why is the northeast such a hotbed for pearl jam fans?

2»

Comments

• KJ284707KJ284707 Posts: 16
    it's answer is very simple really...It's because WE FUCKING ROCK!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:8-)8-)

There you have it!!!!!!!!! :D
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    KJ284707 wrote:
    because there is like 30 million people in the metro area....more people means more pj fans

also means bigger odds for different bands to become ultra popular

im looking for the deeper connection

What's your take on it?

I FIRST HEARD jeremy in the back seat of my brother's car when it first broke and was mesmerized by the words
    i guess i was at that stage in my life where the album just struck a nerve in numerous ways
    my friends were into them for a few years but slowly swung over to the cRAP world ( kinda funny because they are all calling me up asking for MSG tickets )

honestly i really think my obsession stems from the fact that i didn't have many chances to see them till 96

i wasn't a member of the fanclub when they did the paramount in 94.. 2 weeks later i was :mrgreen:

my hunger built and built until that faithful randalls island weekend and then THE SHIT HIT THE FAN :mrgreen:

HOW CAN ONE NOT BE OBSESSED WITH A BAND THAT PUTS ON A SHOW LIKE THAT ;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    All of the above, and we're a more concentrated area in terms of population density. Love breeds love - you love Pearl Jam, and if you're in the Northeast you're probably going to get to see your band relatively frequently if you make some effort, without having to fly. The more you see them, the more you love them, sweep up other people in your wake, drag them along with you and it just cascades. The less lucky people that live in less population dense areas don't have as easy time to see PJ as we do, so they might love the band, but over time it might erode due to lack of being able to see them without much more effort. (Not speaking for anyone here, this is just speculation)
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    All of the above, and we're a more concentrated area in terms of population density. Love breeds love - you love Pearl Jam, and if you're in the Northeast you're probably going to get to see your band relatively frequently if you make some effort, without having to fly. The more you see them, the more you love them, sweep up other people in your wake, drag them along with you and it just cascades. The less lucky people that live in less population dense areas don't have as easy time to see PJ as we do, so they might love the band, but over time it might erode due to lack of being able to see them without much more effort. (Not speaking for anyone here, this is just speculation)

I AGREE WITH making others obsessed because i'am obsessed :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • KJ284707KJ284707 Posts: 16
    JaneNY wrote:

And big PJ fans breed little PJ fans. My six year old is asking when he can come to a show with his father and me. I was 7 months pregnant for him in '03 when we saw them in Mansfield. It's in his blood. :lol:
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    i also hate to say it buts its also about RELIGION ..........
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    joe2468 wrote:

people now are numb to it but back in thelate 80's early 90's IN THE MIDWEST you couldnt play anything on the radio unless the churches said it was ok ... HELL WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CHANGED THE JEREMY VIDEO???? its sad but its true .. the middle of the country is very religious and they forced it onto there kids ..the kids had no say in life back in the 80's-90's .. NOW PLACE YOURSELF IN NYC in the 80'-90's nobody gave a shit about anything ... black brown white gay straight .....alot more room FOR PERSONAL EXPRESSION ..famlies didnt push there kids into churches etc etc .. hell the ones that did came out laughing at what they learned .. i myself went to a public school in the late 80's early 90's but i have about 6 friends and a girlfriend who went to catholic school there entire life and now joke about the church ......

****** DONT TAKE ANY OF THIS THE WRONG WAY ... I RESPECT EVERYONES BELIEFS **********
    just stating what have noticed in my 33 years of living on the earth

so no need to attack me ...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    joe2468 wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

people now are numb to it but back in thelate 80's early 90's IN THE MIDWEST you couldnt play anything on the radio unless the churches said it was ok ... HELL WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CHANGED THE JEREMY VIDEO???? its sad but its true .. the middle of the country is very religious and they forced it onto there kids ..the kids had no say in life back in the 80's-90's .. NOW PLACE YOURSELF IN NYC in the 80'-90's nobody gave a shit about anything ... black brown white gay straight .....alot more room FOR PERSONAL EXPRESSION ..famlies didnt push there kids into churches etc etc .. hell the ones that did came out laughing at what they learned .. i myself went to a public school in the late 80's early 90's but i have about 6 friends and a girlfriend who went to catholic school there entire life and now joke about the church ......

****** DONT TAKE ANY OF THIS THE WRONG WAY ... I RESPECT EVERYONES BELIEFS **********
    just stating what have noticed in my 33 years of living on the earth

so no need to attack me ...

good point, well said
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

THIS!
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Two words:

Blue Collar

Pearl Jam, like Springsteen, is blue collar music. Big city, blue collar areas, like Philly, gravitate towards that type of music. Not just the lyrics, but the style of music. But, the lyrics are also semi-blue collar. I'd say in Philly, there are a few bands/artists played for that reason...

Springsteen
    Bon Jovi (yea, I'm not a fan either)
    Pearl Jam

One thing in common, blue collar-themed music.

Also, and probably equally important, towns like Philly, New York, Boston ect.... lead. They don't follow the new-age rock crap trap. They stick with what works. In Philly, we have three rock stations... all of which, play Pearl Jam.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    really its just numbers
    really

the NYC metro area by itself supports many different types of music-simply due to the sheer numbers of people
    even country is becoming popular in the city

its a quantitative conclusion, there is no qualitative variable involved-other than the high quality shows frequently played in the northeast-but that is not necessarily unique to the northeast

the only qualitative variable that comes to mind is the high number of competitive colleges and universities in the Northeast, along with an higher incidence of adults holding advanced degrees-boston, NYC, philly and DC have educated listeners-but Im not so sure that really matters as far as pearl jam is concerned
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Get_Right wrote:
    really its just numbers
    really

the NYC metro area by itself supports many different types of music-simply due to the sheer numbers of people
    even country is becoming popular in the city

its a quantitative conclusion, there is no qualitative variable involved-other than the high quality shows frequently played in the northeast-but that is not necessarily unique to the northeast

the only qualitative variable that comes to mind is the high number of competitive colleges and universities in the Northeast, along with an higher incidence of adults holding advanced degrees-boston, NYC, philly and DC have educated listeners-but Im not so sure that really matters as far as pearl jam is concerned

agreed.
    i think it's #s pure and simple as well.
    and it doesn't matter where a band is from, music is everywhere, it's universal....so it just makes sense that just about ANY band that has gotten big at any point in time, would still be able to preform in the NE to some sold out shows. there's just so damn many of us! also, i am sure $$$ comes into play, and while sure the recession has hit us all, perhaps the NE in general fares better, not as high unemployment, perhaps better education #s....that idk, just talkin' out my arse now :lol:.....just a few guesses to the longevity/popularity of many bands being able to fill concerts in the NE, period.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    awilkins wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

THIS!

Yes.
    You guys are denser! :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Lizard wrote:
    awilkins wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

THIS!

Yes.

doesn't say much for pearl jam then, eh? ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

they're lucky we still love em considering they never play here :mrgreen:
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    Ed explained it onstage (see my signature quote... )

we're WICKED SMAHHHRT!
    :roll:
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    SkeeterB wrote:
    Because the nottheast knows great music when they see and hear it.

How do you explain the Dropkick Murphys, then? ;)

bite your tounge
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

that's all it is....like asking why are there so FEW fans in Wyoming? (I know of TWO! :mrgreen: )
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    $
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    $

Hell yeah! I would of thought Pearl Jam tour's cities/places where fans/shoppers spend more of the Pearl Jam goodies. Surprised Halifax hasn't got them this year. I must be doing something wrong! :|
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    $

yea the band plays here for that reason , but we still had to arrive in this region :lol:
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    Lizard wrote:
    awilkins wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

THIS!

Yes.
    uh what?
    :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    I think it is a lot of things that have been mentioned (population, working class people interested in good stuff and rocking out) but I think an additional significant factor is climate. Cold winters hole us up and PJ gives us strength. we work hard in the cold rain and snow. We are sore. We want a drink a smoke and some Pearl Jam to keep us moving as the frost creeps through the window. Then in the summer we like to be as free as we can be with the music loud and elevating.
    As the world warms PJ will lose fans in the North East - you watch