A God that watches over us-real or imagined?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
i posted about this about 6 months ago, but its an interesting topic to me, as i have become more spiritual not religious over the past few months. As a marxist, and fan of hitchens, and dawkins, and a fan of bands who question the veracity of such a being, like Tool, or Radiohead, or PJ, or Modest Mouse.

I still love to watch youtube clips of hitchens and dawkins and Carlin discussing the ridiculous nature of organized religion, I see no danger in spirituality, personal spirituality.

I do like to think there is a god watching over us. Guiding us. And in terms of religion or whatever, i always have gravitated toward not necessarily a god in the clouds, but more the idea of god existing in a blade of grass, or an oak tree, or in a hawk. So much in the world is so magical. Just watching Planet Earth or Life the tv shows, how can one not wonder about how all of it.

Its comforting to think of such a being, and I seem to have developed a belief in one. Dont think i will be joining the 700 club or joining the Kirk Cameron crusade or anything but I think one can be spiritual and also keep ones sanity and wits about them. Certainly much in the realm of organized religion is completely ridiculous. the molestation, the cover ups, the racism, the patriarchal nature of it all, the rigidness of the religion, the wars religion starts. All that should and needs to be called into question and discussed.

I still have doubts and questions, who doesnt, but i think i have changed, and i would like to think i have changed for the better. So I believe in a creator, a god, a being.

Whats everyone else's take on the idea of god religion and a guy in the clouds?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I choose to believe there is a higher power, it's extremely comforting to me.

Plus I was raised a catholic, it's against my religion not to believe. :lol:
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    its pretty hilarious i was on the opposite end of this discussion a few months ago.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    with me, its not necessarily looking at whats here on Earth, to me the wonder is in the Cosmos
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    something is going on. my life is too coincidental and intertwined with certain things and people ...
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited May 2010
    That's my problem with religion. People believe because it is a comforting thought.

People need an explanation for the unknown, because the unknown is scary. They make up an explanation so its comforting, unfortunately.

It's like walking through the woods at night. It's scary, right? So, instead of just accepting that we can't see what's in front of us, we just say magical elves are guiding us and we won't run into a tree or get eaten by a bear. Those magical elves are a comforting thought.

Why can't we just accept the fact that there's things we can't explain? Why does everything need an explanation?

Because explanations are comforting, even if we make them up and convince ourselves they must be true.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    jones wrote:
    something is going on. my life is too coincidental and intertwined with certain things and people ...

i agree thats what pushed me to believe. i do feel like as crazy as it sounds, god does care about us. little old me. that indeed wars go on, the climate is in crisis, oil spills, but that in all of that, the creator, cares whether i am happy or not.

To me coincidences are not coincidences but sort of the creator showing the way.
    That's my problem with religion. People believe because it is a comforting thought.

People need an explanation for the unknown, because the unknown is scary. They make up an explanation, so its comforting unfortunately.

It's like walking through the woods at night. It's scary, right? So, instead of just accepting that we can't see what's in front of us, we just say magical elves are guiding us and we won't run into a tree or get eaten by a bear. Those magical elves are comforting.

Why can't we just accept the fact that there's thing we can't explain? Why does everything need an explanation?

i agree in some respects. my version of the creator doesnt really tell me what to believe. I dont really understand the relgious folks who are good or nice merely for fear of going to hell. my version of spirituality, the one i cling to right now, is partly the idea that my dreams, goals, desires are what god wants for me. so for instance i paint, draw, write. And I think god wants that for me as well, and will create coincidences or synchronicity as jung called it, serendipity, whatever you call it to instruct you on your way.

Its hard to talk about religion without sounding like Bush or something. This idea that God told him to invade Iraq. Thats not what I am talking about. I dont want to be like him, or those folks.

the point is, even as a now believer in a creator, i cant explain anything.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I hope there is... but I'm not wagering there is.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10

People need an explanation for the unknown, because the unknown is scary. They make up an explanation, so its comforting unfortunately.

It's like walking through the woods at night. It's scary, right? So, instead of just accepting that we can't see what's in front of us, we just say magical elves are guiding us and we won't run into a tree or get eaten by a bear. Those magical elves are comforting.

Why can't we just accept the fact that there's thing we can't explain? Why does everything need an explanation?

i agree in some respects. my version of the creator doesnt really tell me what to believe. I dont really understand the relgious folks who are good or nice merely for fear of going to hell. my version of spirituality, the one i cling to right now, is partly the idea that my dreams, goals, desires are what god wants for me. so for instance i paint, draw, write. And I think god wants that for me as well, and will create coincidences or synchronicity as jung called it, serendipity, whatever you call it to instruct you on your way.

Its hard to talk about religion without sounding like Bush or something. This idea that God told him to invade Iraq. Thats not what I am talking about. I dont want to be like him, or those folks.

the point is, even as a now believer in a creator, i cant explain anything.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with using it as your own reasoning for the unknown, its just when people push it on others as fact. When is effects laws, like gay marriage and such, then its a problem.

Speaking of marriage, why is marriage even recognized legally? Isn't it a symbolic religious thing anyways?
  • michelleelisemichelleelise Posts: 346
    I usually don't discuss religion because I have a hard time putting into words what I believe. I believe we each have a soul, a consciousness that extends beyond ourselves which existed before we came into this world and survives our death in this world. I also think that there is a part of our individual souls that guides and creates our experiences here while also interacting with and being influenced by the consciousness of others (meaning your life and destiny aren't set in stone from the beginning). And that many of the things we attribute to God(s) are really a matter of our own soul's will. I know a lot of people who grow up with organized religion find that blasphemous and recoil at the idea of taking credit for one's own successes and also question the idea because if that were true then why would so many horrible things ever happen - who would ever choose to participate in those situations. But for me the answer is that we choose to come into this world to experience all those physical things and relationships, both good and bad, as a form of our soul's growth.

I know I didn't express that well and will probably regret writing it. But it's so ingrained in me at this point that I never ask God for anything anymore like I used to when I was young. When my Mom was dying last year, and my brother and I were sitting by her while she slept, I know my little brother was praying to the God we were raised with. I guess I was "praying" to my Mom in that I was trying to send all my love and good wishes for her straight from my soul to hers, if that makes sense. I don't believe there was a God making the decision for her to move on.

I also admit that I'm never quite sure. A part of me wonders if I'm wrong and this is all there is. I guess I'll find out ;)

So,no, I don't believe there is a God that is watching over each of us. And I definitely don't believe he or she takes sides in sports games :)
    So,no, I don't believe there is a God that is watching over each of us. And I definitely don't believe he or she takes sides in sports games :)
    While I don't believe in god, I am very spiritual. I don't believe there is an all powerful being, because power is a primitive human trait. I don't believe in good or evil, however in the sense we are human, I agree you should treat others how you'd want to be treated and conform to societies laws and restrictions for the most part.

I think we're all part of some greater awareness.(not greater as better or bigger, but greater as in uncomprehendable by our minds).
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes I believe in God, not raised in religion, but Gods world has always been my source of peace.
    From a little girl I found solice alone quiet there amongst the greenery. It was what I thought was most important, that was Gods gift to me the beauty I saw.
    Its easy to believe there too.
    The night sky, the rain, a rose.
    Beautiful snowflakes falling without sound to the ground.
    A random bunny sighting, the wind, my beloved birds. A forest path.
    Lately though something has been added to this beauty. Its actually more of a feeling of completion to my beliefs, to my life.
    I realize just as beautiful as all that I love in Gods world is that person right next to me.
    To look into their eyes, share a smile, a laugh. To really care, and listen and know a story.
    To feel some pain or know their happiness.
    To share a moment, a memory. I believe God created us for this connection and through that we know God and Love.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I don't believe, i used to believe but after a lot of meditation and i came to the conclusion that there's nothing there, but if it's there, "it" doesn't care.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    imagined.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Imagined. And I'm not at all spiritual - don't really know what that means.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I have always grown up believing there is a higher power watching over us and have always prayed to them to enhance my day to day wellbeing and for all those in my life. God and prayers are not too far removed from meditation....you concentrate on anything long enough and you'll get it.
    therefore, there is no secrets and everything is already known and just needs finding.

knowing there is something bigger than me watching! keeps me looking out for the good fight.

I sleep really good at night :P ,
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Imagined, but that only means you should put more fun and creativity into your various religions. Thus my deity, Waffle. Cool cat if ever there was one. However, I do believe in a certain cosmic energy, but that would take more time that I am willing to devote right now to even partially explain. Hell, just go eat about a quarter of shrooms and lose yourself in a forest. When you get back, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Imagined, but that only means you should put more fun and creativity into your various religions. Thus my deity, Waffle. Cool cat if ever there was one. However, I do believe in a certain cosmic energy, but that would take more time that I am willing to devote right now to even partially explain. Hell, just go eat about a quarter of shrooms and lose yourself in a forest. When you get back, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Thou shalt not worship false idols. I am the Waffle. I am the Way.

QK27Xs5ZNmuiu79fqxJOq2mko1_500.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    eyedclaar wrote:

QK27Xs5ZNmuiu79fqxJOq2mko1_500.gif

ya know... my waffle iron is a real piece of shit.
    it's small and it must be old or some shit.
    it can fuck up a nice waffle in a matter of just a few moments.

what can i do to have nice wonderful godlike waffles?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Prayer is the answer, my son.

That, and Denny's.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Or Worship the Belgian Waffle God.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    chadwick wrote:

For the sake of your eternal soul, I won't mention this to Waffle, but with him being omnipotent and everything...

He may forgive you based on the fact that you are at least on a mission seeking wisdom about a better waffle.

eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

For the sake of your eternal soul, I won't mention this to Waffle, but with him being omnipotent and everything...

He may forgive you based on the fact that you are at least on a mission seeking wisdom about a better waffle.

you're a few waffles short, aren't ya?
    Theovl316 wrote:
    Or Worship the Belgian Waffle God.

The Belgian Waffle is really our version of the devil. Be wary, he takes on many pleasing and tasty disguises.

eyedclaar wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

you're a few waffles short, aren't ya?

And how!

ya know i think i am going to jump into some thorn bushes and pierce my mouth and face for awhile.
    maybe this will show the waffle gods that i am indeed sorry and that i am really trying to be a better soul.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7OdXTyRFI8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-jmhd0wKe4

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    ya know i think i am going to jump into some thorn bushes and pierce my mouth and face for awhile.
    maybe this will show the waffle gods that i am indeed sorry and that i am really trying to be a better soul.

WTF?????
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    With this thread title I couldn't help but think of my all time favorite performer and song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSh5wUtXt4

:sigh:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    With this thread title I couldn't help but think of my all time favorite performer and song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSh5wUtXt4

:sigh:

:evil:

I clicked on that link!

What about the FSM? Any pastafarians here? :lol:
    chadwick wrote:

WTF?????

what?
    you don't eat bricks and bicycles?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJRRyeGnM7k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnm6AmaUzvs :?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce