?? For The Collectors

josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,232
edited May 2010 in The Porch
What will you do with all the items you currently collect ,Posters,Tickets stubs,picks,boots anything PJ related or not .
Will you put it in your living will to be burried with all of the items or pehaps like me request that you be cremated with all of the items ,i mean what else will you do with everything you have pass onto family/kids :oops: most likely they would probably turn around and sell or give away ...or maybe you haven't thought about this at all :lol::lol:
jesus greets me looks just like me ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,051
    I'll just let my kids do as they please but make sure they know rhe values of stuff. That way if they sell they'll get good money
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,389
    hmm .. i'll probably make this home like an Elvis type of home where people from all over the world can visit & walk around D's place & see all the sweet Pearl Jam memorabilia & archive goodies i've been collecting since '91.

Personally though in my will if anything happens, they will go to my kids, grand kids, nephew's etc .. Few though would be freebied / gifted to close friends of mine who i've met & cared for, for many year's in the Pearl Jam community.
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,347
    Giving all my signed stuff to the little one when she gets older she will love it hopefully she already knows great music.
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I'll just let my kids do as they please but make sure they know rhe values of stuff. That way if they sell they'll get good money

when people inherit stuff like that they rarely look into its real value. to your kids or grand kids, all your pj stuff will just be a lot of junk and they wont take the care in preserving it that you did. well, unless they are fans. most times stuff like this gets unloaded at yard sales or estate auctions for fractions of what its worth. you would be better off selling it for its value while your around, since you know where good buyers are. and just leaving them the money.

as for my own stuff, i dont know what to do with it. ive stopped buying a lot of stuff after the ten box set. i paid all that money for it and it sits in its card board box that it arrived in. only had it out a couple times to listen to the vinyl/etc. my posters that arent framed, sit in a flat file and i doubt they will ever see frames. might jsut be time to take my own advise and sell some of this stuff :D my vinyl get played regularly so i think ill hang onto them for a while yet ;)
    This post is © by gfraser
  • theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    ill leave mine to pdalowsky as hes younger then me..well as long as he does the same...like my kids want this crap im spends shit loads on..
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,846
    I'm taking Vitalogy to the grave with me. You guys could have everything else.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    pdalowsky wrote:

what he said.
    gfraser wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

when people inherit stuff like that they rarely look into its real value. to your kids or grand kids, all your pj stuff will just be a lot of junk and they wont take the care in preserving it that you did. well, unless they are fans. most times stuff like this gets unloaded at yard sales or estate auctions for fractions of what its worth. you would be better off selling it for its value while your around, since you know where good buyers are. and just leaving them the money.

as for my own stuff, i dont know what to do with it. ive stopped buying a lot of stuff after the ten box set. i paid all that money for it and it sits in its card board box that it arrived in. only had it out a couple times to listen to the vinyl/etc. my posters that arent framed, sit in a flat file and i doubt they will ever see frames. might jsut be time to take my own advise and sell some of this stuff :D my vinyl get played regularly so i think ill hang onto them for a while yet ;)

my collection is fully catalogued, with prices paid for items shown on the lists against current up to date values also....My kids will know where that info is so they can get the best prices if they want to....if they choose not to thats there call...it wont matter to me, but as promos cds start to be phased out over the next year - the promo element to any collection will only increase in value the longer the Pj legend survives. Reagrdless to me its really not about the money, I always say my collection is worthless as I dont ever think i will sell it, I enjoy it, it makes me happy, it hurts no one, so thats whats important. What my kids do with it is really not important to me, they may even want to preserve it - but this I doubt, I hardly took a shine to my dads motown collection after all. But to be fair i collect for me.....its my thing, so once i'm gone, I really couldnt care less what happens to it.
  • TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
    The problem with this kinda collections is that usually when someone lefts something behind (ie. collector dies) the ones who receive the collection don't really know the value of it. AND the money spent on Pearl Jam collection in 2010 won't come back in 2080. No one cares by then. That's why I have 1 valued LP and poster and that's all.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
    TT8270 wrote:
    The problem with this kinda collections is that usually when someone lefts something behind (ie. collector dies) the ones who receive the collection don't really know the value of it. AND the money spent on Pearl Jam collection in 2010 won't come back in 2080. No one cares by then. That's why I have 1 valued LP and poster and that's all.

really you think no one cares about the beatles, Led Zep, pink floyd, and even Nirvana still? the first Nirvana 7 inch sells for over $2000 still - he's been dead 16 years and only made two albums of real note (not looking to piss anyone off with that - bleach and incesticide would never have been noticed if it wasnt for Nevermind)....

Plus Pj are a hugely collectible band, with a die hard following and with the legend of being one of the finest live band in the world for many reasons I see their popularity reigning long after they call it a aday, and if it dfoesnt really who cares? I really dont collect for financial gain.....Thats what the stock market is for
  • Jezza44Jezza44 Posts: 25
    pdalowsky wrote:
    gfraser wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

my collection is fully catalogued, with prices paid for items shown on the lists against current up to date values also....My kids will know where that info is so they can get the best prices if they want to....if they choose not to thats there call...it wont matter to me, but as promos cds start to be phased out over the next year - the promo element to any collection will only increase in value the longer the Pj legend survives. Reagrdless to me its really not about the money, I always say my collection is worthless as I dont ever think i will sell it, I enjoy it, it makes me happy, it hurts no one, so thats whats important. What my kids do with it is really not important to me, they may even want to preserve it - but this I doubt, I hardly took a shine to my dads motown collection after all. But to be fair i collect for me.....its my thing, so once i'm gone, I really couldnt care less what happens to it.
    Good to see a sensible collector .If you take pride in what you do,and you very much do mate,then the sensible thing to do is catalogue what you collect.This way your kids will appreciate more what you have had an interest in.Likewise the other stuff I collect is all catalogued,for the benefit of my wife and kids,so that they have an idea of somethings worth,value and importance. I dread the thought of something thats been collected for years,decades ending up at a car boot sale,or one of those dreaded house clearence cons. You should always take pride in what you collect and hopefully pass this value onto your kids.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    What will you do with all the items you currently collect ,Posters,Tickets stubs,picks,boots anything PJ related or not .
    Will you put it in your living will to be burried with all of the items or pehaps like me request that you be cremated with all of the items ,i mean what else will you do with everything you have pass onto family/kids :oops: most likely they would probably turn around and sell or give away ...or maybe you haven't thought about this at all :lol::lol:

I realized a few months ago that I had way too much stuff and started selling some of it little by little. I figure a lot of that helped me run up some credit cards so selling will help me pay some of that stuff off.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
    pdalowsky wrote:

really you think no one cares about the beatles, Led Zep, pink floyd, and even Nirvana still? the first Nirvana 7 inch sells for over $2000 still - he's been dead 16 years and only made two albums of real note (not looking to piss anyone off with that - bleach and incesticide would never have been noticed if it wasnt for Nevermind)....

Plus Pj are a hugely collectible band, with a die hard following and with the legend of being one of the finest live band in the world for many reasons I see their popularity reigning long after they call it a aday, and if it dfoesnt really who cares? I really dont collect for financial gain.....Thats what the stock market is for

You can't compare Zep, Floyd or Nirvana to Pearl Jam. Those three first ones are LEGENDS so its completely different thing collecting them than collecting Pearl Jam. EVERYONE knows those bands, even those who don't know much about music scene. And that's why the value of Pearl Jam stuff is nothing compared to them.

And yeah at the moment PJ are hugely collectible band (and that's exactly why I'm thinking of selling some of my rare stuff soon, to get the best possible price for them) but won't be in 20-30 years.
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    TT8270 wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

You can't compare Zep, Floyd or Nirvana to Pearl Jam. Those three first ones are LEGENDS so its completely different thing collecting them than collecting Pearl Jam. EVERYONE knows those bands, even those who don't know much about music scene. And that's why the value of Pearl Jam stuff is nothing compared to them.

And yeah at the moment PJ are hugely collectible band (and that's exactly why I'm thinking of selling some of my rare stuff soon, to get the best possible price for them) but won't be in 20-30 years.

i respectfully think you are missing the point. Those bands all became instantly more collectible when they finished. On record sales alone Pearl jam have a huge place in history. a 20 year continous and hugely successful run as a band tells its own story for me. Absense makes the heart grow fonder. So in thirty years time I still see Pj being looked on as a hugely important band along the way. If nothing else as perhaps the most exciting band for many many years. Something even the critics these days seems to agree on.

Time makes legends legends my friend.
    pdalowsky wrote:

Yep we'll see...let's get back to this in 30 years...May 5th 2040 that is ;)
    134xxx
    Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
    Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
    Fugazi - 2000-10-10
    TT8270 wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Yep we'll see...let's get back to this in 30 years...May 5th 2040 that is ;)

its a date, i'll pop it in my iphone ;)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,389
    so whos going to sell me give way,freak,single,brother watermarked,etc etc but no stuffed dogs wanted

I'll freebie some amazing rarities down the road, but you gotta pay for shipping cost. Deal?
    demetrios wrote:
    so whos going to sell me give way,freak,single,brother watermarked,etc etc but no stuffed dogs wanted

I'll freebie some amazing rarities down the road, but you gotta pay for shipping cost. Deal?

deal deal deal deal deal ;);););) dribble dribble