanting to bring babys to concerts lol.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    Aww, she'll have her first contact high!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    Any advice from parents/fans out there who have brought there young kids to PJ shows. My wife and I will be bringing our daughter to her first show in Cleveland. She is 17 months old. We have always seen one or two at every show we have been too. So we don't see there being any problems. The venue says kids under 2 are free. And yes, we do have headphones (ear protection) for her. Should be an interesting Mother's Day.
    I took a family friend's child to the second night of MSG in '08 - he was twelve - and he was too young to enjoy it. He got restless, and I don't think he truly enjoyed himself. I personally don't think it makes sense to bring a 17-mo child to a Pearl Jam show - it's not the right environment for someone that young.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724

LOL :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
  • presententspresentents Posts: 139
    Less then 5 I am going with a sitter unless I am in a suite or some special club in the venue so he/she can run around. If a sitter is no option then the 200 bucks a ticket for the club and its amenities is totally worth it. With that being said I took my 9 year old son to his first PJ show on Monday in KC and he had a blast. Sang along with most of the songs except some of the older non radio songs, sat during Off He Goes cause it was slow and even tried for a set list after the show (we where 8th row). He had been asking to go to a PJ show since he was 5 and they had not been to KC since he was 3 and I promised that I would take him when they came back and I made good on that promise. He has grown up on PJ in the car, cleaning the house, hell even Rock Band, so he was very familiar which helped him enjoy it more. So every kid is different, if my 9 year old liked Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber and still liked wearing Spiderman velcro shoes then he would of been off to Grandma's house.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874

LOL :mrgreen:

it's really a good point though

always someone "going green" ;)
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    after a short car ride from Ontario, she will be happy to be held for 3 hours in a dark arena surrounded by screaming strangers, only hearing muffled sounds from ear plugs...

great call...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
    phungi wrote:
    after a short car ride from Ontario, she will be happy to be held for 3 hours in a dark arena surrounded by screaming strangers, only hearing muffled sounds from ear plugs...

great call...

wow... i had a good chuckle here... nice work phungi
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    Does she know all the lyrics?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:
    Does she know all the lyrics?

does she know the capital of Uzbekizstan?
  • theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    +1 Too Young.

+2 babies do not belong at rock concerts.
  • Don't be stupit That is to young to go to a show' If it was an outdoor show then maybe but not even then
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,682
    Don't be stupit
    Stupit is as stupit does!

:mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Poncier wrote:
    Don't be stupit
    Stupit is as stupit does!

:mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I'm pretty sure there was a little girl about that age on the floor the other night. I only seen her before showtime, so I dunno how she behaved.

17mos seems pretty young, but I suppose there's exception to every rule. Be ready the strong possibility of a shitty night for you and your baby.
  • I say do what you want because it's your choice and your daughter BUT just be aware:

1) The show is much more fun when you can give all your attention to the show itself
    2) A rock concert is not the best place for young kids

I went to the KC show the other night. A couple of folks brought their young daughters (2-3 yrs old). They had to hold them the entire night which looked like a chore. Weed smoke everywhere and the kids were basically passed out since it was so late. Nothing against them at all but I just hope it was worth it. Each to their own I guess.
  • RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158

I wouldn't bring a child that young to a concert.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Main advice - just be receptive of the baby's needs and be prepared to leave if necessary. I didn't bring my girls so young (their first show was when the younger one was 8), but in Toronto last year I saw a baby in a front pack at the back of the pit at the NIN show, and the baby was peacefully sound asleep (with big hearing protectors), so its not unheard of. I know the concept freaks a lot of people out, but you know your baby better than anyone else.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • MisterEtake2MisterEtake2 Posts: 389
    Find a babysitter.

The show will end past 11. It will probably take you another hour to get her home and into her crib. I really have to question what kind of parent would keep a 17 month old.

Call me crazy but if my wife and I can't find a sitter for our 2 year old, we will actually miss the show this time around rather than bring her.
    JaneNY wrote:
    I know the concept freaks a lot of people out, but you know your baby better than anyone else.

I'm not sure "knowing" her baby means anything. "Knowing" her won't keep the baby from inhaling smoke or having some big drunk guy falling into her. The mom is meeting her own needs, not the baby's. A baby that little could care less whether it's PJ, the pope, or Barney on stage.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    JaneNY wrote:
    I know the concept freaks a lot of people out, but you know your baby better than anyone else.

I'm not sure "knowing" her baby means anything. "Knowing" her won't keep the baby from inhaling smoke or having some big drunk guy falling into her. The mom is meeting her own needs, not the baby's. A baby that little could care less whether it's PJ, the pope, or Barney on stage.

Laura, do you have kids? Just curious.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

Laura, do you have kids? Just curious.

Actually, my husband and I just lost our second pregnancy last month. So no. But I'm a year away from a PhD in clinical psychology, so I've studied a bit about children and their well-being. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I guess I'm trying to express that even though I don't have kids, I can still have an opinion about it.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Seriously, 7 months is way too fucking young. How could anyone think otherwise? At 7 Months, that little baby should be sleeping before Band of Horses comes on! I wonder sometimes.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I hope this is only a joke :D She's an infant, are you planning on holding her all night or where would you put the baby carrier ?? She has plenty of years for concerts. Baby belongs at home where its nice and comfy.

Take care.
    ********************************************************************************************* image