Empire Strikes Back

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
30 YEARS AGO :shock:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/08/empir ... star-wars/

I remember vividly waiting on line with thousands of others on the opening night in Lawrence, NY. It must have taken 3 screenings (no multi-plexes back then) for us to get in...

Boy was it worth it... Best of them all ... and such a touchstone to my youth...
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i am your father
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Ironic you bring this up. I saw a college kid yesterday w/ a 'Star Wars' t-shirt on yesterday and it reminded me of when I was 6 or 7 and my grandmother took me to see it in the theatre. parents were all too eager to take my sis and i to see 'empire' when it came out. good times. great movies.
    I love to turn you on
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    my family was on vacation, I made my sister take me to see it !!!

I was stunned. :o

yep, I'm a Star Wars geek. not gonna lie. :D
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:

i love you. :mrgreen:

i watched something something something darkside. this arvo with the zoemonster.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited April 2010
    the wolf wrote:
    my family was on vacation, I made my sister take me to see it !!!

I was stunned. :o

Yeah me too.. I think at some point I could verbatim quote the whole movie :?
    It probably was the first true sequel blockbuster and movie event... The first movie was obviously popular but was built on word of mouth over a whole year.. Back then a movie could be running in a theater for months on end... Also it was easy to stay in the theater on a Saturday when it was over to see it again and again....
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • HeyWayneHeyWayne Posts: 316
    We have the Star Wars franchise to thank for the movie memorabilia culture we have now. Praise de lawd.

*deep breathes*
    Just a dude growing veg

haywayne.blogspot.com
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    big star wars geek. too young to see them in the movies though. i was 1 when ROTJ was released.

did get to see them during the rerelease in '97 though, and that was cool as fuck.
    the wolf wrote:

I know.

HA !!! I had to do it !!! :lol:
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    HeyWayne wrote:
    We have the Star Wars franchise to thank for the movie memorabilia culture we have now. Praise de lawd.

*deep breathes*

and thank you to the studio for not having the nouse to retain merchandising rights enabling lucas to backroll those shithouse prequels when the time come.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    HeyWayne wrote:

*deep breathes*

and thank you to the studio for not having the nouse to retain merchandising rights enabling lucas to backroll those shithouse prequels when the time come.

Hey !!! I'm the one guy that actually liked the prequels !!! :oops:
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

I know.

HA !!! I had to do it !!! :lol:

haha you know what i want you to know. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    The first three (or last three) were so epic. I remember my Dad taking me to see Return of the Jedi on opening night...WOW.

I was a major Star Wars nut and can still remember the lines of the movie when I watch them.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
    the wolf wrote:
    HeyWayne wrote:

*deep breathes*

Top 3 Favorite PJ.com posters

Before Seeing Above
    1. XXXX
    2. The Wolf
    3. XXXX

After Seeing Above

1. XXX
    2. XXX
    3. XXX
    GoiMTvP.gif
    the wolf wrote:
    HeyWayne wrote:

*deep breathes*

ugh. you and i need to talk. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

I remember vividly waiting on line with thousands of others on the opening night in Lawrence, NY. It must have taken 3 screenings (no multi-plexes back then) for us to get in...

Boy was it worth it... Best of them all ... and such a touchstone to my youth...

Agree completely. By far the best of the Star Wars movies. I like it because it takes a huge story and breaks it down to a much more personal level. And as far as sequels go, it went in completely the opposite direction, meaning it wasn't bigger, badder, louder, faster, with more robots and explosions than the first one. I wish Hollywood would learn from that.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14

Before Seeing Above
    1. XXXX
    2. The Wolf
    3. XXXX

After Seeing Above

1. XXX
    2. XXX
    3. XXX

:lol::lol::D :P :) :? :cry:
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Go to You Tube and look up Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars reviews. He plays a character like he is this twisted serial killer in his mom's basement and he makes these videos that just completely rip the Star Wars prequels to shreds. Even though he is annoying and borderline offensive at times, he makes many, many valid points about why the prequels suck ass.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    the wolf wrote:

And some people like Creed (from what I gather) but you're still not supposed to admit it. Hide your shame, Wolf, hide your shame. ;)
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    the wolf wrote:

Before Seeing Above
    1. XXXX
    2. The Wolf
    3. XXXX

After Seeing Above

1. XXX
    2. XXX
    3. XXX

:lol::lol::D :P :) :? :cry:
    Awww did I hurt the putty tat's feelings?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    amazing movie, it cracks the top ten on IMDB.com for the top 250 movies.

I am a star wars freak. I have literally hundreds of star wars things. I am actually getting ready to document it soon...its all packed away at my moms...gonna go over there one day and film it all.

Empire is always a good watch. I think it is one of the most shocking moments in cinema for luke to find out. And that dastardly deed that Lando signs on for. :evil:

One thing I really love about it, is how it ends. How they are all talking about meeting on Tattoine, waiting for Lando's signal and stuff. People must have been so pissed back in the day to have to wait three years to see what goes down at Jabba's. Probe Droids, AT-AT's, Bacta Tanks, Wampas, Bespin, The Bounty Hunters, Degobah, LUKES FUCKED UP DREAM. It's got it ALL!!!

I love when Luke sees Yoda use the force and take out the X-Wing from the swap, and Luke goes and puts his hand on the X-Wing and says to Yoda "I don't believe it!" and Yoda replies, "That is why you fail."

Awesome.

Here is something I recently found on VHS. Me, waiting in line at mdinight, at Zellers, for the release of the Phantom Menace Toy Line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rZERKcI_LA

I saw Phantom Menace 5 Times on Opening Day. :oops:
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    i am your father

Greatest plot twist in movie history.
    smg97791 wrote:
    i am your father

Greatest plot twist in movie history.
    I would say either #1 or tied with The Sixth Sense...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

shut the fuck up :mrgreen:
    im 37 yrs old.
    this is bullshit and i do not believe you.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought this was going to be a Yankee thread talking about how the yankees won the next two cames after losing the first :lol:

star wars rocks too :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    30 years? Crazy.
    I saw it as a double feature with the first one, in a single screen theatre with a balcony. :shock:
    30 years? Crazy.
    I saw it as a double feature with the first one, in a single screen theatre with a balcony. :shock:
    Wow, that's awesome!!!

Man I miss the double feature... Your's would be the best but I got Airplane/Kentucky Fried Movie
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    30 years? Crazy.
    Wow, that's awesome!!!

Man I miss the double feature... Your's would be the best but I got Airplane/Kentucky Fried Movie
    Kentucky Fried Movie!?!?! :lol: that made me lol...hadn't thought of that forever!

I saw the first one at a drive in cause I had the chicken pox....I don't know if it was during the original release...I assume it was...but I'd have been only four or five and I remember it vividly....
    I couldn't understand why my parents insisted we leave as soon as the next movie started...the nerve! it was a cartoon, but I wasn't allowed to watch! ....then, years later, I watched Fritz the Cat, and understood why :D
    30 years? Crazy.
    Wow, that's awesome!!!

Kentucky Fried Movie!?!?! :lol: that made me lol...hadn't thought of that forever!

I saw the first one at a drive in cause I had the chicken pox....I don't know if it was during the original release...I assume it was...but I'd have been only four or five and I remember it vividly....
    I couldn't understand why my parents insisted we leave as soon as the next movie started...the nerve! it was a cartoon, but I wasn't allowed to watch! ....then, years later, I watched Fritz the Cat, and understood why :D
    Ahhhh yes!!! Might have been a little inappropriate :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Empire is the worst of the original 3 and quite possibly the worst overall. Flame away...
    #FHP
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Horos wrote:
    Empire is the worst of the original 3 and quite possibly the worst overall. Flame away...
    hmm the force is weak in this one

:) just kidding your allowed your opinion. I do disagree though. It is my favorite.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22