Nightmare on Elm Street 2010

2»

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pinwheel wrote:
    why must hollywood abuse the classics? but i suppose it's all subjective and i still have the original so whatever.

my thoughts exactly. has hollywood no thoughts at all......... this is a modern classic and still they feel the need to fuck with it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I don't think it's the writers or actors trying to do these remakes, it's the publicity and accounting types. In business school they are taught that leveraging an established mindshare is preferable to launching a new franchise.

No matter how awful or great the new Elm St movie might be, there's a certain percentage of the valuable target market that will at least take a look at it for nostalgia reasons. As an example, Will Smith in I, Robot - that movie only superficially had anything to do with the Asimov Robots stories. But that title is going to catch some eyeballs - more than the original title, Hard Wired.

Sure, someone could easily come up with a new story about a creep who kills kids through their dreams, or a team of ex-military who right wrongs under the radar, or finds an alien leotard that grants him superpowers, but how will they get funded? If you want to make a big expensive movie you have to ask someone to front some cash. And once the businessman gets his hand in the process who will tell him (and his money) to get bent while they pursue their vision?

Anyway, there are plenty of movies out there to see other than the rehashed blockbusters.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    They've done Predator again too - only this time it's different. It's called Predators.
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • Actually this is pretty much how I think it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59p9kOZkLI
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • mawfordinksmawfordinks Posts: 65
    All remakes are just pisspoor awful.

If they remake total recall i will cry.
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    All remakes are just pisspoor awful.

Willy Wonka was cool.
    Just a dude growing veg