For anyone who has ever had to put down their dog...

milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.vimeo.com/8191217

This video is incredibly honest and very sad. I don't recommend watching it if you can't handle something pretty emotional.
"The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    :(
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Goodbyes

Jerry was finally on the edge of a fitful sleep when his wife stomped through their living room. She shot a withering glance towards his blanketed form on the couch and then slipped into the deep purple light of first dawn, the front door slamming like a rifle report. The brief encounter had been his only contact with Sarah all day; a three second snippet stuck on constant rotation like holiday jingles.
    He was a bit surprised she had gone to work. After last night, he wasn’t sure if anyone would be in the proper mind frame to deal with stressed shoppers hunting for last-minute gifts. Jerry could picture his wife biting the head off some unsuspecting customer, but knowing her spiteful toad of a manager, he couldn’t imagine Sarah taking any chances.
    Jerry had called in sick despite having the entire next week off. They needed the money, but he made it a point to avoid spinning blades when exhausted. Over the years, he’d seen co-workers lose fingertips, entire digits, and once, even a hand. Besides, Jerry knew his boss would be willing to sign off on a smaller paycheck. A recent nosedive in the weak construction market had already brought mandatory furloughs to Dante’s Lumber Yard. Jerry was only scheduled for a half day and, although he didn’t like to take advantage, there was a solid chance Dante would pay him the hours anyway. They had grown up together in the Idaho logging town of Timberline and their families had been acquaintances for three generations.
    Standing at the kitchen window, Jerry digs a pack of Camel cigarettes out of his flannel shirt pocket and lights one. Yesterday had marked the end of ten days without smoking. Sarah had made it clear that it was an impossible habit to justify when they could barely afford to heat their house, but that hadn’t stopped him from taking a walk down to the corner Smoke N’ Suds. Not today.
    He looks at the clock on the stove. 5:49. The glowing green numbers are the only light in the room, barely enough to cast his ghostly reflection across the glass. Outside, it is dark and dumping snow. Although the driveway is less than thirty feet away, Jerry can barely see a vague outline of his battered Chevy S-10 through the thick flakes. The rest of the world has been swallowed by the storm. It has to be the roads, Jerry reasons. Otherwise, she would be home by now.
    The fight last night had been explosive, bordering on a physical confrontation. Jerry had never seen Sarah so close to hitting someone. He winces as he recalls her petite figure swelling with rage, her blue eyes turning black. He remembers the potted poinsettia that was supposed to serve as their Christmas tree smashing at his feet, showering his legs with shattered clay and damp soil. Jerry still hears the unbearable sound of his wife weeping behind a locked bathroom door.
    A broad-shouldered and shaggy Saint Bernard creeps into the kitchen, toenails clicking on the tiled floor. The animal turns his back to Jerry, sits at the side door of the house, and begins to whimper softly.
    “You too, Brutus?”
    Upon hearing his name, the giant dog offers Jerry a suspicious glance before returning his attention to the door.
    “You think I wanted that, huh? I didn’t have a choice, man. He was too far gone. I guess I should have let your mom take him in when we noticed the abscess... We can’t even afford your damn dog food!”
    Brutus doesn’t flinch. Jerry might as well be talking to himself.
    He thinks about the heavy Carhartt boot box resting on a work bench in their garage. The ground outside has been frozen for weeks; digging holes has to wait for spring. Time enough for him to carve a maple plaque with commemorative inscription at Dante’s shop. Sarah will like that.
    A haunted vision of trust-filled eyes floods his memory. He remembers the lurching metal in his hand, the acrid smell of burnt powder, and the black stain splashed across the evening snow. He remembers the conviction he was doing the right thing vanishing as quickly as the echoing blast. He remembers handing Sarah the collar and realization taking control of her eyes.
    Jerry takes another look at the clock and then back at their dog. The Saint Bernard raises a giant paw and places it on the doorknob. Jerry takes a last drag off his cigarette, slowly exhales the plume of smoke, and snuffs it out.
    “Goodbyes are important, Brutus. Don’t worry. She knows that.”
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    well with that disclaimer, who's actually going to watch it? :? :| :(
    i've had to sadly put down a few pets in my lifetimes. it is a gut-wrenching experience.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    well with that disclaimer, who's actually going to watch it? :? :| :(
    i've had to sadly put down a few pets in my lifetimes. it is a gut-wrenching experience.

I know- but I just want people to know what they are in for. It's sad, but it's worth it if you can feel something you can relate to.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    I've had to do it and there's no fucking way I'm clicking that link! So there. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    imalive wrote:
    I've had to do it and there's no fucking way I'm clicking that link! So there. ;)

I'm with you! :o
    Have 3 dogs now. When we lost our old fellow two years ago he went in his sleep, on a dog bed right beside my husband who was working on the computer. One big "woof" and he was gone before my husband could get his arms around him in a hug. Very peaceful for him, traumatic for us.

Can't possibly click on that link... :( :( :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    imalive wrote:

Have 3 dogs now. When we lost our old fellow two years ago he went in his sleep, on a dog bed right beside my husband who was working on the computer. One big "woof" and he was gone before my husband could get his arms around him in a hug. Very peaceful for him, traumatic for us.

come on over!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I hate thinking that one day I'll have to part ways with my precious Zeke. Oh how I wish he could live forever. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    my mom's friend betty just had her chow-chow Thai put to sleep & cremated.
    Thai was with betty since puppy-hood and lived about 17 years or so.
    chows are fantastic dogs.
    a one family dog; excellent guard dogs.

our chow's name was Chi.
    Chi ruled the world. ;)
    he loved snowdrifts and fighting other males dogs.
    no no no we never supported dog fighting.
    in the iowa country side dogs run amok.
    if another male dog came in Chi's yard or woods it was on.
    oh, and never go in Chi's corn field if you're a dude dog.
    if you're a chic dog Chi will fuck you well. :mrgreen:

Chi had a stroke and had to be put down behind the barn. (all i could do was dig the hole... prior)
    he lived a good life.

btw, Chi pulled a toboggan with us on it one at a time.(kids of course)
    fantastic dog.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    I don't need to watch it ....been there done that with my Mac 18 months ago. He had just had his 14th birthday 2 weeks before hand, and been for his last walk to the pony club and ride in the car to the newsagent the day before. On the sunday night/monday morning he had a stroke whilst sleeping and I woke to find my mum crying and supporting him ( a 63yo woman with a 30kg dog i her arms). He was my 16th birthday present and it shattered me and the whole family. He was a big part of our life, we knew it was coming, but nothing can prepare you for it. But at least when we took him to the vet and they gave him his needle, we knew he could rest and not be in pain. Still miss my big boy.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    had to put my childhood dog down on christmas morning 10 years ago.

needless to say that was....rough.
    www.myspace.com
  • I sometimes feel really guilty because I wept over our dog being put to sleep more than my Grandma passing away.

Sounds awful, doesn't it? But that fact is our dog, Lucky, was there for me every day. She was ready to welcome me home every day, ready to go for a walk with me, always had a way of coaxing me into sharing my food with her with just a look. She was a companion, a friend when I was alone – which was a lot. I had moments where I lost my temper with her when I really should have shown her the patience that she showed me. She had ways of making me laugh and seemed to know how I was feeling.

She was family and I miss her terribly. I can never own another dog, because I just don't think I could ever go through that pain again.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
    I sometimes feel really guilty because I wept over our dog being put to sleep more than my Grandma passing away.

Sounds awful, doesn't it?

No, completely understandable. People who don't have that kind of relationship with their animals probably won't get it, but the rest of us certainly do. Felt the same way when we lost our Seamus... we were lost for a long time and were very thankful we had the other two dogs to help us with that. Even so, everything was so different without his enormous personality.

When my Dad died, it was awful and too soon, but it was a release for him and he went the way he wanted too, peacefully at home with all of us there. It was his decision. And he too basically fell asleep and just didn't wake up. That was a comfort...

With our dogs, and especially when the compassionate intervention is euthanasia, we are making that choice for them. They are fully dependent on us to do the right thing for them. Childlike in a lot of ways. I can't imagine that it's ever an easy decision, no matter how much we know it's the only thing to do.

Different, but... the same. You know?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

come on over!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80212

THANK YOU! :D
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Just put down my Old puppy Buster a black lab. He was 16 years old.
    A part of out family, we were all there my wife and two kids. We all left crying.
    One of the toughest choices I had to make.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I just cried my eyes out right now.
    Watching that brought me back to almost a year ago, felt like I was there again.
    I was that guy in the video, and that was my family saying bye before taking our cat to the vet.
    Maybe I shouldn't have watched it.
    Poor Oden he looked so sad yet he was giving love back to his keepers one final time :(
    And people in my other thread are saying that wouldn't try save their pet dog?

:(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I sometimes feel really guilty because I wept over our dog being put to sleep more than my Grandma passing away.

Sounds awful, doesn't it? But that fact is our dog, Lucky, was there for me every day. She was ready to welcome me home every day, ready to go for a walk with me, always had a way of coaxing me into sharing my food with her with just a look. She was a companion, a friend when I was alone – which was a lot. I had moments where I lost my temper with her when I really should have shown her the patience that she showed me. She had ways of making me laugh and seemed to know how I was feeling.

She was family and I miss her terribly. I can never own another dog, because I just don't think I could ever go through that pain again.

I feel what you feel, I cannot get another cat, just won't be right and don't want to go through this again.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,697
    Could never click on that link. I know what I went through a yr ago when I thought I was going to have to put my big buddy down. Best part was I didn't have to..just ended up that he ate a sock and couldn't pass it or throw it up..he eventually threw it up after 3 days.
    But, my golden retriever is 12 yrs old and I know that his day will be here eventually. His hips are still ok at the moment....but you can see they are getting worse. The one thing I don't want him to do is live in a whole lot of pain. I'm sure I'll be a mess...had since he was 3 months old. Makes me sad even thinking about this while I'm typing...outta here
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    "Its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
    this also from a pets point of view.
    The time we have with our beloved pets is short, even those that live long full lives.
    My wish would be all pets could be loved but we know only the lucky ones are.
    My wish would be that all humans would love just one animal within their lifetime but we know only the lucky humans know this love.
    Embrace the passing of a beloved best friend by celebrating the love you shared, not the loss.
    This love will stay with you forever.
    Don't be afraid to make another pet and yourself very lucky with new love.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I had to put a mom and daughter down within 6 months of each other... the hardest thing in my life... :( at that point, I said no more dogs, well within 2 months later I got my JRT, and now we have another dog...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I've had to put two dogs down and it never gets easy.

I can't even watch the end of Marley and Me.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

that movie should come with a warning, my hubby and I cried like babies :cry:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    pandora wrote:

i was told emphatically not to watch that movie or read the book for that matter...but one day, it came on and i started watching...i can't help it, jennifer aniston is just too easy on the eyes ;) :P

needless to say, i was a mess after watching it :cry:
    norm wrote:
    pandora wrote:

i was told emphatically not to watch that movie or read the book for that matter...but one day, it came on and i started watching...i can't help it, jennifer aniston is just too easy on the eyes ;) :P

needless to say, i was a mess after watching it :cry:

I'm again watching it now on HBO. But I will turn it off when they move into that last house.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I had to put our dog down.

I rescued her as a pup and she had grown up with our 4 boys.
    Until one day she turned around and bit one of my Sons on his face and drawing severe blood.

she was a 12 year old dog, and I could see she was ' losing her mind'.

That afternoon, I gave instructions for my dog to be put on the leash and lead down the back paddock and shot in the head and burried.

I had 4 young children, if that dog had bitten any lower on my son, he would have bled to death, so why would I take the chance to see if the dog does it again?.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Jo wrote:

Until one day she turned around and bit one of my Sons on his face and drawing severe blood.

That afternoon, I gave instructions for my dog to be put on the leash and lead down the back paddock and shot in the head and burried.

I had 4 young children, if that dog had bitten any lower on my son, he would have bled to death, so why would I take the chance to see if the dog does it again?.

I think the vet would have done a much more humane way of putting your dog down. Unless you just wanted revenge then I guess shooting him is justified in your eyes.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Jo wrote:

Um... I'm somewhat horrified here. After raising from puppyhood, having 12 years and presumably no problems, and when she's possibly a little old and cranky dealing with four little kids she gets a gunshot to the head?!?
    :cry:
    (This is written by someone who was bitten in the face and leg by a friend's 120 lb dog a couple of years ago, so please don't think I'm not empathetic to your son's trauma... it's an awful experience)
    I always get alittle sad when I see this thread.
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I had to do it to my beloved bulldog who attacked a kid......she was 1 :cry:
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Marley and Me is my favourite comedy.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.