There was an attempt by MSG to have the PJ on the 18th too.

CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Just hearing now that there was an attempt by MSG to get PJ to play the 18th, but the band booked Newark instead. Not sure of why they didn't book an obvious sell-out show. I'd have to guess that the band wanted originally to play Boston 2 nights... but, it would have been cool to have 3 nights (with the 19th being an "off" night) with them in NYC proper.

Just trying to figure out their thought process. :)
ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
*NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
*MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
*Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
*Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
*Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
*VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
*EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
*Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    people will freak out now... :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    people will freak out now... :lol:
    I forsee and other Boston Vs NY debate
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Obviously I have no idea but I agree they probably originally wanted to play 2 in Boston. When that didn't work out, they probably looked to the Prudential Center because it's one of the nicest stadiums in the country and they've never played there before. My friends and I have been dying for them to play there since it opened so I'm really excited about it. It will be cool to see them in a new environment.

Plus, admit it, MSG kind of sucks. I know everyone lives in some fantasy about the place but if you're honest about it, it's nothing special. The sound is shit and the facility is old and out of date. If it wasn't in Manhattan, it wouldn't be a desirable venue to play by any means.
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck" -Peter Griffin
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    october22 wrote:
    Obviously I have no idea but I agree they probably originally wanted to play 2 in Boston. When that didn't work out, they probably looked to the Prudential Center because it's one of the nicest stadiums in the country and they've never played there before. My friends and I have been dying for them to play there since it opened so I'm really excited about it. It will be cool to see them in a new environment.

Plus, admit it, MSG kind of sucks. I know everyone lives in some fantasy about the place but if you're honest about it, it's nothing special. The sound is shit and the facility is old and out of date. If it wasn't in Manhattan, it wouldn't be a desirable venue to play by any means.

The crowd vibe is what matters, IMO, not venue aesthetics. Especially if we're talking arenas.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • I wish the Times Union Center in Albany would have been an option. Its been four years since they played Albany and they need to come back real soon.
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    The crowd vibe is what matters, IMO, not venue aesthetics. Especially if we're talking arenas.
    That's true too... I liked MSG although I dont think its anything that great outside of the fact that its a landmark arena in a huge city which is what makes it special.

Still though - 3 dates at MSG could have led to some really crazy setlists... here's hoping they treat Newark like NYC1 anyway. :)
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    That would have been cool if they played MSG 3 nights!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Mcam55 wrote:

dont know who Peter Griffin is ,
    or his relaitvity here,
    of those 3 teams, only the NYK ( sadly ) have anything to do with MSG .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i told u... :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    i told u... :lol:

indeed. :?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the spectrum was a dump as well, but man, what a show that was back in october
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Yes on both points! :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I thought MSG had legendarily great sound, for an arena?
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Mcam55 wrote:

dont know who Peter Griffin is ,
    or his relaitvity here,
    of those 3 teams, only the NYK ( sadly ) have anything to do with MSG .

petergriffin.jpg

peter_griffin.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    the band likes to play new places
    it probably costs less for them to book the rock
    its close enough to NYC so they can still stay at the four seasons in NYC
    Im glad they are playing Newark, while I love the energy of MSG and NYC "tailgating," the sound is better at the rock
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    petergriffin.jpg
    :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    That's interesting and doesn't make much sense. Newark isn't a sure fire sellout. There are still lower level tickets available. I'm wondering if it's because MSG takes a much higher cut than most venues (from what I have read). But trucking the stage and lighting over to Jersey for one show has to cost money. With the demand for the MSG shows, why would you risk there not being that demand somewhere else?
    Get_Right wrote:

LOL Did they tell you this personally? I'm a big fan of people making statements of fact when for all we know, Boom has a phobia of new places.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143

The Spectrum is renowned for having excellent acoustics. As is the Tower Theater in Upper Darby. It is no coincidence that good bands sound even better in these venues.

The Spectrum may have been getting older and had poor sight lines and limited amenities, but the venue itself is a measuring stick for great sound properties.

The Garden isn't known for anything positive. It's ugly and it stinks. The sound there is sub-par.

That being said, Pearl Jam tears the fucking roof off of it every time, so it doesn't matter how bad/good the venue is - you're in for a great sonic experience.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    That's interesting and doesn't make much sense. Newark isn't a sure fire sellout. There are still lower level tickets available. I'm wondering if it's because MSG takes a much higher cut than most venues (from what I have read). But trucking the stage and lighting over to Jersey for one show has to cost money. With the demand for the MSG shows, why would you risk there not being that demand somewhere else?

Precisely.

MSG is extremely expensive (all labor is union), but when doing multiple shows your costs are significantly reduced since you don't have the expense of loading/unloading all of that equipment for the additional dates (let alone trucking emissions to go to Newark - looking at you Stone).

It's probably a "been there, done that" thought, and why not do a new venue... except that ticket sales have been sluggish everywhere except NYC proper.

And the energy from the crowd at MSG is unlike I've seen anywhere else, but I've only seen them at east coast venues. It's intense at MSG, and I think the band feeds off of it.
  • maybe they just wanted to play a brand new venue they never played before? i'm sure $ isnt their only determining factor when choosing venues.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
    maybe they just wanted to play a brand new venue they never played before? i'm sure $ isnt their only determining factor when choosing venues.
    According to recent interviews with Stone is definitely one of the top ones. :lol:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    maybe they were trying to make it easier for others in the area (philly) to get too ... beyond just getting into manhattan, there is parking, hotels and such that are more expensive as well ...
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I agree with most of the posts that Pearl Jam is what matters most to any venue. I've often ripped Camden but am sorry they're not playing there this year. I wish I was going to MSG this year but couldn't get fan club seats and wasn't about to sit on the third or fourth level at MSG for the price ticketmaster was selling. But was able to get Newark and can't wait!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    There's nothing like the smell of Newark in the morning...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • nope...you're all mistaken.
    They just wanted to give me a home show for my birthday...and by home I mean NJ, ...not that there's anything wrong with Newark...just sayin :D
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    Get_Right wrote:

LOL Did they tell you this personally? I'm a big fan of people making statements of fact when for all we know, Boom has a phobia of new places.
    nah its just masturbatory speculation :lol: based upon Ed's rants when they are playing a new venue

And I believe you are 100% right about MSG taking a bigger cut of both $$$ and tickets.
    I would think at this stage of their careers when they are all multi-millionaires there would be some consideration given to what would be easier as opposed to what would be slightly more profitable. But obviously not. Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.
    I would think at this stage of their careers when they are all multi-millionaires there would be some consideration given to what would be easier as opposed to what would be slightly more profitable. But obviously not. Newark is a pain in the ass to get to from NYC isn't it? Is there a train that goes directly there? I know there is no train from Philly. And be prepared to get raped for parking at Prudential Center. I think it was about $30 last january for Metallica.
    It actually seems super easy to go from NYC to Newark on the train.

I'd prefer NYC, but it doesnt matter since I'm driving to Hartford/Boston anyway...