Not a plane to be seen...

edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
It's weird. You look up at a blue sky and white clouds and the only other thing in the sky is birds.

I've never witnessed this before and probably won't again. Apparently, they've put all flights back until 1.00am on Saturday now, but there's no guarantee that the ash cloud will have dissipated by then.

It's as if Earth's said "Ok, fuck you lot, you've polluted me for long enough, so I'm gonna cause you some grief now!"
It's gonna be a glorious day...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I should have landed in Turkey 10 minutes ago but am at home working. Hopefully I'll fly out sometime tomorrow or Sunday. And trying to get info out of the airlines is a joke. :(
  • The back-log on flights is going to be a nightmare. Let's just hope that they had some contigency plans in place for just this type of scenario.

But, I doubt it.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    nuffingman wrote:
    I should have landed in Turkey 10 minutes ago but am at home working. Hopefully I'll fly out sometime tomorrow or Sunday. And trying to get info out of the airlines is a joke. :(

Well it's not like they have any information, they really have no idea when they will be cleared to fly - they don't know how long this ash cloud will be up there hanging around.

From what I hear happens to a plane that flies through one of those ash clouds, be happy they didn't risk it
    The back-log on flights is going to be a nightmare. Let's just hope that they had some contigency plans in place for just this type of scenario.

But, I doubt it.
    I doubt it too. Even when they open the airspace it's going to be chaos. Planes are in the wrong place for starters. Mine is in Turkey trying to come over here so F knows when I'll go.

I saw that a plane landed at Glasgow from the US last night and the passengers were being bussed to Gatwick. It'll take longer than the flight. Nightmare!!!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    just need the sky be clear from 20th june-11th july :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Ireland opened back up?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    nuffingman wrote:

Well it's not like they have any information, they really have no idea when they will be cleared to fly - they don't know how long this ash cloud will be up there hanging around.

From what I hear happens to a plane that flies through one of those ash clouds, be happy they didn't risk it
    I agree but they don't have the basic info. I spoke to someone and asked if my plane was in the UK or trying to get in and she didn't know. They're only a small airline so that info should be known. Took me until this morning to find out. I called them because they didn't reply to 3 emails.

As for when the sky clears we're in the lap of the Gods.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    nuffingman wrote:
    The back-log on flights is going to be a nightmare. Let's just hope that they had some contigency plans in place for just this type of scenario.

But, I doubt it.
    I doubt it too. Even when they open the airspace it's going to be chaos. Planes are in the wrong place for starters. Mine is in Turkey trying to come over here so F knows when I'll go.

I saw that a plane landed at Glasgow from the US last night and the passengers were being bussed to Gatwick. It'll take longer than the flight. Nightmare!!!

a contingency plan in the event of a volcanic eruption??? probably never entered their mind. i heard this volcano apparently hasnt erupted for 200 years.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    nuffingman wrote:

But, I doubt it.

a contingency plan in the event of a volcanic eruption??? probably never entered their mind. i heard this volcano apparently hasnt erupted for 200 years.
    Yep. I'm not sure what a contingency plan could be. How do you anticipate this?
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wow, it reminds me of just after 9/11/2001 here in USA and all planes were grounded, it was very eery not having any planes in the sky, then panic when a military fighter would fly by.
    nuffingman wrote:
    Yep. I'm not sure what a contingency plan could be. How do you anticipate this?

you cant.

i love when mother nature gives us the finger and were helpless to deal. shes very cool. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    nuffingman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

I agree but they don't have the basic info. I spoke to someone and asked if my plane was in the UK or trying to get in and she didn't know. They're only a small airline so that info should be known. Took me until this morning to find out. I called them because they didn't reply to 3 emails.

As for when the sky clears we're in the lap of the Gods.

Yeah that is a different story
    Suspension of all flights until 13.00 Sunday 18 April. The just add on 6 hours every time they review the situation.

I think this is going to go on for quite a while. My wife works at a local executive jet airport and the guys there won't be surprised if nothing takes off for about 4 days.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    this entire thing is nuts!
    mother nature, doin her thang.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    earth quakes, volcanoes
    what's next?

btw, mind boggling how much fuel isn't being used up as the planes sit
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    wow, it reminds me of just after 9/11/2001 here in USA and all planes were grounded, it was very eery not having any planes in the sky, then panic when a military fighter would fly by.

Yeah, I remember that night living on L.I. about 20 miles away from NYC proper, and with JFK and LGA not too far away... and no planes, except for the AWAX plane flying cover overhead.

Luckily, this is for a much more understandable reason. I hope everyone isn't too inconvenienced by the volcano.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    just heard on the news that byu the end of today 63000 flights will have been cancelled because of this. there is also some conjecture as to whether this shutdown was absolutely necessary to the extent it was.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I live near the airport, haven't seen any big roaring Boeing's fly over my house for a week now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Very quiet here too. Heard a "volcano expert" on the radio this morning and he reckons it's a huge over-reaction. Apparently they have done test flights over the weekend and all planes came off AOK...mustn't have been QANTAS planes they were using then! :lol::lol:
  • I have also been hearing it was an over reaction but perhaps if they hadn't done anything and something happened, they would be blaming them for that too. I have friends that were supposed to be back in Canada today and probably won't be back until Thursday at the earliest. Crazy.

I fly to Europe in five weeks so hopefully it is sorted by then. :?
    Very quiet here too. Heard a "volcano expert" on the radio this morning and he reckons it's a huge over-reaction. Apparently they have done test flights over the weekend and all planes came off AOK...mustn't have been QANTAS planes they were using then! :lol::lol:

perhaps they shoulda used QANTAS planes, cause we as we know QANTAS never crashes. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054

perhaps they shoulda used QANTAS planes, cause we as we know QANTAS never crashes. ;):lol:

Because they can't get them :lol: off the ground!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I read an article with some expert saying this volcano could keep erupting for the next few months.
    I hope not, flying to Europe in August :?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I know this is causing heartache for those wishing to travel but......

I enjoyed the sunshine in my garden over the week-end with NO AIRCRAFT NOISE!!!!! It was bliss.
    redrock wrote:

I enjoyed the sunshine in my garden over the week-end with NO AIRCRAFT NOISE!!!!! It was bliss.
    i wish i could say the same..those fighters never stop in the base.. :evil:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • It's just be on the news than the Met Office have said the ash cloud may reach the East Coast of America by 18;00 GMT. If the clouds spreads over Eastern America, how many more flights is that going to cancel?!

I think Mother Nature's fighting back against us!! :lol:
    just heard on the news that byu the end of today 63000 flights will have been cancelled because of this. there is also some conjecture as to whether this shutdown was absolutely necessary to the extent it was.
    Well I can't remember when a previous volcanic eruption caused so many problems. It's typical of the elf and safety mentality we have that prevents anyone having the balls to admit it's over reaction. Airlines were running test flights at the weekend and finding no problems. Nobody wants to be the first to admit it's OK to go and they want someone to blame if there is a problem.
  • surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    Better to be cautious though, it has happened before where a plane went through an ash cloud and all 4 engines went.
    I know I wouldn't want to risk it just so I could go on holiday.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    redrock wrote:

Just read that a couple of fighters got into trouble (not sure where). Maybe they'll stop a bit where you are!
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Just read that a couple of fighters got into trouble (not sure where). Maybe they'll stop a bit where you are!
    ,isnt here,i would be the first to know :) .fighter has different engine that the normal planes
    +fighters normaly fly lower than the others