Say what you say...

2»

Comments

• fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    MAS wrote:
    yes, its that spiritual connection I have found with Pearl Jam that no other band can touch.

See that's what im talkin about... Soooooo many people feel this way...Too many not to recognize it...If you want I'm sure you can ramble off names of bands who have a tremendous list of great studio albums, however,this band's first 9 albums give their fans MANY quality songs that are extremely meaningful and personal to untold thousands...that's my point...

the beatles have that connection and have had that connection for almost 50 years. not to mention, their studio albums give their fans more quality songs that are meaningful and personal to millions upon millions.
    what sticks out the most for me with the beatles is that you can't name a bad album of theirs. every single one is pure art and genius (it takes a lot for me to admit something is genius cause i think that word is thrown around too much). with pearl jam, there are certain albums of theirs that lack. when you compare yield to riot act, or viltalogy to binaural, you can clearly see a distinct drop in innovation. now compare help to sgt. pepper's, or abbey road to revolver, or rubber soul to the white album... they're all amazing.
    i would love to think that in 50 years people will look back at pearl jam and think that they were the greatest band to come out of the 90s (cause they were), that ed was one of the best song writers of his generation (cause he is) and that they influenced many bands in later years (cause they have)... i just don't think that all pearl jam's albums are up to pearl jam's standards... they could have done better with a few.

sorry, i just got back from class and i'm in a mood to rant. now off to call of duty to pwn some noobs
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,764
    MAS wrote:
    yes, its that spiritual connection I have found with Pearl Jam that no other band can touch.

See that's what im talkin about... Soooooo many people feel this way...Too many not to recognize it...If you want I'm sure you can ramble off names of bands who have a tremendous list of great studio albums, however,this band's first 9 albums give their fans MANY quality songs that are extremely meaningful and personal to untold thousands...that's my point...

the beatles have that connection and have had that connection for almost 50 years. not to mention, their studio albums give their fans more quality songs that are meaningful and personal to millions upon millions.
    what sticks out the most for me with the beatles is that you can't name a bad album of theirs. every single one is pure art and genius (it takes a lot for me to admit something is genius cause i think that word is thrown around too much). with pearl jam, there are certain albums of theirs that lack. when you compare yield to riot act, or viltalogy to binaural, you can clearly see a distinct drop in innovation. now compare help to sgt. pepper's, or abbey road to revolver, or rubber soul to the white album... they're all amazing.
    i would love to think that in 50 years people will look back at pearl jam and think that they were the greatest band to come out of the 90s (cause they were), that ed was one of the best song writers of his generation (cause he is) and that they influenced many bands in later years (cause they have)... i just don't think that all pearl jam's albums are up to pearl jam's standards... they could have done better with a few.

sorry, i just got back from class and i'm in a mood to rant. now off to call of duty to pwn some noobs

100% agree. The Beatles. Period.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I think PJ is very derivitive. And that's not a bad thing. Real bands are products of their influences. What great band isn't?

I'll take Zeps studio work over PJ's all day

I'm not saying I perfer Pearl Jam over Zeppelin or Zeppelin over the Jam but Zeppelins studio collection is very fucking impressive, especially when you look at how fast Zeppelin cranked some of those records out.

My wife is a Zeppelin freak and I'm a Pearl Jam freak and we've listened to both bands entire catalogs, all though you couldn't have had the Jam without Zeppelin setting the fore ground first for the style of music Pearl Jam came to record. That just my opinion.
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - West Palm Beach, St. Louis, Champaign, Bonner Springs, and East Troy
    2004 - St. Louis, Asheville, and Kissimmee
    2005 - Kitchener and London, Ontario
    2006 - Chicago Night 1, Cincinnati, and St. Paul Night 1
    2007 - Lollapalooza
    2010 - St. Louis and Noblesville
    2011 - East Troy PJ20 Night 1 and Night 2
    2013 - Wrigley and Oklahoma City
    2014 - St. Louis and Memphis
    2016 - Lexington
    2018 - Wrigley Night 1 

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    MAS wrote:
    Stack PJ's first 9 studio albums against ANYBODY else's at all....Nobody comes even close....

Led Zeppelin I
    Led Zeppelin II
    Led Zeppelin III
    Led Zeppelin IV
    Houses of the Holy
    Physical Graffitti
    Presence
    In through the out door

Can I bring in Song Remains the Same, BBC Sessions or How the West Was Won?
    Or do we need to compare Coda against Backspacer? Id probably go with Coda
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • ty9969ty9969 Posts: 48
    The beatles weren't putting out Sgt. Pepper or the white album early on. They were making sort of goofy pop songs that made little girls scream.
    Radiohead's not at 9 and Kid A, really?
    Zeppelin's career is kind of similar to PJ's.
    Of course everything is relative to taste, but PJ have managed to keep me interested every step of the way. As far as my taste goes Pearl Jam's discography can't be touched.
  • RiotZact wrote:
    MAS wrote:
    Stack PJ's first 9 studio albums against ANYBODY else's at all....Nobody comes even close....

Wait there are other people that make music besides pearl jam?!?!

I got the springsteen, uncle neil, beatles, stones, the who, zepplin and dylan. Help me find other bands that have 9 records to compare.
  • MAS wrote:

hey...i love PJ too....but let's be realistic buddy!!

1 Led Zeppelin
    2 Led Zeppelin II
    3 Led Zeppelin III
    4 Led Zeppelin IV
    5 Houses Of The Holy
    6 Physical Graffiti
    7 Presence
    8 The Song Remains The Same
    9 In Through The Out Door
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    MAS wrote:

In my own opinion :D
  • IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    MAS wrote:
    MAS wrote:

In my own opinion :D

For me it is Pearl Jam for sure. I have to ask myself, "Are there any other bands in which I *know* their music and lyrics like the back of my hand? No way!!!" But because I know their great music so well, I am biased and can't be objective.

In an attempt to be objective...
    Here are some contemporaries (founded by at least 1990) comprised of rock and other genres that I think could argue their own point...

Beck (11 albums... in my opinion the closest contemporary to being "as good" as Pearl Jam)
    Stereolab (9 studio albums not counting their compilations, which might as well be called Stereolab studio albums... 16 if you count those)
    Dave Matthews Band (8 studio... I don't really care for "DMB", one might say I have a distain for them, but this opinion doesn't mean they aren't accomplished, or good... all of the other bands in this list I love... so...)
    Tortoise (10 albums)
    Outkast (7 albums)
    Radiohead (7 albums)
    Ben Harper (11 albums)
    The Flaming Lips (12 albums)
    Medeski Martin and Wood (17 albums)
    The Sea and Cake (10 albums)

*I could be off by 1 with some of these album totals... I was searching my iTunes.
  • HoochHooch Posts: 37
    MB999 wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:
    MAS wrote:

Wait there are other people that make music besides pearl jam?!?!

I got the springsteen, uncle neil, beatles, stones, the who, zepplin and dylan. Help me find other bands that have 9 records to compare.

Pink Floyd
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • I couldn't agree more.
  • MAS wrote:

hey...i love PJ too....but let's be realistic buddy!!

1 Led Zeppelin
    2 Led Zeppelin II
    3 Led Zeppelin III
    4 Led Zeppelin IV
    5 Houses Of The Holy
    6 Physical Graffiti
    7 Presence
    8 The Song Remains The Same
    9 In Through The Out Door
    heh im not a huge fan of Zep's or PJ's later albums. but they both know how to make five incredibly awesome ones (with a few bright spots later)!

Hopefully PJ will more closely resemble LEd Zep than the Rolling Stones, though :(. and i LOVE early Rolling Stones more than the Beatles.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    But give me that bomb beat from Dre
    Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • But give me that bomb beat from Dre
    heh you beat me to it.
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    But give me that bomb beat from Dre

Dam you Tupac!!!!!