trying to get a friend into pearl jam?

PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
edited April 2010 in The Porch
my friend has never really heard pearl jam so im gonna burn him a cd, since he burned me a sublime cd.
Anyways what songs should i put on it? He doesn't really know any of their songs.

Thanks!
Shows:
Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• all of yield.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    moe.ron wrote:
    all of yield.

hmm yes but I should also include some modern day pearl jam
    Shows:
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    just do some of the greatest hits with backspacer . done !!

instead of burning a CD . i would check his pulse . WTF never hear PJ > the modern day : Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin Ect................
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    gods dice
    brain of j
    insignifigance
    red mosquito
    hail hail
    evolution
    off he goes
    thin air
    light years
    lukin
    parachutes
    inside job
    army reserve
    speed of sound
    sleight of hand
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Greatest Hits + Backspacer - +1
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    gods dice
    brain of j
    insignifigance
    red mosquito
    hail hail
    evolution
    off he goes
    thin air
    light years
    lukin
    parachutes
    inside job
    army reserve
    speed of sound
    sleight of hand

I agree these are all great songs, but is this really good for a starter? I remember Ten is what really got me into Pearl Jam, and then I listened to the later stuff and realized how while Ten was great, it was really just one piece of the puzzle.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
    thefin190 wrote:
    gods dice
    brain of j
    insignifigance
    red mosquito
    hail hail
    evolution
    off he goes
    thin air
    light years
    lukin
    parachutes
    inside job
    army reserve
    speed of sound
    sleight of hand

I agree these are all great songs, but is this really good for a starter? I remember Ten is what really got me into Pearl Jam, and then I listened to the later stuff and realized how while Ten was great, it was really just one piece of the puzzle.
    I don't know.. Ten is good.. Thats what started it for me also.. but aside from bootlegs, i don't really listen to their first three albums anymore.. IMO it just seems they got so much better from No Code on... Riot act would be another that i tend to skip a song or two
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    whatever it contains, it MUST contain Faithfull.
    doompony wrote:
    whatever it contains, it MUST contain Faithfull.
    agreed.. i forgot that one
  • thefin190 wrote:
    gods dice
    brain of j
    insignifigance
    red mosquito
    hail hail
    evolution
    off he goes
    thin air
    light years
    lukin
    parachutes
    inside job
    army reserve
    speed of sound
    sleight of hand

I don't know.. Ten is good.. Thats what started it for me also.. but aside from bootlegs, i don't really listen to their first three albums anymore.. IMO it just seems they got so much better from No Code on... Riot act would be another that i tend to skip a song or two

Yeah, but like you said Ten started it for you. The average person that doesn't know Pearl Jam probably won't hear a bunch of Binaural songs and be like "dood this is awesome!" Seriously, Gods' Dice for a starter? Give the kid Ten. It's not my favorite pearl jam album but it's a god damn fuckin' American classic.

A PJ cd I'd make for myself would include Present Tense, In Hiding, No Way, Ghost, You Are, Inside Job, RVM, Immortality, Smile, I Got Shit, Unthought Known, 1/2 Full, and so on.

A PJ cd I'd make for someone who doesn't know PJ would include pretty much of Ten, esp Even Flow, Alive, Jeremy, Black, Porch...and also Better man, Daughter, RVM, Animal, the Fixer, Just Breathe, Corduroy, Yellow Ledbetter, Do the Evolution...

Big difference between the two cds. The popular ones are usually the best way to introduce somebody to any band, not the ones I'm into.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    any album or song will do!
    danny d
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    me too.

I'm going to 2 concerts--one with the hubz and one with a good friend whom has NEVER been to ANY rock concerts! still in a bit of shock about that. so my husband has already been to one with me before, but my friend Laura hasn't . What songs should I burn on a cd for her?

She knows the ones on the radio and most of Ten, so I'll put those on there. but what others?
    so far I've got :

SOLAT
    Breathe
    Just Breathe
    Fixer
    Unthought Known
    Save You
    Given to Fly
    Bee Girl
    Who You Are

...b/c they are some of my faves.

She likes classic rock, Pink Floyd, 80's, and rap. what other PJ songs might she get into ya think?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,967
    Bring him to a show... that will get the job done.

I'm bringing a buddy of mine from work to MSG 1 and he's never seen PJ. I've been emailing him links to various youtube performances to give him an idea of what he can expect.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs wrote:

I'm bringing a buddy of mine from work to MSG 1 and he's never seen PJ. I've been emailing him links to various youtube performances to give him an idea of what he can expect.

great idear. I should e-mail her some youtube links. oh, youtube, what would us poor folk do without you? :lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Live version of Nothing As It Seems.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think you said she is a girl?? Include Come Back, Inside Job, Parting Ways, Indifference, Alone and Smile these will touch her heart. Eddie writes the most beautiful lyrics
    and I think someone said the entire Backspacer cd I agree with that too. Its their new sound and shows Eddie in a solo light also similar to EV Into the Wild.
    edited April 2010
    pandora wrote:
    I think you said she is a girl?? Include Come Back, Inside Job, Parting Ways, Indifference, Alone and Smile these will touch her heart. Eddie writes the most beautiful lyrics
    and I think someone said the entire Backspacer cd I agree with that too. Its their new sound and shows Eddie in a solo light also similar to EV Into the Wild.

sweet. I know this goes for the original poster to this thread also, but thank you for the advice. I was thinking my friend might like Smile and Indifference just starting off. I'm afraid if I make 2 cds for her she'll be overwhelmed by the awesomeness, so I'm going to have to condense into one cd probably.
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    Even Flow
    Once
    Alive
    Porch
    Garden

Go
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Leash
    Indifference

Last Exit
    Spin The Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman
    Whipping
    Corduroy
    Satan's Bed
    Better Man
    Immortality

Sometimes
    Hail, Hail
    Who You Are
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Off He Goes
    Red Mosquito
    Lukin
    Present Tense

Brain Of J.
    Faithfull
    Given To Fly
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    MFC
    All Those Yesterdays

Breakerfall
    Gods' Dice
    Nothing As it Seems
    Insignificance
    Of The Girl
    Grievance
    Sleight Of Hand

Can't Keep
    Save You
    Cropduster
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    Get Right
    Green Disease
    All Or None

Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Army Reserve
    Inside Job

Gonna See My Friend
    Got Some
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Supersonic
    Force of Nature
    The End

Now if you can fit all these on a CD ;)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Just give them live on 2 legs and say "your welcome"
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I once made a mix for a friend, 3 (short) CDs...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=120014

I made some changes though, like putting in Not for you instead of STBC.
    I enjoy listening to this too :D
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,940
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    Even Flow
    Once
    Alive
    Porch
    Garden

Go
    Daughter
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Leash
    Indifference

Last Exit
    Spin The Black Circle
    Not For You
    Tremor Christ
    Nothingman
    Whipping
    Corduroy
    Satan's Bed
    Better Man
    Immortality

Sometimes
    Hail, Hail
    Who You Are
    In My Tree
    Smile
    Off He Goes
    Red Mosquito
    Lukin
    Present Tense

Brain Of J.
    Faithfull
    Given To Fly
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    MFC
    All Those Yesterdays

Breakerfall
    Gods' Dice
    Nothing As it Seems
    Insignificance
    Of The Girl
    Grievance
    Sleight Of Hand

Can't Keep
    Save You
    Cropduster
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    Get Right
    Green Disease
    All Or None

Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Army Reserve
    Inside Job

Gonna See My Friend
    Got Some
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unthought Known
    Supersonic
    Force of Nature
    The End

Now if you can fit all these on a CD ;)
    Whoa!!!! That rocks!!!!!

DO IT!!! You know you want to!! about 3 - 3 1/2 discs there?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

sweet. I know this goes for the original poster to this thread also, but thank you for the advice. I was thinking my friend might like Smile and Indifference just starting off. I'm afraid if I make 2 cds for her she'll be overwhelmed by the awsomeness, so I'm going to have to condense into one cd probably.
    no such thing as too much Pearl Jam but leave her wanting more, like you said, thats always good and we all know she'll be wanting more.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    tie him to a chair for the day and watch dvds and play cds youll have a good time and yourll convert your mate. although he shouldnt need converting if he doesnt like pj KILL HIM :lol::lol::lol:
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Burn them a copy of the Benny Hall CD and they should be hooked
  • I think you almost have to go through PJ's music chronologically to get into them. When you're becoming a fan you love all that hard, heavy, rockin stuff from Ten and Vs. Then you hear the calmer, more reflective material from No Code, Yield, upward. And you think both are awesome and you can't believe the same band is doing that. My opinion anyway.

No Way was the first PJ tune my girlfriend liked. Then I gave her Yield and she was amazed.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • markbushymarkbushy Posts: 28
    on2legs wrote:

THIS
    Took my girlfriend to a show last year. She only knew alive and maybe evenflow beforehand, but it didn't matter cause now she's like a demented Pearl Jam crackhead lol. Always listening to Pearl Jam which isn't a bad thing and she's literally counting down the days to the next show :D
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I think you almost have to go through PJ's music chronologically to get into them. When you're becoming a fan you love all that hard, heavy, rockin stuff from Ten and Vs. Then you hear the calmer, more reflective material from No Code, Yield, upward. And you think both are awesome and you can't believe the same band is doing that. My opinion anyway.

No Way was the first PJ tune my girlfriend liked. Then I gave her Yield and she was amazed.
    I disagree, hearing Worldwide suicide when i was 14 got me really addicted even thoni heard te older stuff from my parents
    Shows:
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Lukin - Not For You (Modern Girl)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    I think you almost have to go through PJ's music chronologically to get into them. When you're becoming a fan you love all that hard, heavy, rockin stuff from Ten and Vs. Then you hear the calmer, more reflective material from No Code, Yield, upward. And you think both are awesome and you can't believe the same band is doing that. My opinion anyway.

I disagree, hearing Worldwide suicide when i was 14 got me really addicted even thoni heard te older stuff from my parents
    Oh man this makes me feel old!!
  • made us stars wrote:

Haha that's funny, just about the same story from me. My dad blared their stuff and I never really cared for it, but I really liked World Wide Suicide when it came out and that got me hooked. I just kind of blindly stumbled through whatever CDs I could find after that, having no idea of the chronology. When I found it out, and took it that way, it seemed a lot simpler and hooked me even more that way.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!