Best New Car for $25k-$30k

2»

Comments

• UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    BrianG wrote:
    whatever you model you decide, i am always a believer in buying a car between 6 and 24 months old with very low miles. Let the original buyer take the brunt of the depreciation and you can buy far far more car for your money and it is going to be virtually new (new to you anyway) and still under warranty or certified.

This is not always true.....especially for vehicles with high resale value. For example:

New 2010 Honda Civic LX coupe - can probably talk the dealer down to about $16K and have 1.9% financing available for 60 months
    Precertified 2007-2009 coupe - will resale for around $13-15k, have 10-30k miles already, and be stuck with higher interest rates. Also, dealers may add the cost of precertification back into the selling price (Honda told me approx $800 once)

Your statement does however make sense for a lot of domestic vehicles that depreciate at a more rapid pace.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Seems as is my desired price range falls within a bit of a middle-ground.....either a loaded "practical" car, or a lower end luxury or sports car. A Prius would make sense, but I don't really dig the shape.

2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe (fully loaded)

or

Nissan 2.5S Altima Coupe (fully loaded)

or

Nissan 370z
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger (the cheapest one). We got it after I allegedly totalled our other car.

I like it---but it's a pain in the ass to get into the back seat if you have to.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Lizard wrote:
    I like it---but it's a pain in the ass to get into the back seat if you have to.

interesting :think:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    norm wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

interesting :think:

:angel:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Can't believe how cheap cars are there :shock:

Mazda 3's are boring, you'll be snoozing driving the damn thing. Get yerself something nifty, yer only young once.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Jennytree wrote:
    Can't believe how cheap cars are there :shock:

Mazda 3's are boring, you'll be snoozing driving the damn thing. Get yerself something nifty, yer only young once.

I'm trying to get to the point where I can spend freely without worry...I can afford to spend more, but I may not feel comfortable about spending $40k on a car!
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Why hasnt anyone mentioned the obvious choice of a mini-van yet!

I took my Volvo in for service twice lately and the dealership hooked me up with a two sweet rides...

A Kia Rio and a Chrysler Town and Country! The poor kid that set it up for me was so stoked about the mini-van. He just drooled over the DVD package. Knucklehead. What can I say, he lives in SLC where mini-vans are king.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my taurus looks like an old woman car but it can fly. i bought it in 2003 and i think it is an ses model.
    it has 24 valves. i have 174,000 miles on that car and it is probably the best thing i have ever owned.
    my husband fixed something minor with the transmission though when it was maybe 2 yrs old.
    the sticker was $23k in 2003. i may buy a 2011 taurus. not sure which model has a v6 which is equivalent to a v8. but we love mustangs too. we have 3.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    81 wrote:
    Neil wrote:
    The 5.0 Liter engine is coming back in the 2011 Mustang GT... You could get one in the $29-$30k range.

or better yet, you could get a camaro :mrgreen:
    I'd take my WRX Subaru over both of those cars 8-)

I had a Subaru Impreza WRX from 2002 - 2008. It was the best car I ever owned. I bought it new for $23K and sold it with 87k miles for $12,500! awsome resale.

If you drive conservatively, it gets good gas mileage, but if you push that turbo a bit, it hauls ASS!
    ...0-60 in 5.7 sec I think!!!
    Also, the insurance was normal because it is considered a family coupe...
    In addition, the all Wheel drive is fun and honestly help me entirely avoid two major collisions that would have totalled any other normal 2wd car.

I can't wait to get another one someday.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    Lizard wrote:
    I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger (the cheapest one). We got it after I allegedly totalled our other car.

they weren'y that easy back in the 70's either.

My older brother had a '70 R/T 440cid. Blew up the engine in Germany when stationed there with USAF back in '85 or '86.

End of May he accepts delivery on a 2010 S/R/T.
    Now stationed as a civilian firefighter( actually he's the Fire Chief) in Guam
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    sooo..what'd you buy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    VW like owning a tank
    81 wrote:
    sooo..what'd you buy

Nissan Altima 2.5SL
    :?
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I went for the practical well-equipped choice.

Didn't wanna get a bare-bones entry-level luxury car.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've driven most '09 and '10 cars. I rent cars a LOT for work (1-2x/week) and have driven pretty much everything.

One of the best cars IMO (and the experts agree) around $20k is a Nissan Altima 2.5S. For a little more, you can get a "SL" which is a feature-packed version of the same car.

Also, for a little more, you can get the 3.5 which will give you a very nice V6. That 3.5 is a great engine. It only gets approx 4-5 miles per gallon less than the 2.5 4 cylinder version.
    The price of the 3.5 is a bit more, but if you want to increase the "fun level" on a good car...you should consider it.
    I'm in the car market, and the 3.5 my be the car I get.

Also, the brand new Mazda 6 is pretty good, but I like the Altima better.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,375
    Hope you bought a used 08 or 09. With the vehicle reports and used car databases we have today, it is silly to buy a brand new car. Worst investment ever. You lose at least 20% value the second you sign the papers. Your more likely to get a lemon right off the "new car" lot.
    Hope you bought a used 08 or 09. With the vehicle reports and used car databases we have today, it is silly to buy a brand new car. Worst investment ever. You lose at least 20% value the second you sign the papers. Your more likely to get a lemon right off the "new car" lot.

Bought it new...I wanted something fresh.
    i like new as well.

yes you take the deperation hit, but you also get the full value of the warrenty and you know exactly how the car has been treated from day one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    81 wrote:
    i like new as well.

yes you take the deperation hit, but you also get the full value of the warrenty and you know exactly how the car has been treated from day one.

Yeah, I'm also a neat/clean freak. I don't like the idea that someone or other people drove my car before me.
    Certainly from a financial standpoint, a car that is 1-2 years old makes the most sense...but from a mental standpoint...new is the way to go.

I mentioned before that I drive a lot of rentals... talk about NASTY!!!!!! I've seen some sick shit before.
    Thank god, I'm far enough up on the rental company's "preferred" status that I get new-er cars (less than 5k miles usually). Some of them that have 20k+ :shock: SICK!