Options

Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    OnTheEdgeOnTheEdge Posts: 1,300
    ..during the Bush years? Brings up some interesting points .....

http://blog.buzzflash.com/contributors/3099

Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers during the Bush years?

That’s a rhetorical question, of course. But one that should be asked of the morons now breaking windows and cutting gas lines, all in the name of “freedom from big government.”

Well an old gentleman from Chico, California is asking it. From what I’m told the fellow worked as a volunteer teaching retirees about Medicare and COBRA. Here’s his open letter to Republicans. Sorry, don’t know his name, but if you do, let me know. Pass it on to your favorite Republican/Tea Party member:

We had eight years of Bush and Cheney, but now you get mad?
    •You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.
    •You didn't get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate energy policy.
    •You didn't get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.
    •You didn't get mad when the Patriot Act got passed..
    •You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us.
    •You didn't get mad when we spent $1 trillion on said illegal war.
    •You didn't get mad when over $10 billion dollars (in hard cash) just “disappeared" in Iraq .
    •You didn't get mad when you found out we were torturing people.
    •You didn't get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.
    •You didn't get mad when they didn't catch Bin Laden.
    •You didn't get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed hospital.
    •You didn't get mad when they let a major US city drown.
    •You didn't get mad when they gave a $1.6 trillion in tax breaks to the rich.
    •You didn’t get mad when, using reconciliation; a trillion dollars of our tax dollars were redirected to insurance companies for Medicare Advantage -- which cost more than 20% more for the same services that Medicare provides.
    •You didn't get mad when the deficit hit the trillion dollar mark, and our debt hit the thirteen trillion dollar mark.
    No, but you did get mad when the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick. Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, are all okay with you, but helping other Americans... oh hell no!

I got mad over many of those things.

But man.....I had no idea that if I got sick I didn't have the right to see a doctor....Holy Shit!!! :roll:
  • Options
    I bet I know where most of them were..........AT WORK! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:
    This has been posted over and over and over :roll:

a democrat threw the brick thru another democrates window...hmmmm wonder why he did that?

Why don't you address the OP instead of talking about something completely unrelated? Did you even bother to read the original post?

who didn't get mad? a lot of conservatives bitched about what was happening, is happening, and will happen in the future. If you start asking these kinds of questions it can be done for any party...why you hate conservatives so much is beyond me.

And yes, I am a freedom loving independant thinker who votes on the person not the party before you try and attack me. I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff. Guess that makes me a terrible person

*edit*
    forgot to put this in but really want it to address it.

"you weren't mad when they let a major us city drown"

This is exactly what I am talking about. Why on earth is it the government's fault? Did they create the Hurricane. The government isn't here to help everyone out of every jam they could be in. I am sorry for the people who lost their stuff and their lives, but waiting around for the government to do something is ridiculous. Because those same people would have been bitching like crazy if the government forced the evacuation and it wasn't as bad. I just don't get it. Why wait for the government to do anything for you, go do it yourself.

Wise man once said to me " if you deal with matters yourself and not depend on others you'll never have to worry if it gets done or not" it stuck with me, makes so much sense. :thumbup:
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff.

So then you should refuse to pay any taxes at all.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Byrnzie wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff.

I benefit from a lot of taxes I pay.

And to whoever wrote it earlier, I am not a conservative. But i don't believe one should wait for the federal government to do something for them. If you want the government to take care of you that is fine. I don't want to wait for them to do anything. I work for and with many government agencies, and they are all slow-moving, horrible bureaucracies with little to no actual feeling towards the people they pretend to care about.

As far as not defending a liberal point of view on these forums....seriously.... I think there are PLENTY of liberals here who need their views challenged a little.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

I benefit from a lot of taxes I pay.

And other people also benefit from the taxes you pay. Your taxes go towards roads, emergency services, public utilities, bombs, banking bailouts, garbage disposal, public transport....

But you're only angry about universal health care. Interesting.
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    who didn't get mad? a lot of conservatives bitched about what was happening, is happening, and will happen in the future. If you start asking these kinds of questions it can be done for any party...why you hate conservatives so much is beyond me.

Oh please. I can count on one hand the real "conservatives" who stood up to criticize the Bush administration for its corruption and its incompetence from day one. Most of them are Johnny-Come-Lately, rats-jumping-the-sinking-ship types. Not that I hold the Democrats any less accountable - heaven knows a lot of them bought the neocon and neoliberal agenda hook, line, and sinker, but trying to pull some phantom conservative resistance group out of thin air to counter the critique of the OP is just foolhardy.

If you think the Bush administration was the first to be corrupt or have rampant cronyism you are sadly mistaken. It isn't a party thing, it is a politician thing. Pretty sure I could make a similar list about the Clinton era, but I won't. I thought he was a pretty damn good president, but I could certainly make a list of things that liberals weren't mad about until the bush II era. It is always a two way street.
    And yes, I am a freedom loving independant thinker who votes on the person not the party before you try and attack me. I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff. Guess that makes me a terrible person

Oh? Then why are you playing devil's advocate in this thread? And why haven't I seen you defend liberals yet?
    *edit*
    forgot to put this in but really want it to address it.

"you weren't mad when they let a major us city drown"

This is exactly what I am talking about. Why on earth is it the government's fault? Did they create the Hurricane. The government isn't here to help everyone out of every jam they could be in. I am sorry for the people who lost their stuff and their lives, but waiting around for the government to do something is ridiculous. Because those same people would have been bitching like crazy if the government forced the evacuation and it wasn't as bad. I just don't get it. Why wait for the government to do anything for you, go do it yourself.

Then you've absolutely proven yourself to be a conservative by parroting the "anti-government" line. I mean, seriously, where do I start? George W. Bush appointing a horse lawyer to head FEMA, who wanted to quit in the middle of the disaster? Refusal to do something about the possible failure of the dams as early as 2001, and with Hurricane Ivan a year earler? Failure to mobilize National Guard units (oh wait, LA didn't have any to spare because they were sent to Iraq)? Failure to implement an already set evacuation plan? Not knowing that the Superdome was a primary evacuation site?

Why wait for the government? Because the government was the ONLY entity at the time that could have accomplished an orderly evacuation of the residents of New Orleans. You seriously cannot expect millions of people to have gotten out of the city in an orderly fashion by themselves. That's what the government is for.

You might be right, that might be what LOCAL government is for. Shouldn't they be blamed no matter what party they work for...

But as a result of his incompetence, George W. Bush fucked up an entire city and its population for generations to come.

I know people who were directly affected by the disaster, and your fawning concern and inane arguments are frankly an insult to the millions of good, innocent people who were let down by that disastrous administration.

To quote those notorious left wing liberals in the Cato Institute: (ibid):
    The administration underestimated the problem, failed to plan for the predictable aftermath and refused to accept responsibility for its actions.

Don't really want to hijack the thread, but it isn't fawning concern. I legitimately feel terrible for the people of new orleans. I donated a shit load of money to help in the weeks following. Sucks when everything you own is destroyed. I know that from experience.

It wasn't an anti-government line, it was actually defending the role of government. It isn't to take care of every single problem anyone might go through. Are you telling me that the people of new orleans have it rougher than those living on the street. Should we solve everyone's problems for them... I don't have anyone lining up to pay my bills for me, my credit problems are my own, I am not asking for help because I need to take responsibility for them and take care of them on my own.

I am not parroting anything, I do happen to think for myself. I just don't want the government involved in my day to day life. Sorry, guess we will have to agree to disagree.

And I said it in an earlier post but there does not seem to be any shortage of liberals on these boards, so challenging the standard liberal ideals is much more important. If this place was mostly conservative I would probably unleash some of my liberal ideas. Personally i think the best thing for the country is a little bit of both.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

But you're only angry about universal health care. Interesting.

I am not just angry about universal health care at all. I am "angry" about a lot more. I am angry about paying for a war I do not support, I am angry that my dollars are put into an education system that is failing, I am angry that here in minnesota we have a giant welfare program that does nothing to solve the problems plaguing the poor in our state. I am angry that someone who was elected with a shit load of good will and pledged bi-partisanship has done nothing to curb those that have hijacked the democratic party and made it as partisan as any I can remember. I am angry about a lot of stuff, just ask, all we have ever really posted back and forth about was healthcare, but I have no problem having rational discussions about this stuff all day long. I love it actually.

"But you're only angry about universal health care. Interesting."

seriously, what does this add to the discussion? I could probably do something smarmy like this in every thread you post in, there is no need for it. And don't assume anything about me, you have no idea what I am or am not angry about.
    *edit*
    thought of more stuff I am angry about in case you want to discuss it. I am outraged that the government tells people who they can and cannot marry. In fact this is a strange view point that I am suprised more conservatives don't share. While some may not agree with homosexuality, me personally I don't care who anyone falls in love with, it seems like the bigger issue should be government intrusion. I really don't like how a lot of conservatives claim they don't want government in their lives but then forget that when gay marriage is being discussed.
    also, funding sports teams with state money, gas taxes that are only supposed to go to roads but whose fund has been raided time and time again by the state government in MN, administrators at failing schools getting raises and teachers who do a poor job getting tenure simply because of a union. seems like I could go on forever
    - Joe Rogan