Options

Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers.....

flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
edited April 2010 in A Moving Train
..during the Bush years? Brings up some interesting points .....

http://blog.buzzflash.com/contributors/3099

Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers during the Bush years?

That’s a rhetorical question, of course. But one that should be asked of the morons now breaking windows and cutting gas lines, all in the name of “freedom from big government.”

Well an old gentleman from Chico, California is asking it. From what I’m told the fellow worked as a volunteer teaching retirees about Medicare and COBRA. Here’s his open letter to Republicans. Sorry, don’t know his name, but if you do, let me know. Pass it on to your favorite Republican/Tea Party member:

We had eight years of Bush and Cheney, but now you get mad?
•You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.
•You didn't get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate energy policy.
•You didn't get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.
•You didn't get mad when the Patriot Act got passed..
•You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us.
•You didn't get mad when we spent $1 trillion on said illegal war.
•You didn't get mad when over $10 billion dollars (in hard cash) just “disappeared" in Iraq .
•You didn't get mad when you found out we were torturing people.
•You didn't get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.
•You didn't get mad when they didn't catch Bin Laden.
•You didn't get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed hospital.
•You didn't get mad when they let a major US city drown.
•You didn't get mad when they gave a $1.6 trillion in tax breaks to the rich.
•You didn’t get mad when, using reconciliation; a trillion dollars of our tax dollars were redirected to insurance companies for Medicare Advantage -- which cost more than 20% more for the same services that Medicare provides.
•You didn't get mad when the deficit hit the trillion dollar mark, and our debt hit the thirteen trillion dollar mark.
No, but you did get mad when the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick. Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, are all okay with you, but helping other Americans... oh hell no!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I'd like to see some of the flag-sucking couch potatoes respond to this.
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    •You didn't get mad when the Supreme Court stopped a legal recount and appointed a President.

the hilarious thing about this one is it was state law that there be a recount, that's why they had to go to the supreme court. then when that thing in california happened forcing the governor out, when it went to court the republicans cried about the democrats abusing the legal system to circumvent state law. make up your minds already
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,156
    they were too busy worrying about the next american idol and when they will get the next flame broiled whopper to give a shit....we were givin' freedom to some muslims that were too stupid to realize what they were missin' out on....

that was a good post by the OP by the way. i'm sure someone will call us stupid liberals or something, but name calling is all they have. they get angry when confronted with the facts about how they got duped by the last administration...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    they were too busy worrying about the next american idol and when they will get the next flame broiled whopper to give a shit....we were givin' freedom to some muslims that were too stupid to realize what they were missin' out on....

that was a good post by the OP by the way. i'm sure someone will call us stupid liberals or something, but name calling is all they have. they get angry when confronted with the facts about how they got duped by the last administration...

it was funny when it got near the end of his 2nd term a lot of the rats jumped ship when it was obvious a lot of the country we fed up with their direction, like andrew sullivan. he was one of bush's biggest defenders until he had a year or 2 left and democrats took control in '06
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Great read. Thanks to the OP for posting. I've often had similar thoughts, but could never get my ideas down on paper anywhere near as well as this.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Stypo420Stypo420 Posts: 519
    I enjoyed your post.

YOU DID GET MAD WHEN YOU SAW THE NEW GUY WAS BLACK!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    This thread must have a bug that only tea buggers get. :? :P
  • Options
    I see that no right-wingers have responded to this thread. I wonder why?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I see that no right-wingers have responded to this thread. I wonder why?

I was going to say they won't touch this thread with a 10 ft pole.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    No joke.. times are crazy....madness....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I'll tell you where this moderate Orange County Conservative was...
    Angry that the Republican Administration and Republican lead Congress was acting so irresponsibly after all that 'Contract With America' bullshit. They didn't bring 'dignity and responsibility to government... they did things that went against Conservative values that I believe in by choosing to go to a war of choice, not neccessity. Granting so much power to the Executive Branch, rather than maintaining the responsibilities assigned to them by our Constitution.
    I was angry about the ever expanding size of an intrusive government that shunned the principles of law and order with illegal wiretaps of Americans. if they want to wiretap my phone.. fine.. just get a goddamn warrant that is granted to me by our Bill of Rights.
    I hated the attempt to politicize the Judicial Branch by trying to slip in a political ally (Harriett Meirs) that was owed political capital. Sick of the way FEMA was dismantled by placing incompetent people in lead positions... sick of the way they shirked responsibility and accountability for poor decisions. Sick of the excuses, such as 'going to war with the Army you have' instead of doing whatever it takes to protect the lives of the men and women they sent into harm's way... and the disgraceful way war casualties were treated when they were deemed no longer suited to fight. And appalled by the way Conservatives attacked a decorated war veteran, in the name of political gains. If you question one Purple Heart and Navy Star recepient, you question them all. They don't just hand those medals of valor out to just anyone... like cheap Cracker Jack trinkets.
    The Republican Party drove me away... I did not leave. They continued to drive me further away with the Karl Rove never-ending campaigning that has divided our country in the worst way possible... along political party lines.
    I railled against all of this because i am not going to follow any political party agenda. And if it were a President Gore that did the same exact things... I would be saying the same goddamn things about him.
    And yeah... I supported President Bush (even though I didn't vote for him when he went to bed with the Conservative Christian coalition of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson) in the days and weeks folling September 11, 2001 and the war in Afghanistan. He lost me when he diverted focus and resources from Afghanistan and went into Iraq to settle a personal vendetta. And it was all downhill from there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    This has been posted over and over and over :roll:

a democrat threw the brick thru another democrates window...hmmmm wonder why he did that?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    aerial wrote:

a democrat threw the brick thru another democrates window...hmmmm wonder why he did that?

Why don't you address the OP instead of talking about something completely unrelated? Did you even bother to read the original post?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's funny how anyone who supports the TEA Party was for Bush. I voted FOR Gore and Kerry for President and FOR Obama for Senate.

Use a real broad brush will ya?
  • Options
    unsung wrote:
    It's funny how anyone who supports the TEA Party was for Bush. I voted FOR Gore and Kerry for President and FOR Obama for Senate.

Use a real broad brush will ya?

The OP doesn't claim that you needed to have voted for Bush. This is what it asks: 'Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers during the Bush years?'

Now how about you answer the question?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I was doing what I could to get Bush out of office. That included making phone calls and pounding the pavement knocking on doors trying to get out the vote.

Why do you even care anyway?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    unsung wrote:
    I was doing what I could to get Bush out of office. That included making phone calls and pounding the pavement knocking on doors trying to get out the vote.

Why do you even care anyway?

I don't. The original post asked where all the right wingers - now screaming about government corruption - were during the Bush years. It didn't ask where Unsung was during the Bush years.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    Well I'm going to my first TEA Party rally April 15th. So I'll be in the club bitching too.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Clown's to the left of me
    Joker's to the right
    Here I am
    Stuck in the middle with you... :lol:

Great old song !....timeless

Godfather.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

Why don't you address the OP instead of talking about something completely unrelated? Did you even bother to read the original post?
    a democrat threw the brick thru another democrates window...hmmmm wonder why he did that?[/
    the morons now breaking windows

Why do you libs keep asking where were the right wingers...over and over and over
    And it has been answered over and over and over
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    Why do you libs keep asking where were the right wingers...over and over and over

It hasn't been answered.

So where were you? Care to address any of the points raised in the OP?
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

It hasn't been answered.

Where were you? in China?
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

It hasn't been answered.

During the Bush years? Mostly in England. And I took part in an Anti-Bush demonstration in London in 2003 or 2004 protesting a visit to London by that jackass.
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

It hasn't been answered.

you shouldn't answer a question with a question :P
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    ..during the Bush years? Brings up some interesting points .....

http://blog.buzzflash.com/contributors/3099

Where were all these “freedom-loving” right wingers during the Bush years?

That’s a rhetorical question, of course. But one that should be asked of the morons now breaking windows and cutting gas lines, all in the name of “freedom from big government.”

Well an old gentleman from Chico, California is asking it. From what I’m told the fellow worked as a volunteer teaching retirees about Medicare and COBRA. Here’s his open letter to Republicans. Sorry, don’t know his name, but if you do, let me know. Pass it on to your favorite Republican/Tea Party member:

We had eight years of Bush and Cheney, but now you get mad?
    •You didn't get mad when Cheney allowed Energy company officials to dictate energy policy.
    •You didn't get mad when a covert CIA operative got outed.
    •You didn't get mad when we illegally invaded a country that posed no threat to us.
    •You didn't get mad when over $10 billion dollars (in hard cash) just “disappeared" in Iraq .
    •You didn't get mad when you found out we were torturing people.
    •You didn't get mad when the government was illegally wiretapping Americans.
    •You didn't get mad when they didn't catch Bin Laden.
    •You didn't get mad when you saw the horrible conditions at Walter Reed hospital.
    •You didn't get mad when they let a major US city drown.
    •You didn't get mad when they gave a $1.6 trillion in tax breaks to the rich.
    •You didn’t get mad when, using reconciliation; a trillion dollars of our tax dollars were redirected to insurance companies for Medicare Advantage -- which cost more than 20% more for the same services that Medicare provides.
    •You didn't get mad when the deficit hit the trillion dollar mark, and our debt hit the thirteen trillion dollar mark.
    No, but you did get mad when the government decided that people in America deserved the right to see a doctor if they are sick. Yes, illegal wars, lies, corruption, torture, stealing your tax dollars to make the rich richer, are all okay with you, but helping other Americans... oh hell no!

First of all how the hell do you know if any of these issues made republicans or conservatives mad or not ? Is this guy fucking psychic ? But I will say that yeah a lot of people were not paying attention to what is been hapening untill now,and some still aren't. Don't even say or think that it has to do with race because if that were the case Obama never would have been elected president in the first place.
    What ? Just because we weren't protesting in the streets about these issues doesn't mean we weren't paying attention or gave anyone a pass. Most conservatives I know make their voices heard at the voting booth. Ever heard of the silent majority ?

and some of these questions are really stupid like,•You didn't get mad when they let a major US city drown.
    Um hello it was a democratic mayor and Govenor who didn't know what the fuck they were doing when it came to evacuating their own people,and a lot of those people didn't have any form of transportation. There's pleanty of blame to go around from the local branches all the way up to the feds. To say republicans didn't get mad is a pretty stupid comment.

and we didn't get mad when OBL was not caught ? :roll: :wtf: :lol:

and when did anyone ever say no one didn't have the right to see a doctor. Um news Flash It is illegal for any hospital or E.R. to turn anyone away. Case and point . One time I got a staff infection in my index finger. I din't have any ins. I went to the E.R. twice in two weeks,and on my second visit I was hospitalized at MUSC for 2 days. No one is denied in this country if you need medical atention.

You mean that thing that Obama just signed in the cover of darkness so no one would see him signing it. You mean that peice of paper that he said he wouldn't sign ? You mean the same law that was voted on in the senate with a voice vote so none of the senators would have their name attached to it ? That thing ?

You mean the same war that Obama has killed more people in 15 months than Bush did in 8 years ?

I mean this is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen started on here. :roll:
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

who didn't get mad? a lot of conservatives bitched about what was happening, is happening, and will happen in the future. If you start asking these kinds of questions it can be done for any party...why you hate conservatives so much is beyond me.

And yes, I am a freedom loving independant thinker who votes on the person not the party before you try and attack me. I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff. Guess that makes me a terrible person

*edit*
    forgot to put this in but really want it to address it.

"you weren't mad when they let a major us city drown"

This is exactly what I am talking about. Why on earth is it the government's fault? Did they create the Hurricane. The government isn't here to help everyone out of every jam they could be in. I am sorry for the people who lost their stuff and their lives, but waiting around for the government to do something is ridiculous. Because those same people would have been bitching like crazy if the government forced the evacuation and it wasn't as bad. I just don't get it. Why wait for the government to do anything for you, go do it yourself.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

It hasn't been answered.

aerial wrote:
    [Where were you? in China?

During the Bush years? Mostly in England. And I took part in an Anti-Bush demonstration in London in 2003 or 2004 protesting a visit to London by that jackass.
    Not wanting to get personal, but life was a little complicate for my family and I until about two years ago......and this is just an example why not everyone could get involved at the time..

we can’t expect everyone to agree on everything......but we can still be civil to each other
    Concerning your Anti-Bush demonstration, even if I had not agreed with it. I say "GOOD for you!" Because I admire people that make a stand for the things that are important to them. I was not a Bush fan, but I was not involved to much back then with politics......
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    aerial wrote:

who didn't get mad? a lot of conservatives bitched about what was happening, is happening, and will happen in the future. If you start asking these kinds of questions it can be done for any party...why you hate conservatives so much is beyond me.

And yes, I am a freedom loving independant thinker who votes on the person not the party before you try and attack me. I was and still am against the war in iraq and no i don't want to pay for other peoples stuff. Guess that makes me a terrible person

*edit*

This is exactly what I am talking about. Why on earth is it the government's fault? Did they create the Hurricane. The government isn't here to help everyone out of every jam they could be in. I am sorry for the people who lost their stuff and their lives, but waiting around for the government to do something is ridiculous. Because those same people would have been bitching like crazy if the government forced the evacuation and it wasn't as bad. I just don't get it. Why wait for the government to do anything for you, go do it yourself.
    :clap:
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,802
    I am "freedom-loving" and I would say that I'm classically right wing, so I'll take a stab.

W.'s views on foreign policy during his campaign were actually classically conservative and even non-interventionist. Then of course, September 11th changed everything. During the Bush years, most of the freedom-loving right wingers (as well as quite a few lefties) were fearmongered into trading liberty for security in a post-9/11 world. They let the tv and the administration talk and think for them and honestly (but wrongfully) saw the war machine and all the associated spending as necessary to fend off terrorism. Slow to awaken to the bullshit, it took many of them 6 to 8 years to realize this, and W. might have been the lamest of lame ducks in the history of the presidency-- millions of anti-war protestors were hardly an afterthought to that guy-- no one was going to change his (or Cheney's) mind. TARP was signed with less than 2 months before the election, and was also supported by both Obama and McCain. Along comes Barry winning the presidency by promising change. The damage had been done already, and the guy chose to step into take the toughest job in the world. Everyone knows that Bush wasn't listening to the people, so maybe this next guy would? I guess for some that meant January '09 was time to start yelling because it might actually be heard this time.

I always blow this guy up on here, because I love everything he stands for. I believe that Ron Paul's emergence onto the scene in 2007 sparked a revolution among conservatives to recall old-school conservatism, and not the neo-conservatism that dominated the 2000s. It was there that the original tea parties were held, mostly as "money bombs" and fundraisers. It was there that the idea of protest and revolution cracked the "right" and as it got more popular last year, it was infiltrated by the likes of FOX News-- who ironically edited Dr. Paul out of the presidential debates in 2008.

For one thing, until 2007, no one on the "right" actually even knew that there was a leader of the fiscally conservative and socially "liberal" movement that the good Doctor embraces. Until this guy started making some waves, no one ever thought to challenge the Republican Party establishment to be what it was born to be-- for limited federal government in all forms-- it seemed impossible after 8 years of neo-conservatism dominating conservative circles. The mainstream media did it's best to discredit or ignore people like Ron Paul, until they simply couldn't any more. Ultimately, Bush and the Neocons had failed their party. The "security" spending has not made us any safer, nor has destroying our civil liberties in the name of that same security, nor has corporate-welfare fixed our economy.

So the tea parties are a mixture of people who are libertarian-minded people who have always wanted to see limited government, but have never had their movement see any momentum until recently. Another part of the mixture are neo-cons who have their blinders on completely and fail to acknowledge that all of the spending Bush did only set precedent for the current administration to again raise the bar in terms of growth of government and subsequent spending.

And yes, a small portion of these people are just plain racist, or morons, or haters. They exist in different bodies in every circle, and the best way to demonize an honest movement is to put a magnifying glass focused strictly on those specific people.

In summary, most of the true freedom-lovers were fragmented and unaware that there were others like them anywhere, or were unaware of any existing leadership that could be taken seriously by the mainstream.
    The "fake" ones were just waiting for January to erupt, and the morons are just morons.

All in all, it's a perfect storm for everyone to disagree. If people want to see change in this country through the electoral process, it's best to start searching for the good people early and start supporting them regardless of party.
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    mikepegg44 wrote:

Oh please. I can count on one hand the real "conservatives" who stood up to criticize the Bush administration for its corruption and its incompetence from day one. Most of them are Johnny-Come-Lately, rats-jumping-the-sinking-ship types. Not that I hold the Democrats any less accountable - heaven knows a lot of them bought the neocon and neoliberal agenda hook, line, and sinker, but trying to pull some phantom conservative resistance group out of thin air to counter the critique of the OP is just foolhardy.

Oh? Then why are you playing devil's advocate in this thread? And why haven't I seen you defend liberals yet?
    *edit*

Then you've absolutely proven yourself to be a conservative by parroting the "anti-government" line. I mean, seriously, where do I start? George W. Bush appointing a horse lawyer to head FEMA, who wanted to quit in the middle of the disaster? Refusal to do something about the possible failure of the dams as early as 2001, and with Hurricane Ivan a year earler? Failure to mobilize National Guard units (oh wait, LA didn't have any to spare because they were sent to Iraq)? Failure to implement an already set evacuation plan? Not knowing that the Superdome was a primary evacuation site?

Why wait for the government? Because the government was the ONLY entity at the time that could have accomplished an orderly evacuation of the residents of New Orleans. You seriously cannot expect millions of people to have gotten out of the city in an orderly fashion by themselves. That's what the government is for.

But as a result of his incompetence, George W. Bush fucked up an entire city and its population for generations to come.

I know people who were directly affected by the disaster, and your fawning concern and inane arguments are frankly an insult to the millions of good, innocent people who were let down by that disastrous administration.

To quote those notorious left wing liberals in the Cato Institute: (ibid):
    The administration underestimated the problem, failed to plan for the predictable aftermath and refused to accept responsibility for its actions.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"