Babysitting while following tour, or bring the cage??

Comments

• zootownzootown Posts: 666
    OffMeGoes wrote:
    Well you're not going to like to hear this, but I think it is kind of immature and irresponsible to do what you are doing. You're actually planning a trip around the schedule of a rock band and looking for someone to leave your 4 year old with?

I love this band too but I would never do what you are proposing. My children are way more important, like not even on the same scale more important than Pearl Jam (even though they are the greatest band in the world). Why not just hit a few shows that you can get to in a couple of hours and either leave your son with someone he and you know?

My wife and I travelled from Toronto to both MSG shows in 2008, but ONLY because her parents agreed to come and watch our 1 year old daughter. If they hadn't come I never would have considered it.

Sorry but for me it sounds a bit selfish. Do you really HAVE to see the band ten times or whatever? Go to one or 2 shows then take your kid to Disneyland with the money you will save. Sorry if that is harsh but you asked.

I don't mind your opinion at all. I really don't want this to sound harsh either, but I know I can write where it sounds way worse than it is meant to be, so forgive me in advance......Everyone has a right to their own opinion, just not their own facts......

I do really have to see this band ten times. In fact, I have seen them 71 times, almost all in new cities....it is what I do and what I love doing...I get to travel to new places and combine it with a sure fire event that never fails and is never the same.....I am pretty sure I was seeking advice to see if what I hope to do would be at all possible....not sure where that is immature or irresponsible. I don't know your situation, so as much as I feel that you going two nights in a row to MSG was possibly unnecessary since you are Canadian, I wouldn't ever say anything to point that out, especially since I have no idea who you are, what you are capable of, what your passions are, what your character is. I'm a single dad that just sold his business, that loves nothing more on earth than just being with my son, that would take a huge road trip right now and that had planned on it anyway, it just got pushed forward by the tour, and that appreciates your concern but that didn't even register why you wrote to me....I was asking people if they knew about the service....I am looking for that info, not your presumptions or what you would do. And i am not one of those parents that thinks I know what is best and that nobody needs to interfere...fuck, half the time I have no clue....but I would never put my kid in a dangerous situation,...but if you think the Hyatt regency's baby sitting service is totally unsafe for three hours of watching my son when he would probably sleep anyway, maybe you are correct, and that is why I am asking.....?? I don't know.....I still need to know what it is like at the centers, and the only real reason I placed this on the boards is because I know that I am not the only one that has wondered these things....yes, some things I write may barely spark an interest with anyone, but some are pretty good....and I do this for fun....sometimes I dont even know if I am asking serious questions or playing around.....this one, I am not fooling around....well, with the actual purpose....I need information from people that may have experienced this...it may seem like a bad idea to anyone that doesn't know about it, (like me, I dont know...) but be a single father and come back to me and tell me that it is ridiculous and immature for you to look at options. I'm the goose, and trust me, I have worked hard and have earned what I want.....part of the reason, if not the main reason, that I sold my business was to spend more time with my son....which is nearly 24 hours a day.......havent killed him yet, pretty sure it isnt one of my goals......

I will say, if I cannot go, you looking for some tickets??? Hahahahahahahahahah...............just joking.....I am going...I will find a way, a friend, that stupid sister of mine, an undocumented korean kid,....your wife's parents aren't free are they???

And, at the end of it all,...you are right in a lot of ways.......I know that......I tell you what,...it's nobody's fault.....if you just agree with me and give me two put ups, I will send you either photos of me with my shirt off or every EV solo show on CD...........

Im not gonna question your love or commitment to your child, not my place! But, I do think you are on a slippery slope as a parent. You have clearly made many sacrifices for your son, but I always get sketched out when parents justify expansive and expensive "rewards" for themselves to somehow balance out their parenting duties. This sounds like fodder for resentment towards your son and your parenting duties. Yeah, you "have" to see these shows. No you don't. I think both you and your son might be better served if you could find some self-care activities (because yes you need an outlet and some fun in your life too!), that dont involve dragging your 4 year old son across the country to see multiple shows of your fav rock band. Stressful and disruptive with a little bit of fun would likely be how your son would characterize these trips if he honestly could.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    Whenever I have to shlep the kids along I bring a "nanny". Usually my niece to chill at the hotel with my daughter while I go to the show. It costs more to have another mouth to feed, but for the piece of mind you have while at the show its worth it.
  • OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
    The annoyance level of someone asking around on a public message board for how to babysit their kid is far lower than the OP's severe ellipses abuse. Doesn't your pinky get tired?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......(that's funny) i really did laugh out loud.....nice one...
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
  • You would have to contact every hotel and speak to the concierge. Have him/her email you their list of babysitting services. Other than those 'all inclusive' places, I don't think hotel chains have an in-house service that they are responsible for. We thought about getting a sitter in Atlanta a few years ago (Hyatt). They had a list, nothing right there, in-house. It was last minute and I couldn't check as thoroughly as I wanted to so I stayed behind.

After getting the info on local services, you should call each place and ask for a list of references and then check the references. Check the internet for reviews or negative feedback, etc.
    [/quote]Im not gonna question your love or commitment to your child, not my place! But, I do think you are on a slippery slope as a parent. You have clearly made many sacrifices for your son, but I always get sketched out when parents justify expansive and expensive "rewards" for themselves to somehow balance out their parenting duties. This sounds like fodder for resentment towards your son and your parenting duties. Yeah, you "have" to see these shows. No you don't. I think both you and your son might be better served if you could find some self-care activities (because yes you need an outlet and some fun in your life too!), that dont involve dragging your 4 year old son across the country to see multiple shows of your fav rock band. Stressful and disruptive with a little bit of fun would likely be how your son would characterize these trips if he honestly could.[/quote]

Wow.....you knew about half your place..... Listen, when I have to explain to him why his mom was killed by a drunk driver I will come asking you for some more "It's not my place, but let me tell you how to handle this" advice.......

Or if you could advise me whether or not it is uncool to make up stories like the one above, I obviously am unsure and shouldnt be left alone to make those calls.......

I know I am right. And again, it is nobody's fault.

I bet you all think it is bad that I spank out of the blue and bring out the belt to feel empowered and because I think it is actually wanted......but that is my personal life with my girlfriend.....so it shouldnt bother you...but with this crowd, who knows......

Maybe someone would volunteer to be a handler for me? I am thinking of taking my son outside, getting nervous that I may trade him again for something shiny......
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

• zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Wow.....you knew about half your place..... Listen, when I have to explain to him why his mom was killed by a drunk driver I will come asking you for some more "It's not my place, but let me tell you how to handle this" advice.......

Or if you could advise me whether or not it is uncool to make up stories like the one above, I obviously am unsure and shouldnt be left alone to make those calls.......

I bet you all think it is bad that I spank out of the blue and bring out the belt to feel empowered and because I think it is actually wanted......but that is my personal life with my girlfriend.....so it shouldnt bother you...but with this crowd, who knows......

Maybe someone would volunteer to be a handler for me? I am thinking of taking my son outside, getting nervous that I may trade him again for something shiny......[/qu

Yep, you are right. You are always right. One thing you are clearly clueless about though is that many parents would never do what you are doing. Did you really think that you were only going to get advice on babysitting with a thread like this?
    I hold the pain, release me!
    Lowlight wrote:
    OffMeGoes wrote:
    I am not sure why you are telling me how to do my job.

Because you are asking people if they know of any reputable baby-sitting services at hotels. Clearly you need help, if not, you would already have your answer.

Why not go outside (with your son) and ask people on the street the same question?

Dude, I told you I was gunna make you post about me again.........you haven't seen Dumb and Dumber???? I am now 3/5ths of your posts.....

• OffMeGoes wrote:
    [

Maybe someone would volunteer to be a handler for me? I am thinking of taking my son outside, getting nervous that I may trade him again for something shiny......

OK so from your first response to my posting of my opinion, you actually seemed pretty normal, and I could tell that you care for your child and had some good points, but I have to say that your recent posts are kind of sounding like you are off your meds or something. Either that or you have that kind of sense of humour, you know the one that noone else but you gets?

Anyways, I guess to each their own (and in fairness I am sometimes seen as overly cautious with my children, so I am not discounting your justifications completely). All I know is that I could not imagine leaving my kids, at night, with strangers, no matter what a hotel concierge says about them. A few points to consider:

-What kind of people do you think will take this kind of work? Last minute, late at night, for probably minimum wage?

-What if you get there and then the reality sets in with your son and he is scared? Will you not go?

All I know is that at one time I would have been right there with you. Pearl Jam is no 1, I have to go. But that all changed when I started a family. Now going to a PJ show is not even in my top 10 in terms of what really matters in life. Of course I will go see them when they are near or in my home town, and nothing else has to suffer for my indulgence, but leaving my kids or dragging them around the country to spends thousands on a rock show is not even in the realm of reality for me today.

To each there own.
    Yep, you are right. You are always right. One thing you are clearly clueless about though is that many parents would never do what you are doing. Did you really think that you were only going to get advice on babysitting with a thread like this?/quote]

I thought I could get some advice about babysitting on this thread because it is a thread about Babysitting....

next question.....

• LowlightLowlight Posts: 101
    OffMeGoes wrote:
    I thought I could get some advice about babysitting on this thread because it is a thread about Babysitting....
    next question.....

And who better to give advice about hotel baby sitting services, than us?
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18 New York City 9-11-22
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Lowlight wrote:
    OffMeGoes wrote:
    next question.....

And who better to give advice about hotel baby sitting services, than us?

hahaha, perfectly put!

Me personally - would NEVER leave my son with a sitter I did not know. I had family until he was over 8 years old. Back then from 2000-2006 I sacrificed MANY shows. Now he is 10 and I am able to go see more again. He either stays with his dad, grandmother or my nanny who has been with us for over a year and watches him every day after school. I am not throwing stones at the OP, but I myself could NEVER imagine doing such a thing. I would NEVER trust a stranger alone with my child.
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    I too have a very strong opinion concerning this issue, but I'm not going to share because the OP didn't ask for my opinion, he asked about hotel babysitting. In this day and age, I would be surprised if many hotels, mainly due to liability issues, offered this type of service. Probably the best solution would be to allow a trusted family member care for your child. I know it would be difficult to leave them behind as it appears you and your little one are fortunate to spend most of your time together. But to be honest, this is probably the best solution for your son. And bottom line, I think that's what you are looking for.

I'm not offering my opinion, even though I've been parenting probably longer than many of the board members have been alive lol. The reason is because I'm still busy screwing up as a parent. Any of us who are parents (and the least bit honest) know we've screwed up. It isn't that we don't love our kids, it's because we are human and fallible by nature. And it's also because our parents screwed us up, as did their parents and so on to infinity.

All parents struggle with the complete selflessness and sacrifice that is required of this job. Even our god Eddie, now that he is a parent, has spoken of such matters. Look, the OP is just having one of those struggles. I have no doubt that whatever arrangements the OP makes, he will put the safety and needs of his child first. If he didn't really care, he would have never asked, he would have just dumped the kid.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL Posts: 760
    URthekey wrote:
    Whenever I have to shlep the kids along I bring a "nanny". Usually my niece to chill at the hotel with my daughter while I go to the show. It costs more to have another mouth to feed, but for the piece of mind you have while at the show its worth it.

without reading every post on this thread... those are my thoughts exactly.

I have done this. If you get the right person... they are more than happy to do it. I almost WISH i COULD do it this year!! I would love to do some traveling with my kid. It's really a lot of fun... and the young person that travels with you... think age 20 or so.... gets to go places and do and see things they may not otherwise get to do. I have found it's a win/win situation.

GOOD LUCK!
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    The only advice I would give is to not leave the boy with anyone named Uncle Ernie.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I hear the Catholic Church offers very hands on babysitting services.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    THIS is what the TRUNK of your CAR is for. :twisted:
    ....I just found a few good babysitter ads on Craigslist Cleveland and the Buffalo WingIt Newspaper.......one teenager just outside of Cleveland is only 6 bucks an hour, and though she says she doesn't have a lot of experience with kids during her 14 years on earth, she does have a car.....but, I think I am catching on to what several of you are saying.....is this correct:?? No to strangers?? close??

I have figured a few things out in life....pretty sure we will be okay.....would still like to know what anyone has ever experienced if they have used a babysitter service at a nice hotel....I guess I would compare what I am talking about to the Carnival Cruise kid care that I took such a massive risk on and that I am sure you will judge me for.....

BTY...plenty more of my photos are around if anyone is interested. Just don't ask me for videos or drawings, which I would now expect to be asked for by a handful of you, but would still not understand....

4515910338_dd00e7b04e_m.jpg

4515262551_b476a5f1b3_m.jpg
    4515807808_8e964cac91_m.jpg
    4515369145_8142526a9b_m.jpg
    4515324550_7e22c05267_m.jpg
    4514798613_55edcfaa64_m.jpg
    3652182726_e2e8384093_m.jpg
    3651397553_b1ae3647a3_m.jpg
    3652184526_6bde802019_m.jpg
    4515299294_3cd0a26e84_o.jpg

• TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    I really don't get why everyone is getting on this guy. He merely asked what, if any, experiences others had had with hotel babysitting services. Had people actually responded to the question by giving their experiences, if any, instead of unsolicited advice about how to raise his son, the sarcasm may have been kept to a minimum. One thing I've learned about this forum (despite my addiction to it), is that people who jump all over someone and, in the meantime, completely ignore that "someone's" point, have way too much time on their hands.
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL Posts: 760
    Lowlight wrote:

Better yet, spend that time with your 4 year old.

Sounds to me like this is EXACTLY what he is trying to do! He is trying to spend an enormous amount of time with his four year old on a roadtrip around the country.... AWESOME! When my son was two i had the opportunity to travel for a month around the southwest... more or less just the two of us.. we had such a great time! We went to Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Phoenix and a bunch of spots in between. Had a great time!

He IS trying to spend time with is four year old... just trying to work out the logistics... three weeks on the road with his dad 24/7... except for 10 shows @ 3 hours each ... well 21x24=504 less the 30 hours he will be at the shows = 474 hours spent with his son in a three week period of time.

Look at that... he was taking your advice before you even gave it!! :P
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,889
    Awesome. Keep fucking with him folks. Dude is HILARIOUS!!!!!! Op "I GET" your sense of humor and good luck to you sir.

May I suggest a slightly longer trip to hit up some must sees around the country?

Man , what a lucky kid. Dad is a riot.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,889
    just don't park in a tow away zone!! :mrgreen::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Lowlight wrote:

Better yet, spend that time with your 4 year old.

Sounds to me like this is EXACTLY what he is trying to do! He is trying to spend an enormous amount of time with his four year old on a roadtrip around the country.... AWESOME! When my son was two i had the opportunity to travel for a month around the southwest... more or less just the two of us.. we had such a great time! We went to Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, Phoenix and a bunch of spots in between. Had a great time!

He IS trying to spend time with is four year old... just trying to work out the logistics... three weeks on the road with his dad 24/7... except for 10 shows @ 3 hours each ... well 21x24=504 less the 30 hours he will be at the shows = 474 hours spent with his son in a three week period of time.

Look at that... he was taking your advice before you even gave it!! :P

Anyone on my side can use my Hermosa Beach waterfront house while I am away for four weeks......seriously...I wont be here, and it is a waste to sit here empty during some of the nicest parts of the year......besides, I may need someone present if this dog collar actually gets him back from St. Louis or Cleveland, or where ever he ends up getting lost.....it would be ashamed if he had to sit in the backyard while I continued the tour.........

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    I have no advice to offer but you're funny. Where in Cali are you?
    Edit:
    Well, forget that. I just saw where you are.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    OP- you totally crack me up, your stream of conscious style is great :lol:
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • canoegirlcanoegirl Posts: 295
    don't let peoples words get you down, your a good dad, your teaching your son passion, travel, history along the way, memories along the way, the best thing, "gift" you can give a child is to let them see who you really are so they in return have the strength to become who they are, its so intrict and hard to explain at times, like ok my dad raised me on rod stewart, my friends were raised on country so i always felt "odd", and now when i here rod on the radio, which is a story in itself because i recently moved and where i came from the only played him in the 80's on the radio i haven't heard him in many years, but it brings back the memories about the dad i loved i'm so thankful that my dad was into rod stewart and plaids and tartans because all of that matters... and yet we were a disfunctional family so to speak but one thing i know or feel is that the voice of the grunge era was all about kicking back, so kick those negative words and thoughts back to where they came from like a soccer ball, lol, they probally have their kids on freakin scheduled play dates, HELLO, please excuse the imperfections of my spelling ;)
  • I love the author Ted L. Nancy. He writes similarly to the OP. Very great!

By the way, I will be traveling to all of the shows in a Ripe Banana Costume. I can move and walk and sit, I just appear as a large, ripe banana. Anyone know if the venues will have a problem with that? Thanks!
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    What's your first show? Or are you doing the entire US leg?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    canoegirl wrote:
    don't let peoples words get you down, your a good dad, your teaching your son passion, travel, history along the way, memories along the way, the best thing, "gift" you can give a child is to let them see who you really are so they in return have the strength to become who they are, its so intrict and hard to explain at times, like ok my dad raised me on rod stewart, my friends were raised on country so i always felt "odd", and now when i here rod on the radio, which is a story in itself because i recently moved and where i came from the only played him in the 80's on the radio i haven't heard him in many years, but it brings back the memories about the dad i loved i'm so thankful that my dad was into rod stewart and plaids and tartans because all of that matters... and yet we were a disfunctional family so to speak but one thing i know or feel is that the voice of the grunge era was all about kicking back, so kick those negative words and thoughts back to where they came from like a soccer ball, lol, they probally have their kids on freakin scheduled play dates, HELLO, please excuse the imperfections of my spelling ;)

OMG.....talk about confusing!!! When I read this I thought my mirror transcribed my talk with it last night and posted it on my thread....., then I got to Rod Stewart and the record player arm scratched long and loud across my imagination...

I need to say a huge thank you to everyone that has reached out to me or that has offered the information I was seeking.....I know the boards have no real rules or real etiquette (believe me, I have benefitted from that because there is no way I should get away with 1/3rd of what I do.....).....but as I sit here naked, I just wanted to really say that all the fun I had with this thread ended up with me really feeling that there is support out there when people are in need of real advice.....(in this case, mostly from humans that were factory equipped with a uterus, while those without the option tended to advise me on how to raise a kid in general....)......do I think there is a family amongst Pearl Jam fans?? With this experience, I must say that I absolutely believe and have absolutely rejuvenated my strong assertion that there is indeed no such thing as a family amongst pearl jam fans.......hahahaha....none of you are coming to my Thanksgiving Dinner, and none of you will be getting birthday cards from me. Although, my half birthday is coming up and if anyone needs my address again for the shipment of the presents (remember, half birthdays need double the gift to make a whole..... .5 bday x 2 gifts = 1 amazing payment of respect). Remember to check the annual registry at, go figure, www.honoringourhero.com.

So, although most of all I would like to thank myself, I truly am trying to say thank you to everyone that helped me fight off all the mouth breathers........they may return with a vengeance, but now with all my new friend's standing guard, I have a wall to sit behind. Naked, of course.....