TM Paperless tickets

Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Why hasn't PJ embraced this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    Because the paperless system does not stop scalping. In fact it encourages you to scalp through TM. Also it's not paperless.

q
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://www.ticketmaster.com/paperless

According to ticketmaster website it seems like it could cut down on scalping.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The StugotsThe Stugots Posts: 306
    Because the paperless system does not stop scalping. In fact it encourages you to scalp through TM. Also it's not paperless.

q

How does it encourage scalping? Unless I'm not understanding the system, you need an ID and the CC used to purchase the tickets as you enter the venue. I imagine the biggest reason PJ isn't embracing it is since not every venue is ready to work with the system.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860

q

How does it encourage scalping? Unless I'm not understanding the system, you need an ID and the CC used to purchase the tickets as you enter the venue. I imagine the biggest reason PJ isn't embracing it is since not every venue is ready to work with the system.
    yea i dont think it encourages scalping either unless the scalper is also into credit card fraud also. but this is a really intellegent idea. you can only get in with the credit card and a photo id as well....at no point do you recieve a ticket to give to someone else. i hate to say this, but good job ticket master
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • but i want my ticket stub, damn it!
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    edited April 2010
    When I bought tickets for the Airborne Toxic Event at the Trocadero in Philly, they wouldn't mail me a ticket. I had to go to will call the night of the show with an ID and CC# that purchased the tickets. Upon entering, they handed me a ticket and tore the stub.

Fucking A - great system if they cam pull it off.
    Post edited by BM42909 on
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    Jack Johnson did it for his upcoming summer msg show. Also, I like that his show has a GA pit instead of sections 1-4.
  • joesan77joesan77 Posts: 24

q

I'm no pro on this, but recently tried to get rid of paperless tickets to KOL in Toronto because a buddy got floors and offered to take me. You can resell them, but only through TM's TicketsNow site. Now, in Ontario there are laws about selling for more than face value, so TicketsNow will only let you resell for the face value of the tickets. It's great for TM, as they essentially get to ding two people with convenince fees, (the original buyer and then the new buyer).

In jurastictions where you are allowed to sell for more than face I could see the paperless ticket market being a windfall for TM, as they are essentially monopolizing the secondary market.

Just my two cents.
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    Every "paperless ticket" concert I have gone to has had scalpers standing by the gates or where you are supposed to swipe your card. They just stand there waiting to meet their customers who have already paid the scalper a shit load of money. The scalper swipes his own credit card and hands his customer the little paper slip which contains your seat location. The venue workers don't seem to care who goes in. Hence until venues and TM work together, the scalping of paperless tickets will continue. Furthermore, as was mentioned as soon as you purchase paperless tickets online with TM you are offered a chance to sell your tickets on TM's ticketsnow and transfer the name and card. So I fail to see how this is stopping scalping.

q
  • camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Why hasn't PJ embraced this?

because part of the proceeds of scalping goes directly to pj...
    i like sound...
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Every "paperless ticket" concert I have gone to has had scalpers standing by the gates or where you are supposed to swipe your card. They just stand there waiting to meet their customers who have already paid the scalper a shit load of money. The scalper swipes his own credit card and hands his customer the little paper slip which contains your seat location. The venue workers don't seem to care who goes in. Hence until venues and TM work together, the scalping of paperless tickets will continue. Furthermore, as was mentioned as soon as you purchase paperless tickets online with TM you are offered a chance to sell your tickets on TM's ticketsnow and transfer the name and card. So I fail to see how this is stopping scalping.

q

It doesn't completely stop scalping, but it greatly reduces it.

Like you said, the scalper has to actually show up to the venue. With paper/hard tickets, he/she could be in California and scalp tickets to events to NYC with no problem.

The other thing ticketing agencies need to start doing is having a limit of 2 or 4 tickets -- it's insane that you can often buy 8 to popular events.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."

q

Venue workers are at fault for selling x amount of posters, or letting scalpers slide their credit cards, and even selling ten club tickets. But, they make what...$10-20 bucks an hour, it's awfully tempting for them.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    BM42909 wrote:
    When I bought tickets for the Airborne Toxic Event at the Trocadero in Philly, they wouldn't mail me a ticket. I had to go to will call the night of the show with an ID and CC# that purchased the tickets. Upon entering, they handed me a ticket and tore the stub.

Fucking A - great system if they cam pull it off.

that's not a paperless ticket...you just had to pick up your ticket at will call
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

q

It doesn't completely stop scalping, but it greatly reduces it.

Like you said, the scalper has to actually show up to the venue. With paper/hard tickets, he/she could be in California and scalp tickets to events to NYC with no problem.

The other thing ticketing agencies need to start doing is having a limit of 2 or 4 tickets -- it's insane that you can often buy 8 to popular events.

I agree....doesn't stop it completely but certainly helps reduce it

I've had the paperless tickets before and had no problem with it so I support it and trying to make it work

and they do need to reduce the ticket limit
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Atoms For Peace in NYC last week was paperless. You literally walked up to the door and they swiped your credit card and you went right in. It was paperless. I'm sure scalpers find a way around it but it probably significantly cuts down on scalping.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    How does it work when you buy tickets months in advance and then have a conflict or whatever reason and you can't go. Today, you can utlize craigslist, etc and get rid of the tickets. Under the paperless system you are out $$ - correct? Also, I believe the person whose credit card is used has to be the one picking up the tickets........

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

How does it work when you buy tickets months in advance and then have a conflict or whatever reason and you can't go. Today, you can utlize craigslist, etc and get rid of the tickets. Under the paperless system you are out $$ - correct? Also, I believe the person whose credit card is used has to be the one picking up the tickets........

With paperless you can transfer your tix. check out the TM site.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    i am a big fan of paperless tickets for some sections of the venue. and i also don't know why PJ haven't gone that route(for some sections)

it absolutely cuts down on scalping

acdc mayer springsteen have all done it with success
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,838
    sounds good in theory

but imagine the bottleneck at 745 pm for a PJ show

and no ticket stub
    thats a deal breaker for me :D

So you can still scalp....just have to go through another step.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

So you can still scalp....just have to go through another step.

I think TM only allows a small mark-up when it comes to reselling paperless tickets.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I think TM only allows a small mark-up when it comes to reselling paperless tickets.

Yes, but for the sake of the conversation, one could agree to pay an amount outside of TM to the seller on top of face for the tickets via the TM site.

Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Yes, but for the sake of the conversation, one could agree to pay an amount outside of TM to the seller on top of face for the tickets via the TM site.

Very true....you could make the deal independent of TM, receive the Added amount, and then sell them to the buyer who pays tyhe maximum allowed price thru TM.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Very true....you could make the deal independent of TM, receive the Added amount, and then sell them to the buyer who pays tyhe maximum allowed price thru TM.

But if a scalper even proposed something like that, people on Craigslist/Ebay whatever could rat them out and have the tickets canceled.

There's no perfect system, but paperless is the one that will get the most real fans in the seats for face.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
    But if a scalper even proposed something like that, people on Craigslist/Ebay whatever could rat them out and have the tickets canceled.

There's no perfect system, but paperless is the one that will get the most real fans in the seats for face.[/quote]

so true!
  • I think PJ has not gone to paperless because it just puts more money into Ticketmasters pockets. I don't think PJ is interested in helping TM. I don't like it because I like the flexibility of being able to change my mind and sell my tickets down the road if I want to, but It definately does cut way down on scalping.
    Gorge
    I think PJ has not gone to paperless because it just puts more money into Ticketmasters pockets. I don't think PJ is interested in helping TM. I don't like it because I like the flexibility of being able to change my mind and sell my tickets down the road if I want to, but It definately does cut way down on scalping.

Your last phrase says it all :D
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    Get_Right wrote:
    sounds good in theory

but imagine the bottleneck at 745 pm for a PJ show

and no ticket stub
    thats a deal breaker for me :D

not every section in the building. just pick 5 very good sections and make those paperless

also, have u ever tried to find extra stubs after a show is over when there are 10000 people there. you will find a stub...it might not be your exact seat location but there are stubs left lying around always

bottom line is this system works, and i'm disappointed that more bands aren't doing it.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    I never heard of this until a few weeks ago when I ordered tix for the Kings Of Leon. Sounds like a good idea. Hope more bands start doing this.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    scalpers have to make a living too. whah whah.