For anyone who has ever had to put down their dog...

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Sawyer wrote:
    I had to do it to my beloved bulldog who attacked a kid......she was 1 :cry:

ouch!
    such a rough decision.
    obviously, the right thing to do....but still so tough.
    we had a similar issue with one of our dogs (tho not attacking a child, but her masters!). 2 years old and we had to put her down. it was heart-wrenching. even with all her issues, she was a beautiful and often loving dog, too intelligent/dominant for her own good really. it's so sad to put down an elderly and/or ill dog, but a young and vibrant dog.....soooooo difficult! i totally empathize.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    see, I was attacked when i was 1 or 2 by my dog... Sheeba or something was it's name... and it was insane.

My dad put it down.... he said "you smell and you have no friends"

that didn't work so we had it properly put down by a vet.

I think this is why I hate dogs. (most dogs)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    see, I was attacked when i was 1 or 2 by my dog... Sheeba or something was it's name... and it was insane.

i do understand, it's a very traumatizing experience.
    tho, as an intelligent adult i would think you could move past that and realize, just like all people are not the same, nor are all dogs. ;) and, the vast majority....well, they would do just about anything for their master. however, i get it. there are dog people and non-dog people, and it is very rare for one to change camps. tho i don't understand the need to jump in every dog thread and comment, but hey....whatever.....;)

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    dunkman wrote:

I pulled a knife on a dog just the other day. True story... :lol: I didn't think animals actually understood the concept of blades, but he went from super aggresive to I'm gettin' the fuck away from this guy in about 1 second.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i do not beileve a scotsman would ever be traumatized
    say it isn't so, please dunky :?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    dunkman wrote:

tho, as an intelligent adult i would think you could move past that and realize, just like all people are not the same, nor are all dogs. ;) and, the vast majority....well, they would do just about anything for their master. however, i get it. there are dog people and non-dog people, and it is very rare for one to change camps. tho i don't understand the need to jump in every dog thread and comment, but hey....whatever.....;)

you are giving dunk man too much credit here...
    www.myspace.com
    chadwick wrote:
    i do not beileve a scotsman would ever be traumatized
    say it isn't so, please dunky :?

of course not... i was merely inconvenienced.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

nope, i just hate dogs.

and i jump in and comment on every dog thread for parity... why are you doing it? you don't own a dog and you seem indifferent to them... so why bother? plus if i didn't jump in to every dog thread i'd be left with about two threads... the one about Ed looking hot and the other one about the moany guy with the fucking boring fence issues.... so dogs it is.

:thumbup:
  • DinghyDogDinghyDog Posts: 587
    edited November 2012
    -
    Post edited by DinghyDog on
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

nope, i just hate dogs.

and i jump in and comment on every dog thread for parity...

hmmmmm...you should think of that then when you reflect on all the child-rearing threads where you didn't seem to appreciate non-parents comments. ;) kinda the same thing. :D
    (and for the record, yea...i usually stay out of those)
    dunkman wrote:
    why are you doing it? you don't own a dog and you seem indifferent to them... so why bother?

huh?
    i have 2 dogs currently and i am not at all indifferent about them.
    or was that simply a rhetorical question?
    dunkman wrote:
    plus if i didn't jump in to every dog thread i'd be left with about two threads... the one about Ed looking hot and the other one about the moany guy with the fucking boring fence issues.... so dogs it is.

and hey.....you can always start your own threads, such as your pressing issue about your stolen avatar. :D
    i just find it interesting how you always seem to pop up on dog threads...just can't help but comment, or be a bit mean in 'humor' of course, especially in a thread about people who have had to put down their dogs. that's all. not a complaint, just an observation. but again...whatever....knock yourself out. i know we all - well most of us - are passing the workday!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

ehhhh.. this thread is about people who have had to put down a dog... we have. that makes it relevant for me to post in doesnt it?

I posted in the other one about the woman who died saving a dog because it wasn't solely for dog-owners... it was about someone being mental. ;)

I have maybe posted on the "look at my puppies" one but only to say the title was very misleading.

other than that?

If it was a thread about "how should i reprimand my dog" then I'd stay out... just as a non-parent should stay out of a thread about reprimanding children...

you dropped this earlier

28824.jpg

;);)
    face it, we all know that secretly you love puppies.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Jo wrote:
    I had to put our dog down.

I rescued her as a pup and she had grown up with our 4 boys.
    Until one day she turned around and bit one of my Sons on his face and drawing severe blood.

she was a 12 year old dog, and I could see she was ' losing her mind'.

That afternoon, I gave instructions for my dog to be put on the leash and lead down the back paddock and shot in the head and burried.

I had 4 young children, if that dog had bitten any lower on my son, he would have bled to death, so why would I take the chance to see if the dog does it again?.

Um... I'm somewhat horrified here. After raising from puppyhood, having 12 years and presumably no problems, and when she's possibly a little old and cranky dealing with four little kids she gets a gunshot to the head?!?
    :cry:
    (This is written by someone who was bitten in the face and leg by a friend's 120 lb dog a couple of years ago, so please don't think I'm not empathetic to your son's trauma... it's an awful experience)

You notice how she never posted again ... I too am empathetic to her son's trauma... but again seems more like a vengeful move to me.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:
    ehhhh.. this thread is about people who have had to put down a dog... we have. that makes it relevant for me to post in doesnt it?

I posted in the other one about the woman who died saving a dog because it wasn't solely for dog-owners... it was about someone being mental. ;)

I have maybe posted on the "look at my puppies" one but only to say the title was very misleading.

other than that?

If it was a thread about "how should i reprimand my dog" then I'd stay out... just as a non-parent should stay out of a thread about reprimanding children...

you dropped this earlier

28824.jpg

;);)

HAHAHAHA. Dunk has had his coffee today, lookout!
    dunkman wrote:

other than that?

you dropped this earlier

28824.jpg

;);)

HAHAHAHA. Dunk has had his coffee today, lookout!

Oh boy, no one is safe now!
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    [quote="Theovl316You notice how she never posted again ... I too am empathetic to her son's trauma... but again seems more like a vengeful move to me.[/quote]

So I'm wondering why some people found it hard to believe I would have my dog of 12 years shot dead on my property, under my instruction?

Is it because I did not give my dog a second chance to attack another child? Or because I chose a bullet instead of a needle?

So what if I raised it from a pup? Does that take presidence over the children I gave BIRTH TOO?

I can just hear it now.........
    " Sorry Mr Smith, my dog just punctured your sons jugular, but she's old and grumpy, I'm sure you understand!"

I would never keep a dog that is capable of attacking anybody, especially a 75Kg senile Rottweiler.
    Jo wrote:
    [quote="Theovl316You notice how she never posted again ... I too am empathetic to her son's trauma... but again seems more like a vengeful move to me.

So I'm wondering why some people found it hard to believe I would have my dog of 12 years shot dead on my property, under my instruction?

Is it because I did not give my dog a second chance to attack another child? Or because I chose a bullet instead of a needle?

So what if I raised it from a pup? Does that take presidence over the children I gave BIRTH TOO?

" Sorry Mr Smith, my dog just punctured your sons jugular, but she's old and grumpy, I'm sure you understand!"

I would never keep a dog that is capable of attacking anybody, especially a 75Kg senile Rottweiler.[/quote]

Yes it is because you chose a violent way of doing it. henceforth the reason put down or put to sleep as opposed to bein shot and killed. And again we are empathetic to what happend to your son, just not the way you chose to deal with your dog.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited April 2010
    Jo wrote:
    "Theovl316 wrote:
    You notice how she never posted again ... I too am empathetic to her son's trauma... but again seems more like a vengeful move to me.[/quote]

[quote="Jo"]So I'm wondering why some people found it hard to believe I would have my dog of 12 years shot dead on my property, under my instruction?

I would never keep a dog that is capable of attacking anybody, especially a 75Kg senile Rottweiler.

[

I was a bit taken aback by this as well, but having family living in the country (and not having 'city girl' sensitivities)and my uncle having to shoot both dogs and his horse , I understand this way of dealing with animals can be a lot less traumatic for it. Dogs know when they are going to the vet, they know it's usually not a pleasant trip. They get stressed and everything. On the otherhand, when shooting it on his/her territory, all that unnecessary stress is no longer. Of course they may sense that something is not quite, but they are at HOME, therefore calmer. It's up to the owner to make sure the animal stays that way and has a quick death - properly done, a shot to the head is instant death.
    Post edited by redrock on
    Theovl316 wrote:

Yes it is because you chose a violent way of doing it. henceforth the reason put down or put to sleep as opposed to bein shot and killed. And again we are empathetic to what happend to your son, just not the way you chose to deal with your dog.

is it really tho?
    take your dog for a walk, on your own property....dog thinks it's just an enjoyable stroll at home, and then a shot.....done. or, take the dog in the car, to the vet...a place many animals - mine included - get very nervous and stressed about visiting......get placed on a table, more stress and then sure...a quick shot. me, no.....a gunshot would not be my first choice. mostly b/c i don't own a gun, don't know how to use one and don't want to. however, for people well versed and who can do a one-off death shot, i do not see it as 'violent'...it's as humane as an injection imo, and in some ways, better. differing perspectives.

it is completely sad that a beautiful and loving old dog had to be put down, and as difficult a decision as it is, i do believe once a dog bites, it is the right choice to put them down. tragic and horrible decision to make, but necessary. just my 0.02.

edit - redrock got to it first, quicker typist! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

That is all well and good, However, If I am not mistaken, in the "country" vets do often travel to the
    home to take caree of the animals...so that being said, using a needle instead of a bullet is a more humane.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Dude, my dog bit a drew severe blood from my 2 year olds face. UNPREVOKED! ( and you can scoff at that last remark all you like, but at 2 years old, my kid was never out of my sight and did nothing to prevove my dog,)

I asked my neighbor, a local farmer, who is a Roo shooter and Licenced Bore hunter, to come on over with his gear and execute an exact job I needed doing.

And with the money I saved from not using a Vet, paid for new school shoes x 4. :cry:

I never said it didn't hurt me doing that to Molly.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited April 2010
    Theovl316 wrote:
    ...so that being said, using a needle instead of a bullet is a more humane.

Not really. You may see it as more humane because of your sensitivities but I don't think it is - just more 'sanitized'.

And when I say 'country', it could be outback, etc. Not just pretty countryside.
    Post edited by redrock on
    Jo wrote:
    Dude, my dog bit a drew severe blood from my 2 year olds face. UNPREVOKED! ( and you can scoff at that last remark all you like, but at 2 years old, my kid was never out of my sight and did nothing to prevove my dog,)

I asked my neighbor, a local farmer, who is a Roo shooter and Licenced Bore hunter, to come on over with his gear and execute an exact job I needed doing.

And with the money I saved from not using a Vet, paid for new school shoes x 4. :cry:

Ask theovl316 where he was bitten by a dog...
    Jo wrote:

Again, I am not saying that you choice for putting the dog down was a bad one. Understood, He bit your child, Your 2 year old child, I would have my dog put down as well. Just not in the manner you did.
    Jo wrote:

Ask theovl316 where he was bitten by a dog...

LMAO :lol::lol: REALLY?? really? Ok to be fair I will be honest and say i was bitten by my next door neighbors bull dog....Do I really need to put the location of the bite??
    Theovl316 wrote:

LMAO :lol::lol: REALLY?? really? Ok to be fair I will be honest and say i was bitten by my next door neighbors bull dog....Do I really need to put the location of the bite??

They don't call ya 'ol One Ball for nothin'!
    Theovl316 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I was unaware....LOL
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

nope, i just hate dogs.

and i jump in and comment on every dog thread for parity... why are you doing it? you don't own a dog and you seem indifferent to them... so why bother? plus if i didn't jump in to every dog thread i'd be left with about two threads... the one about Ed looking hot and the other one about the moany guy with the fucking boring fence issues.... so dogs it is.

i always pegged you as a cat guy, eh dunk?
    www.myspace.com
    Theovl316 wrote:

He's Hitlers long lost son?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    1 year ago today :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014