eddie just played with the who at the albertt hall

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    chime wrote:
    Am just on the train in my way home from the gig. To say Brisk and I got a little excited the first time Ed walked on may be an understatement :P Ed had his own little platform and was sporting Rock Star shades. Definitely made what was always going to be an amazing night a little bit more special.

:D:D
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    From rear-view, I gotta say, I'm impressed at how quickly I figured out who that guest was just by looking at the back of this guy's head.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:
    From rear-view, I gotta say, I'm impressed at how quickly I figured out who that guest was just by looking at the back of this guy's head.

I knew it instantly, but i went through 2 seconds of denial and was like oh balls show him on the screen just incase!
  • Here is my pictorial evidence that Ed was in fact at the RAH tonight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59794835@N00/sets/72157623737913314/

Did I have kick ass 4th row seats? YES

Did I require a new pair of undies when Ed jumped on stage a few songs in? HELL YES

Gig of the Year so far.

ROCK ON!!
    Here is my pictorial evidence that Ed was in fact at the RAH tonight:

Did I require a new pair of undies when Ed jumped on stage a few songs in? HELL YES

Gig of the Year so far.

ROCK ON!!

THANKS FLEUR!!!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,415
    Brisk. wrote:

Thank you Sandra indeed! :D
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Brisk. wrote:

Awesome!!!!!!!!!! So good!
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    OMG

thanks to all who sent the updates/pics/video!!!!

YUM
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Here is my pictorial evidence that Ed was in fact at the RAH tonight:

Gig of the Year so far.

ROCK ON!!

Thanks so much! I'm friends with Sandra and she told me you were going to post these pictures. We were just waiting anxiously :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Absolutely awesome! Thanks soooo much!!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • nigelnigel Posts: 267
    Here's a longer clip...

(the right way up ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9IKSzcc0g

How fucking cool does Eddie look!

Looks like an amazing night for a brilliant cause. Wish I had been there!
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    vito wrote:
    For me personally there is nothing greater in music then my favorite singer(Eddie) playing w/ my favorite guitar player, rock star, writer, etc...(Pete)! I have seen this combination 3 times in my life, but nothing was better then when they played Heart To Hang Onto and Magic Bus at the House of Blues in Chicago back in 97'!

were you at The Supper Club in NYC?
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Wow. That is pretty cool for Ed, & for us! :-)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    any footage anywhere?
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    belfast1 there are some links on the previous page.

I still can't stop :mrgreen::D:mrgreen::D today at work. Last night should help get me through today :lol:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • milanmilan Posts: 447
    edited March 2010
    Go to my thread on the GIVEN TO FLY section - I told you about this 2 months ago.

Milan
    Post edited by milan on
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    chime wrote:
    belfast1 there are some links on the previous page.

I still can't stop :mrgreen::D:mrgreen::D today at work. Last night should help get me through today :lol:

nice - sorry i was being lazy
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    chime wrote:
    Am just on the train in my way home from the gig. To say Brisk and I got a little excited the first time Ed walked on may be an understatement :P Ed had his own little platform and was sporting Rock Star shades. Definitely made what was always going to be an amazing night a little bit more special.
    AWESOME!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • little confused..... i thought i read Eddie also played I'm One?

Just found this from last night....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpX_iNaA3vE
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    little confused..... i thought i read Eddie also played I'm One?

Just found this from last night....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpX_iNaA3vE

he didnt.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... enia-show/

Eddie Vedder Joins the Who for Powerhouse “Quadrophenia” Show

3/31/10, 10:02 am EST

There was an elegiac quality to the Who’s performance of Quadrophenia at London’s Royal Albert Hall last night, which marked the 10th anniversary of benefit shows in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust charity. Roger Daltrey, the prime mover behind the benefit, has said that this is the last time the Who will stage their 1973 rock opera (they first toured it in 1996), and Pete Townshend, who is suffering from severe tinnitus, warned that if the show went badly he would have to retire from live performance all together (read more on his condition here). The concert’s wildly enthusiastic reception should at least delay that decision for a while longer.

Looking back to the heady summer of 1964, when warring mods and rockers turned British seaside resorts into battlegrounds, Quadrophenia was steeped in nostalgia from the start, and now the album itself is a period piece from a time when it briefly seemed as if any ambitious band might be expected to turn its hand to a rock opera. These days rock fans get their narrative kicks from hit-packed jukebox musicals rather than dense album-length dramas: not even the Who-loving Green Day are willing to go quite this far.

Last night’s show suggested a few reasons why. For one thing, it is logistically demanding: the six-man band (with Pino Palladino and Zak Starkey replacing the late John Entwistle and Keith Moon) was augmented by a brass section, two string players and two surprise guest vocalists, Eddie Vedder and Kasabian frontman Tom Meighan. For another, it requires nothing less than total conviction. The narrative is so overwrought, even sometimes borderline comical, that any lapse in intensity would have tipped it into Spinal Tap territory.

Daltrey and Townshend may now be bespectacled sexagenarians, but they retain a slashing vigor. The singer still swung his mike cord like a bolas while the guitarist retained his trademark move of raising his arm high above his head before bringing it crashing down on his guitar strings. His playing was virtuosic, moving, on “5:15″ between bluesy licks, shredding solos and savage power chords, but also, more crucially, fueled by an enduring rage. The climactic one-two punch of “The Rock” and “Love Reign O’er Me” was drama worthy of this storied, 19th century venue.

The Who’s star reinforcements held nothing back either. A leonine Vedder conducted a heavweight duet with Daltrey on “The Punk and the Godfather”; Meighan gamely threw himself into the album’s least convincing song, “Bell Boy” by wearing a bellhop’s uniform and ferrying luggage with such am-dram dedication that he seemed to be daring the audience to laugh. The three vocalists, each representing different musical eras, convened in an ad hoc supergroup on “I’ve Had Enough.” Only the poorly acted filmed inserts, broadcast on a screen above the stage, risked making the whole project appear cumbersome. But throughout the night, Quadrophenia’s conceptual excess was anchored by its sheer physical power. Ultimately, none of the album’s ambitious narrative techniques proved quite as eloquent as a single blast from Townshend’s guitar.

Set List

“I Am the Sea”
    “The Real Me”
    “Quadrophenia”
    “Cut My Hair”
    “The Punk and the Godfather” (with Eddie Vedder)
    “I’m One”
    “The Dirty Jobs”
    “Helpless Dancer”
    “Is It in My Head?”
    “I’ve Had Enough” (with Eddie Vedder and Tom Meighan)
    “5:15″
    “Sea and Sand” (with Eddie Vedder and Tom Meighan)
    “Drowned” (Townshend solo)
    “Bell Boy” (with Tom Meighan)
    “Doctor Jimmy”
    “The Rock”
    “Love, Reign O’er Me”
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    Very cool, Awesome thread. Thank you for the video links
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    Awesome! The Who still fucking rock!!
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    go check out Ds face book page he has VIDEO UP !!!!!!!!!!!
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • SH145645SH145645 Posts: 2
    I was also lucky enough to be at the gig and it was awesome! I have some video footage too so i will attempt to put it on You Tube.
  • Is Ed wearing the puffy shirt?
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 2,029
    No I wasn't at the Supper club. Have seen Eddie w/ PT at the House of Blues, w/ the WHO at the same venue and finally w/ PT on Letterman.

Just finished Quadrophenia. Now I remember why I took this w/ me when I traveled through Europe for 4 months back in 97! This is my DESERT ISLAND ALBUM, it just never gets old! The anger and frustration talks to every GENERATION. It certainly spoke to me when I was young and obviously this album changed Eddie's life for the better.

"On the dry and dusty road
    The nights we spend apart alone
    I need to get back home to cool cool rain
    I can't sleep and I lay and I think
    The night is hot and black as ink
    Oh God, I need a drink of cool cool rain"

Whoever's going see you in Columbus...will be my 20th PJ show...V
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    News
    TALKIN' 'BOUT OUR REGENERATION ... THE WHO ROAR BACK ON STAGE; REVIEW - THE WHO; TEENAGE CANCER TRUST. ROYAL ALBERT HALL

31 March 2010
    The Evening Standard
    NS

Roger Daltrey has toiled for a decade to help stage fundraising gigs for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

He's probably never worked harder than during this rare performance of Quadrophenia for the finale of the 2010 concert series.

The sprawling rock opera about adolescent mod Jimmy's mental turmoil proved difficult to play live when released in 1973, and The Who finally toured the whole album successfully in the late Nineties.

Thirteen years on they recruited Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam and Kasabian's Tom Meighan, alongside a stage full of proficient musicians, for this one-off charity show.

The pressure was really on Daltrey, though, to deliver a physically demanding vocal for 90 minutes.

During The Real Me, it seemed doubtful his voice would last, but the tireless 66-year-old manfully blasted his way through the set.

There were stark moments, such as Pete Townshend's acoustic solo spot on Drowned, however this show was really about the unsurpassed rock '*' roll power of The Who.

While Vedder was well cast as the godfather character, Meighan appeared a bit uncertain ‹ his role required a modicum of acting ability ‹ but he brought some swagger and clearly had fun dressed as a bellboy astride a scooter.

It was the songs that really excited this audience, though, and the band clattered and roared magnificently on I've Had Enough and 5.15, powered by Townshend's monumental riffs.

Perhaps it's too much to ask of pop star pensioners, but this rock opera really should go out on tour one more time.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river