Bye bye Ovechkin!

2»

Comments

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    81 wrote:

Sidney Crosby has the best resume at anyone his age in professional team sports. Ever.

that's a bit of a bold statement considering he's not the best at his age in his own sport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky

If you are talking about stats, then yes you are correct... but Crosby was younger than Gretzky when he first won the Cup, and younger then Wayne for an international medal (1984 Canada Cup). Crosby also won gold at world juniors and Wayne did not.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 81 wrote:

Sidney Crosby has the best resume at anyone his age in professional team sports. Ever.

that's a bit of a bold statement considering he's not the best at his age in his own sport

I said best resume, not the best statistics. Nobody will ever come close to what Gretzky did, but at the same age he had yet to win a Cup or score the winning goal to capture gold. The only thing Sid doesn't have at this point is a Conn Smythe, and he seems well on his way to that this year.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    agree 100% with you that crosby is the better player.

but let's not get out of hand with the classiest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqR17KrLKw

Holy shit......a fight and scrum at a hockey game.....those animals.

really man? did you not see the two huge upper cuts from behind to the guy's nuts?

or the bertuzzi like punch to the back of the head?

blinders.

Yes... one punch to the nuts in in 400+ NHL games makes him a classless player.... and a "bertuzzi like punch"? you're kidding right? A shot to the back of the head in scrum that happens all the time is equal to a career ending sucker punch? really?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

If you are talking about stats, then yes you are correct... but Crosby was younger than Gretzky when he first won the Cup, and younger then Wayne for an international medal (1984 Canada Cup). Crosby also won gold at world juniors and Wayne did not.

Wayne was in his 5th NHL Season vs. 4th for Sidney for first cup. One year does not make much difference in my book, nor does Sidney getting in the NHL a little younger.

You can't compare Crosby's first 5 seasons to Wayne. Gretzky owns Sidney.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    edited April 2010
    Yes... one punch to the nuts in in 400+ NHL games makes him a classless player.... and a "bertuzzi like punch"? you're kidding right? A shot to the back of the head in scrum that happens all the time is equal to a career ending sucker punch? really?

i counted two shots to the nuts (intent to injure, 5 game suspension for anyone else). my point is, when it's time to face the music, sid backs down. instead of dropping the gloves, he will cheap shot people when their back is turned. and when he does drop his gloves, he pulls this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3RfDTNM4q8

embarassing.
    Post edited by rival. on
    if you want to look at anouther sport, go check out Magic Johnson's bio
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

i counted two shots to the nuts (intent to injure, 5 game suspension for anyone else). my point is, when it's time to face the music, sid backs down. instead of dropping the gloves, he will cheap shot people when their back is turned. and when he does drop his gloves, he pulls this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3RfDTNM4q8

embarassing.

"intent to injure, 5 game suspension for anyone else" again, really? really? Have you paid any attention over the last 5 years to disciplinary actions in this league? Just about anyone not named Sean Avery could do that and wouldn't get more than a roughing penalty. 5 games!?!?!?!

delusional.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Wayne was in his 5th NHL Season vs. 4th for Sidney for first cup. One year does not make much difference in my book, nor does Sidney getting in the NHL a little younger.

You can't compare Crosby's first 5 seasons to Wayne. Gretzky owns Sidney.

I'm not arguing that Gretzky owns Crosby.... I was just supporting aspoonfulweighsaton statement with some facts about championships.

Crosby will never be on Gretzky's level, and with how the game has changed, I don't think anyone ever will be. The skill level in the league today is light years ahead of what it was even 15 years ago.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    yes the league has changed, but Wayne was so far ahead of everyone and at this point, there careers are to far apart in terms of stanley cups. if Pitt doesn't win this year, then after 5 years both have one title. i also have a hard time counting the gold medal, since Wayne never had the opportunity.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    "intent to injure, 5 game suspension for anyone else" again, really? really? Have you paid any attention over the last 5 years to disciplinary actions in this league? Just about anyone not named Sean Avery could do that and wouldn't get more than a roughing penalty. 5 games!?!?!?!

delusional.

well yeah, its obvious that disciplinary actions in the league over the past few seasons have been a complete joke. there is no rhyme or reason to what campbell hands out, and it's amazing how blurry it has gotten. and the fact that this was crosby, you knew nothing would have been pursued for the incident.

but you would be lying if you said you would expect no suspension from a player that pulled that shit on one of your guys. barry melrose even said it could have been a 3 gamer. ::GASP:: someone from the media not stroking crosby!

it's ok to admit that.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you can't be truly great unless you are truly hated ...

there's gotta be a quote somewhere from someone like that ... in any case - funny, hearing the stuff peeps have on crosby ... comes with the territory i guess ... ;)
    81 wrote:
    yes the league has changed, but Wayne was so far ahead of everyone and at this point, there careers are to far apart in terms of stanley cups. if Pitt doesn't win this year, then after 5 years both have one title. i also have a hard time counting the gold medal, since Wayne never had the opportunity.

You watch those games from the 80's and it's amazing how little of the net the goalies took up, and how poorly the defensemen skated compared to today. It's funny to watch.

Lemieux, who for the first half of his career got by on talent alone, once said when asked about his conditioning prior to the season, said 'A month before the season I don't order fries with my club sandwich.' Hell, he was even a smoker!

Imagine today's elite players, with their conditioning playing in that time! It would be like playing a video game against he computer on "rookie" :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    polaris_x wrote:
    you can't be truly great unless you are truly hated ...

there's gotta be a quote somewhere from someone like that ... in any case - funny, hearing the stuff peeps have on crosby ... comes with the territory i guess ... ;)
    I think in Crosby's case its because the league has used him as the main selling point and representative of the NHL. Bettman is trying to expand the U.S. audience with him by appealing to the casual fan. The problem is that casual fans don't watch games on Versus and no hardcore fan likes seeing 35 commercials of the Crosby brothers hitting pucks into a dryer when their team is playing (and Pitt isn't).

But is doesn't help that Crosby also comes off as a whiny, cheap-shot artist and then tries to act all pure. At least Ovechkin seems to relish the role of the villain.
    81 wrote:

You watch those games from the 80's and it's amazing how little of the net the goalies took up, and how poorly the defensemen skated compared to today. It's funny to watch.

Lemieux, who for the first half of his career got by on talent alone, once said when asked about his conditioning prior to the season, said 'A month before the season I don't order fries with my club sandwich.' Hell, he was even a smoker!

Imagine today's elite players, with their conditioning playing in that time! It would be like playing a video game against he computer on "rookie" :)

players still do bad stuff. There was a defenseman for the Flyers who would smoke a cigarette between periods. i can't think of his name...but he was only in town for a season or two. i think he was there in the 06 season.

i'll agree the game has changed, but Wayne was head, shoulders and skates about the competion. There was no question Wayne was considered teh best player in the game. The same can't be said for Sidney.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    edited April 2010
    Jason P wrote:
    I think in Crosby's case its because the league has used him as the main selling point and representative of the NHL. Bettman is trying to expand the U.S. audience with him by appealing to the casual fan. The problem is that casual fans don't watch games on Versus and no hardcore fan likes seeing 35 commercials of the Crosby brothers hitting pucks into a dryer when their team is playing (and Pitt isn't).

But is doesn't help that Crosby also comes off as a whiny, cheap-shot artist and then tries to act all pure. At least Ovechkin seems to relish the role of the villain.

i think he suffers from the same thing most phenoms do ... hype ... which is nothing to do with him ... it's not like he's begging to be on every magazine out there ... probably the reason why he turns down gigs on letterman or whatever now (peeps criticize him for that too) ...

every athlete that gets this much hype is sure to have his haters ... i find the whiny thing to be ridiculous ... tim duncan considered one of the greatest PF's in the nba is the biggest whiner too ... guys that are good get the most cheap shots ... if they just said nothing ... they wouldn't get the calls ... you think jordan and lemieux or gretzky got calls by being quiet ... hell no ... and really, cheap-shot artist? ... a couple of youtube videos isn't gonna put him in the league of matt cooke or ulf samuelson ...

all i know is the kid can flat out play the game ... it takes special players to succeed in the playoffs (looking at you joe thornton) and he's got it ... he's probably not the classiest guy (lidstrom maybe now - he learnt from the man himself Stevie Y) but he's not the punk some peeps want to make him out to be imo ... edit: should add daytsuk to that list too ... that guy can play too ...
    Post edited by polaris_x on
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    Jason P wrote:

i'm not even going to begin to go into everything wrong with what you said :lol:

note to self: maxime talbot is sidney crosby's brother

and polaris_x, epic win on your mention of ulf samuelsson!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

i'm not even going to begin to go into everything wrong with what you said :lol:

Holy crap, I didn't realize that was Talbot! I just assumed Max was his brother since they were shooting pucks into Sid's mom's dryer. Now that I think about it, it makes me angrier that I had to watch two Pen’s players shoot pucks into a dryer about 4,000 times this year. Damn you, Reebok!

Also, what the fuck is Talbot shooting pucks into Sid's dryer for anyway? Did he get a handicap? Couldn't they have found a dryer on a neutral site?
    Jason P wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Holy crap, I didn't realize that was Talbot! I just assumed Max was his brother since they were shooting pucks into Sid's mom's dryer. Now that I think about it, it makes me angrier that I had to watch two Pen’s players shoot pucks into a dryer about 4,000 times this year. Damn you, Reebok!

Also, what the fuck is Talbot shooting pucks into Sid's dryer for anyway? Did he get a handicap? Couldn't they have found a dryer on a neutral site?

It was rigged by Bettman... just like everything else Crosby does. :):D
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    Jason P wrote:

just a marketing thing. talbot was the stanley cup hero and crosby is the most marketable player. plus everybody knows about the famous dryer. for the record, crosby won by a wide margin :P