Options

Any luck with weight gainers?

spatspat Posts: 644
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
trust me, all you people trying to lose weight, us folk who can't seem to put on pounds, no matter how much we eat, isn't all its cracked up to be! I've always been underweight my whole life, and i'm tired of it. Is there anyone else in my position who has tried these weight gain powders with any luck? I was looking around online and there's so freakin' many to choose from. right now i'm just looking to put on 15-20 lbs, not interested in becoming a muscle head. Thanks!
My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,793
    Go to McDonalds, have a double quarter pounder with cheese, and a large fry....

Do the same thing, every day for 2-3 months.....

You will gain all the weight you want.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691

Just ask Morgan Spurlock.

Oh and schedule your Dr. appt now. hehe
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500

And have clogged arteries and possibly a heart attack :D
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I have two words of advice: donut milkshake.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    weight gainers are crap they are almost all sugar. eat more meals throughout the day.. it makes eating more easier so you dont have to eat till you practically feel sick at each meal. you can throw in a shot glass of olive oil at the end or 1 or 2 of those meals and thats like an extra 300 cal right there.. not the best tasteing but very simple.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• Options
    FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    ActionJack wrote:
    weight gainers are crap they are almost all sugar. eat more meals throughout the day.. it makes eating more easier so you dont have to eat till you practically feel sick at each meal. you can throw in a shot glass of olive oil at the end or 1 or 2 of those meals and thats like an extra 300 cal right there.. not the best tasteing but very simple.

This....

You need to eat more. What are you stats? I can help you with this via PM or here if you want.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Are you trying to gain fat or muscle?

If muscle, you will need to exercise, but not too much. Resistance, low reps, a few times a week. If you run, try not to run too much. Eat frequent high protein meals.

If gaining fat, well,.. gorge on fast food twice a day and stick to the couch.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I try to avoid weight gainers, as they are pretty expensive for a small amount of servings.

If you are trying to put on weight/muscle, first step is to EAT big time. At least 500 calories above your daily maintenance level as a starting point.....lots of milk, eggs, peanut butter, nuts, breads, etc...

The real choice for me is always between doing a clean bulk or a dirty one.........ie being focused on gaining healthy or just eating everything in sight.

Forums on bodybuilding.com have pretty good info for bulking tips
  • Options
    thanks for the advice guys, trust me, I eat when I can as much as I can, I have my 3 meals plus snacks in between. Like I said I'm just looking to put on some fat to fill me out for now, muscle later, but not the unhealthy fat, and as for fast food, if I have that 2 days in a row i feel sick!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I have two words of advice: donut milkshake.
    Sounds good. Can I get mine with bacon?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    wait... why would you WANT to put on fat??

• Options
    ActionJack wrote:

i think being 6'2" 150lbs calls for a few extra pounds ;)
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    spat wrote:
    thanks for the advice guys, trust me, I eat when I can as much as I can, I have my 3 meals plus snacks in between. Like I said I'm just looking to put on some fat to fill me out for now, muscle later, but not the unhealthy fat, and as for fast food, if I have that 2 days in a row i feel sick!

Insulin is the fat storing hormone, it is mostly released when you eat carbohydrate food (which is converted and stored as fat) - ergo, if you want to put on fat eat lots and lots of carbs. Not sure exactly what you mean by "not the unhealthy fat" to be honest. If you want to put on 15-20 lbs of fat, it will be unhealthy, no doubt about it. As somebody else said, if you know your body fat %, there is a forumla you can use to get a fairly accurate idea of how many calories you burn a day, and then you just need to make sure you are eating over that amount, rather than second guessing it. I tried to put weight on for years but never bothered to count the calories in what I was eating, and didn't put on a pound. But as soon as I actually took the time to work out my energy needs, putting on weight was pretty simple.
  • Options
    spat wrote:

at 6'2, 150, I'd say to keep your calories above 3000, and have your "goal" as 3500-4000 per day. And more is better than less!

Peanut Butter helps alot.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    just curious how old are you?

when I graduated HS (1986) I was about 150, I lifted and ate similar to one of the posters above: 5-6 meals per day, high calorie shakes, etc. It took a while, but I finally I topped out at 205 and it was real tough to maintain that. after dieting down to 155 to enter a bodybuilding contest, I let my weight drift to a more comfortable 175 by eating a healthy diet. Without trying, I stayed at that weight for about 15 years. Last few years I have not been able to work out as much so now I am around 185.
  • Options
    spat wrote:
    ActionJack wrote:

i think being 6'2" 150lbs calls for a few extra pounds ;)
    yes i agree but in the form of muscle. Dont get caught up with weight its a useless number. Body composition is the name of the game. adding pure fat just makes you look worse. why not muscle now?

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    http://whateves.com/wordpress/wp-conten ... dwich1.jpg

DOUBLE DOWN :shock:

thank god they have a grilled version for us health conscious folks :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    spat wrote:
    trust me, all you people trying to lose weight, us folk who can't seem to put on pounds, no matter how much we eat, isn't all its cracked up to be! I've always been underweight my whole life, and i'm tired of it. Is there anyone else in my position who has tried these weight gain powders with any luck? I was looking around online and there's so freakin' many to choose from. right now i'm just looking to put on 15-20 lbs, not interested in becoming a muscle head. Thanks!

I was forced by my doctors to gain wait as a kid. They had me drink milk shakes made with ice cream and Carnation Instant Breakfast. It worked.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    peanut butter, olive oil. yogurt, nuts, cheesecake, cheese, juice w/ pulp, wine

eat late at night or before bed.
    Never drink water, only juice or liquid with calories
    eat while watching TV and eat quickly to zone out on portion control and filling up.

and remember that weight lifting is going to boost your metabolism.

basically do everything Dr. Oz tells his viewers not to do.

and learn how to count calories, no guessing or assuming.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    spat wrote:

wait.................wait....you are looking to add fat???? :wtf:

HUH?!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    spat wrote:

Go to Croatia like I did for 6 weeks last year, you will put on 6kg's like I did.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I have two sons around your height/weight, one is 6'2" and 160# and the other is 6'3" 145#.....neither is too thin for their age and build. As long as you are healthy, you should continue to eat well to appetite and exercise, you will maintain a weight that is right for you.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Well I'm no expert but I recently approached the owner of my gym to ask about putting on weight as I had lost a bit of weight that I didnt want to. I'm a runner and just hadnt realised how much calories I was burning up on the runs (last run I burned 1000)...I also wanted to bulk up a bit (yes I know both running and weight gain are difficult) but he said its all down to diet and when I took his advice I've put on 9lbs in 2 weeks, well happy at that!

so my avg daily diet is this:

Breakfast:
    2 weetabix with full fat milk, 2 slices of brown bread and protein shake

mid morning:
    100g of tuna with 200g of pinapple + glass of full fat milk

Lunch:
    2 salmon sandwiches on brown bread + glass of full fat milk

Mid afternoon:
    100g of tuna with 200g of pinapple + glass of full fat milk

Dinner:
    My usual meat and 2 veg dinner + glass of milk (and desert if I want it)

supper:
    4 eggs + glass of full fat milk

It was really tough to start but I'm kinda into it now (well not today as I had a shit load of pints last night).
    Best of luck
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    I am 6'2" and weigh 87kg's almost.
    I want to put on muscle so I can hit 97kg's!
    I tried at gym and didn't put nothing on, just lost fat and motivation, will to continue.
    I don't think I will renew my gym membership, no motivation!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I am 6'2" and weigh 87kg's almost.
    I want to put on muscle so I can hit 97kg's!
    I tried at gym and didn't put nothing on, just lost fat and motivation, will to continue.
    I don't think I will renew my gym membership, no motivation!

MAN UP AND EAT!!!!!!!! That's why you didn't gain muscle. Do more compound lifts and do less cardio. If you need help ask me on here or by PM.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    FirstExit wrote:
    ActionJack wrote:

This....

You need to eat more. What are you stats? I can help you with this via PM or here if you want.
    These guys know.

Turn your snacks that you're eating in between meals into bigger snacks. Eat every 3 hours, up to 6 times a day.
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    you pretty much have to eat non stop to mantain. i weighed 195 and ate like 3500 calories a day and got up to around 203 after 6 weeks. then i went back to eating normal and am back down to 198 after a month. pretty sure you can't stop the intake or you're body goes back to your destined size
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Get some weed and move to within a block of a 7-11.
  • Options
    ok to answer a few questions, i'm 30 years old. i kept telling myself when i was a teenager, ohhh by the time you're 25-30 your metabolism will slow down and you'll start to fill out...still waiting for that! and by saying i want to add fat, i don't mean i want to GET FAT, just enough to fill me out, then start working out to build some muscle, cuz i'm afraid if i hit the gym right away it'll just burn off any calories i do put on, right?
  • Options
    I used to be skinny as a teen, filled out nice once I hit 19-20.
    Went up 10kg or so.