why is the northeast such a hotbed for pearl jam fans?

neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
edited April 2010 in The Porch
why?
i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    The Leatherman's blood runs in their veins
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • SkeeterBSkeeterB Posts: 423
    Because the nottheast knows great music when they see and hear it. Now, if we can only disown those damn philadelphians. hehehehehe
    Fighting childhood obesity...
    www.amazingathletes.com/northchi
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    misery loves company
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    did we all just connect with the band 20 years ago?

or was it something deeper ? our enviroment? our lives?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Miserable people make miserable parents in the Northeast...hence, they all identified with Pearl Jam's angst early on. :lol:
    hippiemom = goodness
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Because we're all inbred and PJ love runs in the family.

Wait, that's why West Virginia is such a hotbed for pearl jam fans, sorry...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    SkeeterB wrote:
    Because the nottheast knows great music when they see and hear it.

How do you explain the Dropkick Murphys, then? ;)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Here is my theory, the northeast is a very rock oriented region. I'm from Tennessee, and country music to my region, is probably like rock up there, and something else I have noticed is wherever Pearl Jam put on a legendary show, they have a huge amount of fans, examples 96 Randall Island, 95 Soldier Field, 95 San Diego, 98 Great Woods, 98 MSG.
    Shows Attended
    2008 - Bonnaroo
    2009 - Chicago 1
    2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
    2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
    2012 - Music Midtown Festival
    2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
    2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
    Here is my theory, the northeast is a very rock oriented region. I'm from Tennessee, and country music to my region, is probably like rock up there, and something else I have noticed is wherever Pearl Jam put on a legendary show, they have a huge amount of fans, examples 96 Randall Island, 95 Soldier Field, 95 San Diego, 98 Great Woods, 98 MSG.

true but how the hell did a band from the opposite side of the country get so many nutjub fans over here?
  • Here is my theory, the northeast is a very rock oriented region. I'm from Tennessee, and country music to my region, is probably like rock up there, and something else I have noticed is wherever Pearl Jam put on a legendary show, they have a huge amount of fans, examples 96 Randall Island, 95 Soldier Field, 95 San Diego, 98 Great Woods, 98 MSG.

true but how the hell did a band from the opposite side of the country get so many nutjub fans over here?

They love rock music to begin with, Pearl Jam is arguably the biggest band in 96, they play Randall Island for nearly 3 hours. That converts a lot of casual fans to diehards, and a lot of the other people say to themselves "jesus, this band puts on an amazing show, they are the greatest live band since Led Zeppelin/Grateful Dead/??"
    Shows Attended
    2008 - Bonnaroo
    2009 - Chicago 1
    2010 - St Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Washington D.C
    2011 - Pearl Jam Twenty Festival
    2012 - Music Midtown Festival
    2013 - Wrigley, Dallas, Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis, Memphis
    2016- Greenville, Lexington, Bonnaroo, Wrigley 1
    Here is my theory, the northeast is a very rock oriented region. I'm from Tennessee, and country music to my region, is probably like rock up there, and something else I have noticed is wherever Pearl Jam put on a legendary show, they have a huge amount of fans, examples 96 Randall Island, 95 Soldier Field, 95 San Diego, 98 Great Woods, 98 MSG.

They love rock music to begin with, Pearl Jam is arguably the biggest band in 96, they play Randall Island for nearly 3 hours. That converts a lot of casual fans to diehards, and a lot of the other people say to themselves "jesus, this band puts on an amazing show, they are the greatest live band since Led Zeppelin/Grateful Dead/??"

yea but don't forget randall's island was the "pain in the ass" ticket phase

so alot of people might have been turned off b4 the show ever happened
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342

People in the northeast are, generally speaking, really passionate/crazy/nutjobby over lots of stuff, especially sports. It doesn't surprise me they approach Pearl Jam the same way.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,841
    population density
    its a numbers game
    Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

that obviously has something to do with it but considering rap was exploding around here from the mid 80's on it still seems abit weird to me
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

People in the northeast are, generally speaking, really passionate/crazy/nutjobby over lots of stuff, especially sports. It doesn't surprise me they approach Pearl Jam the same way.

This is a great point, one that I have never considered before. I had always just attributed it to population and nothing else.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    JimmyV wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

This is a great point, one that I have never considered before. I had always just attributed it to population and nothing else.

Maybe it's just a combination of the two - a shitload of people in one place who all like to go crazy over things
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

Maybe it's just a combination of the two - a shitload of people in one place who all like to go crazy over things

but why pearl jam ?

a million bands have come and gone
  • Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

Get Right gets it right!
  • Get_Right wrote:
    population density
    its a numbers game

Get Right gets it right!

Exactly. The area between Boston and DC contains almost a third of the country's population. It's simple math.
  • KJ284707KJ284707 Posts: 16
    neilybabes86-

Why not Pearl Jam. I can only speak for myself, but I became a fan in '92 and haven't stopped listening to them since. I'm not sure if I'd be such a huge fan if they kept giving us "Ten" over and over again, and frankly I'm not sure they'd still be around if they did (not that there is anything wrong with "Ten"-great album). Their music has evolved with each album just like we grow up as human beings. They love what they do and we love them for it. Hands down they are, in my opinion (and we all know what that's worth :lol: ), the BEST band ever.

Again, I'm only speaking for myself and I happen to be from the northeast. Maybe we're all like-minded up here. Someone said we're all passionate about sports, too. And yes, I do love my Red Sox and Patriots. Who knows.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    because there is like 30 million people in the metro area....more people means more pj fans
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
    because there is like 30 million people in the metro area....more people means more pj fans

also means bigger odds for different bands to become ultra popular

im looking for the deeper connection
  • KJ284707KJ284707 Posts: 16

also means bigger odds for different bands to become ultra popular

im looking for the deeper connection

What's your take on it?
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180

MTV

Remember when this Music Channel show those things called music videos and concerts? Here in the north east there is nothing to do in the winter. So we watched MTV and were teased with only a few PJ videos and one unplugged show.
    My butt itches!
  • From an outside perspective:
    It is not just population density. If the majority of PJ's fans are in their late 20's or early 30's then we are talking about people with jobs. People with jobs work in big cities. There are a lot of large cities in the Northeast. So you take a lot of dudes who were kids in the 90s and they migrate to where the jobs are and they see a few great shows--because PJ has always played those big cities even as early as 1991. They played a lot of shows in the Northeast early on. The Northeast has a much more fast paced lifestyle and as someone said this meshes with rock music. So this explains part of the overpopulation of PJ fans. Jobs bring dudes and dudes like PJ.

The other part....look at the passion for the Yankees or Red Sox, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, etc. I think a lot of this comes from the idea that people do not leave the Northeast. They become attached. I do not know the overall demographic but my guess is that these three cities: New York, Philly, and Boston have high concentrations of men who have lived there their whole lives. So they may have been seeing Pearl Jam since 1991 and have developed a kind of marriage with the band that you cannot break.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Sila wrote:

MTV

Remember when this Music Channel show those things called music videos and concerts? Here in the north east there is nothing to do in the winter. So we watched MTV and were teased with only a few PJ videos and one unplugged show.

There's a GREAT channel on Comcast called "Palledia" (sp?) they show videos, cool concerts and things of that such. They usual show The Who rock honours and PJ story tellers from time to time! Oh yeah, I am from Boston all my life and I'm a "crazy" Pearl Jam and sports fan too!!!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    Ill tell you what i think it is ...... its all about the RADIO AND RADIO PLAY !!!!!!!!! New York is a RAP / HIP HOP/ ROCK kinda state ...back in the early late 80's early 90's when somthing new was about to hit the airwaves they played it first in NEW YORK/ L.A. ...where "cool people" live .. i had family all over the country growing up if i ever ask them...hy did you hear the pearl jam song .. they would say no .. they wouldnt hear it till months down the road.. it was kinda funny .. ..
    I'll put money i can tell you the NIGHT PEOPLE BECAME FANS OF PEARL JAM...... it was a late monday night on MTv a little show called "HEADBANGERS ball" hosted by Matt Pinnfield/ Ricky rackman (dont remeber) ... they played everything SOUNDGARDEN,STP, NIRVANA and a little band called Pearl Jam ... the next day i went to school EVERY one was talking about it ..we all skipped our last few classes and went to record store ....THE REST IS HISTORY ...im talking 20+ kids .. a few of us joined the fan club with in days ..now when ever they tour in the NYC area we get tickets and we all sit together ... its kinda cool .. our numbers are all about 100 apart

does anyone remember HEADBANGERS BALL on MTv late night 12am??????????? and since that channel was a cable channel alot of people in the MIDWEST didnt get it for a while
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    i think joe has it right. Radio def is a huuuge factor. Besides for polulation density resulting in more potential fans, it also means more radio stations with more variety and larger followings.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• it's answer is very simple really...It's because WE FUCKING ROCK!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:8-)8-)
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    ActionJack wrote:
    i think joe has it right. Radio def is a huuuge factor. Besides for polulation density resulting in more potential fans, it also means more radio stations with more variety and larger followings.

dude i know, that kid said i was wrong hahah. Its definately the major reason but he is searching for a deeper meaning. Maybe its this.... "everyone around the northeast hates eachothers sports teams so we all have to find a common interest and reason to ban together and become better than the west coast. So we all love PJ....." yea thats definately the reason
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself