$1,200 a year !!

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm saving just by changing my cable bill and eliminating my land line !!

Amazing how much we blow without thinking about it

The small amount of calls we made with the house line was not worth $68 a month !

We have a shared family plan on our cell with 700 minutes we're usaully around 250-300 a month
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

The small amount of calls we made with the house line was not worth $68 a month !

We have a shared family plan on our cell with 700 minutes we're usaully around 250-300 a month

haven't had a house phone in 4 years
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    How did you change your cable bill?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • No TV
    No phone
    No internet
    No car loan
    No horse, no wife, no mustache...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,475
    I hear ya...

I told comcast to stick their cable up their ass, over a year ago.

Havent had a land line in 4 years.......

Paid off both cars 2 years ago.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I hear ya...

Payin off the car is a Good Feelin. It won't last forever, but at least you get a brake for a few years.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    DeLukin wrote:

I had a "Preferred Plan" which gave me crap channels when I really looked at

I downgraded to "Expanded Basic" with HD of course internet as well

Went from $144 to $107

I hear ya...

Sweet!

The lady on the phone used a scare tactic almost when i said Im cancelling

"You know if you call 911 the operator cannot see your address through your cell phone account...only the general area"

I'm sure its a legal thing but it sounded like a scare tactic the way she put it

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I hear ya...

Sweet!

The lady on the phone used a scare tactic almost when i said Im cancelling

"You know if you call 911 the operator cannot see your address through your cell phone account...only the general area"

I'm sure its a legal thing but it sounded like a scare tactic the way she put it
    Well that is true. Landlines (should) have the address attached to them so that when you call 911 your civic address automatically populates the calltakers software along with your number. GPS and triangulation are used for cell phone calls (in most places), but if you call 911 and know the civic address that's all you need.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if i'm calling 911 from a cell vs a landline at home, i think i might be able to give them the address. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    we have a home phone which is part of our internet package. we then have pre paid cell phones. at the end of the day, it's cheaper than having a a cell phone contract.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

quote]

i hate comcast with a passion. we dumped them as soon as we could and switched to Dish for TV and WOW! for internet/phone.

i'd like to get fios but it's not avialable yet.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    81 wrote:
    we have a home phone which is part of our internet package. we then have pre paid cell phones. at the end of the day, it's cheaper than having a a cell phone contract.

I have pre paid cell too and for me it is cheaper than having a contract
    I have a land line for my internet but I don't have a phone hooked up...so if someone calls my number it just rings and rings on their end!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

i save money this way too.
    no cable tv.
    and no cell phone.
    i do have a home phone.
    if i ever have a cell phone it will be to soon.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    DeLukin wrote:

Went from $144 to $107
    Nice! I'm thinking about downgrading my Dish plan. I love the NHL on Vs and VH1 classic, but Encoure is crap. And I don't know about cable companies but Dish charges me $5 to downgrade which drives me nuts. Of course with the NHL post season starting in a few days, Imma need my VS... that's how they get you, right?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • 81 wrote:

That's the way to do it.

Whenever my cell rings, I get flustered because it's most likely something urgent. Everyone I talk to calls me at home; they know I hate having a casual conversation on an awkward shaped (flat) phone.

Using the OP's prices, one year of home phone=816.00........one year of Cell phone=3600.00
  • No cable whatsoever (I catch up on shows later on DVD) and I haven't had a land line in 4 years. My cell phone is always around and I have a good plan for it so I don't see the need for it for a second phone that I don't need. Internet is a must, but I can do without TV.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    81 wrote:

That's the way to do it.

Whenever my cell rings, I get flustered because it's most likely something urgent. Everyone I talk to calls me at home; they know I hate having a casual conversation on an awkward shaped (flat) phone.

Using the OP's prices, one year of home phone=816.00........one year of Cell phone=3600.00
    I think OP's 250-300 a month was minutes used out of 700, not $$?
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited April 2010
    KO282453 wrote:
    I hear ya...

Payin off the car is a Good Feelin. It won't last forever, but at least you get a brake for a few years.
    I've just got like four months left to pay off my truck and I can't wait!
    I did away with my land line around four years ago too. I never used it and was paying $75 a month for basically no purpose other than giving telemarketers a way to hassle me. Life is so much better without telemarketers.
    I am also without internet service for around 3 years. That was mostly due to the fact that I live out of town and can't get anything but dial-up, so the high-speed connection at work made it to where I could no longer stand using it at the house. I really don't miss it though
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    DeLukin wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:

Went from $144 to $107
    Nice! I'm thinking about downgrading my Dish plan. I love the NHL on Vs and VH1 classic, but Encoure is crap. And I don't know about cable companies but Dish charges me $5 to downgrade which drives me nuts. Of course with the NHL post season starting in a few days, Imma need my VS... that's how they get you, right?

center ice baby.... :lol:

i've never heard them charging to downgrade. if you ask, i'm sure they will wave it. also, if you call them up and say you are thinking of switching to cable or diret tv, i guarentee they will give you a discount.

we have america's 250 and pay right around $75 with taxes and fee's.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Rygar wrote:
    81 wrote:

That's the way to do it.

Could be. You're probably right. Someone was just telling me that she pays around 300 a month for her family plan .. they have like 6 blackberry's (blackberries?). That's nuts.
    Rygar wrote:
    81 wrote:

That's the way to do it.

Yes it was minutes

DeLukin wrote:
    DeLukin wrote:

Went from $144 to $107

Yeah Encore is a waste imo

I kept my sports package of course with NHL-NFL-MLB Networks included its $5 a month

Oh and the other BS thing I forgot to mention when i cancelled the phone she said "Would you like the message to tell people the new number?" "I said whats the cost?" "Well free for a month then a charge there after.." I said no thanks !

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I probably haven't had a home phone line for 10 years... when I was single and working all of the time, I didn't see a use for it and never looked back. My wife and I both have our cell phones (700 shared minutes), and the vast majority of people we call have verizon, so it's unlimited anyway.

I really wish FIOS TV would come to our area, so I can finally drop Time Warner.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I probably haven't had a home phone line for 10 years... when I was single and working all of the time, I didn't see a use for it and never looked back. My wife and I both have our cell phones (700 shared minutes), and the vast majority of people we call have verizon, so it's unlimited anyway.

I really wish FIOS TV would come to our area, so I can finally drop Time Warner.

Sounds like us to T

Now, what other fat can I trim monthly ?

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    We still have the most basic of landlines. We almost never use it - its basically a front so we don't have to give our cell number on all the business things that want a ph. number. We took off voice mail, caller id, etc. and got an answering machine.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I didn't have cable for a decade. So when I moved at the end of 2007, I decided to try it again. For over a year, I paid nearly $90 for cable and internet. I had local phone service for a little while, but soon bought a "MagicJack" which costs almost nothing to use. The cable rates were raised in early 2009. I could no longer afford it, I often missed the few shows I liked because I had no recording device, AND I had already begun seeking out good TV shows that streamed free online..... so the cable box went back to the company!

For a year now, I've paid solely for internet. I once had Time Warner's "Turbo" speed, but I figured that was a scam. I downgraded to "Basic High Speed Internet" and surprise, surprise (NO SURPRISE) it is exactly the same as "Turbo."

About $40.65 per month covers my internet and phone.

If only I had the money to pay last month's bill. Or this month's.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • My comcast bill is $220 a month

$52 for the internet

$30 for the 3 HD DVR boxes

$110 for the Premium HD channel package (which is normally like $150)

and about $30 in taxes and fees.

But I need comcast so I can watch all my basketball games since they're blacked out on the Dish and Direct TV out here.
    NERDS!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,475
    My comcast bill is $220 a month

$52 for the internet

$30 for the 3 HD DVR boxes

$110 for the Premium HD channel package (which is normally like $150)

and about $30 in taxes and fees.

But I need comcast so I can watch all my basketball games since they're blacked out on the Dish and Direct TV out here.
    I dont give a rats ass........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I'm going on six year without a landline.
    "It's all happening"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    peacegirl wrote:
    81 wrote:

I have pre paid cell too and for me it is cheaper than having a contract
    I have a land line for my internet but I don't have a phone hooked up...so if someone calls my number it just rings and rings on their end!
    I LOVE having a prepaid cell. When I hear people talk about what their monthly cell bills are it blows my mind. :shock: :wtf:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."