newark hotel rooms or stay in manhattan instead?

pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
edited April 2010 in The Porch
so i got ticket for both msg shows, gonna stay in holiday inn express like 2 blocks from msg

coming in from philly by amtrak.

now for this newark show, is it a good idea . people who live in ny city area id like to hear from. is it good you think to rent hotel for 1 day in newark day of show, then go to manhattan

or how far is it from train from penn station in manhattan to newark, and how long do the trains run at night 24 hours? is it feasible to rent in manhattan near msg, the day of the newark show, and make it to newark and back to my hotel in manhttan same night without problems?

and if i was to take taxi from newark to manhattan how much that gonna cost? does the metro trains for ny city nj metro area run 24 hours??

wondering what better to stay in manhattan 4 nights, or rent 1 day in newark and 3 in manhattan???????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    i wouldn't stay in newark
    i'd either stay in the city or jersey city waterfront (someone got the westin for $90-super sweet deal)

path train runs through both and runs 24/7 (a couple blocks walk to the prudential center)
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • JW0422JW0422 Posts: 170
    I would stay in NY if you already booked a room just take the path train in to newark from port authority or from penn station which is under MSG. Not sure of any good hotels near newark or even in newark that i would stay at and I live in new jersey!
  • JW0422JW0422 Posts: 170
    PS I dont believe that the path trains run 24/7 i am pretty sure they do not but you can check on that for your self!
    JW0422 wrote:
    PS I dont believe that the path trains run 24/7 i am pretty sure they do not but you can check on that for your self!

the path does run 24/7
    JW0422 wrote:
    I would stay in NY if you already booked a room just take the path train in to newark from port authority or from penn station which is under MSG. Not sure of any good hotels near newark or even in newark that i would stay at and I live in new jersey!

furthest midtown path stop is 33rd and 6th, not msg (1block east) or port authority
    nj transit trains run from msg (which can also take you to newark penn station for more $)
    nj transit buses run from port authority
  • welcome to hotel Newark....please enjoy your stay. :lol::lol:

bronx.jpg
  • FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Support my local economy and stay at the Hyatt in new brunswick, NJ. Great dining and bar options and is only a 20 minute train ride to the pru center.
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Yeah, I would get back into the City and stay here... it's 20mins to Penn Station from Newark, so it's really quick. I guess it really depends on a hotel deal you can get... but you may as well stay in Manhattan if you're going to be there for the MSG shows ;)

Don't take a cab in or out of Manhattan from Jersey... they cost you about $60 and there's no need since you can get NJ Transit which will be faster anyway cause it doesn't have to deal with that horrendous traffic trying to get in!
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • This is the deal for Newark hotels in my humble opinion (I work two blocks from the arena).

There are 2 within easy and safe walking distance.
    1- Hilton (at the train station)
    2- Best Western (Robert Treat)

The Hilton is a typical 3/4 star business hotel and is three blocks from the arena and 500 feet from the train station.
    The Robert Treat is not as nice (2 star at best, small rooms) but perfectly fine for one night and is 4 blocks away, directly across the street from NJPAC (where EV played in 2008).

The other two in-town Newark hotels are the Hampton Inn (very nice, just a bit too far to walk but maybe a 5 minute cab ride) and the Comfort Inn (not bad at all, about the same distance as the Hampton). I've stayed at all 4 of these in the last several years.

Your next best bet is the Newark Airport area and there are multiple 2, 3 and 4 star hotels there and are all at most a 10 minute drive or cab ride. The airport hotels can often be had pretty cheap via Priceline.

That's what I know. Staying in Manhattan is obviously an option as it's a 15 min train ride away from Newark. Staying elsewhere in North Jersey could be a big hassle traffic-wise if you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck and see ya there!
  • im confused a little, i never been to ny city, only drove through bronx on highway

anyway both train stations are called penn station? the one in ny city manhattan, and newark are both called penn station? cause i know the one next to msg, is penn station right? is the one in newark also called this

so if i catch the path train in msg manhattan it will take me to prudential in newark to newark penn station? how much does it cost anyone know?

are cabs in ny city expensive? im guessing this is too costly from newark to manhattan? can i get there within 40 bucks by cab?
  • Tone wrote:
    Yeah, I would get back into the City and stay here... it's 20mins to Penn Station from Newark, so it's really quick. I guess it really depends on a hotel deal you can get... but you may as well stay in Manhattan if you're going to be there for the MSG shows ;)

Don't take a cab in or out of Manhattan from Jersey... they cost you about $60 and there's no need since you can get NJ Transit which will be faster anyway cause it doesn't have to deal with that horrendous traffic trying to get in!

good to know. so it is the path train its called? is it part of nj transit authority? and what the price on it, and do they hold alot of people that you dont have to worry about them selling out after a big show, if everyone is newark pj show plans to come back to manhattan, the trains big enough to fit alot of people?
  • does anyone have hotel prices for the good hotels in newark?

i am paying almost 5 bills for 2 nights in manhattan holiday inn, can i cut my expense in half for 2 days in newark, like get room for 100 a night

i know someone said jersey city for 90, is anything else?
  • how would one go from jersey city to newark, the train good for that location too?
    im confused a little, i never been to ny city, only drove through bronx on highway

anyway both train stations are called penn station? the one in ny city manhattan, and newark are both called penn station? cause i know the one next to msg, is penn station right? is the one in newark also called this

so if i catch the path train in msg manhattan it will take me to prudential in newark to newark penn station? how much does it cost anyone know?

are cabs in ny city expensive? im guessing this is too costly from newark to manhattan? can i get there within 40 bucks by cab?

yes, newark penn station = jersey, penn station = manhattan
    path train is one block away from manhattan penn station and will cost you $1.75
    penn station manhattan is 33rd/7th avenue...path train station is 33rd and 6th avenue
    y'll have to change at grove street to catch train to newark penn station (33rd street line goes as far as journal sq) its easy, same track, just different train line
    cab will be more then $40, you might be able to get a car service for less then a cab but it'll still be more then $40 since y'll be charged tolls + tunnel + fare
    how would one go from jersey city to newark, the train good for that location too?

if y're staying on jersey city waterfront yes the path stops there before newark
    theres a hyatt at exchange place on same newark line so no changing trains
    there's a westin at pavonia/newport stop on same line as 33rd street manhattan line so you'd change at grove street stop (coming and going) from newark (same as if ur staying in manhattan)
    does anyone have hotel prices for the good hotels in newark?

i am paying almost 5 bills for 2 nights in manhattan holiday inn, can i cut my expense in half for 2 days in newark, like get room for 100 a night

i know someone said jersey city for 90, is anything else?

90 was priceline score, usual rate is more like $200
    so it is the path train its called? is it part of nj transit authority? and what the price on it, and do they hold alot of people that you dont have to worry about them selling out after a big show, if everyone is newark pj show plans to come back to manhattan, the trains big enough to fit alot of people?[/quote]

path trains and nj transit trains are different
    path is like jersey's version of the nyc subway (or ch-town's l, or bean towns t) and primarily below ground
    nj transit is commuter train line that goes further out suburbs and primarly above ground and more $ (but not as $ as say amtrak)

no worries on path selling out, just might be crowded, in which case you can wait for the next one but usually you just deal with it and r a sardine for 20 mins
  • I would recommend the Jersey City waterfront or Hoboken. Only one hotel in Hoboken and it is a W, so that option is probably not going to be cost effective. There are deals to be had on the Jersey City waterfront though. Then it is just a mater of taking the PATH train out to Newark. Hope that helps.
    "When a person's soul is born in a country, nets are flung at it to hold it back from flight. You speak to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly past those nets." - James Joyce
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PATH=Port Authority Trans-Hudson [River]

Don't stay in Newark. I'm not hating on it. My whole family is from there but if you're from out of town it can be a (very) rough area.

Don't stay in New Brunswick. Too far (20 minutes as claimed above is pushing it). Plus it just flat out makes no sense.

Stay in Jersey City by the water/Journal Square area or Hoboken.

Or, of course, NY.
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    anyone book any hotels yet for the 18th?
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    So if I have to fly home the next morning out of Newark, where would everyone recommend? I was just going to stay close to the venue, but since I can't walk to it anyway should I try staying somewhere 5-10 miles away that's nicer? Is there a place like that? :)
    There will be plenty of trains. NJ Transit has long trains plus they sometimes put on extra service when there are games and shows (but generally that's for the big stadium shows). PATH is also regular. Personally I'll be going NJ Transit just cause it works better with where I live ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
    drsluggo wrote:
    So if I have to fly home the next morning out of Newark, where would everyone recommend? I was just going to stay close to the venue, but since I can't walk to it anyway should I try staying somewhere 5-10 miles away that's nicer? Is there a place like that? :)

Maybe stay near the airport then? I don't know... if you're flying out the following morning that may be better for you.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Tone wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

Maybe stay near the airport then? I don't know... if you're flying out the following morning that may be better for you.
    It seems like the ones that are considered airport hotels are in Elizabeth -- does that sound right? Anyone know if that area is OK? I'm assuming it would be since its an airport area, but here in Chicago that's not always true. :)
    drsluggo wrote:
    Tone wrote:
    drsluggo wrote:

It seems like the ones that are considered airport hotels are in Elizabeth -- does that sound right? Anyone know if that area is OK? I'm assuming it would be since its an airport area, but here in Chicago that's not always true. :)

nothing will be around you, so you'd be cabbing it to/from the venue if you dont have a car
    i'd still say stay in jersy city waterfront hotel (pavonia/newport or exchange place) where you can catch the path to the concert and also to the airport
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    If anyone is interested, I've got a rate of $145 for the Hilton Newark Penn Station for May 18...VERY limited, so let me know if you need a room!!!

Janet Office: 610-375-8125
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    here is my 2 cents, if anyone can let me know how this will work id appreciate it.

im coming in from tx, flying into ny on 5-17. have a hotel for 5-17 - 5-23 at the Wyndham at 341 36 st (about half mile from msg)

so, since my gf is disabled, i was planning on
    taking a car service from hotel in ny to newark. no problem, but, any one know how i would arrange for the same company to get us afterward?

then, walking from hotel to msg on both nights. would it be hard (if needed) to get a cab after the msg shows back to hotel?

i think i have it planned relatively easy, but, im not from ny so im just feeling it out now.

Whats your thoughts?
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6

35 Shows; 1040 Songs
  • teflonsteveteflonsteve Posts: 275
    I stayed in Jersey City last year for the Springsteen @ Giants Stadium shows and it was very convenient. PATH trains running from Newark to NYC run through Jersey City with 2-3 stops from memory. It was also very cheap, in the 2-3 dollar range. I took the train from Newport/Pavonia to the Prudential Center for a Devils/Isles preseason game and it was quick and easy. Once you get off the train in Newark you'll be basically at the prudential center.
    9/20/05 - Quebec City
    9/22/05 - Halifax
    6/19/08 - Camden 
    6/28/08 - Mansfield 
    9/07/11 - Montreal
    5/05/16 - Quebec City
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    nj transit late night can be sporadic
    path is great although it is like a subway
    stay in NYC
    that way you can get korean BBQ at 2 am round the corner from the hotel

I suggest the bulgogi and the kalpi with a round of sake or shochu