edited April 2008 in The Porch
Apparently they are annoying celbrity do-gooders:
http://www.maximonline.com/Entertainment/Pearljam/slideshow/5329/353.aspx
Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i'll agree with the bono write-up on the previous page. :)
  • Options
    well what would you expect? Maxim is a magazine for people who have never done anything good themselves in their lives and have never had a useful thought in their lives. I mean that's like the dumbest article ever- "um yeah, so we hate people who try to do good things. we hate people who care about consumers and the environment and other "crap." we don't like thinking. thinking is lame. doing good things is lame. none of these people are naked ladies, and they've never commented on the best techniques for oral sex. they are lame. dude!"

honestly the sheer fact that this magazine even exists says a lot about the state of society and we probably need the "do-gooders" even more...
  • Options
    well what would you expect? Maxim is a magazine for people who have never done anything good themselves in their lives and have never had a useful thought in their lives. I mean that's like the dumbest article ever- "um yeah, so we hate people who try to do good things. we hate people who care about consumers and the environment and other "crap." we don't like thinking. thinking is lame. doing good things is lame. none of these people are naked ladies, and they've never commented on the best techniques for oral sex. they are lame. dude!"

honestly the sheer fact that this magazine even exists says a lot about the state of society and we probably need the "do-gooders" even more...

F-ing awesomely put! Rock on w/your bad self.

I couldn't agree more.
    rocknrollgurl = *bee girl* @ www.myspace.com/pearljamgrrl

Everything you've imagined...needn't be stuck in your mind.
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000

The models are pretty hot though....just ask Ed.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Apparently they are annoying celbrity do-gooders:
    http://www.maximonline.com/Entertainment/Pearljam/slideshow/5329/353.aspx

Ok, here's MY list........

Maxim is on my list of Most Suckiest Asshole's who think I care about what they think..........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865

Geeez, lighten up a bit. I think you're looking into the situation way deeper than the hole really is. I don't read Maxim, and apparently either do you, but I know a lot of people who do who have in fact done wonderful things with their lives and others to help out. Who gives a rats ass about what they say? They're not saying anything about not doing good because those people are annoying, it's just sometimes the way they put themselves in the spotlight is annoying. Which I can somewhat agree with that, but I just don't pay attention to it, like Bono. Frankly, they should have put Tom Cruise on that list for saving lives on a weekly basis. We're all aware of those causes, we don't need it to be shoved down our throats any further about being aware.

It's just a magazine for fun, seriously, let them have their fun. And if someone reading that article is really going to buy into ignoring those celeb's from now on and doing the opposite of what they want to help, well then they were a lost cause before that article.

Have some fun, would ya? =)
  • Options
    yeah, I know I was just kidding.......

but I have got to defend our beloved band when someone bashes them...

(God I sound pathetic........)

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    but I know a lot of people who do who have in fact done wonderful things with their lives and others to help out.

I'm sorry, but I'm surprised that anyone who reads (or pays good money for) maxim can, well, read.
  • Options
    writersu wrote:
    yeah, I know I was just kidding.......

but I have got to defend our beloved band when someone bashes them...

(God I sound pathetic........)

heh, I could tell you were kidding. It seems as though they were struggling to finish the list if they were putting PJ in there though. I didn't know they were that relevant in today's mainstream news about doing good things and making people aware. I figured that was done ten+ years ago, and just the fans at the shows get the rants these days. Which I don't mind them, I love hearing stories.
  • Options
    I think the most shocking thing about this is that Maxim thought this would be a good idea for an article. This really says something about the American public and mass media...

It's kinda scary. Is it so bad to try and make a difference?
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    nfanel wrote:
    i'll agree with the bono write-up on the previous page. :)

Another reason I heart you...I loathe bono...talk about a man with a god complex. :rolleyes: (and I didn't capitalize his name on purpose)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Hilarious...although I don't believe PJ ranks up there with others on the list.

A good send-up none the less...

Take it with a grain of salt.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    It's meant to be humorous, people... settle down. Maxim is like Mad magazine with pictures of hot chicks and cars. It's not fucking Newsweek.

You CAN have a sense of humor and laugh at stuff like this and still love the band, you know. I'm sure they're not losing any sleep over it.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I'm sorry, but I'm surprised that anyone who reads (or pays good money for) maxim can, well, read.

I don't check out Maxim's website, but the magazine really isn't that bad. I found some really cool gadgets in there that I've bought for my house and this month's feature article about the super wave scene and how surfing was the first extreme sport was pretty interesting. I honestly don't know much about the surfing scene other than watching Iconoclasts last year with Ed and Laird Hamilton and reading an article about the culture that Hamilton is a part of was very interesting.

I admit alot of it is frat boy humor, but you kinda take that with a grain of salt and when you sit around reading contracts and employment agreements all day - a little brain candy is welcome.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options

Seriously? Well I'm sorry you let your agenda of a magazine skew your views of a population that reads it.

It's for entertainment purposes, and those that can justify that's all it's for, well then, I guess Maxim is doing their job and entertaining them. They're not exactly reading it to get ideas on how to cure cancer. Personally I think the magazine is a tease...come on, the girls aren't even naked, and you can find all the jokes and articles online for free anyway. What's the point? Pfft.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Danimal wrote:

LOL, true.
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    heh, I could tell you were kidding. It seems as though they were struggling to finish the list if they were putting PJ in there though. I didn't know they were that relevant in today's mainstream news about doing good things and making people aware. I figured that was done ten+ years ago, and just the fans at the shows get the rants these days. Which I don't mind them, I love hearing stories.

I just respect anyone these days who truly have causes and beliefs that they believe in that inspire them to speak up and not to waiver just because people don't agree with them......or put them on lists.

right???

• Options
    Danimal wrote:

really????

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I think the most shocking thing about this is that Maxim thought this would be a good idea for an article. This really says something about the American public and mass media...

It's kinda scary. Is it so bad to try and make a difference?
    very true
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    It's meant to be humorous, people... settle down. Maxim is like Mad magazine with pictures of hot chicks and cars. It's not fucking Newsweek.

You CAN have a sense of humor and laugh at stuff like this and still love the band, you know. I'm sure they're not losing any sleep over it.

it's not about them insulting the band or anything like that...it's like...the fact that they...exist. media like this, it only hurts our culture. this article, I don't even get it, what is bad about doing good things? why is that funny? why would you say to someone "hey bob, this week I want you to write up something about why it's lame to care about stuff"...I mean it just doesn't make SENSE.
  • Options
    No one READS Maxim. Ya know what I mean?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    I have a policy that I won't date a guy if the only thing he reads is Maxim. (Hmm..no wonder I'm still single.)

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    No one READS Maxim. Ya know what I mean?

yes, they DO!!!!!! But only after they "read" the aritcles in Playboy........

touche............

• Options
    I have a policy that I won't date a guy if the only thing he reads is Maxim. (Hmm..no wonder I'm still single.)

me too!!! If I were dating some guy and he seemed perfectly wonderful and then I went this house and saw a maxim on the table, I would dump him right then and there.

hmm if I start dating again, I should ask beforehand as part of the screening process. that would probably be easier.
  • Options
    me too!!! If I were dating some guy and he seemed perfectly wonderful and then I went this house and saw a maxim on the table, I would dump him right then and there.

I wouldn't necessarily DUMP him for having the magazine, I mean, they do have some good tips on chicks in there...but, I need more substance to a man than just that....I mean, it would be like me just reading Cosmo. (Does that make any sense whatsoever??)

• Options

hmm if I start dating again, I should ask beforehand as part of the screening process. that would probably be easier.

Because that would be smart. No one can have a guilty pleasure anymore? Maxim is harmless it's the reader you have to worry about.

Some of you people on here are about as fun as an insurance seminar.

(I am not a Maxim reader either)

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Because that would be smart. No one can have a guilty pleasure anymore? Maxim is harmless it's the reader you have to worry about.

Some of you people on here are about as fun as an insurance seminar.

(I am not a Maxim reader either)

WOAH...I didn't say I wouldn't date someone who read it...just if it was the ONLY thing (i.e. reading a book once in a while is a GOOD thing!) he filled his head with. I'm all for guilty pleasures, lord knows I have them!

• Options
    writersu wrote:
    I just respect anyone these days who truly have causes and beliefs that they believe in that inspire them to speak up and not to waiver just because people don't agree with them......or put them on lists.

right???

Right! I completely respect that as well. I just never thought the article to begin with was worthy enough of just a little fuss...yet, some people are taking it further than that here...dumping someone over reading the magazine? Yikes!

I wonder if Ed has ever read one? Well crap, if he's ever had one, then I'm burning all my albums, posters, and ticket stubs and cancelling my 10C account! Damn all you maxim readers, I'll show you all!
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Right! I completely respect that as well. I just never thought the article to begin with was worthy enough of just a little fuss...yet, some people are taking it further than that here...dumping someone over reading the magazine? Yikes!

I wonder if Ed has ever read one? Well crap, if he's ever had one, then I'm burning all my albums, posters, and ticket stubs and cancelling my 10C account! Damn all you maxim readers, I'll show you all!

hahahahaha!!!!!!!!1

yeah, and Ed is still one of us.......

(well, like us only with a bit more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.........a bit=======a lot)

• Options
    WOAH...I didn't say I wouldn't date someone who read it...just if it was the ONLY thing (i.e. reading a book once in a while is a GOOD thing!) he filled his head with. I'm all for guilty pleasures, lord knows I have them!

Oh ok. Hhahaha. I misunderstood...I was like "What the hell? You girls can read Cosmo but we can't read Maxim?" :D