do you tip for carry out?

2»

Comments

• PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I don't :shifty:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    is there a way we could do a poll of people who have and have not worked in the restaurant/bar industry and how that correlates to their propensity to or to not tip?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    RW81233 wrote:
    is there a way we could do a poll of people who have and have not worked in the restaurant/bar industry and how that correlates to their propensity to or to not tip?

I never worked as waitstaff, but when I was a nurse manager hiring people to work in a busy emergency department I had a widely known preference for hiring nurses and clinical assistants who had been waitstaff or bartenders. They can always deal with multiple conflicting demands, have good customer service skills, and tend to get it right the first time.

I did once work at McDonalds and was briefly promoted from the counter to the grill, then rapidly demoted back to a register after screwing up an order of Filet o'Fish. I sent a customer off with a bag of six of them, but I forgot to put in the fish patty. So when he got home all he had was six buns with a strip of yellow cheese and a splurt of mayo. He was PISSED when he came back. The manager later explained that it didn't help that I doubled over laughing in front of the customer when I realized what happened. Funny to think that they'd then put me back in a position where I'd be dealing with cash...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    why on earth would anyone tip for this?
    www.myspace.com
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i can tell you one thing
    i tip for the jeagler

not leaving a tip for him
    no

i just tip him, personally...ya know?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I tip when I do outback steakhouse carry out. 5$
    I'll be back
    I tip when I do outback steakhouse carry out. 5$

why though? it's not like you are sitting down at a table and being waited on.
    www.myspace.com
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,041
    GOD NO!! I'm part Scot!!!! :mrgreen:

true story
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited May 2010
    I called in my carry out order to ruby tuesday's last nite and she told me to go to the bar to get it. No longer bring it to your car. They stopped months ago. No need for my thread I started. I charged the food and put a few ones with my charge thingy. Not 15 percent though...
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mickeyrat wrote:

true story

which part?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,041
    edited May 2010
    norm wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

true story

which part?
    I think my big toe. Mom's family tree research only went so far. Scots invented big toes , ya know.

in all honesty I'm northern european mutt. Scot, Welsh, Irish, Dutch, German, And possibly some Nat.American. now way to tell that one though.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i over tip at bars and restaurants..but take out i will do just around 20%

if you're going out to eat just factor it in before you leave to see if you can afford it or don't go out

everyone should have to work hospitality for 1 year to get their "i am awesome" id card. the rest of you get %30 added to your bill

i even tip the planet smoothie peeps. karma people
    jones wrote:

if you're going out to eat just factor it in before you leave to see if you can afford it or don't go out

everyone should have to work hospitality for 1 year to get their "i am awesome" id card. the rest of you get %30 added to your bill

i hear ya on the karma bit.
    when i drove big things for a living i tipped the shower cleaning person.
    i'd nicely leave a few dollars near the sink in my shower room.
    gotta love a clean shower restroom thingy when the highway is your bestest friend in the whole wide world.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    jones wrote:

i hear ya on the karma bit.
    when i drove big things for a living i tipped the shower cleaning person.
    i'd nicely leave a few dollars near the sink in my shower room.
    gotta love a clean shower restroom thingy when the highway is your bestest friend in the whole wide world.

what do highways do for fun?
    www.myspace.com
    what do highways do for fun?

unfortunately it's a great deal of work and not so much fun times.
    fun can be had, this is true.
    mostly i tried to be a good boy.
    btw, mostly i busted my ass.

so i was making decent coin.
    spread the wealth... mostly aim to be a decent person.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce