$1,200 a year !!

2»

Comments

• I didn't have cable for a decade. So when I moved at the end of 2007, I decided to try it again. For over a year, I paid nearly $90 for cable and internet. I had local phone service for a little while, but soon bought a "MagicJack" which costs almost nothing to use. The cable rates were raised in early 2009. I could no longer afford it, I often missed the few shows I liked because I had no recording device, AND I had already begun seeking out good TV shows that streamed free online..... so the cable box went back to the company!

For a year now, I've paid solely for internet. I once had Time Warner's "Turbo" speed, but I figured that was a scam. I downgraded to "Basic High Speed Internet" and surprise, surprise (NO SURPRISE) it is exactly the same as "Turbo."

About $40.65 per month covers my internet and phone.

If only I had the money to pay last month's bill. Or this month's.

The MagicJack is awesome! $20 a year for calls.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've thought about doing the magic jack, but my computer isn't the fastest, so i wonder how that will impact the quality.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    i've thought about doing the magic jack, but my computer isn't the fastest, so i wonder how that will impact the quality.

I think it comes with a 30 or 60 day guarantee, so you can try it out and see if it's worth the $1.66 and 2/3 cents per month.

I don't know how computer speed affects the MacicJack. But here are some things I've experienced:

At first, I had a cordless phone. It often sounded tinny (is that a word?) when I used it. Now I have a plain old corded phone, and the quality of the sound on both ends is great.

If I am listening to audio on my computer when someone calls me, the sound interferes. I need to minimise the page to stop the interference, or sometimes even exit the page entirely.

The disc-copying software that was already installed on my computer when I bought it does not work if the jack is plugged in. I have to remove the jack while copying discs.

Anyone who calls me can leave a voicemail 24/7. But the phone at my end will only ring if the computer is plugged in and turned on. I am unable to make some types of calls. I had signed up to phone in to a live seminar that was being 'broadcast' over the phone. But when I tried to make the call, MagicJack's software told me I was not allowed to call into a conference call. It explained that I could start a conference call by giving out a pin number to the people that I wanted to call me. But not the other way around.

For the microscopic price, the PROs are well worth it: Call almost anyone in any state and much of Canada for no fee! You can select any area code. If you live in the midwest but want a NY City phone number, go ahead and choose it! You don't even need a phone!! When using MagicJack, a screen pops up. You can dial by clicking a mouse on the 2 dimensional 'keyboard.' You can talk through a computer microphone, and listen through headphones or speakers.

Simple, in a good way.
    "May you live in interesting times."