There was an attempt by MSG to have the PJ on the 18th too.

2»

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.
    piece of cake from NYC and there are a decent number of trains from Philly to Newark-Amtrack.
    true about the parking though-its just gotten way out of hand at the sports arenas/stadiums in the NYC area
    I dont think its that big of deal for the crew to make a stop in Newark before setting up shop in NYC. Its more work, but hey they are professionals.
  • I would think at this stage of their careers when they are all multi-millionaires there would be some consideration given to what would be easier as opposed to what would be slightly more profitable. But obviously not. Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.

njtransit and path trains both stop very close to the arena.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I would think at this stage of their careers when they are all multi-millionaires there would be some consideration given to what would be easier as opposed to what would be slightly more profitable. But obviously not. Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.

uhhh ... what about people who don't live in NYC? ... it's clear there are already 2 shows for those people but for those who are traveling - is it possible that Newark is actually moer convenient? ... like say people from Philly?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    polaris_x wrote:
    I would think at this stage of their careers when they are all multi-millionaires there would be some consideration given to what would be easier as opposed to what would be slightly more profitable. But obviously not. Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.

uhhh ... what about people who don't live in NYC? ... it's clear there are already 2 shows for those people but for those who are traveling - is it possible that Newark is actually moer convenient? ... like say people from Philly?

nyc is way closer to newark

its a 10 min trainride from the WTC
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    polaris_x wrote:
    maybe they were trying to make it easier for others in the area (philly) to get too ... beyond just getting into manhattan, there is parking, hotels and such that are more expensive as well ...

That's what I was thinking too - having one at Newark is spreading it around a little more - one or the other place will be easier for various people coming from a variety of places. I do love NYC and MSG is where I"m going, but sometimes the logistics of getting into the city quickly can be challenging if your time is short and you get stuck in traffic on 95 or 17 or something.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    people will freak out now... :lol:

but are they bitchin????

:D
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

but are they bitchin????

They don't. R now bitching.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    CJMST3K wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

but are they bitchin????

They don't. R now bitching.
    dont tell me i didnt warn u hof!! :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    ...its a 10 min trainride from the WTC

Where is the WTC?

..too soon?
    BM42909 wrote:

Where is the WTC?

..too soon?
    yeah that is kinda fucked up
  • BM42909 wrote:

Where is the WTC?

..too soon?

lol
  • vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    I´m glad they didn´t have a 3rd concert at MSG, didn´t want to go through hell with the tix again ... got our tix for Newark nice and easy ( like it´s always should be :roll: ) we did get tix for MSG but the 2nd night only 2 singel tix so my wife and I want be abel to stand together :( it´s not that bad like I always say as long as you get a ticket and get in :mrgreen:
    We are so exited and can´t wait to see them again
    See U all
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    BM42909 wrote:
    the spectrum was a dump as well, but man, what a show that was back in october

The Spectrum is renowned for having excellent acoustics. As is the Tower Theater in Upper Darby. It is no coincidence that good bands sound even better in these venues.

The Spectrum may have been getting older and had poor sight lines and limited amenities, but the venue itself is a measuring stick for great sound properties.

The Garden isn't known for anything positive. It's ugly and it stinks. The sound there is sub-par.

That being said, Pearl Jam tears the fucking roof off of it every time, so it doesn't matter how bad/good the venue is - you're in for a great sonic experience.

I thought the sound at the spectrum seriously sucked, esp hearing all the hype

msg has great sound, esp with bands that make it a priority

as to why newark over msg 3, having witnessed the beauty that was ed's solo show, newark def showed him the love and this is payback :D:D:D
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • BD122845BD122845 Posts: 43
    Not sure who is the promoter for Madison Square Garden if its Metropolitian or LiveNation. I know AEG is doing Newark and the venue is surrounded by a Giant Toilet Bowl thanks to Conan O'Brien.
  • MSG is the best on a great night. It's called "MSG Magic". Labeled back in the day when the Dead played there. The sound is amazing if you are in the half of the arena closest to band, And behind stage- even in the 300's. The back corners of arena, yes the sound sucks. Overall MSG is one of my favorite venues of all time. Not crazy about having to go out to Jersey, but you do what you gotta do,.
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 575
    ive never been to a concert at msg but from what im told the sound isnt the greatest. that being said ive been to numerous rangers and knicks games there and to say the building is dead or old and decrepid is very ignorant. the place gets a buzz to it when the crowd and there are no bad seats. the concourses i like a lot more than prudential and most of the bathrooms have 2 sides. so imo its a great place to have concerts. i mean watching msg 03 is enough to realize these 2 shows are the "hot tickets."
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    edited April 2010
    BD122845 wrote:
    Not sure who is the promoter for Madison Square Garden if its Metropolitian or LiveNation. I know AEG is doing Newark and the venue is surrounded by a Giant Toilet Bowl thanks to Conan O'Brien.

Delsener/Slater and Metropolitan were the big two, and both rivals. D/S was pretty much pj's exclusive in the NY/NJ area. Delsener/Slater was bought and is now part of Live Nation, and Ron Delsener still is a bigwig within the company. Mitch Slater then became a competitor to LN by working for Metropolitan, and then quickly sold Metropolitan to LN.

Some of Metropolitan's people went to AEG

PJ has not (as far as I know) used Metropolitan. I believe any show within D/S old territory is handled by LN.

EDIT - Delsener/Slater handled the '98 shows at MSG, and Live Nation (formerly D/S) handled the 2008 and is handling the 2010 shows. I wasn't at the 2003 shows, but my money is on LN for those shows.

(I'm simplifying it by saying "Live Nation", since Live Nation was Clear Channel was SFX)
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    MSG is the best on a great night. It's called "MSG Magic". Labeled back in the day when the Dead played there. The sound is amazing if you are in the half of the arena closest to band, And behind stage- even in the 300's. The back corners of arena, yes the sound sucks. Overall MSG is one of my favorite venues of all time. Not crazy about having to go out to Jersey, but you do what you gotta do,.
    No question MSG does have some magic-and when there is a good crowd-man there is nothing like it.

but the sound at MSG is unfortunately nowhere near "amazing" even by the sound board-the spectrum, Izod, pru center, PNC, hartford-all have MUCH better sound unfortunately

in 08, PJ's sound was not as good as it has been in the past-perhaps it will be better this time around.
    Just my opinion and Ive seen quite a few shows at the garden.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Get_Right wrote:
    MSG is the best on a great night. It's called "MSG Magic". Labeled back in the day when the Dead played there. The sound is amazing if you are in the half of the arena closest to band, And behind stage- even in the 300's. The back corners of arena, yes the sound sucks. Overall MSG is one of my favorite venues of all time. Not crazy about having to go out to Jersey, but you do what you gotta do,.
    No question MSG does have some magic-and when there is a good crowd-man there is nothing like it.

but the sound at MSG is unfortunately nowhere near "amazing" even by the sound board-the spectrum, Izod, pru center, PNC, hartford-all have MUCH better sound unfortunately

in 08, PJ's sound was not as good as it has been in the past-perhaps it will be better this time around.
    Just my opinion and Ive seen quite a few shows at the garden.

i can only hear myself anyway :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......