Has Pearl Jam (or eddie) ever done a DMB Cover?

2»

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    God I hope not. Call me an asshole and a music snob if you want to, but I have a right to my opinion. DMB is just too much of a jam band for me, and I'm not crazy about the whole hippy mentality, etc. either. I think at the core of it to I feel like they're a band that people try and ascribe TOO MUCH meaning to. Like saying the movie Gladiator is your favorite movie because it's so inspiring to you!
    you do....and I get what you're saying.

that said, the dudes in DMB are good musicians.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Stryker wrote:
    :sick::sick:

I hope that never, ever happens

But what if they did? Would you stop listening to Pearl Jam? God forbid they or anybody else might have differing musical tastes than you. There are a good amount of people on this board that have very little musical tolerance, and it's rather sickening. So often, on this forum, I see people throwing out negative comments in regards to acts that aren't Pearl Jam or Pearl Jam related. This is why I never bring up what other bands I like around here because I know I'll get flamed to hell. All the music snobbery around here needs to stop.

Dude/Dudette....It IS a PEARL JAM MESSAGE BOARD.....What do you expect here? seriously? Sickening? Worried about being flamed? Needs to stop? lol.....Many have stood on this soapbox over the years and many more will...Just find it amusing that it is your turn today I guess....:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    God I hope not. Call me an asshole and a music snob if you want to, but I have a right to my opinion. DMB is just too much of a jam band for me, and I'm not crazy about the whole hippy mentality, etc. either. I think at the core of it to I feel like they're a band that people try and ascribe TOO MUCH meaning to. Like saying the movie Gladiator is your favorite movie because it's so inspiring to you!

Yeah, I hate jam bands. Porch is so much better when Mike doesn't get to solo.

Dude, you're on the message board for a band that for the first 10 years of its existence was a rock jam band. That's part of what made those live shows back in the day legendary - you might end up with a 10-minute-long version of Alive by the time Mike was done with it. It's part of what makes live music so awesome - you get to see the musicians really let loose and show off. I'd much rather hear Pearl Jam JAM than play a three-minute-long song that's just power chords played over a 4/4 beat. I loved Mike's solos in Even Flow and Alive on Saturday - that reminded me exactly why I fell in love with the band in the first place.

And if you hate hippies, you must have a love/hate relationship with Pearl Jam. The guys are in their 40s, yet two of them still have long hair. They're a bunch of tree huggers who love the environment. They ride skateboards and surfboards. They play in a jam band that even has the word "jam" in its name. They've covered songs by Don McLean, Pink Floyd, Sly & the Family Stone, CCR, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, John Lennon, and the Doors, among many, many, others. They're publicly anti-war. They're not exactly strangers to herbal pharmaceuticals. If I gave you that description of a band, but no name, you'd tell me it was a band filled with hippies.

And I, for one, like DMB. I don't like their middle albums very much, but Before These Crowded Streets and Big Whiskey are great. I appreciate them for the very reason someone already stated in this thread - they tour constantly, and they change their setlist up every night. Their sound has matured and changed over the years. They're all outstanding musicians.

You can say people try and ascribe TOO MUCH (nice pun, btw, even if you didn't mean it) meaning to their lyrics, but at the end of the day there are songs on Backspacer that have all the depth of a puddle. Shake Me Like A Monkey may be one step away from being a Prince song lyrically, but it's not like "Lemme Know, c'mon let's go, yeah!" is a line Dylan would've written.

So yeah, I think you're an asshole and a music snob. But you're also a Pearl Jam fan, which makes you a pretty cool asshole and music snob :lol:
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153
    cajunkiwi wrote:

Yeah, I hate jam bands. Porch is so much better when Mike doesn't get to solo.

Dude, you're on the message board for a band that for the first 10 years of its existence was a rock jam band. That's part of what made those live shows back in the day legendary - you might end up with a 10-minute-long version of Alive by the time Mike was done with it. It's part of what makes live music so awesome - you get to see the musicians really let loose and show off. I'd much rather hear Pearl Jam JAM than play a three-minute-long song that's just power chords played over a 4/4 beat. I loved Mike's solos in Even Flow and Alive on Saturday - that reminded me exactly why I fell in love with the band in the first place.

And if you hate hippies, you must have a love/hate relationship with Pearl Jam. The guys are in their 40s, yet two of them still have long hair. They're a bunch of tree huggers who love the environment. They ride skateboards and surfboards. They play in a jam band that even has the word "jam" in its name. They've covered songs by Don McLean, Pink Floyd, Sly & the Family Stone, CCR, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, John Lennon, and the Doors, among many, many, others. They're publicly anti-war. They're not exactly strangers to herbal pharmaceuticals. If I gave you that description of a band, but no name, you'd tell me it was a band filled with hippies.

And I, for one, like DMB. I don't like their middle albums very much, but Before These Crowded Streets and Big Whiskey are great. I appreciate them for the very reason someone already stated in this thread - they tour constantly, and they change their setlist up every night. Their sound has matured and changed over the years. They're all outstanding musicians.

You can say people try and ascribe TOO MUCH (nice pun, btw, even if you didn't mean it) meaning to their lyrics, but at the end of the day there are songs on Backspacer that have all the depth of a puddle. Shake Me Like A Monkey may be one step away from being a Prince song lyrically, but it's not like "Lemme Know, c'mon let's go, yeah!" is a line Dylan would've written.

So yeah, I think you're an asshole and a music snob. But you're also a Pearl Jam fan, which makes you a pretty cool asshole and music snob :lol:

8-) great post
    PJ44
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    post of the month, hands down.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

the month is 3 days old :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    it's that damn good that i doubt anybody can top it. ...even with a whole month to go. that's how good it is. :mrgreen:

• CreedDiseaseCreedDisease Posts: 241
    Man, I should have explained why I originally asked the question.... I have a friend that went with me to jazz fest this weekend.. She is a huuuge DMB fan. DMB is to her what Pearl Jam is to me...She has DMB tattoos and has seen them literally doezens of times... Jazz fest being her first PJ show, and her not being that familiar with the music, i thought she would appreciate Eddie and the guys more if she heard them doing a DMB much better than DMB... I'm not a big Dave fan at all.. I think he talks like a retarded bobby bouche (sp?) from the waterboy. I thought I had read about them being on stage together, and would be an easy way to prove who is better.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I really don't know enough about DMB to have much of an opinion of them. I've heard quite a bit of their stuff over the years but nothing has made me think "Wow, I need to hear more of this" - it's the kind of stuff that I won't turn off if it's on the radio but I won't go out of my way to listen to it.

I was just wondering if anyone here thinks there is a DMB song that PJ could/should cover? Let's face it, PJ are pretty damn good at covers (e.g. Crazy Mary is pretty much a PJ song now) so if anyone can think of one that would sound good then it may be interesting to hear it.

By the way...
    ...but the question is Do you think Pearl Jam respects Nickleback? :lol:
    Every time Nickelback is mentioned on The Porch, God kills a kitten...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    lmao!!!!!!!!

the OP doesn't even like DMB. and here we are agruing over if it's ok or a sin to like anybody besides pj.

• pjampjam Posts: 102
    Great reply who ever wrote it. I'm a music snob more than most but I don't no why Matthews gets beat up on the board so much. Pearl jam is by far my favorite band of all time and I would rather see them live more than any other band but Matthews is musician wise one of the top bands of all time especially with tim Reynolds on guitar. Pearl jam wins for there live shows. Between the set lists and the energy nothing beats a pearl jam show but anyone on here that plays an instument or just loves great musians check out some mattews stuff. Get one of their live albums. Tim Reynolds is one of the best guitarist of all time. I know most people don't care but I play guitar and am just amazed at how good he is. Anyway, I'll see you in Hartford!
    09/13/98+08/29/00+11/05/00+11/06/00+12/08/02+
    12/09/02+06/01/03+06/02/03+06/03/03+06/05/03+
    06/06/03+06/07/03+07/02/03+07/03/03+07/08/03+
    07/09/03+07/11/03+07/14/03+09/28/04+09/29/04+
    10/01/04+10/08/04+10/03/05+05/13/06+05/24/06+
    05/25/06+ As many more as possible
    pjam wrote:
    Great reply who ever wrote it. I'm a music snob more than most but I don't no why Matthews gets beat up on the board so much. Pearl jam is by far my favorite band of all time and I would rather see them live more than any other band but Matthews is musician wise one of the top bands of all time especially with tim Reynolds on guitar. Pearl jam wins for there live shows. Between the set lists and the energy nothing beats a pearl jam show but anyone on here that plays an instument or just loves great musians check out some mattews stuff. Get one of their live albums. Tim Reynolds is one of the best guitarist of all time. I know most people don't care but I play guitar and am just amazed at how good he is. Anyway, I'll see you in Hartford!

you might have to wear a disguise! :shock: ;):lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I am constantly amazed at these so called fans of music here on these boards.
    I can understand if you don't like DMB because it's not your kind of music...that's fine, but the level of stupidity and sheer ignorance about a band that in many ways is (from a musical standpoint) technically superior to Pearl Jam never ceases to amaze me.

The constant flow of truly dumb comments from Pearl Jam fans is actually quite amazing. Not sure at what point some of you decided that the whole "holier than thou" music snob would come crawling out.

I used to be in the boat where I was a big DMB fan, but was never really a fan...of their fans.
    Much like Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam puts on a great live show, however Pearl Jam fans are often no more different than those annoying people in DMB crowds.
    Maybe just a bit more full of themselves...

Most PJ and DMB fans are very open-minded people who respect all kinds of music. Then you get those on the outer fringes who have so little in their lives BUT a band. It's pretty sad really.

Anyways, back to the OP.

No, I don't see PJ covering DMB and I don't see DMB covering PJ. I honestly do think both bands have mutual respect for each other though.
    Both bands are going to be around for a long time to come, and I'm pretty sure we'll see collaborative arrangements in the future, just not covers of the other band that came out at the same time as each other (+/- a year or so).
    pjam wrote:

Yep, DMB is insanely talented.
    Truly incredible musicians. As a fan, I do think they tour far to damn much and need to take some time off and let the creative juices flow.

And yeah...Tim Reynolds is beyond ridiculous on guitar.

I agree, PJ puts on a better show. Sooooo much more energy. Not to take anything away from Dave, who also puts on a great show...but the level of energy just isn't quite there.

That said, from a musician standpoint...DMB is still more technical and more talented IMO.
  • levyhitlevyhit Posts: 22
    has ed and dave ever been on the stage with one another?
    i mean is there a way to tell if they're a fan of one anothers music?

yes bridge school...on the finale songs..not sure on the exact years...'99,...
  • im not a fan but i'd be really interested to hear what they come up with. i respect them.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527

I'm with Blondie on that one this person has an EXCELLENT and undeniable point. :-)
  • dlymnflddlymnfld Posts: 918
    They both cover the same songs and bands. They both do watchtower and although I am a bigger PJ fan than DMB fan, I like Dave's version better as he slows it down. They both also do Neil Young. I have actually seen DMB more than PJ just because he tours more and my goal is to see a concert in every state and with Dave this is much easier. I have seen DMB in about seven different states and every where you go he sells out and everyone sings along with his songs. I think Dave rules and this is coming from somone who named his both daughters Emily Pearl and Grace Pearl.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • People always talk about Tim Reynolds yet forget that DMB has one of (if not) the best drummers in music today. The guy is nuts on drum.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Has led zeppelin (or robert plant) ever done a kings of leon cover?
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    levyhit wrote:

yes bridge school...on the finale songs..not sure on the exact years...'99,...

You're correct on the Bridge School, not 1999 though. 2001, 2006.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Stryker wrote:
    :sick::sick:

I hope that never, ever happens

But what if they did? Would you stop listening to Pearl Jam? God forbid they or anybody else might have differing musical tastes than you. There are a good amount of people on this board that have very little musical tolerance, and it's rather sickening. So often, on this forum, I see people throwing out negative comments in regards to acts that aren't Pearl Jam or Pearl Jam related. This is why I never bring up what other bands I like around here because I know I'll get flamed to hell. All the music snobbery around here needs to stop.

Glad this is what you got from my post..
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
    edited May 2010

You're correct on the Bridge School, not 1999 though. 2001, 2006.

very cool. bridge school holds a special place in my heart.
    some of you know why.

dlymnfld wrote:
    I think Dave rules and this is coming from somone who named his both daughters Emily Pearl and Grace Pearl.

now that answers the OPs question in a big way.
    (unless pearl is a family name) :lol:
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on

• Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Sorry to burst your bubble.

But I would bet large sums of money that this will NEVER EVER happen.

Pearl Jam doesn't need to cover DMB...and DMB doesn't ever have to cover Pearl Jam.

These are 2 very different bands with very different styles...Oddly enough, both bands seem to have similar influences...but so do many other bands.

So other than a shared love of 60's and 70's rock neither band seems to be influenced by one another...

Dave and Eddie have shared the stage a few times
    -Bridge School, and that "Artists Who Hate George W. Bush Tour" from 2004-

I guess, that would have been the only chance of either Dave or Eddie participating in a cover of one anothers songs...but instead you got the typical and predictable All Star Kumbaya sing along of "People Have The Power", "Rocking in the Free World", or some Bob Dylan cover that fit the occasion.

I wouldn't rule out that maybe some members of Pearl Jam listen to DMB -Stone and Mike seem likely- But as for a full band version of a DMB song...I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Aren't Stone and Dave Matthews good friends?

I remember a few years back reading an article about how Stone and Dave would hang out and Dave would let Stone use he recording studio...or something along those lines.
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,012
    Reminder:
    Name calling not ok.
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely.

Thank you
    See the Posting Guidelines.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91525
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    ms259093 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    DMB sucks.

yet their concerts continuously sell-out for the most part year after year. just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they suck.

Hitler was a huge success in Germany. Would you agree he sucked? That's the logic you just used in your first sentence.

Your second sentence kind of makes sense. Everyone has their opinions on which bands are good, and which are bad. Personally, I think they have talent, but the way they put their music together is highly annoying. Hence, they suck.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • burgburg Posts: 20
    I heard a boot of Dave covering Jeremy once.. I think I recorded it somewhere - back in the day when you could do that and not get arrested by the feds.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    DMB sucks!

Yea yea let me just join the parade and hate a band over their fans, that sure makes alot of sense!

/sarcasm

dmb is awesome and are ridiculously talented.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09