***ECHOES: Pearl Jam's new interviews (new)

KatKat Posts: 4,842
edited April 2010 in The Porch
What the guys are saying....

3.31.10 ecopolitology, Stone interview, chart
http://ecopolitology.org/2010/03/30/pea ... nt-page-1/

3.30.10 Ethiopian Review, Stone interview, charts
http://www.ethiopianreview.com/news/31830

3.30.10 Seattle Times, Stone interview
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... le30m.html

3.30.10 Reuters UK, Stone interview
http://smallbusiness.uk.reuters.com/201 ... o-climate/
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153
    wow, some harsh comments by the readers.
    PJ44
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    wow, some harsh comments by the readers.

everyone's a hero from behind their keyboard

thanks for sharing Kat!!
  • hey....that one dude was right....Carbon emmission credits are a fucking scam.....sad to see the band get taken for a ride on that one....i know they care about the environment but how about bringing awareness to REAL problems! like that island of plastic out in the Pacific that has grown to the size of Texas....or the fucking chemtrails that the Government sprays on us all every day that idiots think is conspiracy!!
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Carbon credits might be a scam, and maybe your big pile of plastic is a real concern, but I appreciate what the band as a whole does for the community in which they live. You should do the same.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • I appreciate what the band as a whole does for the community in which they live.

i agree with that also.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    don't confuse carbon credits with cap and trade ... offsetting emissions with legitimate programs like wind power and land conservation is definitely positive ... this is the best solution outside of stop touring ...
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    If they buy rain forest or any undeveloped land with that money and make it forever wild,the plan is working.

I live in Hudson River Valley. We have a group called Scenic Hudson that buys as much land as they can along the river as well as adjacent properties. It will be forever wild and that is the end of further development along the river on those properties.

I believe that is a similar approach taken by groups that Pearl Jam supports. They are not buying fucking carbon emission credits, they are way too smart for that.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Hey... that company CLC was the company on the flyer that someone threw on stage at Lolla in 2007. Ed read the flyer out loud and then made a comment about anything that says land conservency is cool or something like that.

Pretty cool that they took note and are now working together.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thanks for the info Kat!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    people only traveled 26 mi on average to see them? that cant be accurate.... its got to be signifigantly more considering they have the most traveled fan base i can think of
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    people only traveled 26 mi on average to see them? that cant be accurate.... its got to be signifigantly more considering they have the most traveled fan base i can think of

I have been to three of their shows in the last year (2009) for a total of 2,576 miles in the car. I would say that was just a little more than 26 miles.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    While carbon credits are still questionable as to whether investing in them does anything really but make us feel better for our own guilt of having a high carbon footprint, planting trees is never a bad thing!! What I'd like to know is though - why no bio-diesel in the trucks and vans this time, like the band did in '06.

I feel that, as Stone admits as a "business owner", the band is merely doing the easy thing here...throwing money to the environmental group while wading in the publicity just before their mini tour begins. It just sounds so stiff and business-like rather than who the guys used to be, when they got their hands dirty in their causes. Will the guys be actually helping to plant those trees? If Stone and the guys aren't there with shovels in hands, it looks like things now are just easier to just give money to and leave...a purely stiff business tactic.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,842
    http://thesilvertongueonline.com/wordpr ... _trees.jpg

:thumbup:

There are others but this is all I could put my finger on at the moment. Have a lovely evening everyone! x
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat wrote:
    http://thesilvertongueonline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/gossard_trees.jpg

:thumbup:

There are others but this is all I could put my finger on at the moment. Have a lovely evening everyone! x
    Did Stone cut his HAIR??
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Did Stone cut his HAIR??

:cry:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    Hey Kat,

Is there any way you could persuade the band to do an interview for their own magazine?
    IamMine wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Did Stone cut his HAIR??

:cry:
    I'm thinking this is an old photo of him attached to the article, as Stone has helped plant trees in the past. The article's writer may not purposely try to be deceptive, but it certainly is deceiving having this photo w/ the article.
    Hey Kat,

Is there any way you could persuade the band to do an interview for their own magazine?

What a great question! The band certainly is quite detached from their fans...
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Hey Kat,

nah - i'd say this band is as close to their fans as any other
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • abistroabistro Posts: 9
    "We have analyzed our travel and become more efficient with flights and playing less dates,”

I have to admit that I was very much disappointed with this solution. If nothing else, how can you hope to improve your "business" (by pleasing your fans) if you play less tour dates? And to do so on purpose to lower your carbon footprint sounds really ridiculous. As a fan in Phoenix, if I would have not traveled anywhere else to see them, I would have not bought as much merchandise or live shows, or signed up for the tenclub membership- if I would have not traveled to see them since their last AZ show in 2003. I am sure I'm not alone when I bitch and complain about not seeing them live ENOUGH; it's what makes this band amazing after all: the live shows.
    If you play fewer shows on purpose you will be seen by less people. Less people will be introduced to your music and your causes. You will end up playing a few shows for a few elitists who will afford enormous ticket prices. You may be making the same amount of money as before while making your music (and your causes) known to less people. The wide appeal of your business (music, fan-base, lyrics, causes...) will be known only to you and a few "chosen" well-to-do fans.
    My optimism leads me to disbelieve any of this would be possible, but I don't agree that less touring is the solution to any problems. Less touring (in fewer places) means that fewer people will be able to attend shows, which will eventually raise ticket prices. This IS a reality! It's happening now. People get tenclub memberships just to sell their good tickets 10X more than what they're bought for on stubhut or other legal scalping site. And people buy these tickets at these ridiculous prices BECAUSE Pearl Jam is touring less. So there, Stone ! Your business IS suffering! I like to think of PJ as a religion, their live performances being communions, places where people can get together and get united.
    I like to believe that I am a good PJ follower and supporter and I have a very difficult time saying much negative about them. I will prove my dedication by working a shitload of overtime in the next month, then traveling from Phoenix to Boston to see PJ this summer. Feeling guilty would be as silly as PJ touring less to "save the planet".
    I would like to end by quoting the lyrics to “See me, feel me” by the Who. I believe they describe perfectly what PJ means to me. By touring less, I would get less touching and healing, therefore, fewer people would get “opinion” or “the story”. DON’T STOP TOURING LESS !!!

See Me
    Feel Me
    Touch Me
    Heal Me

Listening to you, I get the music
    Gazing at you, I get the heat
    Following you, I climb the mountain
    I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
    On you, I see the glory
    From you, I get opinion
    From you, I get the story
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    belfast1 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Hey Kat,

nah - i'd say this band is as close to their fans as any other

LOL. How do you figure?
  • I'm confused. Plant a tree. Go nuts. But.. The theory goes that they burn carbon by touring.. then they plant trees... and store carbon. They net out flat... aproximately.

So.. Why the FUCK... would they tour less?????? Same FUCKING equation right? Burn more carbon.. make more money... plant more FUCKING trees!

They can track this shit... they can try and do the right thing... I'll support it. They don't feel like touring as much because of their families and age.. I'll support that too.

I WON'T support not getting tickets to shows because they aren't playing enough dates because of their Carbon footprint. That is bonkers. Here are some alternative ideas.

Plant a fucking tree.
    Eddie.. stop smoking cigs.. burning shit gives off carbon.
    Order themselves nuclear waste barrels for their caskets to make sure that no carbon from their decomposing bodies escapes into the atmosphere for 10,000 years.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    yeah, I've never seen them less than 5 hours away
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mikepmikep Posts: 290
    here's some great info regarding carbon offsetting. This is from Canada's (probably) most reputable environmental organization (non-profit and led by our favourite most awesome canadian scientist and broadcaster named david suzuki. he rocks. oh ya and it's all science based).

First link gives the basics and tells you which offsets are better than others and why. Although tree-planting is not considered the 'best,' i think it still rocks b/c trees are nice to look at and their impact is very obvious in the local community and can turn into social events etc.
    http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Chan ... ffsets.asp

this link has more background and such...
    http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Publications ... rs.asp#top

and finally this is one company that i use and they are 'gold standard' and all that good stuff. And no i don't own stock in them lol, though i would if they were public. haha.

anyways, that's it, enjoy the info if you wanna delve in.

mike
    96-11-Tor; 03-Mont; 05,13-London;05-Kitchnr, Hamltn; 06-Deroit;08-Mont(EV); 09-Albany(EV), Philly3&4; 10,13-Buff;10-NYC, Mt View; 11-(EV) Boston,Hart,Det,PJ20,Ott,Hamltn,Winnpg,Sask,Cal,Edmntn,Van; 12-Missoula; 13-Wrigley,Pitts,Port,Spok,Cal,Van,Sea.
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 788
    LOL. How do you figure?

well from where I am their ticket prices are typically a quarter cheaper than other comparable artists playing the exact same venues

also I know that the band listens to their fans and looks out for them a lot - look at the cool shit in the ten redux package or how they look after the crowd when there's a surge at the front
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Play more cities and plant more trees. Easy solution.

As others have noted, it doesn't bode well when fans need to drive over 8 hours or fly to another city for a chance to see them play live. If everyone is concerned with the carbon footprint, then this surely must be considered.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Yes, PJ still get thier hands dirty. :roll:

What have YOU done today?
  • abistro wrote:
    "We have analyzed our travel and become more efficient with flights and playing less dates,”

I dont think Gossard likes touring :(
    Rock Werchter 4 july - 2010, Arras 3 july - 2010, Berlin Wuhlheide - June 30, 2010, Odyssey arena Belfast - 23 june 2010, O2 arena Dublin - june 22 2010, O2 arena London - Aug 18, 2009, Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009, Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009, Copenhagen 2007-06-26 Forum, London 2007-06-18 Wembley Arena, Prague 2006-09-22 Sazka Arena, Denmark 2000-06-30 Roskilde Festival, Stockholm on August 12th Mirrorball tour with Neil Young, Oslo 1993-06-27 Isle of Calf Festival(Kalvoya), Oslo Secret Club Concert 1993-06-26 Sentrum Scene
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    edited April 2010
    I'm WAY pushing up that average :oops:

including what's planned so far this year, I've clocked very roughly 80,000 miles since 2006 :shock: (and I didn't even do any Oz/NZ show!)

edit: and that's for 75 shows, so average is over a 1000 miles (only 5 of them were within 10 miles even though I live in London, even Reading was further than 26 miles)
    Post edited by Pegasus on