Pearl Jam will NEVER play the midwest (beside chicago) again

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I just checked ticketmaster and couldn't believe that these shows are not sold out yet:

K.C had 2 tix in section 101 row 17 available
St. Louis had 2 in section 301 row B left
Columbus had a pair in 304 row E

This is bizzare. Will they sell out by showtime?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nope. Out of sight out of mind. It's been so long since PJ visited, that people could care less in the Midwest or south. PJ isn't on the mainstream radio either, so all that people know in the midwest and south is Daughtry and Nickleback. It's sad:(
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Just because the show didn't sell out, doesn't mean they will never play there again
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    Davidtrios wrote:

Still having tickets in the 100 level is pretty sad though- I agree
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• I was surprised to see these too. I'd love to go to the KC show, but being on a Monday night and 200 miles away when I have to teach on Tuesday makes it difficult to justify. When I was a bit younger (with less responsibility) I would never have hesitated at picking up tickets. It's too bad more of the 'younger' generation doesn't seem to have the same zeal for PJ around here. Sadly, the most PJ the kids around here will get will be if they're in my classroom and I'm playing it.
    "A human being is a part of the whole called by us "the Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest-a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection of a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of understanding and compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." Albert Einstein
    mrwizardgi wrote:
    I was surprised to see these too. I'd love to go to the KC show, but being on a Monday night and 200 miles away when I have to teach on Tuesday makes it difficult to justify. When I was a bit younger (with less responsibility) I would never have hesitated at picking up tickets. It's too bad more of the 'younger' generation doesn't seem to have the same zeal for PJ around here. Sadly, the most PJ the kids around here will get will be if they're in my classroom and I'm playing it.
    ask for the day off- 200 miles is nothing for a PJ show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• I live closer to STL than Noblesville, and would prefer to see them in STL since it is closer, but having that show on a Tuesday night is what killed it for me... it is easier to take off of work and go to a show on a Friday night than it is for a Tuesday night.... plus also having to work the next day would suck...

So I picked Noblesville...

I would bet this show would have sold out if it was on a weekend... but since it isn't, it won't even come close to selling out! Also the venue they picked to play this show at is kind of a bummer and can be horrible at times for concerts... Might have had a better chance at a sell out if they played the Fox Theater again.

I am also glad that I picked Noblesville too... because this will be my first outdoor show of PJ!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Davidtrios wrote:
    I just checked ticketmaster and couldn't believe that these shows are not sold out yet:

304 in Columbus is behind the stage all the way at the top of the arena though. Not great seats at all.
    Being behind the stage but close is one thing, section 304 in this arena? not so cool.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I live closer to STL than Noblesville, and would prefer to see them in STL since it is closer, but having that show on a Tuesday night is what killed it for me... it is easier to take off of work and go to a show on a Friday night than it is for a Tuesday night.... plus also having to work the next day would suck...

I would bet this show would have sold out if it was on a weekend... but since it isn't, it won't even come close to selling out! Also the venue they picked to play this show at is kind of a bummer and can be horrible at times for concerts... Might have had a better chance at a sell out if they played the Fox Theater again.

I am also glad that I picked Noblesville too... because this will be my first outdoor show of PJ!

Noblesville is a nice place to see an outdoor show too ! Seen the boys there in 03. good times.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 897
    Columbus will sell out by showtime....mark my words.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    boston isn't sold out either, guess they will never play there again either
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Davidtrios wrote:

I wouldnt really be too concerned about STL and COL - I mean... 300s will keep selling out slowly until showtime. Maybe not a sold out place, but its going to look pretty full.

KC though - that's tough. I mean its a Monday night, first show of the tour and in an area they've ignored for so long. But still - I can't believe its still pulling in the 100s. I can only imagine what my TC tickets will be! :)
  • Denver would've sold out :) Although I suppose we're technically the West and not the Midwest.

KC is probably closest to me, but I can't afford traveling right now. It hurts me to know they're so close and yet so far :(
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    TheGossman wrote:
    :lol:
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • in eds treein eds tree Posts: 539
    i didn't know the boys had a rule that if they don't sell out a venue they will never play there again :roll:
    keep on rockin' in the free world.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    They usually only sell out a handful of shows. No shows outside Boston or NY will be sellouts, unless they are playin some smaller arenas. I don't think either Chicago show sold out last year. People were gettin tix til show time, right?
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Nope. Out of sight out of mind. It's been so long since PJ visited, that people could care less in the Midwest or south. PJ isn't on the mainstream radio either, so all that people know in the midwest and south is Daughtry and Nickleback. It's sad:(

alot of southern fans showed up in 08, Even the band seemed impressed.. It'd be just mean if they didnt come back there again..
  • RZ27566RZ27566 Posts: 57
    maybe if they put an ablum out that was good from start to finish these shows would sellout in the midwest, the midwest isn't a push over like other cities in the country that will just buy whatever crap they put out, I mean come on the last truly good ablum through and through was "Yield" thats what I said "Yield"
  • I agree that this assumption is also not true.

I mean they've always kind of had huge breaks coming to St. Louis and KC. They played Lolla in 1992, two nights in 1994 at the Fox Theatre, and then took a four year break.

Although they came in 1998,2000,2003,2004...so I'm not sure what they do but I'm sure this won't be the last time for the midwest.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Shoulda played Minneapolis/St. Paul. And Alpine.
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Guess this means they can't be called sellouts anymore, huh?
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    I like how NEVER is emphasised in the topic.

So because a show does not sell out that means that PJ will never perform there again? I would like to know the logic behind that statement.
    My butt itches!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    the wolf wrote:
    I live closer to STL than Noblesville, and would prefer to see them in STL since it is closer, but having that show on a Tuesday night is what killed it for me... it is easier to take off of work and go to a show on a Friday night than it is for a Tuesday night.... plus also having to work the next day would suck...

Noblesville is a nice place to see an outdoor show too ! Seen the boys there in 03. good times.

Noblesville will have to do if no Alpine Valley this year...AGAIN.
  • TheGossman wrote:
  • they probably wont play the midwest again anyway. they arent big on touring between the coasts anymore (except chicago). they got old :(
  • I know St. Louis in 2000 had plenty of tickets left day of and prices we're half off back then
  • DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 479
    These threads always bother me because everyone takes them so seriously... it always becomes a thinly veiled attempt to play a 'my city is better than yours' game ... really, is selling 2 shows out at MSG in a city of 6 bajillion people really a bigger accomplishment than getting one show of 17,000 at Indy? i don't know and i don't care...

PJ generally doesn't sell out arena shows in most cities anymore ... Columbia in 08 and Salt Lake City in 09 come to mind immediately ... 14,000 is still a solid crowd in a smaller market, so of course PJ would still want to play in places like that... wasn't one of the philly shows way below a sellout last year too?

Also, regarding Chicago last year and Boston this year, the only tickets unsold are behind the stage for the same price as floor seats ... not a great value to sit there for $90+ ... they could play six shows at each of those cities and get the same attendance because the sheer number of people within quick driving distance leads to a higher attendance naturally ...

The important part is that they are touring SOMEWHERE ... and i'll be wherever that is - maybe for one show, maybe for 5 shows
  • mnjamfanmnjamfan Posts: 83
    AndySlash wrote:
    Shoulda played Minneapolis/St. Paul. And Alpine.
    Agreed
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    Discopij wrote:
    These threads always bother me because everyone takes them so seriously... it always becomes a thinly veiled attempt to play a 'my city is better than yours' game ... really, is selling 2 shows out at MSG in a city of 6 bajillion people really a bigger accomplishment than getting one show of 17,000 at Indy? i don't know and i don't care...

PJ generally doesn't sell out arena shows in most cities anymore ... Columbia in 08 and Salt Lake City in 09 come to mind immediately ... 14,000 is still a solid crowd in a smaller market, so of course PJ would still want to play in places like that... wasn't one of the philly shows way below a sellout last year too?

Also, regarding Chicago last year and Boston this year, the only tickets unsold are behind the stage for the same price as floor seats ... not a great value to sit there for $90+ ... they could play six shows at each of those cities and get the same attendance because the sheer number of people within quick driving distance leads to a higher attendance naturally ...

The important part is that they are touring SOMEWHERE ... and i'll be wherever that is - maybe for one show, maybe for 5 shows

You hit the nail on the head my firend.
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Discopij wrote:

I agree with you 1,000 %!!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    PJ Tix are practically sold out in Boston. They opened up a section behind the stage.